Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

QuarkJets posted:

Unclear. You never know which influential people might be influenced by crackpot sources.

Yeah. An avowedly pro-science guy like Bill Maher still listens to anti-vax poo poo. Seems hard to determine if there's a common denominator for single-issue scientific illiteracy amongst otherwise sensible people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Pander posted:

Yeah. An avowedly pro-science guy like Bill Maher still listens to anti-vax poo poo. Seems hard to determine if there's a common denominator for single-issue scientific illiteracy amongst otherwise sensible people.

And Bill Nye, who goes around mocking global warming deniers, is an anti-gmo nutbar.

We came down from the trees too early.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Phanatic posted:

And Bill Nye, who goes around mocking global warming deniers, is an anti-gmo nutbar.

We came down from the trees too early.

Bill Nye's been called out on it and challenged to a debate.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Dec 26, 2014

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Have scientists figured out how to store solar power like batteries yet? Or will we need to rely on pure electric power for a few decades more as a prime source of alternative energy?

Also how much longer till we finally figure out fusion power? I hear a battery of that stuff could last decades.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Grouchio posted:

Have scientists figured out how to store solar power like batteries yet? Or will we need to rely on pure electric power for a few decades more as a prime source of alternative energy?

Also how much longer till we finally figure out fusion power? I hear a battery of that stuff could last decades.

I heard if you put up two mirrors opposite to each other, you can trap light.

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012
Also, if you put small wind turbines on an electric car it will power itself as you drive forward. Unlimited mileage per charge. If only those dirty oil companies didn't hold the patent.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Vermont Yankee shutdown today. :smith: Sure, it had its mismanagement issues, but it'll likely be replaced with Natural Gas.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Vermont Yankee shutdown today. :smith: Sure, it had its mismanagement issues, but it'll likely be replaced with Natural Gas.

Seeing as they shut down because they couldn't compete with Natural Gas on a price basis, its not too surprising.

But loosing 620MW won't be as bad as SONGS going offline because of error.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

QuarkJets posted:

so if you want to go to 100% solar thermal for US power then you're pretty much forever doomed to paving over the entire state of Texas in order to do so.
What is wrong with doing this? Can it not be spread out across states in what is currently widely un-used space? If Texans care so much couldn't we just annex Mexico and cover that instead?

i am harry fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Dec 30, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

i am harry posted:

What is wrong with doing this? Can it not be spread out across states in what is currently widely un-used space? If Texans care so much couldn't we just annex Mexico and cover that instead?

Animals live in the desert too.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

i am harry posted:

What is wrong with doing this?

Massive habitat destruction no matter how spread out or where you build it, if you're going to build a lot of it.

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012

i am harry posted:

A lot of land that is desirable for solar is also desirable for things like habitation and farming AFAIK.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Nintendo Kid posted:

Massive habitat destruction no matter how spread out or where you build it, if you're going to build a lot of it.
Have you ever driven through Texas? It's huge. The materials and processes to create enough solar material to cover that much land area, independent of environmental concerns, should be staggering.

It's a matter of scale. Covering a significant portion of the continent with solar arrays seems irresponsible for a number of reasons.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

What kind of service life does a large scale solar-thermal plant have? I imagine that highly reflective panels aren't exactly the most robust things in the world.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Rent-A-Cop posted:

What kind of service life does a large scale solar-thermal plant have? I imagine that highly reflective panels aren't exactly the most robust things in the world.

I'm seeing around 30 years, maybe 50.

As for solar panels, most manufacturers seem to guarantee at least 80% of rated power output at 25 years of age, and after that it's kind of unknown.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

computer parts posted:

I'm seeing around 30 years, maybe 50.
The idea of paving over Texas with solar just reminded me that Texas has massive sandstorms and baseball sized hail so I was wondering exactly how robust those big reflectors are.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Rent-A-Cop posted:

The idea of paving over Texas with solar just reminded me that Texas has massive sandstorms and baseball sized hail so I was wondering exactly how robust those big reflectors are.

Hmm, speaking of which it brings to mind the little problem the solar bikepath in the Netherlands had:

https://twitter.com/PercyTwits/status/548754743557128192/photo/1

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Nintendo Kid posted:

Hmm, speaking of which it brings to mind the little problem the solar bikepath in the Netherlands had:

https://twitter.com/PercyTwits/status/548754743557128192/photo/1
Did somebody forget it gets cold in the Netherlands?

Edit: Is it "the Netherlands" or just "Netherlands" like Ukraine?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Did somebody forget it gets cold in the Netherlands?

Edit: Is it "the Netherlands" or just "Netherlands" like Ukraine?

Well the whole point of building the bike path as test bed was to determine whether or not the cold would be a real problem.

It's either/or for the name. The official name in Dutch is Nederland or "Koninkrijk der Nederlanden" which includes the overseas parts.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Not much is robust enough to survive hailstorms. Drove through Blair Nebraska recently when I visited a nearby nuke plant, the entire town had to replace siding, roofs, and windows due to a massive hailstorm a year prior.

Some pictures a bit down in this blog post.

Took out windshields like they were nothing. I'd imagine low-probability high-damage weather events are included in risk assessment of solar deployments.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Pander posted:

Not much is robust enough to survive hailstorms. Drove through Blair Nebraska recently when I visited a nearby nuke plant, the entire town had to replace siding, roofs, and windows due to a massive hailstorm a year prior.

Took out windshields like they were nothing. I'd imagine low-probability high-damage weather events are included in risk assessment of solar deployments.

Sweet merciful.....:catstare:

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Pander posted:

Perhaps more relevant, it doesn't sound like the nuclear plant was damaged.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

But what if it was. Nuclear plants have to withstand up to 50cm 1m hailstones and terroristic blue ice attacks. :tinfoil::atoms:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Lurking Haro posted:

But what if it was. Nuclear plants have to withstand up to 50cm 1m hailstones and terroristic blue ice attacks. :tinfoil::atoms:

We have a real need to worry about rocket propelled hail stones penetrating the containment dome.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

It wasn't. They executed emergency procedures related to tornado missile damage just in case. I wasn't there at the time and don't recall specifics. If there was damage, it was likely to the switchyard or transformer yard, and mostly superficial. The reactor and auxiliary buildings themselves are 3' of reinforced concrete, which doesn't really mind hail. The turbine building is a little wonkier since it's not critical to the safety of the plant, but I'm pretty sure I'd have heard if it was damaged.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Pander posted:

It wasn't. They executed emergency procedures related to tornado missile damage just in case. I wasn't there at the time and don't recall specifics. If there was damage, it was likely to the switchyard or transformer yard, and mostly superficial. The reactor and auxiliary buildings themselves are 3' of reinforced concrete, which doesn't really mind hail. The turbine building is a little wonkier since it's not critical to the safety of the plant, but I'm pretty sure I'd have heard if it was damaged.

The Turbine buildings are still usually made of pretty heavy stuff, as most of them have to support a gantry crane, so maybe some dents in the roof but I can't imagine much else could happen.

Smashed Windows I'm sure.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

The Turbine buildings are still usually made of pretty heavy stuff, as most of them have to support a gantry crane, so maybe some dents in the roof but I can't imagine much else could happen.

Smashed Windows I'm sure.

Not sure how much I can get into it, but this turbine building in particular has some very unusual roofs over a couple large rooms.

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx
http://www.euractiv.com/sections/health-consumers/researchers-link-air-pollution-heart-diseases-311038

And of course this does not take into account all the people that die extracting and transporting fossil fuels.

But remember. Nuclear power is the real threat.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

crabcakes66 posted:

http://www.euractiv.com/sections/health-consumers/researchers-link-air-pollution-heart-diseases-311038

And of course this does not take into account all the people that die extracting and transporting fossil fuels.

But remember. Nuclear power is the real threat.

I had one guy who was screaming about how the tailings from Uranium mining are so evil, while praising coal and couldn't understand why we were a little disconcerted that Uranium mining has less of a footprint than open pit coal mining.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Air pollution is also one of the few things that's been linked to autism.

The best way to get nukes built is probably for someone to push them on Oprah.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Tunicate posted:

The people stopping nuclear power in the US aren't the general public, the NIMBYs, or the greens. Its the power companies and the price coal/gas.

But I'm sure someone here will argue that the greens are to blame for SONGS and that really Crystal River shut down because of NIMBYs.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Tunicate posted:

Air pollution is also one of the few things that's been linked to autism.

Oprah pushed anti-vaccination and other bullshit, so good luck getting someone pro-nuclear on the show.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

The people stopping nuclear power in the US aren't the general public, the NIMBYs, or the greens. Its the power companies and the price coal/gas.

But I'm sure someone here will argue that the greens are to blame for SONGS and that really Crystal River shut down because of NIMBYs.
The general public really, really don't like nuclear so I'm pretty sure they had a hand in it.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Anosmoman posted:

The general public really, really don't like nuclear so I'm pretty sure they had a hand in it.

Edit: That's a poll of the global community. I was talking about nuclear power in the US.

Also, Gallop shows vastly different results for the US:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ironically, as soon as people see their electric bills the chart reverses itself

lapse
Jun 27, 2004

edit: oops, somehow I was back 10 pages in the thread.

Have a pretty picture in the meantime of our Nuclear Future

lapse fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 6, 2015

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

lapse posted:

I love nuclear power but there's no way that I'm putting a nuclear reactor in my trunk

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

lapse posted:

As much as I love RTGs, keep them in space please.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

As much as I love RTGs, keep them in space please.

Oh no, the Nucleon was going* to be a full steam loop :getin:

*In the same way all concept cars are "going to be," but never were meant to be built.

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Trabisnikof posted:

Oh no, the Nucleon was going to be a full steam loop :getin:

Oh, I know.

It'd be cool to see one working. Not cool to actually see one going down the road.