Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Cake Attack posted:

Its basically what you'd expect. Naoto and kanji, yukari and junpei, that sorta thing

Are there any pairings of P4 and P3 characters? I know that Teddie and Koromaru kind of form a rapport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I have 9 hours in Persona Q so far and I just want to say that this game is amazing and as a fan of Persona 3 and 4, I am in love.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Are there any pairings of P4 and P3 characters? I know that Teddie and Koromaru kind of form a rapport.

Kanji and koromaru do, I know

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
Even if panic doesn't stick, having beefed up myriad arrows on Kanji, Chie, and Orgia Aigis still gets the job done. The bonus bosses were cake.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I said come in! posted:

I have 9 hours in Persona Q so far and I just want to say that this game is amazing and as a fan of Persona 3 and 4, I am in love.

I like it a lot but I'm currently in Maze 3 and it's sort of getting samey

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I like it a lot but I'm currently in Maze 3 and it's sort of getting samey

Evil Spirit Club is the peak :ssh:

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Yeah, Evil Spirit Club is the best labyrinth. Inaba Pride Festival is the worst. The final labyrinth isn't too bad IMO but those last two floors are so interconnected that they feel like a single ginormous floor which takes forever and kinda drags on a bit too long.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The last labyrinth takes too long either way, but yeah the last two floors are the worst of it.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

The first seven floors take like, a half hour total to get through. They're tiny.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

They're dull.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Wow the Inaba Pride Exhibit sucks

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Is there a list of the characters who banter together? My team doesn't do much in the way of bantering in battle (MC3, Junpei, Akihiko, Zen, Naoto).

Usual suspects aside, Kanji and Shinjiro get a few lines if Koro is hurt/KO'd. Yosuke gets lines with both Teddie and Chie.

Ken and Kanji, Kanji and Koromaru, Teddie and Koromaru. I've also heard Teddie and Aigis get some lines, but I haven't confirmed that myself. Naoto and Mitsuru might have some, but again I haven't confirmed that personally.

Volt Catfish posted:

Wow the Inaba Pride Exhibit sucks

I know people don't like it but I actually found the puzzles decent. The annoying aspects for me were the encounter rate and the possibility of blocking yourself off with an FOE, which more or less forces you to Goho-M or Goba-K.

Evil Spirit Club was my low point. Uninspired puzzles, and not even a way to bulldoze through it on repeat runs.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

ApplesandOranges posted:

Naoto and Mitsuru might have some, but again I haven't confirmed that personally.

I had them together in my party a lot and I don't recall hearing anything that really brought to mind "banter," beyond individual lines for both.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Yukiko also has specific death lines for Koromaru I think

Argent Cinereus
Feb 25, 2013
I also remember Chie having some lines if Koromaru gets knocked out.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
So basically, Koromaru and Everyone.

If/when I ever play this game for the P4 route, I'll have to stick him in.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It makes sense a lot of characters get lines for him, since his own battle lines just have barks, growls and whimpers.

Does Ken even have banter?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Who would use Ken to find out? Ken sucks. It'd probably be with Kanji, and maybe Shinji and Koromaru.

ApplesandOranges posted:

I know people don't like it but I actually found the puzzles decent. The annoying aspects for me were the encounter rate and the possibility of blocking yourself off with an FOE, which more or less forces you to Goho-M or Goba-K.

This is why you just kill them first.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

ApplesandOranges posted:

At least that dungeon also gives you the Goba-K More in a 100% Map chest. The encounter rate is what made it the biggest slog, imo(even with Naoto ending 99% of battles on turn one). I know Theo sells the rate lowering items, but the first one barely does poo poo and the second one unlocks way too late.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I've been playing this over the holidays on and off, and I'm at the final dungeon now, and fuuuuuuck Luxury Hands. They're practically more lethal than the FOEs, what with having three unhittable assholes spamming Megidolaon and chain stunning your entire team turn after turn. Geez.

So far, the characters being a bit more one-dimensional hasn't bothered me too much (and Kanji does get some better scenes later in the game), but combat kind of turned boring after Naoto picked up Mahama(on)/Mamudo(on). Bosses are okay, mostly because you can't one-shot them.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The same stuff works on them as does on FOEs, only they are also not immune to instant death. Panic them and then they die in one hit. Agility bind is also really good since they can't dodge and eventually Myriad Arrows will crit.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I'm almost done with the Inaba Pride Festival. I just have to finish slogging through the fourth floor.

I can taste my freedom from this awful dungeon. It's so...drat...close...

The last two dungeons after this one are better designed, yes?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Dexie posted:

I'm almost done with the Inaba Pride Festival. I just have to finish slogging through the fourth floor.

I can taste my freedom from this awful dungeon. It's so...drat...close...

The last two dungeons after this one are better designed, yes?

There's no postgame dungeon, just the 5th one.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Dr. Fetus posted:

That's certainly a relief to hear.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Dr. Fetus posted:

The last one is longer but the only big floors are the last two.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Manatee Cannon posted:

The same stuff works on them as does on FOEs, only they are also not immune to instant death. Panic them and then they die in one hit. Agility bind is also really good since they can't dodge and eventually Myriad Arrows will crit.

Whelp, none of my persona have Tentarafoo, agility binds or Myriad Arrows, so I guess that plan is out. Really though, what annoys me more than anything is the constant knockdown. Granted, the FOEs cast Mamudoon which has a tendency to kill everyone who isn't immune to it (i.e. everyone except Souji*), but at least I can dodge them.

I should really get better persona though. But it's hard to care when Naoto instantly explodes pretty much everything else I come across without breaking a sweat.

* Seriously, how hard can it be to make sure the mostly-canonical name fits in the name entry? I pondered "Narukm Yuu" for a while but it looked even dumber, so I caved and he's Seta Souji now.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Whelp, none of my persona have Tentarafoo, agility binds or Myriad Arrows, so I guess that plan is out. Really though, what annoys me more than anything is the constant knockdown. Granted, the FOEs cast Mamudoon which has a tendency to kill everyone who isn't immune to it (i.e. everyone except Souji*), but at least I can dodge them.

I should really get better persona though. But it's hard to care when Naoto instantly explodes pretty much everything else I come across without breaking a sweat.

* Seriously, how hard can it be to make sure the mostly-canonical name fits in the name entry? I pondered "Narukm Yuu" for a while but it looked even dumber, so I caved and he's Seta Souji now.

You won't get any good combat tips in this thread. Every answer is going to be "kill them with panic:smug:" your best bet for actual answers would be gamefaqs where there's still some smugness but they also help.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Len posted:

You won't get any good combat tips in this thread. Every answer is going to be "kill them with panic:smug:" your best bet for actual answers would be gamefaqs where there's still some smugness but they also help.

I don't have a problem with any of the FOEs, though? All the ones I've come across have been manageable. The Luxury Hands though... they fill me with unreasonable dread.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I don't have a problem with any of the FOEs, though? All the ones I've come across have been manageable. The Luxury Hands though... they fill me with unreasonable dread.

Yeah I wrote FOE at first on accident. But literally any and all tips you'll get is "hit it with panic" even when you're on a boss immune to panic.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

You really should get Binds on at least one Persona user. It's extremely powerful. However even if you're not binding, any status effect has a really big impact on them. However you can also substitute the Agility/Hit buff/debuffs as well. They are not as good but you can cast them from Leader Spells in addition to character spells and they have a tremendous impact on your ability to hit dodgy enemies.

Len posted:

I don't get your weird thing but Panic has a tested hit rate so, yeah, it's pretty much a good solution to anything and your bad luck doesn't change that. The solution to most problems in the game is "debuff it."

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

ImpAtom posted:

You really should get Binds on at least one Persona user. It's extremely powerful. However even if you're not binding, any status effect has a really big impact on them. However you can also substitute the Agility/Hit buff/debuffs as well. They are not as good but you can cast them from Leader Spells in addition to character spells and they have a tremendous impact on your ability to hit dodgy enemies.

I don't get your weird thing but Panic has a tested hit rate so, yeah, it's pretty much a good solution to anything and your bad luck doesn't change that. The solution to most problems in the game is "debuff it."

My weird thing was struggling to get Panic to stick with any character. I did finally end up getting it to stick on a boss and/or FOE at the very last boss. Everything before that was debuffs and struggle though and any and all attempts at getting help in this thread was "just use more panic. so what if you've run two characters out of SP trying to get something to panic. use more. :smug:"

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Agility bind the golden hands and they're easy. If you can't do that, spam multi-target attacks and hope for the best.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Actually it turns out I'm a liar anyway because I just remembered I put a persona with Salome's Kiss on Naoto in an attempt to squeeze as much juice as possible out of Impure Reach before I realized that doesn't work.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Actually it turns out I'm a liar anyway because I just remembered I put a persona with Salome's Kiss on Naoto in an attempt to squeeze as much juice as possible out of Impure Reach before I realized that doesn't work.

If you're far enough along you can get a skill card for Binding Hands, which is supposed to help, though not quite as much as I expected it would.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Len posted:

My weird thing was struggling to get Panic to stick with any character. I did finally end up getting it to stick on a boss and/or FOE at the very last boss. Everything before that was debuffs and struggle though and any and all attempts at getting help in this thread was "just use more panic. so what if you've run two characters out of SP trying to get something to panic. use more. :smug:"

Because that is the solution. Like no offense but buffs and debuffs are the key to the game. Binds and Status Effects are incredibly powerful. If you're not able to stick either A bind/Salome's Kiss or Panic on a boss, there's nothing anyone can tell you that will make it easier.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Status effects and binds aren't perfect but they are far and away the best method of dealing with everything.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Binding Hands is Impure Reach for binding skills.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 8, 2015

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

ImpAtom posted:

Because that is the solution. Like no offense but buffs and debuffs are the key to the game. Binds and Status Effects are incredibly powerful. If you're not able to stick either A bind/Salome's Kiss or Panic on a boss, there's nothing anyone can tell you that will make it easier.

Or instead of taking your advice and wasting two characters worth of SP on attempting to panic bosses I could use debuffs and weather attacks which worked out infinitely better for me. Clearly I'm not as good at these games as the rest of you but the "get gud" attitude wasn't helping anything.

And yeah no panic wasn't the solution to the giant gently caress off spider I spent entirely too many turns on. It's immune to panic.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You mean the boss? I think you can still bind that, though you shouldn't need that many turns to kill it with Myriad Arrows spam. The spider FOEs can be hit by status effects for sure.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Manatee Cannon posted:

You mean the boss? I think you can still bind that, though you shouldn't need that many turns to kill it with Myriad Arrows spam. The spider FOEs can be hit by status effects for sure.

Yeah the giant almost final boss immune to panic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Len posted:

Or instead of taking your advice and wasting two characters worth of SP on attempting to panic bosses I could use debuffs and weather attacks which worked out infinitely better for me. Clearly I'm not as good at these games as the rest of you but the "get gud" attitude wasn't helping anything.

This isn't 'get gud.' Landing status effects and binds is literally just a RNG. There is no 'good' involved there, it isn't even like enemies have unique attributes that require you to plan around them. The reason people keep saying using panic is because panic is absurdly overpowered and literally the only thing prevent it from not working is sheer luck. You seem to take it as an insult but the reason people keep recommending it is because it works.

Other status effects and binds are similarly incredibly strong. People recommend panic because it trivializes everything while other debuffs merely trivialize some things. You're not a bad player, it's just that due to PQ's dumb design the optimal strategy is to stack enemy-locking status effects on everything and spam a single OP attack.

Len posted:

Yeah the giant almost final boss immune to panic.

You can bind that boss which is not really significantly different. You asked about the final boss which is vulnerable to panic.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 8, 2015

• Locked thread