Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

He wrote a great Spock while he could.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Cheap Trick posted:

I've been catching up with Avengers and New Avengers, and... why is Captain America old and cranky now? I assume it's a blowback effect he suffered from his trippin' with the Time Gem.
Good guess, but no, it happened in Rick Remender's run on Cap, and his super serum was somehow removed and he became old. It's really dumb and not worth looking further into, but like JHicks, just go with it.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Yeah, I know it's "comic book science" but it makes more sense to me that if he lost the serum he would just start ageing normally from this point and have his strength and speed reduced instead of instantly turning 85 years old. It being a side effect of the time gem would've actually been better.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Isn't Cap's-serum-doesn't-work a recurring plot point for him, anyway? Something similar happened in Brubaker's run, though I can't remember if it was literally sucked out or merely rendered inert. At any rate, Steve just returned to his pre-Serum physique and didn't actually age.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Red Skull should just stop doing stuff and wait Cap out, if he weren't messing with the X-Men right now he'd be able to just go out for Steve and punch his head off. Has Red Skull ever been out there ready one of the many times Steve's drugs fizz out?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Red Skull should just stop doing stuff and wait Cap out, if he weren't messing with the X-Men right now he'd be able to just go out for Steve and punch his head off. Has Red Skull ever been out there ready one of the many times Steve's drugs fizz out?

He caused it to happen during JM Dematteis' amazing run. It was pretty hype. Spoiler: Cap won anyway.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Hickman is pretty much ignoring old Cap anyway. In AXIS you had him frail and he needs a cane and armor. Hickman has him in the middle of the fight without any of that poo poo.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Codependent Poster posted:

Hickman is pretty much ignoring old Cap anyway. In AXIS you had him frail and he needs a cane and armor. Hickman has him in the middle of the fight without any of that poo poo.

Hickman's is also taking place in the future so it's possible that something happens that makes him a bit more able. It's also possible that Hickman just doesn't care about keeping with what others are doing.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Senor Candle posted:

Hickman's is also taking place in the future so it's possible that something happens that makes him a bit more able. It's also possible that Hickman just doesn't care about keeping with what others are doing.
Hickman is also trying to portray Cap as unsympathetic as possible, so depicting him barely able to stand and super feeble would only get in the way of that.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

redbackground posted:

Hickman is also trying to portray Cap as unsympathetic as possible, so depicting him barely able to stand and super feeble would only get in the way of that.

Cap at this point is literally an elderly right-wing conservatist unable to see reason, blinded by a single-minded focus that should have been set towards, oh, I don't know, saving the multiverse. It's perfect that he suddenly hyperaged.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Lurdiak posted:

He caused it to happen during JM Dematteis' amazing run. It was pretty hype. Spoiler: Cap won anyway.

That sounds cool as hell and I want to read it.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Dacap posted:

Yeah, I know it's "comic book science" but it makes more sense to me that if he lost the serum he would just start ageing normally from this point and have his strength and speed reduced instead of instantly turning 85 years old. It being a side effect of the time gem would've actually been better.

That's what happened when Mark Gruenwald had Cap lose the Super Soldier Serum due to Crack Cocaine use*.
After they removed the Serum he was still bulky and strong, but he could get tired and had to improvise a little more.

*= Granted this was called ICE, but it was totally supposed to be Crack.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

That sounds cool as hell and I want to read it.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13144397-captain-america

I recommend getting his entire run and reading the whole thing, though. There's a few fill in writers but everything from 272 onwards is pure undistilled Dematteis gold.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

hope and vaseline posted:

Cap at this point is literally an elderly right-wing conservatist unable to see reason, blinded by a single-minded focus that should have been set towards, oh, I don't know, saving the multiverse. It's perfect that he suddenly hyperaged.

Except that's 180 degrees from his established characterization in the Marvel Universe and his historical origin in 1930s New York. Dammit Hickman, I know you have to turn everyone not on Team Sunspot into assholes, but couldn't you try and be a bit more in line with his actual character? Hell, Sue still being on Reed's side is kind of tenuous, considering she broke up wtih him in Civil War after he contributed to Goliath's death, and yet she's perfectly friendly with him after he was party to the murder of a planet, along with Namor, who continues to participate in planet murder?

Ugh. Someone give me a yell when Secret Wars starts. Hopefully that will be better.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Yvonmukluk posted:

Except that's 180 degrees from his established characterization in the Marvel Universe and his historical origin in 1930s New York. Dammit Hickman, I know you have to turn everyone not on Team Sunspot into assholes, but couldn't you try and be a bit more in line with his actual character? Hell, Sue still being on Reed's side is kind of tenuous, considering she broke up wtih him in Civil War after he contributed to Goliath's death, and yet she's perfectly friendly with him after he was party to the murder of a planet, along with Namor, who continues to participate in planet murder?

Ugh. Someone give me a yell when Secret Wars starts. Hopefully that will be better.

Cap is pissed off his erasing his memory and also his actions in New Avengers. I could see him ignoring everything else and trying to get justice for that.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

The Question IRL posted:

That's what happened when Mark Gruenwald had Cap lose the Super Soldier Serum due to Crack Cocaine use*.
After they removed the Serum he was still bulky and strong, but he could get tired and had to improvise a little more.

*= Granted this was called ICE, but it was totally supposed to be Crack.

Meth, actually. http://www.druginfo.adf.org.au/drug-facts/ice

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Yvonmukluk posted:

Hell, Sue still being on Reed's side is kind of tenuous, considering she broke up wtih him in Civil War after he contributed to Goliath's death, and yet she's perfectly friendly with him after he was party to the murder of a planet, along with Namor, who continues to participate in planet murder?

Ah yes Civil War, the event lauded for having everyone act in character. Both Sue and Reed are perfectly in line with how he has been writing them for the past six years.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Senor Candle posted:

Hickman's is also taking place in the future so it's possible that something happens that makes him a bit more able.

I would hope so, otherwise I guess I just have to get on the right exercise program now if I'm gonna look this ripped in my 80s

However,

quote:

It's also possible that Hickman just doesn't care about keeping with what others are doing.

Here's your answer. I guarantee you that if Hickman wanted Wolverine to be in a scene way back when he plotted this thing, Sabretooth is gonna fly in and take his place. Or maybe they'll just strap some claws onto one of the Shang-Chis

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

TwoPair posted:

Here's your answer. I guarantee you that if Hickman wanted Wolverine to be in a scene way back when he plotted this thing, Sabretooth is gonna fly in and take his place. Or maybe they'll just strap some claws onto one of the Shang-Chis

I actually think it's kind of downplaying what Hickman's been able to do by saying "he doesn't give a poo poo about keeping up with other books." He has paid attention to the things that happen in other books, and adjusted his story to fit - and often done so better than the stories he's having to accommodate. Hickman wrote a vastly better SpOck than Dan Slott did, in my opinion, for instance. He's not just keeping up with what's happening in other books, he's using them to make his own story better while still not straying from his original gameplan, which is a really, really hard thing to pull off.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Hickman wrote a vastly better SpOck than Dan Slott did, in my opinion, for instance.

That's true of almost everyone who wrote Spock. It would have been a great time for Spider-man if it wasn't for the main book.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

That's true of almost everyone who wrote Spock. It would have been a great time for Spider-man if it wasn't for the main book.

Granted!

I still think, though, that there's a difference between Hickman's "I'm going to incorporate other books' events into my book without losing track of my original vision" and, for instance, Bendis' "Wolverine is still in my book even though he died two months ago I give zero fucks."

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I did really like that scene of Spock eating Sunspot's macaroni out of the fridge. That's a truly evil move.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

redbackground posted:

Is there a fully-filled-in version of the Avengers Machine out there? This is the most complete I found:

I feel kind of dumb asking this, but what the hell is the point of the Avengers Machine? I just thought it was a device for who was in an issue.

Also can someone explain what Secret Wars is supposed to be building too? I mean it's not just AvNA, right? I just feel like I missed out on something at some point during original sin.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

gfanikf posted:

I feel kind of dumb asking this, but what the hell is the point of the Avengers Machine? I just thought it was a device for who was in an issue.

Also can someone explain what Secret Wars is supposed to be building too? I mean it's not just AvNA, right? I just feel like I missed out on something at some point during original sin.

Avengers and New Avengers are building up to Secret Wars which will happen sometime this summer. Then that is going to last for a year so I'm not sure what you're asking exactly? Also I think the Avengers Machine was supposed to be significant but was dropped so it's basically just telling you who is in each issue.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

The Machine supposedly sends out calls to Avengers, and can be specified for certain ones, to assemble. Kind of like the Avnegers ID cards. But I'll be damned if we've ever actually seen it used. Referenced several times though.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

notthegoatseguy posted:

The Machine supposedly sends out calls to Avengers, and can be specified for certain ones, to assemble. Kind of like the Avnegers ID cards. But I'll be damned if we've ever actually seen it used. Referenced several times though.

What? I don't ever remember it being referenced as an actual device.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Senor Candle posted:

Avengers and New Avengers are building up to Secret Wars which will happen sometime this summer. Then that is going to last for a year so I'm not sure what you're asking exactly? Also I think the Avengers Machine was supposed to be significant but was dropped so it's basically just telling you who is in each issue.

I just wanted confirm that's what Secret Wars referred to, because I thought it might be something else connected to the previous Marvel Secret Wars from the 1980s, which was mostly done as a toy tie in, right? Also it seems like AvNA is already happening anyway.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
The Avengers Machine, I assume in part through the time travel part of Cap's journey, probably is both "Assemble specific Avengers to deal with specific threat" and I'm going to assume conceptually a sort of forever team that even beyond the lives of the current heroes, their archetypes or skill sets or whatever can be found in other heroes and brought into the fold. Like even in the future there were holographic Avengers based on the original. Some babble like that.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Lurdiak posted:

I did really like that scene of Spock eating Sunspot's macaroni out of the fridge. That's a truly evil move.

It was actually a specially prepared salad from Cannonball's dietician. Adds that extra little layer of rear end in a top hat that really makes that scene great.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

gfanikf posted:

I just wanted confirm that's what Secret Wars referred to, because I thought it might be something else connected to the previous Marvel Secret Wars from the 1980s, which was mostly done as a toy tie in, right? Also it seems like AvNA is already happening anyway.

There's been a lot of speculation even before the Secret Wars thing that the Beyonder was involved. Now it's just a bit more obvious.

Gatts posted:

The Avengers Machine, I assume in part through the time travel part of Cap's journey, probably is both "Assemble specific Avengers to deal with specific threat" and I'm going to assume conceptually a sort of forever team that even beyond the lives of the current heroes, their archetypes or skill sets or whatever can be found in other heroes and brought into the fold. Like even in the future there were holographic Avengers based on the original. Some babble like that.

This is probably also true, and the Shiar do something similar already.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Senor Candle posted:

What? I don't ever remember it being referenced as an actual device.

Banner refers to the team layout as the Avengers Machine when he's having the heart to heart with Tony.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

You guys are making me think I know how Hickman's run is going to end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dj6SF7C-FM&t=5642s

Just imagine a multiverse instead of an earth. And it's a big A.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

"It was an Avengers world. The first of many." Or however exactly that line goes was so good. I'm sure we'll get a "It was an Avengers universe..." at some point. X-Men fans will get irrationally mad about it.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Banner refers to the team layout as the Avengers Machine when he's having the heart to heart with Tony.

Banner also basically lays out what the machine is in that scene: it's a way to basically automate calling avengers together to deal with a threat, so that Stark and others could focus on the incursions.

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

gfanikf posted:

The Avengers Machine is what Tony came up with to protect the world while the Illuminati deal with the Incursions. The team was expanded and included more powerhouses so that they can deal with almost any threat. At least that's how Banner describes it during his conversation with Tony.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Does Avengers 40 come out today?

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Avengers #40 is out next week.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Starsnostars posted:

Avengers #40 is out next week.
Nuts.

d00gZ has pretty much abandoned the Shipping Thread For the Foreseeable Future, which was my primary What's Out, and I had a feeling that title was out of date.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 7, 2015

Elucidarius
Oct 14, 2006

redbackground posted:

Nuts.

d00gZ has pretty much abandoned the Shipping Thread For the Foreseeable Future, which was my primary What's Out, and I had a feeling that title was out of date.

Here you go this should help at least for this month. It's slightly off, but hey better than nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

redbackground posted:

Nuts.

Conveniently, there's still "Weekly Shipping Thread" to keep you up to date on a week to week basis!

• Locked thread