Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Mercury Crusader posted:

Sweet, I can whip out Chief of the Edge tapped and attacking like nobody's business, bumping her to a 4-power first striker.

This will trigger any creature I bring back into play's Raid ETB such as Mardu Skullhunter and War-Name Aspirant, wouldn't it?

Yes. She has to be declared attacking to activate her own ability so Raid triggers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Cernunnos posted:

Yes. She has to be declared attacking to activate her own ability so Raid trigger.

Sweet.

Also I misread the card. Power two, not casting cost two. Still pretty good, I can whip out Battle Brawler or Aspirant or Skullhunter I guess.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Mercury Crusader posted:

Sweet, I can whip out Chief of the Edge tapped and attacking like nobody's business, bumping her to a 4-power first striker. Oh wait, power two, not casting cost two.

This will trigger any creature I bring back into play's Raid ETB such as Mardu Skullhunter and War-Name Aspirant, wouldn't it?

Chief of the Edge is power 3. Chief of the Scale you can have.

E: missed your edit.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

... put onto the battlefield from your graveyard is attacking, even if the attack couldn't legally be declared (for example, if that creature has defender or an effect says that no more than one creature can attack).

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
If you're feeling frisky, you can use it to bring in Ponyback Brigade and have three 1/1s on top of that. Hmm...

I must experiment with this in the future, along with any other two-power dudes.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Mortimer posted:

Oh boy I can whip back my imperial recruiters now

Angry Grimace posted:

What happens if you use the ability on Alesha to whip-back a Sylvan Caryatid? Does it still attack despite its inability to attack?

Mercury Crusader posted:

Sweet, I can whip out Chief of the Edge tapped and attacking like nobody's business, bumping her to a 4-power first striker.

I see that's now the accepted shorthand.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Mercury Crusader posted:

Sweet.

Also I misread the card. Power two, not casting cost two. Still pretty good, I can whip out Battle Brawler or Aspirant or Skullhunter I guess.
Or Hornet Queen.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

muon posted:

Didn't see this posted:

(That's 3W on the activation cost)

This card is actually pretty insane to me.

If it's real it's the best Mobilization variant there's been in a long time.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Rinkles posted:

I see that's now the accepted shorthand.

They gave us a whip with a reanimation ability stapled to it. Of course that became the shorthand, it sounds cool.

odiv posted:

Or Hornet Queen.

:stonk:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

odiv posted:

Or Hornet Queen.

And here I was thinking somewhat practical with Ponyback Brigade. Guess I'm making a Mardu Whip deck.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005
Except whip exiles, so it's a bit weird to see people use it as a shorthand for reanimate.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Jund Reanimator?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Cernunnos posted:

They gave us a whip with a reanimation ability stapled to it. Of course that became the shorthand, it sounds cool.

Agree. I don't remember any other names sticking. Probably a question of syllable count.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Mercury Crusader posted:

And here I was thinking somewhat practical with Ponyback Brigade. Guess I'm making a Mardu Whip deck.

Hornet Queen would be dead in your hand. Are there any good discard outlets?Aside from Tormenting Voice I guess?

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Man, is everyone forgetting this she STILL dies to Courser? gently caress that thing's fat rear end.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Jonked posted:

Except whip exiles, so it's a bit weird to see people use it as a shorthand for reanimate.

"Whip" is shorter than "Reanimate." That's probably all there is to it.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

odiv posted:

Or Hornet Queen.

:stonklol:
That's a legit good card, I can see it getting play, possibly as a whip target herself. Put her in, bring Queen back, then when Queen dies, whip Queen. Or get another copy of her dead and repeat.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Cernunnos posted:

Hornet Queen would be dead in your hand. Are there any good discard outlets?Aside from Tormenting Voice I guess?

Actually, that was the only discard outlet I was thinking that would be practical.

Other two-power token generators that fit into Mardu colors would be Mardu Hordechief and of course Goblin Rabblemaster but I believe its token-making trigger gets passed once you bring it into play attacking.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Serperoth posted:

:stonklol:
That's a legit good card, I can see it getting play, possibly as a whip target herself. Put her in, bring Queen back, then when Queen dies, whip Queen. Or get another copy of her dead and repeat.

Its a neat play but the setup is too much and she has to attack to trigger the ability. Its way easier to just play a Whip and hit a Queen.

Mercury Crusader posted:

Actually, that was the only discard outlet I was thinking that would be practical.

Other two-power token generators that fit into Mardu colors would be Mardu Hordechief and of course Goblin Rabblemaster but I believe its token-making trigger gets passed once you bring it into play attacking.

Both the token and power-generating trigger are skipped if you bring them back using Alicia.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Angry Grimace posted:

Both the token and power-generating trigger are skipped if you bring them back using Alicia.

Yeah but her Valkyria power is still way better than Selvaria's.

Also Alesha is pretty hilarious with that Abzan legendary card.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 6, 2015

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Zoness posted:

Yeah but her Valkyria power is still way better than Selvaria's.

Was whatever plane Conspiracy was on supposed to be a French Revolution plane?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Angry Grimace posted:

Was whatever plane Conspiracy was on supposed to be a French Revolution plane?

Renaissance Italy, I believe. It was called Fiora and you had Muzzio-not-Leonardo and Marchesa-the-not-a-Medici.

Selvala of course is not Marco Polo. Brago is obviously not the Papacy.

There are no holes in this increasingly absurd mapping of random legendary creatures to historical figures.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 6, 2015

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Zoness posted:

Renaissance Italy, I believe. It was called Fiora and you had Muzzio-not-Leonardo and Marchesa-the-not-a-Medici.

Selvala of course is not Marco Polo.

I figured it was some kind of French thing based on the hat. But yeah, Fiora doesn't sound like Florence at all.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Cernunnos posted:

Lili of the Veil in M16, obviously.

Zoness posted:

There are no holes in this increasingly absurd mapping of random legendary creatures to historical figures.

Where does Grenzo fit in here?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Zoness posted:

Brago? Why not Augustin IV? Totally a floating pope already.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

theironjef posted:

Brago? Why not Augustin IV? Totally a floating pope already.

Because he's only talking about cards in the Conspiracy set, not Ravnica block.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

Its a neat play but the setup is too much and she has to attack to trigger the ability. Its way easier to just play a Whip and hit a Queen.

I feel that the versatility can be worth it. Also, once you whip back a Queen, she's gone. With Alesha, you bring her back, she can bring stuff back 'permanently', and if she lives, she can do it again, which is what I really like.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
I really hope she gets put into the online Cube so I can grab my Karmic Guide to grab my Sun Titan.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

If you're needing a totally-not-Pope Alexander VI for your totally-not-Renaissance Italy plane, I nominate the guy in Orzhov Pontiff.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Balon posted:

Man, is everyone forgetting this she STILL dies to Courser? gently caress that thing's fat rear end.

Obviously the solution is to play Chief of the Edge so you can swing at a Courser with 4/2 Alesha and a 4/2 Battle Brawler that you just brought into play.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Expensive dudes in Standard with 2 power or less:
Archetype of Finality
Bear's Companion
Clever Impersonator
Dawnbringer Charioteers
Disciple of Phenax
Eidolon of Blossoms
Evangel of Heliod
Forlorn Pseudamma
Graverobber Spider
Gray Merchant of Asphodel
Griffin Dreamfinder
Heroes' Bane
Hornet Queen
Insatiable Harpy
Karametra's Acolyte
King Macar, the Gold Cursed
Kragma Warcaller
Living Totem
Mardu Heartpiercer
Master of Waves
Minotaur Skullcleaver (hmmmmm...)
Ponyback Brigade
Prophet of Kruphix
Returned Centaur
Sage-Eye Harrier
Sagu Archer
Scaldkin
Scion of Glaciers
Shaman of Spring
Strike Harpy (hmmmmm...)
Sidisi's Pet
Siren of the Fanged Coast
Skyspear Calvary
Sphinx's Disciple
Staunch-Hearted Warrior
Storm-Chaser Chimera
Supply Line Cranes
Swarm of Bloodflies
Thassa's Devourer
Undergrowth Scavenger
Zof Shade
All the colored Paragons from M15

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Too bad there's no huge Swarm of Bloodflies with 6 +1/+1 counters or something.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Looks like Sultai is the only three-color combination without a Tiny Leader now.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

muon posted:

Didn't see this posted:

(That's 3W on the activation cost)
I can't tell if this is any good or not. I'm leaning towards "usually not". It's a nigh unlimited source of bears, so if your game is going long this gives you a hell of a lot of inevitability. On the other hand it's 6 mana to get your first 2/2 and ten mana to get two 2/2s. It costs enough mana that you aren't doing much else with your turns unless it's way late in the game. I can see there being a lot of games where it's an all star and a lot of games where it just doesn't keep up with an aggressive start because it costs too much mana, and you get run over by real creatures.

odiv posted:

Hooded Hydra? Almost...

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

odiv posted:

It would have been pretty funny tech to get Kalonian Hydras onto the battlefield.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Mercury Crusader posted:

Obviously the solution is to play Chief of the Edge so you can swing at a Courser with 4/2 Alesha and a 4/2 Battle Brawler that you just brought into play.

After which your opponent drops a Rhino and essentially blanks all your future combat attempts!

e: If I reanimate a Kalonian Hydra with Alycia does its ability trigger?

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
Don't forget, she can whip up creatures that enter the battlefield with +1/+1 counters, creatures that have characteristic defining abilities that don't work on the battlefield, and clones. If you have anthems, those don't count for determining power, either.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Balon posted:

After which your opponent drops a Rhino and essentially blanks all your future combat attempts!

To be fair dropping a Rhino stops every deck besides another Rhino Deck.

Alternately, Crackling Doom I guess. It's my favorite removal spell but nobody plays Mardu.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jan 6, 2015

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Entropic posted:

I can't tell if this is any good or not. I'm leaning towards "usually not". It's a nigh unlimited source of bears, so if your game is going long this gives you a hell of a lot of inevitability. On the other hand it's 6 mana to get your first 2/2 and ten mana to get two 2/2s. It costs enough mana that you aren't doing much else with your turns unless it's way late in the game. I can see there being a lot of games where it's an all star and a lot of games where it just doesn't keep up with an aggressive start because it costs too much mana, and you get run over by real creatures.

Hooded Hydra? Almost...

Are you missing the part where manifests can also flip up as real creatures? That's nonzero value on top of all of this. This is super mobilization and it basically owns.

I think it's theoretically an interesting control finisher, if not in constructed then definitely in cube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Balon posted:

e: If I reanimate a Kalonian Hydra with Alycia does its ability trigger?

Fetch Archetype of Finality. And then Archetype of Courage. :getin:

Also, it doesn't. "When this creature attacks" triggers don't go off when it's brought in attacking. Which also means you don't have to pay extra for Propaganda.

• Locked thread