Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:
They teach about blood buffering systems in gradeschool now. Even 5th graders would think that's ridiculous. If you are actually able to change the pH of your blood to positive effect by eating basic foods, you probably have a disease.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

Meatwave posted:

They teach about blood buffering systems in gradeschool now. Even 5th graders would think that's ridiculous. If you are actually able to change the pH of your blood to positive effect by eating basic foods, you probably have a disease.

I don't know if you're just overestimating what kids actually learn in school, or if your only exposure to kids in school are those in super advanced private schools, but I can assure you that the majority of children do not learn poo poo about this in gradeschool. The majority of people don't learn poo poo about this in college. The only reason 5th graders might think this is crazy is because they haven't learned about the PH system at all (but likely they have and it's unlikely they'd find it all too outlandish).

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Pyroclastic posted:

According to the FAQ, they're a blend of 'all natural minerals' and the main ingredients are magnesium, tourmaline, zinc, and silica. Heated to 800c and formed into pellets.

Their graph is amusing. Apples have a pH of 3.3-3.9; almost as acidic as coke! Oranges are 3-4.
All of the vegetables and fruits they list are all moderately to mildly acidic, around 4-6. None are alkaline.
Tea and eggs are mildly alkaline.

Googling around, it looks like this is mostly one of those psuedoscience prevent/cure-cancer-with-nutrition idiocies, where the foods you eat somehow changes your body pH, and if it's too acidic (because you're not eating paleo, apparently), you get cancer and everything else that can possibly go wrong.

Since alkaline is clearly better, you might as well just drink ammonia. With a pH of 11.6, it'll definitely alkalize your body tissues!

I guess it's just one of those "alkaline is good, acidic is bad" dichotomies so all the good stuff was shoved to one side and all the bad stuff was shoved to the other regardless of what the pH of it actually is.

You could use hydrazine instead of ammonia. You could call the product "Rocket Fuel"

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I learned about pH in my middle school health class, and trust me, it wasn't "SUPER ADVANCED" - think public school in the worst part of the ghetto where students getting stabbed wasn't all that uncommon.

Education is constantly accelerating tbh.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

T-man posted:

Education is constantly accelerating tbh.

Not really, for the most part. I have 2 younger siblings in elementary school and the poo poo they bring home is the same poo poo I was bringing home 15 years ago except some of it is taught differently. I can tell you for drat sure they aren't learning anything more advanced about the PH system than lemons are acidic, lye is basic, stick this piece of paper in some poo poo and see what color it turns. Same poo poo I did when I was their age.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

stringball posted:

Can someone :spergin: and tell us why he's wrong or right or retarded
One part of it is that he's decided on his conclusion and wants money to develop and experiment to prove himself right, and also that as long as the Scientific Mainstream doesn't decide to accept his conclusion on its face then Science is lies.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Pyroclastic posted:

Googling around, it looks like this is mostly one of those psuedoscience prevent/cure-cancer-with-nutrition idiocies, where the foods you eat somehow changes your body pH, and if it's too acidic (because you're not eating paleo, apparently), you get cancer and everything else that can possibly go wrong.

Not that the whole thing isn't batshit idiocy but in case of cancer you can actually adapt your food intake to a certain extent to slow the process, together with a regular treatment.
I don't remember if it's a thing for all kinds of cancers.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

unpacked robinhood posted:

Not that the whole thing isn't batshit idiocy but in case of cancer you can actually adapt your food intake to a certain extent to slow the process, together with a regular treatment.
I don't remember if it's a thing for all kinds of cancers.

Ketogenic diets have nothing to do with pH though. And there are idiots who think a ketogenic diet is enough, don't get regular treatment and then die. People are idiots.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Pyroclastic posted:

Their graph is amusing. Apples have a pH of 3.3-3.9; almost as acidic as coke! Oranges are 3-4.
All of the vegetables and fruits they list are all moderately to mildly acidic, around 4-6. None are alkaline.
Tea and eggs are mildly alkaline.

Wow, that graph is such a blatant lie. Like, even a grade school student would know that oranges, which contain a considerable amount of citric acid, should not be on the alkaline side.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Almost all biological chemistry in the human body is about the interaction of weak acids. Hell even DNA is deoxyribonucleic acid. I have no idea how these people decided acids are the enemy, but it's hilarious.

Someone should make a parody and see if anyone out there bites:

Did you know that every cell in your body contains acid?

Did you know that some of these acids can affect the way your cells function and even stop new cell growth?

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
I'm going to sell a health drink made of radium. I'll say it promotes cell growth.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

I'm going to sell a health drink made of radium. I'll say it promotes cell growth.

It certainly knocks out the acids in your body… so you'll capture two markets in one go!

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Dinosaur Satan posted:

DYLN — The Bottle That Creates Alkaline Water On the Go

AKA Back this if you never took high school chemistry. Of course it comes from California. Did you know oranges are alkaline? Yeah, I know this alkaline/acidic diet poo poo has been around for a while.

Ah yes, Oranges, world renown for the being the most Alkaline of fruits.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Oh wait, it's not about what is alkaline and what is acid — it's about what is acid and alkaline forming.

That makes it aaaaaaaall better. I'm sure there are tons of free-floating carbonates and hydroxides in oranges, and I mean, the peels are pretty bitter if you chew them so that must mean they're alkaline, right? :v:

Also, if there are that many H⁺ ions in wheat that they readily form acids, I suppose we have already found the bio-fuel equivalent to hydrogen fuel cells. Double-win!

Tippis has a new favorite as of 15:29 on Jan 4, 2015

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Didn't kickstarter ban products that 'claim to cure a disease' or similar? I guess dubious vague health claims still slip under the radar.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

DoctorTristan posted:

Didn't kickstarter ban products that 'claim to cure a disease' or similar? I guess dubious vague health claims still slip under the radar.

Kickstarter's prohibited list includes:

quote:

Any item claiming to cure, treat, or prevent an illness or condition (whether via a device, app, book, nutritional supplement, or other means).

And the DYLN Living Water Bottle Kickstarter makes these claims:

quote:

In general, alkalinity promotes and maintains optimal health in the body, while acidity has a negative impact. While some acidity is natural and necessary, many people suffer from leaning too acidic, which is a far too common result of our modern diet from acidic foods and beverages. When we lean acidic, our bodies compensate through natural buffers, which kick in to maintain the necessary alkalinity in the body. Overtime this compensation can lead to unintended consequences, such as weaker bones and muscles or even disease. Alkaline water offers a convenient and safe way to bing our bodies back into balance and achieve optimal hydration.

Seems pretty clear to me that they're claiming that their product helps prevent illnesses and medical conditions.

msyronfire
Oct 9, 2012
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1216683334/dog-powered-scooter?ref=category

A dog powered scooter, which looks like the kind of transportation I'd be stuck with in a Mad Max-type universe and

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1890583073/fart-flinger-gun?ref=nav_search

A fart-flinging gun. To quote, "The Fart Flinger Gun represents a breakthrough in gas capture. Kids and adults, both young and old, can now capture a fart and blast an unsuspecting victim with their odorous gas. The Fart Flinger's unique patented cupped design allows the users to capture the full aroma of their flatulence with an easy squeeze-n-capture feature. Just capture the Fart and blast it to any unsuspecting target. When squeezed, the blast is accompanied by a realistic fart noise affect. It is hand operated and requires no batteries."

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

So it'll cost 40k/year, do nothing of use, and leave random bits of damaged DNA all around your body that two doctors have to go in and chip away at piece by piece?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

msyronfire posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1890583073/fart-flinger-gun?ref=nav_search

A fart-flinging gun. To quote, "The Fart Flinger Gun represents a breakthrough in gas capture. Kids and adults, both young and old, can now capture a fart and blast an unsuspecting victim with their odorous gas. The Fart Flinger's unique patented cupped design allows the users to capture the full aroma of their flatulence with an easy squeeze-n-capture feature. Just capture the Fart and blast it to any unsuspecting target. When squeezed, the blast is accompanied by a realistic fart noise affect. It is hand operated and requires no batteries."

Lol if you haven't mastered the art of "cup n throw" when it comes to weaponizing your flatulence. Still, backed.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Seems pretty clear to me that they're claiming that their product helps prevent illnesses and medical conditions.

Its just like this place in my local shopping centre. They sell magnetic wristbands that cure everything. Signage all over the booth states that it cures everything. If you look closely there is a small disclaimer at the bottom of one of the signs which says "We don't actually claim this cures anything. However heaps of people say it does!".

I'm not a lawyer so I'm not sure, but according to the guy there the disclaimer makes it all nice and legal.

Edit: This is the scam: http://www.bioflow.com.au/

yoloer420 has a new favorite as of 08:22 on Jan 5, 2015

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

KronicD posted:

Its just like this place in my local shopping centre. They sell magnetic wristbands that cure everything. Signage all over the booth states that it cures everything. If you look closely there is a small disclaimer at the bottom of one of the signs which says "We don't actually claim this cures anything. However heaps of people say it does!".

I'm not a lawyer so I'm not sure, but according to the guy there the disclaimer makes it all nice and legal.

Edit: This is the scam: http://www.bioflow.com.au/

Holy poo poo, they really go the distance on these. They have magical magnets you can strap to your water pipe to reduce mineral content or even on your gas mains for "efficiency". It is a deal though, especially when they include the ties for "fitting". That's got to be worth at *least* $20-$30 just for the special zip-ties.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

flosofl posted:

Holy poo poo, they really go the distance on these. They have magical magnets you can strap to your water pipe to reduce mineral content or even on your gas mains for "efficiency". It is a deal though, especially when they include the ties for "fitting". That's got to be worth at *least* $20-$30 just for the special zip-ties.

This poo poo has been around for at least 50 years

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Mo0 posted:

So it'll cost 40k/year, do nothing of use, and leave random bits of damaged DNA all around your body that two doctors have to go in and chip away at piece by piece?

Ugh FINE. I'll make it have a uniquely shaped bottle and have a custom cup holder for it you can snap onto your iPad.

Cirrial
Oct 24, 2012
-

Cirrial has a new favorite as of 20:30 on Jan 5, 2015

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/884592321/glorious-leader

Uh pretty sure the USS bush is CVN-77, not 43. Nice research, assholes.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Better rush for those hot, hot The Interview dollars.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Wasn't there like a flash game where you play as KJU?

Englishman alone
Nov 28, 2013

Otisburg posted:

I think it's reference to him being 43 pres rather than the carrier which carries his name

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Englishman alone posted:

I think it's reference to him being 43 pres rather than the carrier which carries his name

The carrier is named for HW, p sure W doesn't have one.

If they can't get basic facts straight then how am I supposed to enjoy side-scrolling juche unicorns?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

On the one hand a game where you play as Kim Jong Un blowing up the US military sounds really fun, on the other rushing out a videogame to capitalise on a bit of controversy in the news is ridiculously shady even for a kickstarter. That is a beautiful screencap though.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009
e: nvm

Cirrial
Oct 24, 2012
Did Ron Paul Revolution teach us nothing?!

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Otisburg posted:

The carrier is named for HW, p sure W doesn't have one.

If they can't get basic facts straight then how am I supposed to enjoy side-scrolling juche unicorns?

Yeah but it's #43 and it has the MISSION ACCOMPLISHED banner.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Peanut President posted:

Yeah but it's #43 and it has the MISSION ACCOMPLISHED banner.

Right! That poo poo totally breaks my immersion when I'm playing as N.K's despotic ruler riding the waves on my narwhal, shooting fireballs.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Otisburg posted:

The Mission Accomplished thing took place on the Lincoln anyway, CVN-72.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Man, look at all those stolen SNES and Neo-Geo sprites and constantly changing pixel resolution.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Cirrial posted:

Did Ron Paul Revolution teach us nothing?!

Considering the dude didn't even finish the tutorial himself, no. Nobody learned a god drat thing from that whole charade.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Wamdoodle posted:

Lol if you haven't mastered the art of "cup n throw" when it comes to weaponizing your flatulence. Still, backed.

I tried to master it, but Randy was explaining it really poorly, and I was on PC, so the controls were different than what it said, so I just rage-quit.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Elliotw2 posted:

Man, look at all those stolen SNES and Neo-Geo sprites and constantly changing pixel resolution.

Indiegamedev.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cirrial
Oct 24, 2012

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Considering the dude didn't even finish the tutorial himself, no. Nobody learned a god drat thing from that whole charade.

I'm sure plenty of backers learned to never back oh who the gently caress am I kidding no one ever learns anything from Kickstarter failures. Honestly, is Indiegogo that much more scam filled than Kickstarter these days? Everything sort of just feels like it blurs together.