Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Dezinus posted:

Personally I find the Robot hate speech on Idle Thumbs despicable. When the next epoch begins, you guys will regret the podcasts badmouthing the cheetah robot.
Don't worry, when President Petman takes office in 2048 and outlaws robophobia, they'll answer for their crimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

ja2ke posted:

I think that's an easier conversation to have when it's Looney Tunes, which are a defining piece of American media in the 20th century... which happens to also be racist as gently caress in some of its early episodes. There are actually, say, universities and archivists and folks like that who would consider it a prestigious honor to preserve old Looney Tunes in a publicly accessible, academic context (as opposed to the current WB approach, to put a disclaimer on the content and then profit off it). When it's Idle Thumbs, I'm not really sure what to do about it. I know that Video Games Hot Dog just took old episodes off the feed after a while... I think? Maybe that is what we eventually do -- de-list episodes from the standard RSS feed but leave them up on the website in the archive for people who are really curious. That idea could also be terrible. I don't really know. We talked about this when we came back from the Kickstarter in 2012 (!!! ages ago now!) but decided to let it be for the time being. Maybe 2015 is the year that changes!

For realsies, your 200th episode should be a reminiscent on how much the gaming industry, game technology and more importantly you guys have changed since your started the podcast.

Naw, it should be a 2 hour stravaganza of yoshi, toad and fart noises

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Ulta posted:

The first Season generally involves looking at how weird Hank Hill is, how weird a small town is. The "villains" are largly internal, with Hank struggling with family conflicts, his own self worth, etc. It's actually a decent show, and theirs some hints of the old Beavis and Butthead Mike Judd in there.

There's a subtle shift followed by a quick landslide (speculated to be the fact that 911 broke Mike Judd). Hank stops becoming the butt of the joke and turns into the audience surrogate. It's no longer "How weird is Hank" it's "How right is Hank, and how weird is everyone else." In later episodes the conflict will come from outsiders, usually people who are from out of town, whom are thwarted by the common sense down to earth logic of Hank Hill. On top of the shitheap is "The Goode Family" a spinoff about a "liberal" family. It's complete garbage.

On top of that, I grew up in a small town and react violently to anything that praises the virtues of small town living. Small towns are pieces of poo poo that grind up people.

I think your timetable might be off--KotH debuted in January 1997, and the earliest 9/11 would have affected the writing would probably be late in season 6. I'll agree that Mike Judge's grumpy libertarian ways often clashed with the rest of the writers' liberal Harvard sensibilities, which is why some of the much later episodes could be a little grating with how often Hank was the sensible voice of reason. The first six seasons are pretty flawless in my eyes, though. (And yeah, The Goode Family shows how bad Judge's social commentary can be without others on board to temper it. Even the beloved Idiocracy comes off as pretty classist to me, what with its tacit endorsement of eugenics for dumb, poor people.)

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

ElMaligno posted:

For realsies, your 200th episode should be a reminiscent on how much the gaming industry, game technology and more importantly you guys have changed since your started the podcast.

Naw, it should be a 2 hour stravaganza of yoshi, toad and fart noises

200th episode should be audio commentary of them listening to the first episode(s).

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
You're probably right. I haven't watched KotH in several years so some aspects are hyberbolic in my mind. It's no Drawn Together (which is strait up racist, homophobic, sexist, and several other -ists) which I wonder how it ever got in the air.

Idocracy is a funny movie if you don't think about at all. Show it to your racist grandpa during the holidays so he'll shut up.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
The 200th episode of idle thumbs has already passed. You mean episode 200, the 225th episode of idle thumbs. At least, that's what it is going by the number of entries in the rss feed. There's probably more that aren't on the feed.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Wasn't the 200th one the one that got ate by Audacity or something? Or was that a different number/podcast? Could have sworn it was the Thumbs.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Warbird posted:

Wasn't the 200th one the one that got ate by Audacity or something? Or was that a different number/podcast? Could have sworn it was the Thumbs.

It was 150.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Yeah that was a shame. The amount of time and effort lost in something like that must be staggering. I've lost a several hours' work in code due to unexpected shutdowns before, drat near put me off coding for a week or two after that.

Horrible Butts
May 7, 2012
Video Game Newspaper #2 of all time comin at ya. Thanks so much for the kind words on the first one, it means a lot.
https://soundcloud.com/yesssss-2/vgnewspaper2
I don't know if this is spamming or what so lemme know if I should stop waving my poddick around.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.
Video Games just posted your pod on Twitter so I'd say you're doin' just fine, friend.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Horrible Butts posted:

Video Game Newspaper #2 of all time comin at ya. Thanks so much for the kind words on the first one, it means a lot.
https://soundcloud.com/yesssss-2/vgnewspaper2
Video games may or may not be art, but Video Game Newspaper sure as gently caress is.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

The video game Mr. Rodger's Neighborhood.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Dr. Stab posted:

The 200th episode of idle thumbs has already passed. You mean episode 200, the 225th episode of idle thumbs. At least, that's what it is going by the number of entries in the rss feed. There's probably more that aren't on the feed.

Podblasts and conf grenades don't count :colbert:

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
For those of you who are fans of Gary and Kole, they appeared separately on my non-video game, general nerd topic podcast Dork Night. The latest episode features Gary, and the two previous two feature Kole. A word of warning, there is minimal video game talk and those of you who hate it when your video game podcast's tangent, its basically that, the podcast.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Listening to the Morrowind extrasode now (thanks for reading my post :3:) and I remembered something I forgot to mention during part 1- Vivec isn't voiced in the main game, I think Dagoth Ur's taunts, the Daedra, and the chargen NPCs are the only ones with voiced dialogue in the base game.

Also the Passive Healthy Wildlife mod isn't mine, but I'm sure every mod site has it as it's a popular one from what I can remember.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

C-Euro posted:

Listening to the Morrowind extrasode now (thanks for reading my post :3:) and I remembered something I forgot to mention during part 1- Vivec isn't voiced in the main game, I think Dagoth Ur's taunts, the Daedra, and the chargen NPCs are the only ones with voiced dialogue in the base game.

My mistake. I think got confused because there is unused dialog for him in the games files that wasn't interesting enough to bring up during the show but I still listened to, so I had a male voice in mind. Thank you for the correction.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Woffle posted:

My mistake. I think got confused because there is unused dialog for him in the games files that wasn't interesting enough to bring up during the show but I still listened to, so I had a male voice in mind. Thank you for the correction.

I only remembered because I had the same (or a similar) mod in my last playthrough (a few years ago, how do I remember that?)

Also in line with your Tim Allen mod shoutout, another total replacement mod video, though admittedly the funny part about this one is the music (at about 1:40)

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

So I've talked some poo poo about him, but in about four hours Alex Navarro is going to be playing Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing for AGDQ and I am sure as gently caress watching that.

e: Should be at about 10:10am UTC.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
The Rock Band episode of WOFF! is live. I really like this one.

http://duckfeed.tv/woff/91

Up next is Brave Fencer Musashi, followed by Jet Set Radio. After that, in February, we will talk about Star Control II with Zack from Video Games Hot Dog.

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
Aww hell yeah. SCII is timeless, aside from a couple strange racial stereotypes. And it's free! I can't wait to play through it again. Do not forget to enjoy the sauce.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

TetsuoTW posted:

e: Should be at about 10:10am UTC.

Was around 4AM this morning (Central).

Warbird fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jan 8, 2015

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Whenever Rock Band / Guitar Hero is discussed around these parts I always feel the need to show off my old GH controller. I took apart and painted several GH controllers, but this one a good friend painted for me as it was way above my skill level with an airbrush. I wanted a heavy metal theme and I think he came through with flying colors. Ah yes, the release of the original GH was a glorious time. While I had been a guitarist for several years previous, GH helped rekindle my love of the instrument and contributed to me finally getting good enough at it to play in a band. I've been playing out in various groups ever since and have been fortunate to have made many friends and had some amazing times at gigs. Thanks, Guitar Hero :911:

Rock Band was also killer when it released. It was crazy that some bars were doing rock band nights instead of karaoke. As I was finishing college in '09 I worked for a Best Buy. This was right around the time the plastic instrument market was about to collapse. I couldn't believe all the inventory committed to those music games. It was really obvious the gimmick had quickly worn out its welcome. What a glorious time it was though when it was fresh!

EDIT - I also have to say I loved the variety of music that those games got me into. I never appreciated Pantera before having to learn how to shred Cowboys From Hell. Heck, I had never even heard of the Outlaws before. Green Grass and High Tides was a badass song and now I love that kind of old school southern rock. YYZ helped me get into the wacky world of Rush. My band always plays Can't You Hear Me Knockin' and I had never even heard it before GH2. I have a lot of those type of stories. Harmonix / Red Octane did such a great job with those soundtracks.

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 8, 2015

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
I didn't mention it on the episode, but I worked at GameStop during the entire plastic instruments craze. The lengths we had to go to stock those were nuts. When RB1 came out I was the only guy at the store, so I was responsible for moving all of the full band kits around. Often as many as 25 at a go. We had to arrange them in the back room so that we still had a route to the fire exit.

It was a good place to be for the collapse. I got several replacement instruments and doodads for dirt cheap before we had to destroy them all.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Reminds me of a guy in the town I grew up in, who drove an 80s-era black Chevy Van with an airbrushed scene on the side (next to the bubble windows!) of a chainmail-bikini-clad barbarian woman riding a dogsled across an icescape, while being pulled by polar bears and pointing her sword at the sky. My parents told me to never, ever go near him alone. :laugh:

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Brad was my least favorite of the original crew before he discovered DOTA

I can probably agree with that. The fact that he fawns over two games I couldn't care less about doesn't really help him in my eyes. Then again, I think the only reason he hosts the podcast now is because it's the only way Jeff could keep him awake/off his phone/talking for the podcast, and they needed the extra voice after Ryan.

That being said, I don't dislike Brad at all, his personality is just more subdued than the other guys and he obsesses over bad games.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Braid is a cool guy but the constant lambasting of Dota is getting old, I used to love the game myself but I got fed up of it eating up all my free time which I could be using on other games so god knows how that works for someone who needs to be playing them for his job. Also the Destiny filibustering on the Game of the Year podcasts was downright embarrassing.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Dota is the only game that matters.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
To babies.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Song For The Deaf posted:

February, we will talk about Star Control II
Aw

Yeah

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Song For The Deaf posted:

After that, in February, we will talk about Star Control II with Zack from Video Games Hot Dog.
Time to write up an immense email to you dudes I guess. Even today I'll read some semi obscure vintage scifi and find it was something the game paid homage to.

Demand extensive section on frungy. Sport of kings.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Ramagamma posted:

Also the Destiny filibustering on the Game of the Year podcasts was downright embarrassing.

As much as some people give Alex poo poo for some reason at least he was willing to say that it makes no sense to put Destiny on a GOTY list after naming it one of the most disappointing games. It was probabaly the most salient point made over the entire 5 days of podcasts that was subsequently ignored by Jeff and Brad so Destiny #10 GOTY Giantbomb 2014!

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Latest Crate & Crowbar was pretty great, their thoughts on Elite: Dangerous seem particularly spot on.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

As much as some people give Alex poo poo for some reason at least he was willing to say that it makes no sense to put Destiny on a GOTY list after naming it one of the most disappointing games. It was probabaly the most salient point made over the entire 5 days of podcasts that was subsequently ignored by Jeff and Brad so Destiny #10 GOTY Giantbomb 2014!

I'm hoping the new hire will be someone into PC games and has more of a thumb on the releases. Even I don't pay much attention to it and missed a few great titles that came out last year (thank you Steam sale). Had they been told or even seen those games in action I bet they wouldn't have had to resort to putting Destiny on the list. Hell, if Jeff got back into Warframe earlier it would have probably ended up on the list. That just shows how flawed their GOTY format is. Jeff turned against Shovel Knight really hard but if you watch the Quick Look he sounded extremely enthusiastic and enjoying himself. Luckily that made it on the list, but looking back at games you haven't played in a while just isn't the same as having a fresh experience with them.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

It made sense if you consider that the scope for Destiny is what lead to it's disappointment, it's still capable of being a perfectly good game AND disappointing if the expectations were way too high. Still though, Brad's a dick for championing it so hard. I get he had a lot of fun with it this year but it was literally only him that was fighting for it.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Is that the game where you rewind time?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
No amount of pc people would convince brad to not put destiny in the list, he was full on stockholm syndrome with the game.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

The new Braid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Nightbraid

So this year is the first time I've skipped all the Giant Bomb GOTY coverage. It's one of those things where I knew I wouldn't enjoy it, but some compulsion always forced me into it in the past. It felt good to not listen to hours of bickering this time.

It's like how I always say I don't want to watch press conferences; I'd rather let other people watch and summarize the salient points for later digestion at my leisure, but then I get sucked in anyway. No more!

• Locked thread