Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Chomp8645 posted:

If you want a good two player option and like strategy games at all I would recommend trying Warhammer Diskwars. Good little strategy game this is a reasonable middle ground because too-light fluff and super heavy grog. Offers nice customization options, sets up and tears down about as easily as a wargame possibly can, and plays in about an hour and a half. Also unlike something like X-Wing (which I do like) the cost of entry is low. You can probably get the core set for $40, which unlike almost every other core set in the universe is actually enough to have a fun game with. If you enjoy the game then there are two expansions that very are reasonably priced ($30 list I believe) that add a lot of great stuff including two completely new races.

It's a great way to break into 1v1 games if you have anything you think would want that kind of experience. Affordable, good theme, good customization, semi-light wargame.

Also, obligatory Kemet recommendation. It's a thread darling for good reason and you don't have it so you should buy it.

Although I have no issues with either of these games and can similarly recommend them, there are a few asterisks attached. Diskwars requires a surprisingly large table for it. The game space itself is supposed to be 3x3 feet, plus you'll want some extra space on the sides for various tokens and whatnot. This is what prevents Diskwars from hitting the table that often. That and I have no idea how to actually store it with the expansions, but that is just my OCD thing.

Kemet is a fantastic game, but I imagine that it loses a lot in 2-3 players since a big part of the game is denying people powers. At lower player counts, players can get whatever they want, which can lead to some degenerate things. Again, great game, but I wouldn't play it with 2 and may hesitate at 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Captain Walker posted:

Might be getting Mage Knight soon; what the hell is it? I was sold on it as a kind of tactical-combat D&D-lite thing. Is that what it's about?

You see the comparisons to D&D due to the fact that you're effectively taking a character and running them through the entirety of a campaign in a given session. Don't mistake the D&D thing to mean that it's a dungeon crawler or anything. A more appropriate comparison, if you've played them of course, are maybe the Heroes of Might and Magic video games. Everyone is pressing deeper into the game board comprised of tiles that are being revealed as you explore, and those tiles are populated with various monsters and adventure locations and structures. Every action you take, from basic movement across the board to combat, is based around using your character's card deck/your hand, and a large part of the progression is adding various cards to that deck to represent leveling up and acquisition of new equipment and skills. You can also recruit a handful of units to follow you, and form a really small army. Usually the overarching objective entails something like laying siege to cities located at the fringe of the map or claiming a number of certain adventure sites like wizard towers and castles.

Basically you're a bunch of rear end in a top hat wizard-warriors stomping across the game world loving everything up in your wake while accumulating allies and more abilities.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Captain Walker posted:

poo poo, I just spent 8 hours on 3 rounds of Twilight Imperium and I'll never get to play it again.

Every time I see something like this about Twilight Imperium I experience a strong feeling of pain and sorrow because I love the game and this kind of thing doesn't have to happen. I'll bet dollars to donuts it's the host's fault for not preparing beforehand. TI3 may be complex but it's perfectly teachable and it's not difficult to finish the first game on time even if nobody has played before if the host does their homework and understands the rules and the setup before the other players arrive. If they don't then the session is doomed to stall and fail.

I remember someone either here or on BGG posting about how they showed up for their first game of TI3 with a bunch of other newbies and the host had done no preparation whatsoever beyond popping out the plastic and cardboard bits from the packaging. Like once everyone arrived he just whipped out the manual and said "ok, let's learn how to play!" and started reading. I can't imagine more of a nightmare than that.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Rutibex posted:

That's my point though, my nephues are in their mid teens. They can't make a joke, but they can enjoy laughing at dirty words on cards that offend their grandmother when she walks by. I'm not saying DIxit is a bad game, but it bombed over Christmas at the Rutibex house. Next year I will be bringing a new CaH set instead.

Try introducing them to Terry Pratchett. I was making marvelously obscure puns by the time I was out of elementary school, and kept laughing in English Lit class because I'd suddenly get a reference he made.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

GrandpaPants posted:

Although I have no issues with either of these games and can similarly recommend them, there are a few asterisks attached. Diskwars requires a surprisingly large table for it. The game space itself is supposed to be 3x3 feet, plus you'll want some extra space on the sides for various tokens and whatnot. This is what prevents Diskwars from hitting the table that often. That and I have no idea how to actually store it with the expansions, but that is just my OCD thing.

Kemet is a fantastic game, but I imagine that it loses a lot in 2-3 players since a big part of the game is denying people powers. At lower player counts, players can get whatever they want, which can lead to some degenerate things. Again, great game, but I wouldn't play it with 2 and may hesitate at 3.

These are good points that I agree with and should have mentioned in my post. Diskwars does require more table space than most games. I have a great storage solution for the game /w expansions though and I'll post it shortly.

As for Kemet, I agree that it should not be played with two players under any circumstances. The box says 2-5 but it's a liar just like Game of Thrones. It's a 3-5 player game. I've played it with three players more than once and I think it's perfectly serviceable at the number. A full house is still more enjoyable just for the mayhem and tile-grabbing tension, but a three player game works fine in my opinion.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
This goes back to an earlier discussion I missed out on, but I think Quantum should take Small World's place as the gateway wargame of choice. I can teach Quantum in ten minutes or less, it has a huge replay value with the modular board and variable upgrades, the combat is more interesting, and it's quick enough that the luck elements don't feel too aggravating.

I have a lot of nice things to say about Small World, even though I rarely feel the need to open the box now, but Quantum is just better in most ways.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Chomp8645 posted:

Every time I see something like this about Twilight Imperium I experience a strong feeling of pain and sorrow because I love the game and this kind of thing doesn't have to happen. I'll bet dollars to donuts it's the host's fault for not preparing beforehand. TI3 may be complex but it's perfectly teachable and it's not difficult to finish the first game on time even if nobody has played before if the host does their homework and understands the rules and the setup before the other players arrive. If they don't then the session is doomed to stall and fail.

I remember someone either here or on BGG posting about how they showed up for their first game of TI3 with a bunch of other newbies and the host had done no preparation whatsoever beyond popping out the plastic and cardboard bits from the packaging. Like once everyone arrived he just whipped out the manual and said "ok, let's learn how to play!" and started reading. I can't imagine more of a nightmare than that.

This happened exactly; coupled with people who also didn't know the rules, and people who never read rules in advance for any reason, which makes playing RPGs with them a loving living hell, it crashed and burned spectacularly. Too bad, I like the game idea but I need friends who are more nerdy. fuckin' casuals ruining the hobby argh blargh etc.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Captain Walker posted:

This happened exactly; coupled with people who also didn't know the rules, and people who never read rules in advance for any reason, which makes playing RPGs with them a loving living hell, it crashed and burned spectacularly.

You have my group :v:
To this day I'm the only one who's read the rules for FATE, and there were two in the group when we were playing D&D that only read the parts of the PHB that said what their spells did.

At least three out of the five of us are willing to read board game manuals, though. One refuses outright and then gets mad at the rest of us if we realize we were mis-playing something after a game or two.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Somberbrero posted:

This goes back to an earlier discussion I missed out on, but I think Quantum should take Small World's place as the gateway wargame of choice. I can teach Quantum in ten minutes or less, it has a huge replay value with the modular board and variable upgrades, the combat is more interesting, and it's quick enough that the luck elements don't feel too aggravating.

I have a lot of nice things to say about Small World, even though I rarely feel the need to open the box now, but Quantum is just better in most ways.

I have Quantum on a pending CSI order (LCGs apparently cost me $100/month now...), and I hear that it is good, but is it good for "veteran" gamers or would we have outgrown it?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

GrandpaPants posted:

That and I have no idea how to actually store it with the expansions, but that is just my OCD thing.

Chomp's Ultimate Diskwars Storage Solution

Main Box: All the general stuff. Tokens, terrain, deployment cards etc... Include neutral command cards here.

Hammer and Hold Box: All the Good Guy races go here in their own bags. You can combine the Lizards and Wood Elves since they're minor races and don't have many disks. Command cards specific to Order or Order races get a little baggie here.

Legions of Darkness Box: All the Bad Guy races go here in their own bags. You can combine Dark Elves and Skaven since they're minor races and don't have many disks. Command cards specific to Destruction or Destruction races get a little baggie here.

Players who know the game can easily grab what they want with this setup, they just grab the Good Guy or Bad Guy box. Everything they need is there and they can supplement their command cards with neutrals from the main box if necessary. It's also great for getting a new player going! Just ask newbie "do you want to be good guys or bad guys?", then "ok you want bad guys, do you like Orks, Undead, or Demon dudes". If he doesn't know then give him the Bad Guy box and let him look. If he says Orks or something then just give the Ork baggie and the Bad Guy cards. When on the go you can simply stack the three boxes on top of another. They cradle under one arm easily and should be easy to move as long as you aren't trekking a bunch of other games with you as well.

Captain Walker posted:

This happened exactly; coupled with people who also didn't know the rules, and people who never read rules in advance for any reason, which makes playing RPGs with them a loving living hell, it crashed and burned spectacularly. Too bad, I like the game idea but I need friends who are more nerdy. fuckin' casuals ruining the hobby argh blargh etc.

:( My heart...

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 6, 2015

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

I have Quantum on a pending CSI order (LCGs apparently cost me $100/month now...), and I hear that it is good, but is it good for "veteran" gamers or would we have outgrown it?

I play with a bunch of people who regularly play Agricola and Twilight Imperium, and Quantum is definitely an acceptable game in circulation. Not all the time by any means, but every other game night or so it gets busted out.

Also its a great intro game for newer gamers, even though they will likely get stomped, there is enough luck that even if they are being thoroughly trounced they still feel like they have a shot.

So yes, its a good midweight game that doesn't outstay its welcome.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

GrandpaPants posted:

Well, I guess you could call me a veteran gamer and I am very fond of it.

Kemet might be a technically superior game, but I can get Quantum to the table way more often. That comparison might not be especially apt because they're honestly very different games, but it's a handy point of reference. There is a fair amount of variance, but most of that is focused in the beginning stages of the game and is gradually diminished as you pick upgrades. Again though, I would be very surprised if a game lasted more than an hour so any rough raps don't feel especially egregious.

The sense of movement is one of my favorite aspects of Quantum, especially given the nature of the modular board it shows that the designers really understand what makes area control work.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

The first time I played TI3 the host took the time to prepare both a google doc rules overview 70-slide powerpoint and a flippin' youtube tutorial on the tactical action phase, and it was his first time playing it too. Still took us like 12 hours, especially because we had 8.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 6, 2015

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Somberbrero posted:

Well, I guess you could call me a veteran gamer and I am very fond of it.

Kemet might be a technically superior game, but I can get Quantum to the table way more often. That comparison might not be especially apt because they're honestly very different games, but it's a handy point of reference. There is a fair amount of variance, but most of that is focused in the beginning stages of the game and is gradually diminished as you pick upgrades. Again though, I would be very surprised if a game lasted more than an hour so any rough raps don't feel especially egregious.

The sense of movement is one of my favorite aspects of Quantum, especially given the nature of the modular board it shows that the designers really understand what makes area control work.

I can barely get Kemet on the table with my normal playgroup. I have to wait for our bigger boardgame parties to get a game of Kemet in. I think its because the card bluffing mechanic for combat turns them off since it doesn't pay off in easily evaluable percentages like dice combat, making it less mathy than my group tends to like. (I'm the only non math/science masters student in the group so that makes sense to me). So we play quantum to get an area control fix, and it seems to satisfy everyone. However, Kemet is my favorite game, it plunges you headfirst into battle, and you have to maintain that frenetic combat pace while somehow still upgrading your techs and tech levels. The pseudo-bluffing of the card combat is beautiful, and the 1-of techs make every aspect of this game fierce and competitive. I think my ideal boardgame day is 10 hours of nothing but Kemet.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Thanks for all the recommendations guys (and the K2 reviews) Temporum looks pretty great, had never heard of it -- and Viticulture/Concordia were two I had looked at a while ago but were worried about theme wise. Now that I think/know my group won't care as much I'll have to bring them back into the debate. Definitely want to get a heavier euro to the table sometime soon to see how we do, although I don't know if I have the balls to buy Terra Mystica before trying something like Agricola or Caylus. Lots to chew on :o:

More stuff:

How would you guys compare Kemet vs. Cyclades? Does Dominant Species factor at all in here, or completely different ballgame?

I think I have a good idea about where to go worker placement wise, but for a game with a strong auction mechanic (GoT sorta has this but it's still at it's heart fightey): anyone have any thoughts on Princes of Florence/El Grande/Keyflower?

e: and Warhammer Diskwars looks really cool. Chaos in the Old World is such a fun game, god the WH theme rules

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jan 6, 2015

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

T-Bone posted:

Thanks for all the recommendations guys (and the K2 reviews) Temporum looks pretty great, had never heard of it -- and Viticulture/Concordia were two I had looked at a while ago but were worried about theme wise. Now that I think/know my group won't care as much I'll have to bring them back into the debate. Definitely want to get a heavier euro to the table sometime soon to see how we do, although I don't know if I have the balls to buy Terra Mystica before trying something like Agricola or Caylus. Lots to chew on :o:

More stuff:

How would you guys compare Kemet vs. Cyclades? Does Dominant Species factor at all in here, or completely different ballgame?

I think I have a good idea about where to go worker placement wise, but for a game with a strong auction mechanic (GoT sorta has this but it's still at it's heart fightey): anyone have any thoughts on Princes of Florence/El Grande/Keyflower?

Dominant Species is a completely different ballgame.

I like dominant species, it is an intense Worker placement game with lots of mean actions and lots of ways to screw your opponent(s) and ensure your species eventual domination. However, the conflict isn't direct in the same way Kemet is, in Kemet you choose an opponents armies to fight, and a skirmish ensues. There is no direct competition in Dominant Species, outside of one action that lets you eliminate a single one of your opponents units and the glaciation action. Dominant Species is a game of intelligent resource and worker use to out compete your opponent. In Kemet, the game IS direct conflict, and your points come just as much from winning a fight as holding an area.

Dominant Species is much more of a traditional Euro game whereas Kemet is more of a mix between ameritrash sensibilites and traditional euro.

I don't really like cyclades, the bidding mechanic felt very bland to me (and I am a fan of bidding mechanics) but it is very pretty, and much simpler than Kemet to learn.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

T-Bone posted:

I haven't played Cyclades, but Kemet and DS are very different games. Kemet is a fairly aggressive territory control game, while Dominant Species is a more passive aggressive worker placement based territory control game.

The worker placement aspect and how the actions resolve makes Dominant Species work really differently.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

deadly_pudding posted:

You have my group :v:
To this day I'm the only one who's read the rules for FATE, and there were two in the group when we were playing D&D that only read the parts of the PHB that said what their spells did.

I spent $150 on the D&D 5e rulebooks despite knowing I'll probably never play because reading rulebooks is fun.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Obama 2012 posted:

Over the holidays I got the chance to run a 7-player game of Eclipse and I am shocked (shocked, I say!) at how well the simultaneous turn variant managed to speed up the game without causing us problems. The galaxy setup was a bit broader than with 6-players, which may be what enabled my neighbor to block me off from the galactic center with a tier 1 tile before I could even get there. That did end up leaving me no option except to steamroll my way through him though, and by the end of the game he was in last place, down to 1 territory and no ships left on the board, so I guess there's justice in the world after all.

Has anyone had experience using alliances with 7+ players? The more experienced amongst our group had no enthusiasm for playing with them, so we left them out. The only time I ever used them was in a 4 player game, which ended with the two most powerful empires just joining together and leaving the rest of us to wither. I decided after that not to have them at all unless there were significantly more players.

We used to play Eclipse (with expansion) twice a week, usually 4 or 6 players. 4 players we left it as a standard free-for-all, but with 6 we opened up 2 person alliances. So in this way, it never ended up as half vs half, it might become 2v1v1v1v1, or 2v2v1v1. Just because they're working together doesn't mean they'll win, their scores are still averaged out. I've even seen an alliance break up late in the game when one person really tanked, and the other was huge.

Though, I once did a similar thing as your opponent did before. I blocked a person in, then said "We've got two choices. Fight the whole game, or we make an alliance, I cede this system near the middle to you, I protect most of our sector while you go and annihilate people."

She chose the 2nd, and we won. Another pair made an alliance, with the single people picking at both groups, knowing that the two large alliances were after each other mainly. Worked out better than you'd think.

Eclipse is still one of my favorite games.

Yas
Apr 7, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

I haven't played Cyclades, but Kemet and DS are very different games. Kemet is a fairly aggressive territory control game, while Dominant Species is a more passive aggressive worker placement based territory control game.

The worker placement aspect and how the actions resolve makes Dominant Species work really differently.

You may have the worker placement passive blocking, but the Depletion, Glaciation, Competition and Domination are all directly aggressive. I don't know how heavy Kemet is, but if it is similar to something like Chaos in the Old World then Dominant Species is decidedly longer and heavier (and better :ssh: ).

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
Over the weekend I played catastrophe on a 15+ cube hex. It was glorious.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Yas posted:

You may have the worker placement passive blocking, but the Depletion, Glaciation, Competition and Domination are all directly aggressive. I don't know how heavy Kemet is, but if it is similar to something like Chaos in the Old World then Dominant Species is decidedly longer and heavier (and better :ssh: ).

Its certainly longer and heavier, but "better" is something much harder to evaluate. They are very different types of games, that test different types of skills and strategies, and both are quite fun.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Yas posted:

You may have the worker placement passive blocking, but the Depletion, Glaciation, Competition and Domination are all directly aggressive.
Fair.

quote:

I don't know how heavy Kemet is, but if it is similar to something like Chaos in the Old World then Dominant Species is decidedly longer and heavier
Accurate. Kemet's probably a bit less heavy than CitOW

quote:

(and better :ssh: ).
Debatable.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

T-Bone posted:

How would you guys compare Kemet vs. Cyclades?

Pretty different games. Kemet is all about being aggressive, while with Cyclades you don't have to participate in combat to win (though it helps quite a bit), since the focus is more on bidding for what you need (and/or later outbidding people who will win with a specific god) and having the right buildings/opportunities to win. I like both games quite a bit, but they're pretty different from each other.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Had any goons had some experience with Assault on Doomrock? It seems to have a few nice ideas, but then again it seems to have the same old tired fantasy humor as certain game this thread does not appreciate and I'm conditioned to instinctively distrust :poland: games.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

T-Bone posted:

More stuff:

e: and Warhammer Diskwars looks really cool. Chaos in the Old World is such a fun game, god the WH theme rules

Keyflower is a really strong worker placement that people seem to love, and it will be getting a reprint soon. Dominant Species is an excellent and, from what I've seen, fairly unique take on worker placement, given the emphasis on direct conflict. (Age of Empires maybe? I digress). Really though, you can't top the King (Phillip the Fair.)

I've kinda felt that Game of Thrones was Kemet+Diplomacy, and would be a great place to look for something a little deeper than Kemet.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Broken Loose posted:

gently caress poo poo GUYS WHY THE gently caress ISN'T EVERYBODY EXPLODING ABOUT THIS??

http://myemail.constantcontact.com/...aid=17aPfDgMspI

:frogsiren: :siren: PICTOMANIA PREORDERS ARE LIVE, GAME COMES OUT IN MARCH :siren: :frogsiren:

I AM LOSING MY poo poo

Fat Samurai posted:

Got I’m a snob and want to lord over my friends with my good taste in games, so could someone give me a quick run down of Yomi and the Indines games? I think the thread had good opinions on them.

I would say that the "goon hivemind" is positive about both titles, yes!

You can ask about Yomi in its poorly-conceived independent thread here
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3559377
And probably receive answers from a number of people more well-adjusted than myself.

Indines thread is here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3592828

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory

Lichtenstein posted:

Had any goons had some experience with Assault on Doomrock? It seems to have a few nice ideas, but then again it seems to have the same old tired fantasy humor as certain game this thread does not appreciate and I'm conditioned to instinctively distrust :poland: games.

Had a chance to play it once so far and I loved it. I have tried almost every RPG-proxy board & card games and until I got Imperial Assault, Assault on Doomrock was the one I had the most fun. I liked the abstract combat positioning mechanics it had and the way it used the yahtzee method of rolling dice and then placing them on various skills you have to activate them. The humor in it is mostly subtle and I appreciate it for that as well.

Check out Rahdo's video about it for more details: https://boardgamegeek.com/video/47375/assault-doomrock/rahdo-runs-through-assault-doomrock

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Lorini posted:

Back a bit again, you guys are writing too fast for this slowpoke :).

OK in our games, good players manipulated food so that at the end of the round, they could take a loan, that's how good loans are vs food, and if you see the penalty you can see why. The fourth player in a four player game shouldn't do this because the food accumulation is great enough to make food worthwhile.

The issue that I(we) have with the two pronged strategy of Le Havre is that there are let's say sucker deals in the game. For example, you can't win concentrating on the end- game scoring cards if others are going for coke/steel or ships. Contrast this with his game after Le Havre, Ora et Labora, where there is again only two real strategies, but everything in the game is used to achieve either of those strategies. You don't have the situation where you are basically fooled into thinking that there's an end game strategy that ultimately will never work out. In Ora, you can either do settlements or Wonders. However, doing either of those strategies will have you exploring the entire game, not just coke/steel, not just ships. So the design is broader and more accessible AND (importantly) newbie friendly, where Le Havre is not. Ora is one of my top 5 games of all time, I love that game, will play it any time, so no, I have nothing against games with limited numbers of strategies. I don't like games though where what appears to be a way to win is not, and I don't like games where much of the design is not needed to win the game.

Fair enough, I do really need to play Ora one day but I don't think anyone I know owns it.

Nitis
Mar 22, 2003

Amused? I think not.

Captain Walker posted:

poo poo, I just spent 8 hours on 3 rounds of Twilight Imperium and I'll never get to play it again. Is it that bad? I just want to fill that tactical-combat hole that switching to 13th Age left, and Descent/ the D&D Adventure System games are apparently poo poo :(

TI is a great game, but I feel it's a stretch to call it a tactical combat game.

The plastic pieces on the table are a part of the metagame occurring as players are trying to score points. Depending on the available objectives, a player may engage fleets once or twice during a game, and engage in fleet maneuvering (posturing), But that's a smaller focus of the game, considering how difficult it is to really root out an entrenched opponent. Eliminating a player who doesn't want to go is very difficult, and time/resource consuming.

In fact, I don't' believe I've never seen a player who's solely focused on rolling dice ever win a game.

Try and find a group that plays regularly, and knows the rules, and you'll have a much more engaging experience.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
He was talking about Mage Knight, not TI3 with that comment. However his post was worded awkwardly so I don't blame you for misreading it.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Nitis posted:

TI is a great game, but I feel it's a stretch to call it a tactical combat game.

The plastic pieces on the table are a part of the metagame occurring as players are trying to score points. Depending on the available objectives, a player may engage fleets once or twice during a game, and engage in fleet maneuvering (posturing), But that's a smaller focus of the game, considering how difficult it is to really root out an entrenched opponent. Eliminating a player who doesn't want to go is very difficult, and time/resource consuming.

In fact, I don't' believe I've never seen a player who's solely focused on rolling dice ever win a game.

Try and find a group that plays regularly, and knows the rules, and you'll have a much more engaging experience.

Agreed

I'd be surprised to see a game of TI where a player was attacking more than a couple times per game. People are amassing fleets pretty much constantly, and to stay in the arms race you have to be very judicious about how you expend that fleet. Too many casualties, and you're ripe picking for the players who stayed out of combat and now have full fleets to bear on your weakened empire. Basically, you don't attack unless you have rock solid relationships with your neighbours, or have a sizeable production advantage that you can replenish casualties quicker than you take them.

EDIT: Regarding tactical combat games: Descent is pretty good by most accounts actually. If you don't mind scifi Level 7: Omega Protocol is awesome. Of course, you could always go for some full blown kriegspiel and get some war games.

Sinlaeshel
Apr 5, 2009

"I cannot speak English
because I am Japanese
"
Ahh I was so excited for my copy of Temporum to arrive, but it looks like it's missing half the cards. Hopefully Rio Grande Games can make this right.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

The End posted:

Agreed

I'd be surprised to see a game of TI where a player was attacking more than a couple times per game. People are amassing fleets pretty much constantly, and to stay in the arms race you have to be very judicious about how you expend that fleet. Too many casualties, and you're ripe picking for the players who stayed out of combat and now have full fleets to bear on your weakened empire. Basically, you don't attack unless you have rock solid relationships with your neighbours, or have a sizeable production advantage that you can replenish casualties quicker than you take them.

The only time I've seen people attack in my admittedly limited TI3 experience is to score a VP, usually by taking control of Mecatol Rex. I've never seen, for example, attacking for the sake of expansion.

For tactical games, Mage Wars and Warhammer: Disk Wars sprung to mind immediately. Dungeon Twister and Earth Reborn are strong considerations as well.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
In my experience with TI3 combat is like a switch that only flips one way, it almost never happened until someone in our group started playing more aggressively and now it happens a lot. Eclipse even more so. I think in both games once people started getting their heads around mechanics and strategy they started focusing more on what other players were doing and interaction sky rocketed. In Eclipse in particular fighting starts early and keeps going heavy throughout the game.

This also happened in Clash of Cultures so I think it's a civ game thing. Most people in my group would prefer to sit in their corners and get an engine going while stocking up defensively but once one person gets nearly annihilated the best defense being a good offense started to become a thing.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Using the expansion objectives definitely makes TI3 more aggressive. The last game I played had some consistent combat, but it was cagey and limited until the end game, because noone wanted to be stuck defenceless before a major fleet

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Blamestorm posted:

In my experience with TI3 combat is like a switch that only flips one way, it almost never happened until someone in our group started playing more aggressively and now it happens a lot. Eclipse even more so. I think in both games once people started getting their heads around mechanics and strategy they started focusing more on what other players were doing and interaction sky rocketed. In Eclipse in particular fighting starts early and keeps going heavy throughout the game.

This also happened in Clash of Cultures so I think it's a civ game thing. Most people in my group would prefer to sit in their corners and get an engine going while stocking up defensively but once one person gets nearly annihilated the best defense being a good offense started to become a thing.

It's definitely a mentality thing, and 4x games are prone to it. It's like those guys who play RTS games and never attack until they have researched every technology and hit the game's unit limit.

The other problem is that if you attack early and are wildly successful you can put someone out of the game, which means there are another 4 hours they have to sit around not doing anything for (or just leave).

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

bobvonunheil posted:

It's definitely a mentality thing, and 4x games are prone to it. It's like those guys who play RTS games and never attack until they have researched every technology and hit the game's unit limit.

The other problem is that if you attack early and are wildly successful you can put someone out of the game, which means there are another 4 hours they have to sit around not doing anything for (or just leave).

Its beyond just mentality, so many of the objectives are incredibly passive and don't require you to interact with your opponent at all. I mean how many objective revolve around how many techs you have, or planets you control?

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

The End posted:

EDIT: Regarding tactical combat games: Descent is pretty good by most accounts actually. If you don't mind scifi Level 7: Omega Protocol is awesome. Of course, you could always go for some full blown kriegspiel and get some war games.

Descent is unbalanced and kind of swingy with too much reliance on dice (seriously, defense shouldn't be a roll...and wasn't, in 1st edition), but if you can find someone who actually enjoys the Overlord role, which is completely different from and IMHO far less satisfying than the heroes, it's not terrible, no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Myrmidongs posted:

The Resistance clusterfuck continues. Not sure if these comments are open for the public, or if you need to be a backer, but they are worth reading yourselves here.

The tl;dr of it is that some idiot in the UK is incredibly butthurt at Travis (The Indie Board & Cards dude). UK dude has been posting dumb poo poo about not receiving the game or a refund. Travis posts a Paypal email with the guy's personal info saying he did return the money. The dude apparently doesn't understand how the gently caress Paypal works. He posts that he has supposedly gone to the police and his bank to file fraud charges. Then he posts that Travis is now supposedly threatening to sue him. :can:

Amazing.

It should be noted that while Travis is doing all this, Don Eskridge is being a helpful bro of a dude on literally every rules question on the HI+HA forums. I'd feel sorry for Don but hopefully he's seeing some of the hundreds of thousands of dollars Travis has made.