Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

That's strange. Just yesterday I did two Snow Leopard to Yosemite migrations with no issue.

E: actually one was Snow Leopard and one was Mountain Lion, but still, no problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

shodanjr_gr posted:

It did though...I had to do a recovery of the target Mac before it would even let me run migration assistant.
Was the "target Mac" the source or the destination? Sounds like you were trying to run a newer version of migration assistant on the source Mac rather than the version that came with the OS.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Choadmaster posted:

Was the "target Mac" the source or the destination? Sounds like you were trying to run a newer version of migration assistant on the source Mac rather than the version that came with the OS.

Target was the destination. Maybe that's what happened on the source? I just ran migration assistant via spotlight. I did the same thing after reformatting the destination Mac with a fresh copy of Yosemite via Internet recovery and it started working.

Going on to 15 hours now in migration mode.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Any word on when Photos is coming?

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

Kobayashi posted:

Hmm, it happens to me about once a week. It happens a lot in Safari, but I've had it happen in other apps too. I also get random crash messages from the graphics card, but I haven't felt like spending the time to diagnose any further.

I get fairly frequent GPU crashes ("graphics problem was detected" on reboot) that happen whenever switching between integrated and discrete GPUs, but only since Yosemite. Reading some of the bugs people are experiencing with the 10.10.2 beta, the new patch is doing some GPU related stuff, so I'm betting it's a software issue.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Is anyone having troubles publishing photos to a shared iCloud stream in iPhoto? I keep adding photos to streams but they never turn up on the iPad I have it shared to. I've only managed to get one photo working so far.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I suspect this isn't possible, but is there a way to hook up an iPhone to a Mac and record live video from the iPhone's camera? I'd like to use my Mac as a live monitor, with the improved quality of the iPhone's camera. I know I can record and then edit on a Mac later, but I wondered if there was a way to capture directly to the Mac. If not, it's not a big deal.

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

Kobayashi posted:

I suspect this isn't possible, but is there a way to hook up an iPhone to a Mac and record live video from the iPhone's camera? I'd like to use my Mac as a live monitor, with the improved quality of the iPhone's camera. I know I can record and then edit on a Mac later, but I wondered if there was a way to capture directly to the Mac. If not, it's not a big deal.

AirServer - http://www.airserver.com/, will let you AirPlay your phone's screen to your Mac and then you can record it, see here - http://support.airserver.com/customer/portal/articles/1479754-how-to-use-the-recording-feature.

It works pretty well and will switch between landscape and portrait when you rotate the phone. Video quality is much better than my iMacs built in camera. You will get the camera controls in the video though

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
If you're going the screen capture route, which isn't the full resolution of the camera and thus kinda sucks, you can record the screen of a USB-connected iOS device using the version of QuickTime X that ships with Yosemite.

jmu
Feb 12, 2004

weoo.org

Djimi posted:

Reading your blog, I think you may find this useful.

Oh snap, thank you!

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011
What kind of resolution do you guys use on a RMBP13 when bootcamping into windows? I've been doing 1920x1080 but it looks kinda lovely. I understand that it'll never look as good as in OSX, but maybe something a little nicer looking? I use it for 1 or 2 programs that don't support mac and some 3d gaming of older games.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Do you have access to Windows 8.1? They implemented (finally) comparable scaling to OS X in that version. It's not perfect but it's much nicer than Windows 8 and prior (I have the Windows 10 alpha on mine.)

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

carry on then posted:

Do you have access to Windows 8.1? They implemented (finally) comparable scaling to OS X in that version. It's not perfect but it's much nicer than Windows 8 and prior (I have the Windows 10 alpha on mine.)

I suppose I could get it through my university, but I don't think it'd be worth the effort of reinstalling. Plus, in less than two weeks I won't have access to regular internet so jumping to something new is a bit risky without being able to find tech support. I'm using Windows 7 now.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
Does anyone know exactly which files and folders need transferring to move Logic 9 to a new machine? I've found the ones for X but no one seems 100% on all the files required for 9. I can't target drive it over or similar as the old mac I'm taking it from is dead. I can redownload if i have no other option but I'd rather not if possible as its a pretty huge download with all the additional content included.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

LPG Giant posted:

I suppose I could get it through my university, but I don't think it'd be worth the effort of reinstalling. Plus, in less than two weeks I won't have access to regular internet so jumping to something new is a bit risky without being able to find tech support. I'm using Windows 7 now.

You sound like a lost cause, but just for the record:

1. Outside of maybe the first two weeks after its release or so, it's never been smart to run Windows 7 instead of 8/8.1. Desktop applications work as before and the only feature I'm using from the "tile world" is the shutdown/reboot.
2. You don't need to reinstall, you can upgrade.
3. It's not like Windows 8.1 came out last week. You're not going to need tech support unless you're running some weird applications or peripherals that only run on Windows 7.

I don't particularly like MS and Windows, but sometimes I pity MS for the attitudes they have to deal with.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

flavor posted:

You sound like a lost cause, but just for the record:

1. Outside of maybe the first two weeks after its release or so, it's never been smart to run Windows 7 instead of 8/8.1. Desktop applications work as before and the only feature I'm using from the "tile world" is the shutdown/reboot.
2. You don't need to reinstall, you can upgrade.
3. It's not like Windows 8.1 came out last week. You're not going to need tech support unless you're running some weird applications or peripherals that only run on Windows 7.

I don't particularly like MS and Windows, but sometimes I pity MS for the attitudes they have to deal with.

The biggest drawback for installing Win 8/8.1 over Win 7 on my Bootcamp partition has been the fact that Win 8/8.1 is a greasy pile of poo poo. That's my only holdup.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Last Chance posted:

The biggest drawback for installing Win 8/8.1 over Win 7 on my Bootcamp partition has been the fact that Win 8/8.1 is a greasy pile of poo poo. That's my only holdup.
It's not.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Last Chance posted:

Yeah this too. I have a lot of friends using Windows 8 and they all agreed that upgrading was a mistake.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Install StartIsBack and Windows 8 becomes Windows 7 But Flat. There were very few major architectural changes outside of those to support Metro, and once you hide that away there's very little difference in using it vs 7. On the other side, the interface scaling is much improved and basically makes retina displays usable under Windows. There really isn't much the OP can do except run at 1280x800 which will make it blocky but not blurry, or deal with Windows 7 at 150% scaling.

carry on then fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jan 6, 2015

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

carry on then posted:

Install StartIsBack and Windows 8 becomes Windows 7 But Flat. There were very few major architectural changes outside of those to support Metro, and once you hide that away there's very little difference in using it vs 7. On the other side, the interface scaling is much improved and basically makes retina displays useable under Windows. There really isn't much the OP can do except run at 1280x800 which will make it blocky but not blurry, or deal with Windows 7 at 150% scaling.

I'll just stick with what I have then, thanks. I use it maybe one hour per week so it's not a big deal.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I don't like using Windows at all, but aside from the start menu dumping you into the metro launcher, it's not really much different than any previous Windows. If you're not running metro apps it's the same poo poo. Windows sucks but 8.1 is fine.

(Full disclosure: the computer at work that I do all my billing on runs 8.1 Pro)

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

LPG Giant posted:

I'll just stick with what I have then, thanks. I use it maybe one hour per week so it's not a big deal.

Unfortunately, Windows 7 came out long before the trend of HiDPI displays, so its support for DPI > 120 just isn't there. I'd personally recommend 1280x800, which should be roughly equivalent to what you would get from running Parallels under OS X. I don't know what scaling is used, you may want to download the Intel Iris driver utility and see if it has any settings for scaling if it's still blurry.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
If you're running Parallels, might as well run apps in Coherence mode and don't even deal with the Windows desktop at all.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

fleshweasel posted:

Try resetting PRAM. Seriously.

I mean, I'm going to do this in a sec, but... why?

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

LPG Giant posted:

Yeah this too. I have a lot of friends using Windows 8 and they all agreed that upgrading was a mistake.

Ooh okay. Very substantiated, so I stand corrected.

And I know a guy who said the moon landing never took place.

Last Chance posted:

Really helpful also.

I like to try putting some effort into these things besides "it's poo poo", so people get something they can reflect on other than "random person on a forum likes/dislikes it". Again: Outside of the tile interface, which I've been able to almost completely avoid, Windows 8/8.1 is optimized over 7, has better security features and works exactly the same, so if you can get it for free, there's no reason not to upgrade.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Look, we can beat around the bush and list off our favorite hacks that make Windows 8 usable, but come on. You all know deep down that those hacks exist because Windows 8 sucks. I've heard nothing but horror stories from family, friends, "IT folk", about it.

If you like to drink piss but dye it a different color via hacks, that's fine, but don't pretend you're drinking pink lemonade, just admit you love piss.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
I have 8.1 on my gaming computer and never have a problem with it. :confused:

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Last Chance posted:

Look, we can beat around the bush and list off our favorite hacks that make Windows 8 usable, but come on. You all know deep down that those hacks exist because Windows 8 sucks. I've heard nothing but horror stories from family, friends, "IT folk", about it.

If you like to drink piss but dye it a different color via hacks, that's fine, but don't pretend you're drinking pink lemonade, just admit you love piss.
It's good and not bad. Hope this helps.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Last Chance posted:

sucks. I've heard drink piss love piss.

Ah... I've heard that it sucks and I have the expletives to prove it. And what seals it is "tools exist to make it look and act differently", which is totally different from all other OSs.

Also BTW Windows 7 mainstream support ends a week from today, but let's not allow facts to get in the way.

1997 posted:

I have 8.1 on my gaming computer and never have a problem with it. :confused:

Agreed.

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!
Windows 8 convinced me to switch to a Mac, so it was good for something.

Like others have said, Windows 8 might be disappointing because of how bad its big new feature is, but otherwise it's just a slightly nicer Windows 7. There's no real reason to avoid it.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

According to MS I'd have to pay $120 to "upgrade" to Windows 8.1 from Windows 7. Are you making GBS threads me? I'd rather not spend that money on enabling Some Tiled Thing by Microsoft. Seems like I could pay to get tortured in much more creative ways. ;)

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.
Assuming MS release a cheap version of Windows 10 to entice people to upgrade, that's when I'll upgrade from 7 Pro. Given they did something similar when Win 8 came out, I have my fingers crossed.

Anyway </offtopic>

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Last Chance posted:

That's just it. There is only one “hack” that is needed: getting rid of the Not-Called-Metro™ interface as a start menu. Win8 does not suck — its core is better than Win7, but that core is covered by a layer that needs to be peeled off. All the horror stories are just that one thing injecting itself into various use cases. If you use all the added Metro features, then sure, you will get a slightly schizophrenic presentation. If you treat it like Windows, it will act like it is is Windows.

Beyond that, it's just a matter of learning where to find all the things, same as you had to do with Win3.0, 3.1, 95, 98, ME, NT, 2k, XP, Vista, and 7. The flaw with Metro was that MS didn't implement it the way Apple did with Launchpad.

So your lemonade analogy doesn't really work. The analogy itself is a bit like pretending that your brown sauce is now poo poo because you waited a bit too long to pour it and it has now formed a skin, when all you have to do is give it a stir.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jan 7, 2015

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Tippis posted:

That's just it. There is only one “hack” that is needed: getting rid of the Not-Called-Metro™ interface as a start menu. Win8 does not suck — its core is better than Win7, but that core is covered by a layer that needs to be peeled off. All the horror stories are just that one thing injecting itself into various use cases. If you use all the added Metro features, then sure, you will get a slightly schizophrenic presentation. If you treat it like Windows, it will act like it is is Windows.

Beyond that, it's just a matter of learning where to find all the things, same as you had to do with Win3.0, 3.1, 95, 98, ME, NT, 2k, XP, Vista, and 7. The flaw with Metro was that MS didn't implement it the way Apple did with Launchpad.

So your lemonade analogy doesn't really work. The analogy itself is a bit like pretending that your brown sauce is now poo poo because you waited a bit too long to pour it and it has now formed a skin, when all you have to do is give it a stir.

Yeah, I was reading that as "what loving hack? Just turn off Metro and it's fine."

Also, 8.1 fixes just about everything that was wrong with 8. Did not like 8 one bit, but 8.1 is very different. I have it on bootcamp, but I found it easier to convert it to a VM (still use the bootcamp install just through VMWare) since I don't use it for games. I have a couple of different Linux installs as well I use from time to time. My work is pretty OS agnostic, but I need to test PoC stuff in all kinds of OS's and environments (another reason I use VMs).

Usually whenever someone says "OS such-and-such is crap!" or even better (since we're talking Windows here) uses terms like "Winblows" or "M$/Micro$oft" I'm pretty comfortable tuning out anything they have to say. Each OS has it's strengths and weaknesses and I use whatever tools I need to be able to do my job. It must be exhausting to be so emotionally bound to a bunch of code.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
I never thought I'd see Windows be defended by a majority in a Mac thread.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

wolffenstein posted:

I never thought I'd see Windows be defended by a majority in a Mac thread.

Eh. I think it's less that and more about trying to stop pointless "Lol, Micro$oft sux ballz!" circle-jerks.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

People just need to stop being retarded and stick to Windows 7 until at least Windows 10 comes out.

Probad posted:

Windows 8 convinced me to switch to a Mac, so it was good for something.

This basically, I needed a laptop and it was impossible at the time to find one still running Win7. Will always be buying Macbook Pros from then on out.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

flosofl posted:

Eh. I think it's less that and more about trying to stop pointless "Lol, Micro$oft sux ballz!" circle-jerks.
That and I think most people here are genuinely trying to provide the right information to allow people to make an informed decision.

I don't really like using Windows but I've got 8.1 on my work desktop and even with the Metro stuff turned on its not too bad since they scaled back how obnoxious some of the GUI is with the updates.

That said I don't play games on my Mac so I'm entirely okay with Windows in VMs and never bother with boot camp.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Mercurius posted:

That and I think most people here are genuinely trying to provide the right information to allow people to make an informed decision.

Exactly that.

Mercurius posted:

I don't really like using Windows

Me neither, but to the extent that I have to use it, I might as well use the best version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
As of yesterday I have a Mac for the first time in...almost 20 years? So dumb question: what do I need to do for malware protection? I still have a desktop PC that will handle the majority of my computing so at the least something that could make sure I don't just transfer something nasty over when moving customer submitted files would be nice.