Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Twerk from Home posted:

If nVidia had positioned the 970 at $400+ and the 980 at $650+, maybe there would have been room for the R9-390 to come in and disrupt prices.
If the rumor mill is correct R9 390/X will be aiming for performance lead and not bang for buck so expecting them to be cheap or disrupt prices much, except at the very high end, doesn't seem to pan out logically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

If the rumor mill is correct R9 390/X will be aiming for performance lead and not bang for buck so expecting them to be cheap or disrupt prices much, except at the very high end, doesn't seem to pan out logically.
Are we taking bets on how high the temp/power/noise will get this time?

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Gah, I'm running 970s in SLI mode with AA turned *off* and I'm still getting miserable performance at 1440p (I can't get a stable 60 FPS - fluctuates anywhere from ~45 to ~90, depending on what I'm doing.

Could my i5 4690 be bottlenecking the game? Has anyone got it to run beautifully in 970 sli?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

beergod posted:

Gah, I'm running 970s in SLI mode with AA turned *off* and I'm still getting miserable performance at 1440p (I can't get a stable 60 FPS - fluctuates anywhere from ~45 to ~90, depending on what I'm doing.

Could my i5 4690 be bottlenecking the game? Has anyone got it to run beautifully in 970 sli?

Playing what? Counterstrike? Flight sim X? WoW?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

beergod posted:

What game?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Based on that miserable result, I'd guess Assassin's Creed: Unity :v:

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
After a bit of messing around I'm fairly content with the evga acx 2 970. If I'd known about the issues with the cooler and the cheap power delivery beforehand I would have bit down and bought the Gigabyte or one of the non-flagship MSI/ASUS cards, but the difference isn't worth the hassle of returning it. Thankfully my case completely muffles the coil whine and I don't have it as bad as some people do but the issue definitely exists.

It's not a very demanding game but Valkyria Chronicles was the first game I could run with 4xDSR and not have the UI shrink to the point it was unplayable. Absolutely gorgeous, and I never caught it dropping a single frame even while recording.

They've got a $10 mail in rebate going on for anyone making the mistake of ordering one in January, which I'm just barely not eligible for. As much as it's the worst 970 it's also currently going for $10 cheaper than its competition on Amazon, with the $10 MIR on top of that, which could be tempting if you're willing to gamble on the MIR and accept shittier temps.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

HalloKitty posted:

Oh dear, the 960 looks like it may well come in with a pathetic 128-bit memory bus and 2GiB VRAM after all.

This would be a colossally awful move for NVIDIA seeing as VRAM requirements in games are pretty rapidly shooting up.

If this is actually going to be the case, then in my opinion, there's nothing interesting about it to wait for, regardless of how low power it might be; people wanting something cheaper than a 970 are going to be best served with a 280X or 290 until further notice.

Launching on January 22, and it will look like this.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Rastor posted:

Launching on January 22, and it will look like this.

Well, that's weak. This leaves a giant gap between the 960 and 970. Seems like it's time for another loving alphabet soup with "Ti" and whatever. Oh, and overpriced 960s with 4GiB.

This seems like a good time for AMD to hit back with something - they've usually been stronger in the mid-range - but I don't think there's anything new soon.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jan 6, 2015

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

HalloKitty posted:

Well, that's weak. This leaves a giant gap between the 960 and 970. Seems like it's time for another loving alphabet soup with "Ti" and whatever. Oh, and overpriced 960s with 4GiB.

This seems like a good time for AMD to hit back with something - they've usually been stronger in the mid-range - but I don't think there's anything new soon.

AMD has been rebranding for the midrange, maybe the R9-290/X becomes the R9-380/X with long term MSRPs of $200 / $240. The 290s have been going that low if you can catch a sale and MIR, so it's not that crazy.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jan 6, 2015

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Don't sell poo poo in random threads on SA. You may make a thread on SA-Mart and link to it here.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

HalloKitty posted:

AMD already had their little 960 moment with that 2 GB R9 285 Tonga thing that left everyone scratching their heads.
More time for good old 7970/280X to bask in the sun its own warm glow as it gets close to 200$. I chuckled a little when it beat the 970 in that 1920*1200 DA:Inq Ultra benchmark.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

sauer kraut posted:

AMD already had their little 960 moment with that 2 GB R9 285 Tonga thing that left everyone scratching their heads.

That's actually a really good point. A card that didn't seem to fit in. I feel like the 960 is going to land in the exact same spot - the VRAM situation can't be ignored any longer.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jan 7, 2015

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
I could see Nvidia introducing a 2GB 960 at $230, and a 4GB model at $280. That way they could technically have a card with awesome performance close to the old 760 price point, but force you to shell out extra if you don't want the inevitable bottleneck.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

Not yet. Too much is rumor still. But if the rumors are right it'll cooler than the 290/X but still be hotter than the 970/980 and use more power but also be noticeably faster.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Hace posted:

I could see Nvidia introducing a 2GB 960 at $230, and a 4GB model at $280. That way they could technically have a card with awesome performance close to the old 760 price point, but force you to shell out extra if you don't want the inevitable bottleneck.
While seemingly a nice gap to put something of your description in, it's going to be really hard for nVidia to justify only $50 more for twice the GDDR5 memory for how few cards might sell at that point. $50 is within the margin of how much EVGA/MSI/ASUS/Gigabyte et al. will charge extra for their coolers, and also GDDR5 is very expensive.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
http://www.pcgamer.com/new-geforce-gtx-965m-appears-in-msis-new-gaming-laptop/

GTX 965 in laptops good sign for 965 desktop cards?

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT

beergod posted:

Holy poo poo, sorry guys. The game is Far Cry 4. I changed the SLI profile to the Far Cry 3 profile and that helped dramatically, but the question still stands.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

beergod posted:

The game is Far Cry 4.

Well there's the problem :)
You can google around for miracle fixes like this, but basically Ubisoft happens.
http://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/2mt8fy/nvidia_users_who_stutter_in_far_cry_4_everyone/

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
I must be the luckiest dude alive because far cry 4 runs like a dream for me in 1440p, with a single 970. I've played the whole game top to bottom, online, everything there is to do.

It can chunk down to 40 or 50 sometimes but its very smooth when it does so. Also its pretty as poo poo.

edit: disclosure, its probably the first game I dont max out all settings all the time though I just remembered

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jan 7, 2015

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
In Far Cry 4 using the Nvidia selection will add a heap of things that you'll never notice (like higher quality fur on animals) unless you're really looking for it. Ultra is probably a better position to start tweaking from.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

EVGA has announced the Super SuperClocked (SSC) Edition, which presumably addresses issues people raised with their previous GTX 970 releases.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

seriously they should have saved face and just named it the regular rear end superclock one and offer to replace anybody's for free if they want. within some tiny rear end window, but really the "super super" ? lol

I feel like I could like EVGA as a gpu company, but I feel like they need to cut their model line in half or more. They all virtually do exactly the same thing

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

1gnoirents posted:

seriously they should have saved face and just named it the regular rear end superclock one and offer to replace anybody's for free if they want. within some tiny rear end window, but really the "super super" ? lol

I feel like I could like EVGA as a gpu company, but I feel like they need to cut their model line in half or more. They all virtually do exactly the same thing

They've been doing this for a really long time though, I remember using the step-up to trade in a 320MB 8800GTS for a "super super clocked" 512MB 8800GT for free.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Perhaps theyd do better to expand their vocab so they can say Mega Massive Superclocked. that'd open up the possibilities for tons of new cards with +/-30 mhz differences

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Twerk from Home posted:

They've been doing this for a really long time though, I remember using the step-up to trade in a 320MB 8800GTS for a "super super clocked" 512MB 8800GT for free.

The 8800 GT was an absurd card. Hilariously overpowered for it's market segment. Those were the days...

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

PerrineClostermann posted:

The 8800 GT was an absurd card. Hilariously overpowered for it's market segment. Those were the days...

Were they really? Someone gave me an old Dell and it has a 8800GT in it factory. All I thought was "I remember those numbers" but I didn't know it was actually any good for the time.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

1gnoirents posted:

Were they really? Someone gave me an old Dell and it has a 8800GT in it factory. All I thought was "I remember those numbers" but I didn't know it was actually any good for the time.

It was a $200 card that was about the same performance as the $400-500 G80 8800GTS. I happily replaced a memory-crippled 320MB 8800GTS that I had paid $300 for with one, and got a performance boost. They later released a different GPU (G92 codename) as the 8800GTS because the old one was so noncompetitive, one of a couple times that I've seen different GPU architectures share the exact same marketing name.

On top of it all they released it at a time when nVidia already had the competitive lead, and it was so good / cheap that the entire 9800 product line was based on rebranded 8800GT. Pretty much all of my friends who play PC games had an 8800GT at one point or another, and one guy is still on one 8 years later.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
The 8800gt was fantastic in its day, and then the 4xxx radeons came along and stomped it. I still regard the 4850 as one of the best bang for the buck cards.

Of course I just installed a 970 and any card that laughs off Witcher 2 and Far Cry 4 on ultra is ok by me, especially for just over 300 dollars. :staredog:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

SinineSiil posted:

Sadly no. My laptop bios doesn't let me do that.

I might just get a cheap 1GB GPU for my old desktop to play this game then.

Alternatively run it in a virtual machine where you get to set the parameters.

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

Melting point of the solder/An additional PSU/Jet taking off from inside a tumbledryer

Edit: I just realised the next line of GPUs from Nvidia has the chance to be called 1080 just as 1440 becomes the norm :v: .

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

Boiled Water posted:

Alternatively run it in a virtual machine where you get to set the parameters.

Melting point of the solder/An additional PSU/Jet taking off from inside a tumbledryer

Edit: I just realised the next line of GPUs from Nvidia has the chance to be called 1080 just as 1440 becomes the norm :v: .

1440p is not anywhere close to the norm, it only represents 1% of monitors on the Steam Hardware Survey, anything above 1080p is still nearly non-existent for single monitors.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
What exactly is the point of the SSC it's still in the lovely ACX 2

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Having some apparent issues with overclocking my MSI Radeon 5850s. MSI Afterburner will happily overclock GPU1, and will happily say "yep we can synchronize the two cards". However, the graphs show that GPU2 is not being overclocked, and is in fact at stock clocks. CPU-Z agrees with this, but GPU-Z doesn't, and Catalyst doesn't seem to give a gently caress anymore. Same results if I try doing the overclock with Catalyst Control Center -- GPU-Z says they're both 850/1175, CPU-Z says the first card is and the second is 765/1125 (stock clocks).

What the gently caress is going on here? Are both cards actually being OC'd and two of three programs are just not getting the picture?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Beautiful Ninja posted:

1440p is not anywhere close to the norm, it only represents 1% of monitors on the Steam Hardware Survey, anything above 1080p is still nearly non-existent for single monitors.

I concede. You have defeated my humor with your superior logic.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Beautiful Ninja posted:

Anybody posting about computers on the internet probably is in the top percentiles for IT spending. The reason why my friend is able to still coast on an 8800GT is because he's playing at 1024x768 in 2015.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Twerk from Home posted:

Anybody posting about computers on the internet probably is in the top percentiles for IT spending. The reason why my friend is able to still coast on an 8800GT is because he's playing at 1024x768 in 2015.

I've read posts of people buying 1080p monitors. Saying that they were getting 60FPS with 8600 GT's at 1080p, but when asked to SS their game settings it would show like 1280x720 or something. Whenever someone says they can play a game I can't play at 60 FPS @ 1080p I ask them what GPU and what resolution and settings. They never seem to think that these matter.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Beautiful Ninja posted:

I was gonna post this but yeah.
You still need a foot long monstrosity with 3 fans to play nice 1080p, 1440p is not even on the radar until the masses will have digested the GTX 970 shock 2-3 generations down the road.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

sauer kraut posted:

You still need a foot long monstrosity with 3 fans to play nice 1080p, 1440p is not even on the radar until the masses will have digested the GTX 970 shock 2-3 generations down the road.

It very much depends on settings and what the hell game you're playing.

A GTX 780 can play Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes at 4K on max settings, and that is an incredibly good looking game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-7bIW1g904

The key to all this is going to be DirectX 12, GSync/FreeSync, and developers not Ubisofting their game engines. If everyone gets their act together, the cards most people already have will be fine for 1440p and beyond. I'd almost bet that 4k PC monitors will come soon and completely eclipse 1440p install base, just because of the consumer-grade marketing cache behind it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

sauer kraut posted:

Well, the 970 might not be cheap, but there are certainly a couple of them that are only 6" long and a single fan. 1440p is certainly cheaper than it ever has been an R9-290 or 970 does fine at 1440.