Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
This seems like the likeliest place to post this- I'm taking my wife and almost 3 year old daughter up to Disney/CA Adventure in Anaheim in a couple weeks, just before the little one's birthday. Plan is currently to drive up (1.5 hours) in the morning, go to CA Adventure for the day, Ariel's grotto for lunch, hotel overnight, Disneyland the next morning and drive home that night.

My question is whether CA Adventure is an entire day of activity? Years ago it was slammed for not having much, but I don't know much about it now. If it's not, I may want to spring for the park hopper pass.

How's Ariel's grotto? Kid loves princesses, especially Frozen ones, so I'm assuming that will be a nice treat for her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

snickles posted:

Any opinions about what the best resorts (probably one of the Disney resorts) to stay at and any other pertinent advice would be appreciated.
It's almost impossible to make a resort recommendation without asking "what's your price range?".

If you're going for one of the value options (which are just fine, it's not like staying at a Motel 6 or anything), I'd stay away from the All-Star resorts just because of the terrible shared bus service. They're also the oldest value hotels on-property. The new Art of Animation resort looks really nice -- especially if you're going with kids -- but I haven't read much about its transportation options.

If you want to stay at a mid-level resort, my favorite is Coronado Springs. Good theming, nice rooms, a great pool area, and one of the best counter service dining options at any of the resorts. I haven't stayed at Port Orleans French Quarter, but I had no real problems with any of the other three.

I've never stayed at one of the deluxe resorts (we're looking at the Boardwalk area later this year), so I can't help you there. They're real expensive though, and if it's just you and a small child, I don't think you'd miss much by staying someplace more affordable.

quote:

Also, is there any advantage to waiting to make our reservations, or should we make them now in order to reserve spots at the restaurants?
You can only book restaurant reservations up to 180 days out, so you still have some time. I don't know how often discounts appear this far in advance -- maybe Braksgirl can give a better idea.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

Glass of Milk posted:

This seems like the likeliest place to post this- I'm taking my wife and almost 3 year old daughter up to Disney/CA Adventure in Anaheim in a couple weeks, just before the little one's birthday. Plan is currently to drive up (1.5 hours) in the morning, go to CA Adventure for the day, Ariel's grotto for lunch, hotel overnight, Disneyland the next morning and drive home that night.

My question is whether CA Adventure is an entire day of activity? Years ago it was slammed for not having much, but I don't know much about it now. If it's not, I may want to spring for the park hopper pass.

How's Ariel's grotto? Kid loves princesses, especially Frozen ones, so I'm assuming that will be a nice treat for her.

Check out the ride closure schedule. Soarin and World of Color are down for a while iirc. But all the new Frozen stuff is starting to come online so it will probable be okay.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
Magic Bands arrived today. It might be because I'm a big guy, but I have to wear it sideways to be comfortable.

Disney does a great job spacing out all the promotional stuff in the mail. Feels like every week there is something else arriving or to do waiting for the trip.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Glass of Milk posted:

I really enjoy California Adventure but the lineup of rides for a 3 year old is not massive. The Aladdin show is really good however and all of the temporary Frozen stuff should be active.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

snickles posted:

Thinking about taking my four year old to Disney for the first time this year (he'll be nearly five by the time we go). It's been years since I've gone and it seems far more complicated to arrange things with a child in tow.

We were planning on going either oct 16 or Nov 13, which both seem to be decent times to go. There's an overwhelming amount of advice about Disney with children on the Internet but it still seems daunting. Any opinions about what the best resorts (probably one of the Disney resorts) to stay at and any other pertinent advice would be appreciated. Also, is there any advantage to waiting to make our reservations, or should we make them now in order to reserve spots at the restaurants?

Well, I've traveled with kids of pretty much all ages, the youngest was just a year old the first time we took all the kids. Four is a great age to take them. Big enough to do things, old enough not to be scared of too much, yet still young enough to appreciate magic.

For my own trips, I won't go in October anymore. It's too crowded and too hot for me. I've actually booked my own trip for November this year, and I'll be there the 13th. So that's my answer there.

As for whether to book now or wait, well, that's up to you. I would suggest booking further than 180 days out so that you can get the dining reservations you want. They don't release Fall discounts until late summer so you have no idea what that's going to look like right now. If you want to book with me, I constantly keep on top of the discounts and I would get it added to your account if I can. This may or may not include hours on the phone and ain't nobody got time for that...but me.

For traveling with kids, I prefer the monorail resorts (Contemporary, Polynesian, Grand Floridian) but that convenience comes at a higher price. My kids love Art of Animation for the themeing and the pool. We're staying there again this year, in fact. For moderates, I like Port Orleans Riverside or French Quarter due to the smaller size. They also have a fantastic kids pool area.

The most important thing to doing Disney with kids is to take frequent breaks. Make sure they stay fed and hydrated. When they start getting cranky, take them to the room for some rest and maybe some pool time. You cannot do kamikaze park touring with little kids. You just can't.

If you want, PM me and we can chat and I can work up some prices for you.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
I meant to post a pic of this but forgot.

Haunted Mansion collectors magic band.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
We've gone twice with our boys and stayed at Pop Century and All Star Movies. The boys liked it, and I thought they were pretty ok. I live in the pacific northwest so half the expense of the trip is in the plane tickets. If I had the option, I'd go for a moderate resort or even a monorail resort but I don't see that happening anytime soon. Basically the hotel is a place to crash for the 6-8 hours a day where you're not at a park, so the odds of you actively hanging around the resort are pretty small. If you can afford the extra, you probably won't regret it, but I always worry that I will.

Also, yea, definitely book food reservations as far out as you can. Maybe not for every meal, but just to make sure you can go to the big places without stress. Check menus though in case your kids aren't down with a wide variety of foods.

The biggest thing is what Braksgirl said, take a lot of breaks and make sure they have water. Our kids live on fruit snacks and goldfish so we packed boxes of each and took a few sealed baggies to the park every day. Also, stuff like Pirates of the Caribbean or the Great Movie Ride are like our go to "let's chill out for 15 minutes" rides too since they're never super packed.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Malt posted:

Magic Bands arrived today. It might be because I'm a big guy, but I have to wear it sideways to be comfortable.
All of my party had the same thing including my friend who has tiny girl wrists, it's just the shape of the band. Cool tech but bad design.

They are fine if you wear them sideways but it just seems kind of silly.

snickles
Mar 27, 2010

WhiteHowler posted:

It's almost impossible to make a resort recommendation without asking "what's your price range?".

If you're going for one of the value options (which are just fine, it's not like staying at a Motel 6 or anything), I'd stay away from the All-Star resorts just because of the terrible shared bus service. They're also the oldest value hotels on-property. The new Art of Animation resort looks really nice -- especially if you're going with kids -- but I haven't read much about its transportation options.

If you want to stay at a mid-level resort, my favorite is Coronado Springs. Good theming, nice rooms, a great pool area, and one of the best counter service dining options at any of the resorts. I haven't stayed at Port Orleans French Quarter, but I had no real problems with any of the other three.

I've never stayed at one of the deluxe resorts (we're looking at the Boardwalk area later this year), so I can't help you there. They're real expensive though, and if it's just you and a small child, I don't think you'd miss much by staying someplace more affordable.
You can only book restaurant reservations up to 180 days out, so you still have some time. I don't know how often discounts appear this far in advance -- maybe Braksgirl can give a better idea.

My price range is pretty flexible. For our honeymoon we got lucky and got a free upgrade to the grand Floridian. I don't think I'd ever pay what they actually charge for that resort, particularly with a small child in tow. I'd imagine we're looking at a mid-level. Although now that I think about it, staying on the monorail path was amazing as far as getting to the parks go. That really limits your resort choices though. I didn't know about the 180 day limit; thank you!

Edit: also thank you to everyone else that posted information. It makes it much easier to kind of have an idea of what to expect.

snickles fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jan 7, 2015

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Have you considered Wilderness Lodge? It's not on the monorail path but you can take one of the ferry boats to the resort so not like having to climb on a bus for a fifteen minute ride across property?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Waiting for buses is one of my least favorite things about Disney World. Last time I was there for a week I bet we waited a total of four or five hours for various buses.

It's the main reason I'm considering the Boardwalk area hotels - walk to Epcot, monorail (via Epcot) to MK, or ferry to Hollywood Studios.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

demonR6 posted:

I meant to post a pic of this but forgot.

Haunted Mansion collectors magic band.

How can I get one of these and what will it cost to ship to me in VA.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

demonR6 posted:

Have you considered Wilderness Lodge? It's not on the monorail path but you can take one of the ferry boats to the resort so not like having to climb on a bus for a fifteen minute ride across property?

Or Fort Wilderness Campgrounds, they have the efficiency "cabins" which have a kitchen so you can save money by cooking your own meals. The kid's bedroom is at the back of the cabin so you can stay up after the kids go to bed. It is like a rustic suite. There are plenty of activities on site as well like playgrounds and a petting zoo.

I wrote up more detail in this post, http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3544789&userid=77012#post419628778

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

The bad thing about the cabins is that they are FAR from anything. If you're driving, that's not a problem, but if you're flying in and won't have a rental car it can be a pretty good hike from the back of the campground to the ferry dock. Some people even rent golf carts.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Braksgirl posted:

The bad thing about the cabins is that they are FAR from anything. If you're driving, that's not a problem, but if you're flying in and won't have a rental car it can be a pretty good hike from the back of the campground to the ferry dock. Some people even rent golf carts.

Yeah, forgot that part. We didn't rent a car but we rented a cart. Golf cart rentals at the resort are essential unless you like walking / biking around the grounds or use the inner bus service. Trucking around in the golf cart was part of the fun but it adds to the overall cost of the trip.

For stocking the kitchen, one year the car service we took from the airport included a stop at the grocery store. The other trip we used a grocery delivery service, like Fresh Direct.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Skeezy posted:

How can I get one of these and what will it cost to ship to me in VA.

They cost $25 bucks plus tax at the park.. (really it's $24.99 but w/e) Limited edition bands we've found out cost about double of the basic colored bands also they are all about availability. During SW weekends they had an LE Yoda and Darth Vader band we saw. Stupid me did not pick it up when I had it in hand, I went back a week later and they were gone forever. The HM band is a LE and after asking no one seems to know when they will be taken off the shelves, it may be when they run out or who knows.

Lucky you though I am going to MK this afternoon hunting for the Stitch MB for a fellow Goon so I can stop by the shop outside Mansion. If they have it I can pick one up and mail it out to you USPS which won't cost much depending on what method. Priority is a 2-3 day unless you live out in a cabin off a dirt road so people cannot find you.

PM me and we can take this offline, we are heading out around 5-6 after wife gets home.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
And just as an FYI, the Limited Edition MagicBands must be linked at time of purchase to a RF enabled media. You won't be able to link it later, like one of the normal open edition MagicBands. So in that case it would be linked to whatever you linked it to forever.

I had a big interview with VIP tours yesterday. With any luck, I'll be back in the parks in the next few months.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
They have to be activated meaning they were purchased but not linked then and there. I gave my nephew a specialty band for Christmas and he linked it to his MyMagic account afterwards. Unless things changed of course in the last two weeks which is not out of the realm of possibility since they can do whatever they want.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
They well could have. The important thing is to not link it. It's basically either impossible or a massive pain in the rear end to switch things once it has been linked to someone.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I don't have Disney World plans in the near future and moved away from Florida 2 years ago. I just really like Haunted Mansion stuff.

Is there an Epcot themed one? Maybe something like Horizons themed or something?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Cais posted:

They well could have. The important thing is to not link it. It's basically either impossible or a massive pain in the rear end to switch things once it has been linked to someone.

They may have had that policy in place but just thinking about the lost revenue from not being able to buy and gift them. Once you link it to an account, the band is done for.

Skeezy posted:

I don't have Disney World plans in the near future and moved away from Florida 2 years ago. I just really like Haunted Mansion stuff.

Is there an Epcot themed one? Maybe something like Horizons themed or something?

Hey the offer stands so whenever you get that urge.

I have not seen an Epcot themed band at all other than the Food & Wine festival. Things change and whenever we visit one of the parks we hit the main areas to see if there is something new. Word has it there are new Magic Bandits for HM so checking those when we hit the park later.

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jan 7, 2015

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

So I just got waitlisted for the ICP. Feels bad, especially since most people were applying for character performer or merch whilst I'm that goon who knows all the facts about the attractions, has had a previous theme park job and just wants to work on Tower of Terror for a few months. joined the Facebook group knowing that I would find it grating and oh boy it's another of crazy.

On the plus side I was in LA over Christmas and had a day at Disneyland. The new effects on Indy are really cool.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Wait, there was a food and wine fest themed magic band? If they bring a variation of it back this year, I'll probably be grabbing one of those

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
It was part of the party for the sense package if I remember right, the expensive food party.

Which I have heard is totally worth it. Maybe someday.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
You are correct on the sense package Cais.. it includes the band and friends of mine went last year, they said do it.

I picked up an LE magic band for another goon this evening and at the purchase the first question is "Would you like to link this band now to an account? No, great then let me activate the band so it shows it was purchased and it can be linked to any account later." woot!

Also I was finally able to run into BBS and meet him. I was going to play a prank by walking up asking for help.

Excuse me sir, I am trying to find this item can you help me?

and show him this on my mobile phone...

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
Is WDW crowded for MLK Day weekend?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Mostly locals and day drives.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

demonR6 posted:

Mostly locals and day drives.

Weird. Was wondering because we were trying to get a room for our anniversary and absolutely every DVC room is filled that weekend.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
It will still be crowded but not the epic you would get on one of the longer holidays where people typically take a week off. DVC could have rooms down for annual maintenance or not sure if they do rentals or exchanges but that could be an issue. Is DVC RCI or II for exchange?

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

They're doing some refurbs at a lot of places, like Beach Club and Yacht Club.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
If you think getting stuff pre-vacation taxes your resolve to not be at WDW RIGHT AT THIS VERY MOMENT, try living my life. 10+ years on and they are still occasionally sending me employment stuff. And each time that poo poo slyly whispers to me "your job in oil-company IT is all right but you should COME BACK TO FLORIDA AND WORK AT WDW. DOOOOOO IIIIIIIT human being (Disney is very gay friendly)" and then part of my brain says "YES! MORE DISNEY CHEMICALS PLZ!" and another part of my brain says, "Ew, Florida again?" and then there's this huge fight and I pass out, only to awaken later surrounded with my disney memorabilia and dressed only in my costume work shirt which I stole when I left the job. True story.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Wow. That's interesting. Hey I bet your weird voices would love to know they have a brand new apartment complex built at right outside the MK CM gate and new homes are sprouting up all over so the housing situation is really good here now.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

demonR6 posted:

You are correct on the sense package Cais.. it includes the band and friends of mine went last year, they said do it.

I picked up an LE magic band for another goon this evening and at the purchase the first question is "Would you like to link this band now to an account? No, great then let me activate the band so it shows it was purchased and it can be linked to any account later." woot!

Also I was finally able to run into BBS and meet him. I was going to play a prank by walking up asking for help.

Excuse me sir, I am trying to find this item can you help me?

and show him this on my mobile phone...

I am not sure how I would have reacted to that, to be honest.

Also, nice to meet you!

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
It was that or the SA grenade.. my wife nixed that idea immediately telling me "Right, show a cast member who has no idea who the gently caress you are an image of a grenade on your mobile phone is a great idea. I'll head out now to the county jail to meet you." so both ideas ended rather abruptly.

PM me when you get a chance.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
So how bout that whole measles thing at Disneyland?

Although that is MUCH more a "gently caress anti-vaxxers" thing than a "Disney doesn't sanitize enough" thing

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
As much as I like to rag on Disney for some things.. this stands out the most about that story.

Measles is very infectious because it spreads through the air, so you can catch it by, say, standing in line next to someone who is infected.

I.E. licking the handrail, although ill advised anywhere is likely not how these individuals caught it. We bring our own small sanitizing bottles you can easily attach to your belt with us whenever we go to the parks. Especially here in Orlando where it is a veritable cesspool of viruses, bacterias and who knows what else coming from tourists out of the country and within.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Nathilus posted:

If you think getting stuff pre-vacation taxes your resolve to not be at WDW RIGHT AT THIS VERY MOMENT, try living my life. 10+ years on and they are still occasionally sending me employment stuff. And each time that poo poo slyly whispers to me "your job in oil-company IT is all right but you should COME BACK TO FLORIDA AND WORK AT WDW. DOOOOOO IIIIIIIT human being (Disney is very gay friendly)" and then part of my brain says "YES! MORE DISNEY CHEMICALS PLZ!" and another part of my brain says, "Ew, Florida again?" and then there's this huge fight and I pass out, only to awaken later surrounded with my disney memorabilia and dressed only in my costume work shirt which I stole when I left the job. True story.

It's miserably hot in this horrible stage about 97% of the year. You made the right call getting out. Disney is about the only good thing about this garbage state.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Low cost of living. No state taxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_worm_
Mar 11, 2001
Three weeks till the family and I check in at PO: French Quarter and the temp here just went over 32 for the first time in three days. The cold makes us want to leave now.