Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

I hate to break it to everyone but touch controls are here to stay. I despise them but the average person does not consider the learning curve that eventually goes vertical because you are limited by a screen that has no tactile feedback. Nor do they consider the huge cost involved in troubleshooting and replacing that middle stack when something goes wrong, which also presumably disables other systems making the car undriveable. Raise your hand if the mechanical HVAC controls in your pre-2005 car have left you stranded on the road.

As an IT guy I have an incredibly hard time convincing people that all our computers, software, phones, and networks barely loving work at all and the whole system is held together by sweat and bailing wire. Now I see that same technology being shoehorned into cars and it makes me shake my head. I guess it is just a natural progression as the driving experience becomes so miserable that we are begging for self driving cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Pham Nuwen posted:

On our recent drives from California to Washington and back, I had to continually restrain myself from shouting "STAY OFF THE GODDAMN SHOULDER" and "QUIT PUMPING THE loving GAS PEDAL" whenever my wife would drive. In the interests of marital harmony I kept my mouth shut except for a few times when she was blatantly riding up someone's rear end.

It's not just me noticing the gas pedal thing, right? Sometimes I'll be riding with someone and realize they seem to be maintaining speed by hitting the gas for a second or two, then letting off completely, then pressing the pedal again, then letting off, ad infinitum while your head and torso roll back and forward like a loving bobblehead doll. It's like they run it up a few mph over, then coast down, then do it all over again instead of finding a pedal position that holds the right speed (or just using loving cruise control)

Not just you. My brother-in-law and one particular friend do this, and swear that they're not when I point it out. Drives my inner ear nuts. I can't even bury my head in my phone, because reading while in a car also invokes nausea. I hate being a passenger. Fortunately, my wife generally knows how to drive, with a slight tendency to tailgate.

edit: gently caress touch controls, but self-driving cars can't come soon enough. I don't want one, but I want all those fuckwads with driving appliances who can't drive to have one (then I can bully my way into the lane, because all self-driving cars will drive defensively. Not really, I won't do that, but it is true.)

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 6, 2015

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The whole touch screen thing is compounded by the ridiculous ability to fiddle with poo poo. You can now set your climate control to the decimal point. Have infinite number of wiper speeds. Adjust your audio levels to an extent rivalled by a college radio studio. Set mood lighting to the interior. All this poo poo.

I've come to admire my Mk1 VW's ridiculous simplicity through this. You have 3 wiper settings, three fan settings. no fogs or DRLs so you can chose between headlights, highbeams or lights off. The result is instead of the constant fiddling with controls you just live with the minor inconvenience of having it a little bit to hot/cold or the wipers not being the perfect speed and just focus on driving.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

Cakefool posted:

I can control any part of my car by touch currently without taking my eyes of the road, no-one can do that with a touchscreen.

I got into an e-pissing contest with a dude on reddit trying to tell him just that. He was defending some guy who took a picture with his cellphone while driving. "Some men you just can't reach."

So reddit counts as terrible car stuff, right? Or just plain terrible?

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Darchangel posted:

edit: gently caress touch controls, but self-driving cars can't come soon enough. I don't want one, but I want all those fuckwads with driving appliances who can't drive to have one (then I can bully my way into the lane, because all self-driving cars will drive defensively. Not really, I won't do that, but it is true.)

I just imagined a world full of self-driving cars which watch my blinkers and let me in when I signal. They'd never cut me off, drive indecisively, or tailgate. They'd know how to zipper merge.

It sounded great until I realized they'd all be driving the speed limit and I'd have to conform with them or be slapped down.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

1500quidporsche posted:

I've come to admire my Mk1 VW's ridiculous simplicity through this. You have 3 wiper settings, three fan settings. no fogs or DRLs so you can chose between headlights, highbeams or lights off. The result is instead of the constant fiddling with controls you just live with the minor inconvenience of having it a little bit to hot/cold or the wipers not being the perfect speed and just focus on driving.

quote:

CES 2015: VOLKSWAGEN INTRODUCES ADVANCED GESTURE CONTROL AND NETWORKING FOR A NEW AGE OF MOBILITY

Jan 5, 2015

Golf R Touch: cockpit concept solves future challenges and offers intuitive operation of high-tech infotainment

Connected Golf: perfect compatibility with MirrorLink™, Apple® and Google®

Intelligent Charge: e-Golf automatically docks above inductive charging plate

Trained Parking: future Park Assist drives into garage semi-automatically

Digital Key turns the smartphone into a car key.

Media Control integrates tablets and smart watches into the Volkswagen infotainment system.

Wolfsburg / Las Vegas, January 2015. Volkswagen, Europe's most successful car brand, has been instrumental in driving the development of more connected, more intelligent vehicles. That is because the car-which operates intuitively, is networked systematically, reacts intelligently and offers significantly greater convenience. This gives new innovative impetus to mobile life, making it more communicative, safer and interesting. This is why Volkswagen is demonstrating an entire fleet of vehicles at the 2015 Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas to show just how much the car and computer are already intertwined today and will continue to grow together in the future. The main focus at the show is on four aspects: computer-controlled drive systems; app and smartphone integration; intuitive vehicle operation; and autonomous and semi-autonomous driving.

"The two inventions of the century, the car and the computer, are gradually coming closer together. We need to design future mobility to be even more intelligent and even more networked," said Prof. Dr. Martin Winterkorn, CEO of Volkswagen AG.

Computer-controlled drive systems

Electric mobility is coming into its own. Full electric and hybrid versions of high-volume models have now arrived, and Volkswagen is setting the pace with best-sellers like the Golf. The e-Golf and Golf GTE are the protagonists of a new mobility. These cars would be inconceivable without on-board electronics with computers that control such functions as battery charging and, in the case of the hybrid models, switching between the different drive sources. At CES, Volkswagen is showing, among other things, how electric cars will be able to automatically dock to inductive charging stations and output signals that indicate the battery state-of-charge using the vehicle's exterior lights.

App and smartphone integration

It has now been eight years, to the month, since Apple® introduced its first generation iPhone in San Francisco. Smartphones have irreversibly changed our everyday lives, from the ways we communicate to how we access information. It has long been normal practice to have phones automatically connected to a car's hands-free telephone system via Bluetooth and to have smartphones stream media libraries into car infotainment and sound systems. But now, Volkswagen is taking a significant step forward.

Later this year, VW will introduce the second generation "modular infotainment platform" (MIB II) in the United States. Along with the new infotainment system, MirrorLink™ will also be made available for the first time, integrating the apps and operating layout of numerous smartphones (including Samsung, HTC, LG and Sony) into cars. When MirrorLink™ is introduced, two other interfaces will also be launched under the App-Connect label: CarPlay™ (Apple®) and Android Auto™ (Google®). Simultaneously, VW will also launch CarPlay™ and Android Auto™ in the European market.

Intuitive operation

In the future, the car will not only merge with the mobile world, it will also be more intuitive for people to operate. Today, and in the future, the car will adapt by recognizing their occupants' movements-via controls based on proximity sensors and gesture recognition. Today, the latest infotainment systems by Volkswagen already detect the approach of a hand with proximity sensors. In the next revolutionary step-which Volkswagen is showing with the Golf R Touch concept vehicle at CES-the infotainment unit will use cameras to not only detect hand gestures, but understand but assign meaning to them. Gesture control will make it possible to control displays and functionality without having to use a touchscreen. This technology adds comfort and convenience to human-vehicle interaction by reducing driver distractions while operating controls, and further underscores the synchronized relationship between the car and the computer.

Autonomous and semi-autonomous driving

Clearly, cars of the future will need to be able to drive autonomously if necessary, a change that will be introduced step by step. Even today, Park Assist by Volkswagen enables semi-automated entry and exit from parking spaces. The car executes the entire steering process for the parking maneuver independently. At CES, Volkswagen is now showing another evolutionary stage of Park Assist: Trained Parking. Here, the car scans a frequently driven path to a parking space via camera, and from that point on it executes the path semi-automatically by computer control. In another evolutionary stage, it will be possible to have the car parked by the driver remotely, using a smartphone to control the car.

Volkswagen highlights at CES

Golf R Touch

The Volkswagen Golf R Touch concept vehicle, displayed for the first time, features an infotainment system that incorporates gesture control as the next step in the area of intuitive control. All it takes is a hand movement in the space in front of the Golf's infotainment display to make human and machine interact as one. Volkswagen is thereby extending touchscreen operation into a third dimension.

The development team for the Golf R Touch pursued the goal of producing an interior and infotainment concept that would fulfill seemingly contradictory requirements. Despite the continually growing complexity and number of functions, this concept was intended to reduce driver distractions while attaining maximum personalization and intuitive operation in the car. The vehicle was created in which nearly all controls are implemented via touchscreens and sensor switches. Therefore, the Golf R Touch is equipped with three displays: the 12.8-inch high-resolution infotainment system touchscreen; a Control Center (8.0-inch with touch feedback) arranged beneath it to control vehicle, climate control and media functions; and an Active Information Display (digitalized instruments, 12.3-inch). The layouts of the central touchscreen and the Active Info Display can be customized rapidly, just as on a smartphone or tablet today. The same is true of the entire color staging in the interior.

Connected Golf

At CES, Volkswagen is also showing the maximum networking potential of the car in the form of the Connected Golf. This e-Golf, which will be equipped with the latest generation (MIB II) infotainment system, will incorporate an enormous range of apps, smartphones and tablets via its progressive interface management system. With online-based functionality, its various features and applications will be organized into several clusters. All of these clusters are implemented in the Connected Golf.

A look at today's App-Connect is particularly exciting. As noted above, Volkswagen is one of the first carmakers to integrate the vast majority of smartphone operating systems in models like the Golf, based on App-Connect. The three underlying software interfaces of App-Connect are Mirror Link™, Android Auto™ (Google®) and CarPlay™ (Apple®). Via these interfaces, the driver and passengers in the car are able to use the many different smartphone apps over the infotainment system.

Beyond the applications of Volkswagen Car-Net, the Connected Golf is equipped with many other innovations. For example, Media Control enables the integration of tablets and smart watches into the infotainment system and uses a special app that creates a new-age rear seat entertainment system. Regular Routes is the name of a function by which the navigation system automatically detects traffic disruptions on the daily commute to work, for instance, and autonomously suggests an available alternative route. Parking Guide is another ingenious navigation feature. It embodies a technology that finds parking sites that have a high probability of available parking spaces.

e-Golf Intelligent Charge

Intelligent Charge in the e-Golf illustrates how electric cars will be made more convenient in the future. Over the mid-term it will be possible to offer inductive charging as an alternative to cable-based charging. In the future, it will be possible to see in just seconds whether the battery is still being charged or whether it is already fully charged by looking at the vehicle's exterior lights. The e-Station Guide will not only assist electric car drivers in finding a desired charging station, but they will also be informed about their location and charging equipment as well as payment options. As an additional function, the Digital Key lets third parties use a smartphone or smart watch to temporarily and safely gain access to the vehicle and to start or stop the engine.

e-Golf Perfect Parking

Park Assist from Volkswagen automatically guides the car into parallel and perpendicular parking spaces (in reverse) and can also automatically exit parallel parking spaces. When parking into or exiting a space, the system assists the driver by autonomously making optimal movements of the steering wheel to stay on the ideal line. At CES, Volkswagen is introducing an advanced evolutionary stage of Park Assist known as Trained Parking. Here the car (an e-Golf) uses a camera, mounted in the base of the rear-view mirror, to scan a frequently used path into a parking space, and from then on the parking process is executed semi-automatically and precisely by sensors and computer. In the future, it will also be possible to semi-automatically park above an inductive charging station. In another evolutionary stage, the driver would no longer need to stay in the car during parking-he or she would just monitor the operation with a smartphone as a "remote control" device.

About Volkswagen of America, Inc.

Founded in 1955, Volkswagen of America, Inc., an operating unit of Volkswagen Group of America, Inc. (VWoA) is headquartered in Herndon, Virginia. It is a subsidiary of Volkswagen AG, headquartered in Wolfsburg, Germany. VWoA's operations in the United States include research and development, parts and vehicle processing, parts distribution centers, sales, marketing and service offices, financial service centers, and its state-of-the-art manufacturing facility in Chattanooga, Tennessee. The Volkswagen Group is one of the world's largest producers of passenger cars and Europe's largest automaker. VWoA sells the Beetle, Beetle Convertible, CC, Eos, e-Golf, Golf, Golf GTI, Jetta, Jetta SportWagen, Passat, Tiguan, and Touareg vehicles through approximately 649 independent U.S. dealers.

Here's a cool one.
Ford is recalling the MKC and replacing the entire shift mechanism because people keep turning the car off being found on road dead while trying to shift into drive or operate the radio.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2015/01/lincoln-mkc-recalled-for-starter-button-placement/index.htm
http://www.autonews.com/article/20141231/RETAIL05/141239986/lincoln-mkc-recalled-to-move-push-button-start-from-near-touchscreen

quote:

Two complaints about the location of the MKC’s push-button starter are posted on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s website. Several weeks ago, a driver said the vehicle was going about 5 mph when the front seat passenger shut off the engine by accidentally hitting the ignition button while trying to change the radio station on the touchscreen.

In September, a driver reported experiencing an inadvertent shutoff twice when trying to use the MKC’s touchscreen.

“The vehicle started to coast both times and I had to think fast to get the vehicle back into drive,” the complainant wrote. “Fortunately, I was not traveling at highway speeds and no one was close enough to hit me. The reason for this is that when using the screen on the dashboard, it’s normal to use your thumb to balance your hand, while your index finder depresses options on the screen. The thumb naturally goes to where the gear shift buttons are. … If this happens while I am driving on a highway, not only would I likely get hit from behind, but I would be completely vulnerable without airbags.”

I mean what are they going to replace it with that will solve that problem?

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jan 6, 2015

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What the christ, Ford.

These companies supposedly employ multiple people who's sole job is to nitpick the driving ergonomics and design. What the gently caress are these shitheels doing, bullshitting at the water cooler for 8 hours then clocking out?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

xzzy posted:

What the christ, Ford.

These companies supposedly employ multiple people who's sole job is to nitpick the driving ergonomics and design. What the gently caress are these shitheels doing, bullshitting at the water cooler for 8 hours then clocking out?

I hope the fix is that they replace that panel with blank buttons and install a column shifter from a CVPI. :v:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Horse Divorce posted:

So reddit counts as terrible car stuff, right? Or just plain terrible?

A lot of people on SA like to rip on reddit. And that's fine.

But understand that it's an absolutely massive user base and there are subreddits, so not everyone/every place on there is a hivemind of white knighting liberal college freshmen.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

xzzy posted:

What the christ, Ford.

Apple solution: you're holding your car wrong.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

That push button is a pretty bad design, I agree. Perhaps they could replace it with some manner of lever, or knob. Maybe with a mechanical detent so that it doesn't get rotated out of position unless you're definitely trying to.

And maybe this knob could use some sort of keyed locking mechanism.

:v:

(seriously, leaving your keys in your pocket/purse/whatever is slightly neat, but other than that is there any benefit at all to a push button system?)

surebet
Jan 10, 2013

specialist

What's the possible use case for allowing a car to shut it's engine off while moving? I might be overlooking something, but jfc just lock out the push to start button if the speedometer reads anything other than 0.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

surebet posted:

What's the possible use case for allowing a car to shut it's engine off while moving? I might be overlooking something, but jfc just lock out the push to start button if the speedometer reads anything other than 0.

During the unintended acceleration debacle it turned out that Toyotas made you hold down the engine start button in order to turn the car off when it's in gear, like a soft-power ATX power supply does.

Since panicky retards doing 180mph with a stuck floormat on their gas pedal can't hold the button down (resulting in at least one documented death) or shift into neutral, I imagine the internal order was "one press, car killed."

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

surebet posted:

Unintended Accleration™

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Fucknag posted:

That push button is a pretty bad design, I agree. Perhaps they could replace it with some manner of lever, or knob. Maybe with a mechanical detent so that it doesn't get rotated out of position unless you're definitely trying to.

And maybe this knob could use some sort of keyed locking mechanism.

:v:

(seriously, leaving your keys in your pocket/purse/whatever is slightly neat, but other than that is there any benefit at all to a push button system?)

If Micheal Shumacher can start his car with a push button then I must too. I'm just going to ignore the external starters found on F1 cars.

If a Ferrari starts with a push button then if I can make my econobox start with a push button people will think it's like a Ferrari.

(I'm blaming Ferrari, but it might be the S2000 that's to blame, which would be sad)

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Jonny Nox posted:

If Micheal Shumacher can start his car with a push button then I must too. I'm just going to ignore the external starters found on F1 cars.

If a Ferrari starts with a push button then if I can make my econobox start with a push button people will think it's like a Ferrari.

(I'm blaming Ferrari, but it might be the S2000 that's to blame, which would be sad)

The first car I can remember having push button start, that wasn't a race car or one-off, was the original Viper.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Fucknag posted:

Likely 2000% less lost keys because housewives don't need to dig through their shipping-container sized purse to find them, then drop them.
And less lockouts.
And I'm not sure, but I'd anticipate keyless is slightly more secure (I could be blowing smoke out my rear end on this though).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Powershift posted:

Unintended Accleration™

Wife and I each got a check for $29 from Toyota last week because of this, even though we have never driven any Toyota that was susceptible to the problem. I guess they just cut a check for every registered Toyota owner or something.

We went out to eat and spent it all.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Here's a vancouver.flv

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3gRjvsiySw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fFNHZ5PvZI

Jeep builds an offroad course(with a Ford truck) that could easily be traversed by a Miata, people who get to turn the knob to "offroad" seem pretty impressed.

So thanks for all those provincial film industry/Canadian film content tax credits I guess!

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

xzzy posted:

Wife and I each got a check for $29 from Toyota last week because of this, even though we have never driven any Toyota that was susceptible to the problem. I guess they just cut a check for every registered Toyota owner or something.

We went out to eat and spent it all.

Same here. Made for a good day with chinese takeout.

Unintended acceleration of bowels.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Siochain posted:

Likely 2000% less lost keys because housewives don't need to dig through their shipping-container sized purse to find them, then drop them.

Yeah but as soon as they dig them out of their purse to find them they put them in the ignition so they know exactly where the keys are, and then when they stop the car they pull them out of the ignition and put them back in their purse. I have no idea how one could lose their keys in such a situation.

Siochain posted:

And less lockouts.

I'll give you this one.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Gorson posted:

The first car I can remember having push button start, that wasn't a race car or one-off, was the original Viper.
The thing I find hilarious is that a separate button for the starter is seriously old-school, and the adoption of one integrated into the ignition switch was an advance. I bet you can find an article in an old magazine somewhere about how to fit a "modern" ignition/starter keyswitch into a car.

I can see the point of a starter button if I think I'm going to need to stop and restart the engine repeatedly, or if there's no ignition key in the first place because it's keyless, but to take a car which has a sprung starter position on the ignition key and retrofitting a separate button is just silly. It's like people replacing factory HIDs with acetylene lamps or some poo poo.

On keyless systems, the type BMW use annoys me. Ooh, great, there's no key, just a fob... Which I have to put into a specific slot on the dash and click in before I can push the starter button? Either make it pure keyless, or use that as the starter button, for gently caress's sake!

surebet
Jan 10, 2013

specialist

Seat Safety Switch posted:

During the unintended acceleration debacle it turned out that Toyotas made you hold down the engine start button in order to turn the car off when it's in gear, like a soft-power ATX power supply does.

Since panicky retards doing 180mph with a stuck floormat on their gas pedal can't hold the button down (resulting in at least one documented death) or shift into neutral, I imagine the internal order was "one press, car killed."

Something something steering and brakes being optional in a crash.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Brakes don't work when you've cooked them by lightly "sort of" applying them to try and regulate your speed for the past twenty miles, rather than just standing on the pedal full force. People don't know how cars work, don't know how to drive, and aren't interested in learning about either.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

InitialDave posted:

The thing I find hilarious is that a separate button for the starter is seriously old-school, and the adoption of one integrated into the ignition switch was an advance. I bet you can find an article in an old magazine somewhere about how to fit a "modern" ignition/starter keyswitch into a car.

I can see the point of a starter button if I think I'm going to need to stop and restart the engine repeatedly, or if there's no ignition key in the first place because it's keyless, but to take a car which has a sprung starter position on the ignition key and retrofitting a separate button is just silly. It's like people replacing factory HIDs with acetylene lamps or some poo poo.

On keyless systems, the type BMW use annoys me. Ooh, great, there's no key, just a fob... Which I have to put into a specific slot on the dash and click in before I can push the starter button? Either make it pure keyless, or use that as the starter button, for gently caress's sake!

I think certain options gave you the ability to just have it on your person to unlock the doors as well as start the car. That's how it works on my friends E60 M5.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

InitialDave posted:

The package you are looking for is called 'comfort access', which lets you just have it near the car.

Figuring out how to pull the actual 'key' out of the fob to open the glove box was a neat trick. Or even realizing there was a real key in there.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

GutBomb posted:

Yeah but as soon as they dig them out of their purse to find them they put them in the ignition so they know exactly where the keys are, and then when they stop the car they pull them out of the ignition and put them back in their purse. I have no idea how one could lose their keys in such a situation.

Clearly you've never dated anyone with a big purse. I could read War and Peace cover to cover with the amount of time I've spent standing next to a car door waiting for girlfriends to find their goddamn keys in their purses.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Spiffness posted:

The package you are looking for is called 'comfort access', which lets you just have it near the car.
Ah ok. Not my cars, but after driving two of them and finding the same thing, I figured it was just how they were.

Spiffness posted:

Figuring out how to pull the actual 'key' out of the fob to open the glove box was a neat trick. Or even realizing there was a real key in there.
Do all keyless fobs have a key hidden in them? I've encountered maybe four or five myself now, and I think they all did.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Yep, my CX-5's fob has a hidden key in it.

And I like the push button start on it too. I feel like a god drat futuristic spaceman starting my car with a button. :colbert:

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

BoostCreep posted:

Clearly you've never dated anyone with a big purse. I could read War and Peace cover to cover with the amount of time I've spent standing next to a car door waiting for girlfriends to find their goddamn keys in their purses.

This is why you are supposed to be driving.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Motronic posted:

But understand that it's an absolutely massive user base and there are subreddits, so not everyone/every place on there is a hivemind of white knighting liberal college freshmen.

True, most of Reddit is full of pedophiles and mysogynistic MRAs. :v:

BoostCreep posted:

Oh god, this. My wife insists on using cross-body messenger style bags for her purse and then pitches a fit every time it takes her 2 minutes of digging to find her keys/phone/wallet/whatever.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
My wife at least has the good sense to have a pocket in her purse dedicated to keys, and she uses it. Stop dating/marrying people who can't be arsed to organize their poo poo. :smug:

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

InitialDave posted:

Do all keyless fobs have a key hidden in them? I've encountered maybe four or five myself now, and I think they all did.
I think this one from Renault possibly doesn't:

But I honestly can't say I've tried very hard.

EDIT: Ah, poo poo:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2015-chevrolet-silverado-1500-4x4-62l-v-8-8-speed-test-reviews

So the new GM 8 speed trucks are out, and somehow they are slower than the old 6 speeds in every respect?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Flipperwaldt posted:

I think this one from Renault possibly doesn't:

But I honestly can't say I've tried very hard.
I have one, and it does.

Push the little grey button in with your fingernail and pull the keyring hole away from the rest of the body.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
If you want to see something loving terrible go look at what Porsche did with the key slot on the Cayenne.

edit:

It's not removable. It's just... there. Wtf.

Also, kinda funny. Sorry for my Instagram caption.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jan 7, 2015

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
You werent kidding about the Porsche. :stare:

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

I'm 36 and grew up with mid-to-late 70's cars, like our used RWD '78 Mazda 323 (before it got square and FWD). My mother used to do handbrake turns and punching the throttle until it died and drove a 70's Ford Consul 900 miles over the polar circle in winter in the early-to-mid 90s — and now she gets nervous if I go past 65 in a 70 (km/h) zone.

It's just a bi-product of getting old, sadly. I learned driving from you mom; relax! The kids love it when I do handbrake turns through 90 degree corners. At 10 mph in quiet residential streets of course, wouldn't want to actually endanger them. Like you did.

F4rt5 fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jan 7, 2015

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

ratbert90 posted:

You werent kidding about the Porsche. :stare:

The modern Jetta does that too, I think. Some goon was talking about it a few months ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The best bit is that people are highly unlikely to know how to do that without the manual. Which is probably locked in the car.