Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

I have been reading these threads since i believe 2012, check them fairly regularly and, while I am not the most prevalent, do engage in discussions a lot. I know pretty much every right-wing rear end in a top hat comic here by name, and would recognise their art style on-sight.

it just occurred to me that before this thread I had never read a political cartoon :negative:

Edit: And I live in the loving UK :negative: :negative: :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Calico Heart posted:

I have been reading these threads since i believe 2012, check them fairly regularly and, while I am not the most prevalent, do engage in discussions a lot. I know pretty much every right-wing rear end in a top hat comic here by name, and would recognise their art style on-sight.

it just occurred to me that before this thread I had never read a political cartoon :negative:

Edit: And I live in the loving UK :negative: :negative: :negative:

I started reading here since 2011 and I got into it because before that I thought I actually liked Political Cartoons and considered myself a fan of the medium :smithicide:

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Gravel Gravy posted:

I forgot that Clinton had sex with Ms. Lewinski when she was underage and/or raped her. Why did I forget about that? Seems like it'd be a pretty big part of the scandal.

Juanita Broaddrick, Paula Jones, and Kathleen Willey

I don't feel like getting into an argument over "he said she said" about events alleged to have happened 40 years ago, but there are definitely accusations of nonconsensual acts between Clinton and women.

Shugojin posted:

It's a really good example of power gap potentially screwing with what you would ordinarily call consent, but it pisses me off when the McCoys do it because I know they wouldn't give a poo poo about it if it was someone they liked.

e: Basically I think it is possibly worth talking about in certain situations but none of them are the ones it's brought up in.

Pretty much this. There are some some points very much worth considering about consent being strained by power discrepancies in sex just as there are in, say, labor disputes or college research experiments. But lets not pretend for a second that the McCoy's are making any points here in good faith, or that they wouldn't be leading the charge to destroy the women I listed above if they were accusing, say, W Bush, and there wa sthe chance it would damage Jeb's campaign.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Thanks for telling me outright Ramirez, because I couldn't see that due to your poo poo art.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The GOP are ghouls who harvest the flesh of the innocent as party favors. AGC

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Even Ramirez thinks this joke is over-explained.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62UzLgdb1GQ

I wonder how many people could guess that's supposed to be John Boehner if you showed it to them.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

colonel_korn posted:

I wonder how many people could guess that's supposed to be John Boehner if you showed it to them.

well it will be orange when it appears in color, that will give it away

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

colonel_korn posted:

It actually amongst the most accurate of his caricatures.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Steve Bell on the NHS – NHS England figures show just 83.1% of patients were treated within the four-hour target in week before Christmas" After William Blake.

Independent:

Times:

Germany Pegida protests: 'Islamisation' rallies denounced

Yesterday's Mail:

Prince Andrew sex claims 'emphatically denied' by palace

Mail:

Express:

Ed Miliband ridiculed for election pledge to have 'conversation' with FOUR MILLION voters

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

he didn't even attempt to do a miliband caricature. what a piece of poo poo.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

fool_of_sound posted:

No it won't.

It really will, everything starting from book 11 is fantastic.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Ramirez is such a terrible artist that even his characters have to explain what we're looking at.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
The GOP is rewarding Bohener with a hard-to-get body part that he desperately needs, a Monster Hunter cartoon.

Hey, I'd take it. Sacrums are really hard to get, much less a complete spine.:v:

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
With all these UK cartoons coming in, would anyone mind if I started posting old Giles bits?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

WarpedNaba posted:

With all these UK cartoons coming in, would anyone mind if I started posting old Giles bits?

I'd like it because i don't even know what they are

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Jerusalem posted:

Clinton: Because I engaged in consensual sexual intercourse with an adult?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juanita_Broaddrick

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paula_Jones

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kathleen_Willey

You're right, they wanted it. :smuggo:

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

WarpedNaba posted:

Do it. Post all the UK cartoons.

Fake edit:
As a San Antonio native, this is unironically how I feel.:getin:

I still remember conservatives throwing a shitfit over a Coca Cola ad that featured America the Beautiful sung in different languages. The greatest part of the rage over the ad is that is that it featured an actual American language, namely the Native American language Keres.:v:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Just gonna leave this here.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newt_Gingrich#Marriages_and_children

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Of course they have a Sandra Fluke in there. Of course they do.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Alrighty, it's Giles time.

Carl Giles was a pretty drat good editorial cartoonist between the 40s and the 70s, did pieces mainly for the Daily Express.

His cartoons were mostly like this, single panel with a caption and the understanding that his readers would have the spare time to go over all the action.

As far as political leanings went, he was usually on the left, but occasionally would hint towards centre-right on a few issues. Here we see him demonstrating situational irony - for those who can't see it, the fellow on the left is protesting the conditions of ambulance drivers and encouraging the strike.

This one showcases the regulars of his comics - the family. You'll see this lot in a great deal of his comics alongside Chalky the schoolteacher. Pay attention to that loving grandma.

Just look at that.

In any case, Giles was super popular as editorial cartoonists go. He even got a bronze statue of one of his characters made and placed in front of his old workstation in Ipswitch!

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

WarpedNaba posted:

Just look at that.

In any case, Giles was super popular as editorial cartoonists go. He even got a bronze statue of one of his characters made and placed in front of his old workstation in Ipswitch!

the bar has been raised gentlemen. We now need to have a bronze statue of pants donkey made. If that rear end in a top hat can raise 70k to make potato salad, surely we can do this

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Fried Chicken posted:

the bar has been raised gentlemen. We now need to have a bronze statue of pants donkey made. If that rear end in a top hat can raise 70k to make potato salad, surely we can do this

If swap.avi can be a successful goon project, surely making a statue can't be that hard.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

joeburz posted:

Now every DbD that has an actual punchline makes me wonder if it's an edit, thanks guys. Too bad Muir added in a needless comment after the punchline to explain it for morons.

I am a moron because I don't get it even after the comment. Is there some 2nd meaning to eggs benedict or is it just a shoe horned reference to that black brunch tweet?

DarklyDreaming posted:

I started reading here since 2011 and I got into it because before that I thought I actually liked Political Cartoons and considered myself a fan of the medium :smithicide:

Yeah this was me. "I like cartoons I like discussing politics.... what the gently caress is that worm?"

itskage fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jan 7, 2015

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

itskage posted:

I am a moron because I don't get it even after the comment. Is there some 2nd meaning to eggs benedict or is it just a shoe horned reference to that black brunch tweet?

Eggs benedict and Benedict Arnold, famous for not doing a very good job of betraying the American Revolution.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

itskage posted:

Eggs BENEDICT. Like Benedict Arnold. Get it? :smug: John Boehner is a traitor because he doesn't support dismantling the US Government. Muir is a Confederate.

(efb?)

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Hasn't Muir made this EXACT same joke like 5 times before?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

Hasn't Muir made this EXACT same joke like 5 times before?

You could say this about all of his jokes.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
March 30, 2014:

Literally not even waiting a year to make the same joke.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Eggs benny are delicious, too. You're cheating yourself out of some good breakfasts, Muir. :colbert:

e: VVVVV Wait, that first name has been used by more than one person in all of history???? :monocle: VVVV

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Eggs Benedict doesn't even get its name from Benedict Arnold.

I know right?

Darkman Fanpage fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jan 7, 2015

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Well that makes more sense. (Not really but whatever, it's Muir.)

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

Literally not even waiting a year to make the same joke.
The Gorrellian/Day School of Political Cartooning.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Fried Chicken posted:

well it will be orange when it appears in color, that will give it away

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Probably donated by Cheney, who no doubt has a metal robot spine now.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

It's a centipede with a ribbon on it.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

Probably donated by Cheney, who no doubt has a metal robot spine now.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Eggs Benedict doesn't even get its name from Benedict Arnold.

I know right?

There was an animator named Ed Benedict, who is probably best known for defining the look of the early Hanna-Barbera shows, designing the Flintstones characters and all that.

I wonder what his parents were thinking when they named him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voltroon
Apr 29, 2009

You can spend ten hours lovingly rendering a B12 bomber in exacting, crosshatched detail, but you can't even google "human spine" and make a reasonable approximation of human anatomy?? Christ, what an rear end in a top hat.

• Locked thread