Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

hihifellow posted:

I've been wearing a pair of Doc Marten's for over a year now and they're both nice looking and comfortable as hell, but I've got mutant club feet that don't fit in normal shoes so ymmv.
I used to work at a major manufacturing company that required steel toed shoes on the factory floor. I bought a dressier pair of dr martens back in 2009 and still to this day wear them to my job, even though I am now in finance. Technically the ones I bought are not safety shoes but they still provide significant protection, in addition to the steel toe they also have a thick rubber sole that had an impressive protection level against electrocution. I once had someone drop a 3u storage shelf on my foot while team lifting and I was uninjured by the experience. Since then have been a believer that all IT employees who may incidentally lift heavy items should properly protect themselves. A pair of steel toed shoes may not be quite as classy as what some others wear, but they still look pretty nice and serve an important function. They're pretty comfortable too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Aunt Beth posted:

There is some truth in the greybeards' statements, though IMMED is not an option to use lightly. Obviously the right way to shut down a 400 is to gracefully end jobs and subsystems, either with ENDSBS or with PWRDWNSYS parameters. But it is true, especially with print jobs (because gently caress printers) that the system will hang trying to end some job or subsystem and IMMED will just take care of that. Luckily there are so many failsafes built into IBMi that usually the worst I've seen happen from an unclean shutdown is a much slower than usual IPL as the system recovers journals and checks databases.

But that's the point of lpars! It doesn't affect production because it's basically a whole separate system. And also, I swear I'm not schilling my own company's products, but if you don't have your IBM hardware and software on IBM maintenance, you're missing out. If your company pays for it, IBM's software support will help you competently work through any configuration issues that you have a hard time figuring out.

Point taken on the other hand aren't LPARs analogous to VMs? If there is a difference, what is it?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

theDOWmustflow posted:

Sorry, I didn't mean to be snobbish about schools and degrees. I assumed that applying to grad schools was similar to applying to health professional schools, which heavily discriminate against online classes.

Okay, well to be fair, I have no idea of the requirements of CS masters programs, so you may be right and they may discriminate heavily against online courses. The best information about this is going to come from the people at the schools you're interested in, not the people on these forums. Talk to them and specifically bring up this concern, and make your decision from there.

To the rest of it, let me preface this with the fact that I've been in the industry for only about 5 years, so I'm hardly an expert on overall career trajectories in software. But I feel like you're getting a bunch of half-truths and misinformation.

quote:

For me, the primary issues are learning the material and getting the foot in the door. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't getting the foot in the door the harder part of the hiring equation, if the process is anything like consulting or finance recruitment? I've never heard of anyone making first year analyst for Deutsche or JPMorgan by shooting a resume to HR after graduating.

Just quickly trolling JPMorgan's site for 5 minutes I found no fewer than 10 internship postings for current students working towards a bachelor's (not master's). You'd probably want to start there if you're set on working for a fortune 500 company for some reason. But there are a berjillion entry-level developer positions open across the country at any given time, at all different sizes of company and types of industry. There's absolutely no reason to restrict yourself to such a small subset of companies. Have you even looked for software engineering/developer positions in cities you want to work, to see what people are looking for? I suggest you do.

theDOWmustflow posted:

I've been told that if you have a CS bachelor's degree, anything short of a a CS Phd is a waste of time for career advancement (a CS master's on top of a CS BS is seen as equivalent to an entry level CS employee with 1 or 2 extra years of experience), but the master's could be useful for people like me with no formal education in CS and no work experience.

This bugs the poo poo out of me. Like, yeah, at some point in your career a PhD is going to help you advance your career, but that's generally when you have 15+ years under your belt and are the lead software architect somewhere and that poo poo is getting too easy for you, and you want to design new encryption or compression algorithms or some poo poo. Deep, heavy computer-science, emphasis on the science. You don't need that kind of theoretical education for a long time (you may never, depending on what you like doing).

Also, I don't follow your logic. You have no formal education, so you want a master's so that you'll have an advantage. But by the time you qualify for a master's program, you'll have that formal education (in the form of a B.S. most likely)! The same formal education that all the other undergraduates have, more or less, and companies hire fresh undergraduates in hordes every single year, and I promise you very very few of them have any work experience.

theDOWmustflow posted:

There are a lot of reasons. :words:

Okay, so you're getting some hands-on time with a language, that's good. Keep doing that. Keep coding. Create little utilities that do cool or useful things, get a Github or Bitbucket account and post the code there. In the process you'll run into problems you don't know how to solve, that you'll have to research, and that research will reveal more concepts and techniques you'll probably want to learn about. It's important to realize that this is a never-ending thing, that you'll never feel like you know "enough" because there is just so much to know. Get comfortable with that feeling, and don't let it paralyze you.

You can find an entry-level programming job or internship with just that. It's not going to be the easiest thing in the world, since yeah, many jobs list a bachelor's as a minimum requirement, but not all of those are actual minimum requirements. They're just what the company prefers. But being able to code and having something to show off (those little utilities I mentioned last paragraph) is what really matters, and you might be a little appalled at how many fresh grads can't code their way out of a paper sack (to the point of not knowing how/where to apply a conditional or a loop in the most trivial of can-you-code-at-all gatekeeper questions).

If you feel you must get a formal education (and to be fair, a bachelor's will get you the widest range of opportunities to start), some kind of post-bac program might be your best bet. Oregon State for instance has several tracks of varying lengths that end in a B.S. in CS (again, cursory research on my part; talk to the people who know). That combined with a personal project or two that you can show off is plenty to get your foot in the door somewhere. After your first couple years actually working, your education is going to matter relatively little.

I said it earlier in this post but I feel like you're the type who needs to see it repeated. If you are a good programmer, you will never feel like you know enough. Everything you learn will reveal more poo poo you have to learn. Everything. You will always want to learn just one more concept, figure out how to solve the problem just a little bit more elegantly. There is too much and it changes too fast to get to a place where you feel comfortable with what you know. Just accept it, and don't let it stop you from applying for or changing jobs or otherwise let it paralyze you in your decisions.

At the end of the day, it's your call of course. But I'm telling you a Master's is a waste of time and money for breaking into this industry. You need basic ability to code and some basic knowledge of fundamentals, and you will learn specific poo poo on the job as you go. Try to get some more opinions of people who are actually working in the industry, and not just academics, too (in other words, don't just take my word for it).

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

My Systems Engineering grad program (which is effectively CS mixed with IT and electrical engineering) can be done entirely online (or not), and there doesn't seem to be any discrimination between online versus in person. Online courses will always require more work from the student, but that's to be expected. Otherwise, you end up covering the same material and graduating with the same degree.

MagnumOpus
Dec 7, 2006

One or two completed projects or demonstrated contribution to some projects on github is orders of magnitude more impressive to me than a bachelors or masters and I don't know a single other hiring manager who doesn't feel the same way. I suppose that piece of paper will probably get you hired, along with a couple dozen other poor saps, into some soulless post-grad sweatshop's QA pool if you like.

EDIT: The bachelor's I mean. I can't even fathom why someone would try to get a CS masters before working in the industry and if I saw one with no previous working experience I'd assume you're "not a culture fit".

MagnumOpus fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jan 7, 2015

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

MagnumOpus posted:

One or two completed projects or demonstrated contribution to some projects on github is orders of magnitude more impressive to me than a bachelors or masters and I don't know a single other hiring manager who doesn't feel the same way. I suppose that piece of paper will probably get you hired, along with a couple dozen other poor saps, into some soulless post-grad sweatshop's QA pool if you like.

EDIT: The bachelor's I mean. I can't even fathom why someone would try to get a CS masters before working in the industry and if I saw one with no previous working experience I'd assume you're "not a culture fit".

When I did interviews, a guy I interviewed had "grep -r $hisemail /usr/src/linux" on his resume. We hired him.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Koskun posted:

If you can, find a non-commercial shoe store in your area and talk to them.

What's a non-commercial shoe store exactly?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

jaegerx posted:

When I did interviews, a guy I interviewed had "grep -r $hisemail /usr/src/linux" on his resume. We hired him.

Ballsy AND impressive!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

stubblyhead posted:

What's a non-commercial shoe store exactly?

I assume he meant non-chain, like no Footlockers or nothin'.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

jaegerx posted:

I'm taking a Linux course at a community college later this month, could you explain this in terms that someone who has completed LLTHW ( https://nixsrv.com/llthw ) might understand?

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I'm taking a Linux course at a community college later this month, could you explain this in terms that someone who has completed LLTHW ( https://nixsrv.com/llthw ) might understand?
That command would search through every file in /usr/src/linux (the linux source code) for his email address. Effectively, he was claiming to have contributed significantly to the linux kernel source.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

adorai posted:

That command would search through every file in /usr/src/linux (the linux source code) for his email address. Effectively, he was claiming to have contributed significantly to the linux kernel source.

I guessed it was something like that. I was having a hard time finding information on /usr/src/linux
I didn't know that the source code would include comments that have email addresses in it.

that's an awesome thing to be able to claim.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I guessed it was something like that. I was having a hard time finding information on /usr/src/linux
I didn't know that the source code would include comments that have email addresses in it.

that's an awesome thing to be able to claim.

Copyright headers usually include the original author's email. Not much else, though there are bits where you may leave a comment explaining exactly what's happening and indicating that they should talk to you before they change it. The kernel has a very good test suite and very strong ownership over subsystems, though, so there's almost no reason to have some random email when you can ask the person responsible for that part of the kernel

Writing an original part of the kernel (filesystem, driver, scheduler, audit subsystem, whatever) works.

Otherwise, "git log --oneline | grep someemail" is probably a better way to find contributions

evol262 fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jan 7, 2015

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

If you haven't even gotten started yet on any formal education, my $0.02 is that you probably shouldn't wait to get into IT. Start working on your B.S. and get some bullshit help desk / desktop support role.

Che Delilas posted:

Also, I don't follow your logic. You have no formal education, so you want a master's so that you'll have an advantage. But by the time you qualify for a master's program, you'll have that formal education (in the form of a B.S. most likely)! The same formal education that all the other undergraduates have, more or less, and companies hire fresh undergraduates in hordes every single year, and I promise you very very few of them have any work experience.

You can find an entry-level programming job or internship with just that. It's not going to be the easiest thing in the world, since yeah, many jobs list a bachelor's as a minimum requirement, but not all of those are actual minimum requirements. They're just what the company prefers. But being able to code and having something to show off (those little utilities I mentioned last paragraph) is what really matters, and you might be a little appalled at how many fresh grads can't code their way out of a paper sack (to the point of not knowing how/where to apply a conditional or a loop in the most trivial of can-you-code-at-all gatekeeper questions).

On this note: The guy I work alongside is working on his Master's. I'm working on my B.S. He has no previous work experience. I have 4 years in IT. We're getting paid the same.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I do a lot of market research and focus groups for extra cash, and if anyone spends more than 50% of their time doing development/programming/scripting (or can fake talking about it enough) in an enterprise setting, I've got a market research company that wants to talk to you and pay $100 for 30 minutes of your time over a webcam and Skype/phone call.

I don't make any affiliate bucks out of it - they're trying to ascertain how to hire for a role that their client anticipates as a hybrid dev/sysadmin role.

PM or post your email and I'll pass along the survey guy's contact info.

This is legit, I've done market research for these guys before. The checks arrive on time and don't bounce.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

jaegerx posted:

I've interviewed and hired several people with @openbsd.org addresses. The interviews never touched on technical stuff ever, wasn't needed.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Tab8715 posted:

Point taken on the other hand aren't LPARs analogous to VMs? If there is a difference, what is it?
Analagous, yes. If your system is newer than POWER4 (which Oh God It Had Better Be) it is likely managed by an HMC and thus only capable of operating in LPAR mode.

When you power on a P machine, you bring it from a Power Off state to a Standby state, which boots the P hypervisor in the system's service processor. When the machine is at a standby state, then you can load an LPAR and IPL an OS image. The hypervisor in this case acts more as a traffic cop than it does a virtualization platform. When you build an LPAR on P, you assign amounts of CPU, memory, dasd, and I/O that can be used by the image. In this case, you are assigning entire physical resources. For example LPAR 1 can be assigned 1 CPU, 4GB of memory, disk in slot 1, and I/O cards in slots 1-2, and LPAR 2 can be assigned 3 CPU's, 60GB of memory, disks in slots 2-8, and I/O in slots 3-6. The resources assigned to LPAR 1 cannot be manipulated by LPAR 2 without reallocating them from 1 to 2 (and vice versa).

IBM's Virtual I/O Server (VIOS) is often used in a way an x86 virtualization platform is, where the VIOS instance is assigned all the hardware in the machine and then is used to create fully virtual system resources, which can then be assigned to other LPARs on the system, and allows for more granular control and assignment of resources.

So if you build a test LPAR on your POWER system, you will be allocating system resources completely independent of your production, so if you accidentally rm -rf, shutdown, etc your test, it has no way of damaging your production data and is a great little sandbox to go hog wild in learning AIX.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
Does anyone besides us use GroupWise?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We got rid of Novell 3-4 years ago. Hard to find support anymore.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

GreenNight posted:

We got rid of Novell 3-4 years ago. Hard to find support anymore.

I think we are switching to AD and Gmail next summer, GW doesn't really seem that bad. I just don't like how there is no good way to integrate the email/calendar with iPhone unless I want to pay out of pocket for the subscription to GW mail app.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I liked GW a lot when we ran it. We had an ActiveSync server for mobile phones, but it was nice that Exchange has that built in.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Aunt Beth posted:

Analagous, yes. If your system is newer than POWER4 (which Oh God It Had Better Be) it is likely managed by an HMC and thus only capable of operating in LPAR mode.

When you power on a P machine, you bring it from a Power Off state to a Standby state, which boots the P hypervisor in the system's service processor. When the machine is at a standby state, then you can load an LPAR and IPL an OS image. The hypervisor in this case acts more as a traffic cop than it does a virtualization platform. When you build an LPAR on P, you assign amounts of CPU, memory, dasd, and I/O that can be used by the image. In this case, you are assigning entire physical resources. For example LPAR 1 can be assigned 1 CPU, 4GB of memory, disk in slot 1, and I/O cards in slots 1-2, and LPAR 2 can be assigned 3 CPU's, 60GB of memory, disks in slots 2-8, and I/O in slots 3-6. The resources assigned to LPAR 1 cannot be manipulated by LPAR 2 without reallocating them from 1 to 2 (and vice versa).

IBM's Virtual I/O Server (VIOS) is often used in a way an x86 virtualization platform is, where the VIOS instance is assigned all the hardware in the machine and then is used to create fully virtual system resources, which can then be assigned to other LPARs on the system, and allows for more granular control and assignment of resources.

So if you build a test LPAR on your POWER system, you will be allocating system resources completely independent of your production, so if you accidentally rm -rf, shutdown, etc your test, it has no way of damaging your production data and is a great little sandbox to go hog wild in learning AIX.

Yea, it sounds like the only real difference in comparison to X86 virt is you have VIOS which actually owns the resources then divvies them out to actual OS lpars.

I've done a few thing with IVM, you don't even need a HMC but things get complicated.

Drunk Orc posted:

I know my local hospital did/does and it looks like it's still a big Novell product.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Drunk Orc posted:

We do and there are no plans to change. This year we'll be upgrading from 8.0.3 to the most recent version, and our guy responsible for it is still waffling on hosting it on Windows or Linux; Linux is supposed to be the more stable host but there are all of me and our VMWare guy who know Linux.

Crop_Top_9000
Jun 20, 2014
Anyone know anything about being a Server Build Technician?

I'm sick of being helpdesk and psyched that I finally have an interview for something else coming up, but don't really know what I'm getting in to. From what I've seen, it mostly seems like I'm just going to be racking hardware, but surely there as to be more to it than that, right?

Anything of note to ask about during the interview?

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
Groupwise Chat:

I migrated our company from GW to O365 last year. We were on 8.0.3 on NetWare and I started deploying some new post offices on SLES that were much more stable compared to our decade+ servers. Depending on what your Novell licensing looks like, check out Groupwise Mobility Server for phone access. We were using Notifylink, which is beyond a dumpster fire on the version/config we had, and I was tired of it and did a GMS server. You will have to have a post office on Linux for the GMS users, but it SOOOO much better than the other lovely solutions and it made my directors and VIP's very happy until the O365 migration.

SLES 11 and OES2 are pretty great though. I came into this job with zero Novell/Groupwise exp and am now the admin for it. We are rapidly moving to Windows for directory and file servers, but SLES has made my life a hell of a lot better in the meantime.

PM me if you wanna take this out of the thread.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Crop_Top_9000 posted:

Anyone know anything about being a Server Build Technician?

I'm sick of being helpdesk and psyched that I finally have an interview for something else coming up, but don't really know what I'm getting in to. From what I've seen, it mostly seems like I'm just going to be racking hardware, but surely there as to be more to it than that, right?

Anything of note to ask about during the interview?

If this is for a place that rhymes with snackspace then it's just that. There's no room to grow and everything you do is documented down to the letter. You're hired as a somewhat trained monkey and not allowed to deviate from procedures.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Honestly, highly choreographed server racking sounds like it would be a lot of fun. But if that's all you're doing, then not so much.

Crop_Top_9000
Jun 20, 2014

jaegerx posted:

If this is for a place that rhymes with snackspace then it's just that. There's no room to grow and everything you do is documented down to the letter. You're hired as a somewhat trained monkey and not allowed to deviate from procedures.

it's not for them, but for someone similar

Thanks for the heads-up, I'll look out for that

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
hey lads. Been a while since I posted here, but it's been about a year since I started CCNA classes, and I'm now working as a network engineer in San Francisco. :toot:

e) meant to post this in the cert thread, but oh well.

Loten
Dec 8, 2005

Let me know if this is the wrong thread for this question, but I was not sure where it would fit.

I work for an MSP and have been tasked with writing some handbooks to help engineers work on clients they have never touched before. So what sort of information would you guys want to have easily accessible if you had to work on a site you'd never touched before. I'm starting to build a skeleton of a layout, but would also appreciate any ideas you guys might have.

I'm writing this up from a wintel perspective, but it will also be used by networks/storage/etc

code:
	1. Access
		a. Getting an account
		b. Jump host/remote access
		c. Password database
		d. Location of management tools (may come under the individual services?)
	2. Critical Services
		a. Service 1
			i. As built documentation
			ii. Common tasks
		b. Service 2
		c. Service 3
	3. Network diagrams
	4. Internal stakeholders and VIPs
	5. Vendor Contacts
	6. Licensing
	7. Problem Register
	8. Misc links:
		a. CMDB

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Alain Post posted:

hey lads. Been a while since I posted here, but it's been about a year since I started CCNA classes, and I'm now working as a network engineer in San Francisco. :toot:

e) meant to post this in the cert thread, but oh well.

One of these days I'll actually set a date for my CCENT and then one day after that I will be you except maybe not on the West Coast.

:cheers:

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Crop_Top_9000 posted:

it's not for them, but for someone similar

Thanks for the heads-up, I'll look out for that

If they have an actual datacenter ops team that troubleshoots hardware and boot issues then that's fun. That's where I started oh so many years ago.

But a straight up production team. Yeah you'll be bored in 10 minutes and probably won't have an out because you can cable the best.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

jaegerx posted:

But a straight up production team. Yeah you'll be bored in 10 minutes and probably won't have an out because you can cable the best.

I get stuck with all of the home clients (that we supposedly dropped) because they like me because I'm not an rear end in a top hat to them.

:yotj: 2015!

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Inspector_666 posted:

I get stuck with all of the home clients (that we supposedly dropped) because they like me because I'm not an rear end in a top hat to them.

:yotj: 2015!

Monday for me. :yotj: I spent 12 ½ years at my old job so I'm extremely excited to try somewhere new.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

jaegerx posted:

Monday for me. :yotj: I spent 12 ½ years at my old job so I'm extremely excited to try somewhere new.

Really I just want to get the gently caress out of frontline support/managed service concierge, which is what this job became 2 weeks after I started. My bar is pretty low right now.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Tab8715 posted:

Yea, it sounds like the only real difference in comparison to X86 virt is you have VIOS which actually owns the resources then divvies them out to actual OS lpars.

In that sense, all virt is kinda the same. In another, powervm and vio have significant architectural differences to x86 virt (hardware or binary translation), even if it's conceptually similar

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

evol262 posted:

In that sense, all virt is kinda the same. In another, powervm and vio have significant architectural differences to x86 virt (hardware or binary translation), even if it's conceptually similar

Not to open a huge can of worms but what are the major differences?

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

Loten posted:

Let me know if this is the wrong thread for this question, but I was not sure where it would fit.

I work for an MSP and have been tasked with writing some handbooks to help engineers work on clients they have never touched before. So what sort of information would you guys want to have easily accessible if you had to work on a site you'd never touched before. I'm starting to build a skeleton of a layout, but would also appreciate any ideas you guys might have.

I'm writing this up from a wintel perspective, but it will also be used by networks/storage/etc

code:
	1. Access
		a. Getting an account
		b. Jump host/remote access
		c. Password database
		d. Location of management tools (may come under the individual services?)
	2. Critical Services
		a. Service 1
			i. As built documentation
			ii. Common tasks
		b. Service 2
		c. Service 3
	3. Network diagrams
	4. Internal stakeholders and VIPs
	5. Vendor Contacts
	6. Licensing
	7. Problem Register
	8. Misc links:
		a. CMDB

For vendor contacts make sure you include things like contract IDs, who your contract administrator is for it and things like circuit IDs, etc. Sometimes you'll go to open a support case with contract ID in hand and be told by the engineer that "So and so needs to open the case sorry!" so it's helpful to know who that is ahead of time and make sure you can open cases on behalf of that contract. This has bit me a couple times in the last few years.

Loten
Dec 8, 2005

Very good point - thank you. I'll make sure to post the template when I'm finished with it as it's probably helpful to everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

So I do all the training for our new Helpdesk techs. The whole training process is a bit haphazard, before this I hadn't done any training and my boss didn't give much direction on what she wanted. At this point though I've got it down, I've onboarded 5 people and they've all worked out well, been good techs, and seemed to quickly get up to speed on things even if there were a few speed bumps.

However, the newest guy is still struggling a month in. He has trouble with things like how to read a ticket and see what's going on with it. Anytime I ask him what's confusing him or how I can help he gets super defensive and just replies that no one showed him the system or screens so he doesn't know what to do, this is never true. Anything he's been struggling with is something he's been shown 3 or 4 times now. I have no idea what's the right point to start suggesting to my boss that we might want to look for some one else because this guy can't hack it.