Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

The AC on my NA 1.6 just barely works. It takes ages to get cold and even then it's really not that cold. I thought it was the gas so I had it refilled, but the guy who did it said it was full and it didn't change anything anyway. It makes a quiet hissing sound, like air coming out of a can, when the compressor is running. Does anyone know what might be causing it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

alexnessie posted:

Ideally I'd like a full cage but the ones I've seen look awful and being Scotland, I need the roof. Is there a particular roll bar that's popular? Bonus points for being able to mount harnesses too.

Not sure what's available across the pond, but Hard Dog is popular over here in the US. Either way don't wait for a new one get rid of that dumbass style bar.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
I had a Boss Frog bar on my NB. Works with a hardtop, I'd recommend it.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

I've got a Hard Dog rollbar on my NA, works with a hard top as well and I quite like it. Only issue is that it is a little low, and if I want to really clear the bar with the helmet I'd have to remove some foam from the seats. I installed it myself which was a bit of a bitch but it is really drat solid and if I had a racing seat or did the foamectomy on my seats it would be quite perfect. Not sure how shipping one to the UK would be however.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Korwen posted:

I've got a Hard Dog rollbar on my NA, works with a hard top as well and I quite like it. Only issue is that it is a little low, and if I want to really clear the bar with the helmet I'd have to remove some foam from the seats. I installed it myself which was a bit of a bitch but it is really drat solid and if I had a racing seat or did the foamectomy on my seats it would be quite perfect. Not sure how shipping one to the UK would be however.

Get out of here, you traitor. Go take your vtecs (yo), and go home.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

Phone posted:

Get out of here, you traitor. Go take your vtecs (yo), and go home.

But I am at home?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Anyone here ever try the Boss frog door bars? I've heard they're pretty drat swell for chassis stiffening. Think I'd rather go that route than a roll bar.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Thought about the butterfly brace from FM? I had the frame rail braces only and they seemed to help but that chassis is floppy as gently caress regardless.

Sorry I'm not much help on the door braces but it seems it would be annoying getting in/out of the car with them.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

From what I've read they are the best stiffener for the money, just wanted to see if anyone here has used them before. As far as getting in and out of the car, yeah looks like it would be a pain but some people don't seem to be bothered by it. Probably not the best idea for a DD Miata.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Trying to stiffen up a Miata, short of caging it, seems like a pointless endeavour to me. It's a super floppy car from the factory and short of bolting on a hundred pounds of metal it's still going to be really floppy compared to a car with a roof.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Lol compared to which cars with a roof? Corvettes and BMW's? Can't think of a whole lot of cars with a roof that handle better than a Miata.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Yeah, this is the first time I've heard a Miata called 'floppy'. Usually phrases like 'street legal go kart' or 'telepathic steering' come out of people. Are you sure you're not thinking of a Sebring?

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
I dont know. I dont think the miata is bad for a convertible but it definitely has some scuttle shake.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Just because the car handles well doesn't mean that the chassis itself isn't as floppy as a fish.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I understand that but jesus it isn't that bad. I'd be willing to spend a little money to stiffen it up a bit but to say it needs a full cage is ridiculous.

It rattles over railroad tracks boo hoo.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

PadreScout posted:

I had a Boss Frog bar on my NB. Works with a hardtop, I'd recommend it.

Seconding this quite vehemently. After rolling / flipping my car down a small hill, through a tree and off a small boulder, I can safely say it holds up pretty darn well and probably kept me from getting my dome smashed in. Also, I am 6'1" with most of my height in my legs, and my head and helmet wouldn't pass the broomstick test without removing quite a bit of foam, if that matters to you.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

leica posted:

I understand that but jesus it isn't that bad. I'd be willing to spend a little money to stiffen it up a bit but to say it needs a full cage is ridiculous.

It rattles over railroad tracks boo hoo.

It basically needs a cage if you actually want it to be stiff and make a real difference, though. Nothing else can really make a big difference in a vert. If I could do it over again I wouldn't have bothered (with the frame rail braces), that's all. You'll get some marginal gains but it isn't going to make you faster.

When you're in something modern with a roof you'll realize that a miata (when it comes to stiffness) isn't that good.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

FatCow posted:

Trying to stiffen up a Miata, short of caging it, seems like a pointless endeavour to me. It's a super floppy car from the factory and short of bolting on a hundred pounds of metal it's still going to be really floppy compared to a car with a roof.

Are you loving stoned, bro?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Larrymer posted:

It basically needs a cage if you actually want it to be stiff and make a real difference, though. Nothing else can really make a big difference in a vert. If I could do it over again I wouldn't have bothered (with the frame rail braces), that's all. You'll get some marginal gains but it isn't going to make you faster.

When you're in something modern with a roof you'll realize that a miata (when it comes to stiffness) isn't that good.

But it still handles better than most cars with roofs so I guess it's all good then? It pretty much comes down to a feel thing, if you want the car to feel stiffer or not. Unless the car is a dedicated track rat, it's only going to make a difference to your butt dyno.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

leica posted:

But it still handles better than most cars with roofs so I guess it's all good then? It pretty much comes down to a feel thing, if you want the car to feel stiffer or not. Unless the car is a dedicated track rat, it's only going to make a difference to your butt dyno.

So then save your money and don't buy several hundred dollars of several dozens of pounds of bolt-on stuff (That requires drilling)?

Phone fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 4, 2015

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Like I said, I'd be willing to spend a couple hundred bucks on a couple of bars to stiffen it up a bit and make my butt dyno feel better, but I sure as hell don't need a full cage to make it feel like a car with a roof.

I'm not the one knocking Miatas for being "floppy" jerks :colbert:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Just give me the few hundred bucks if you want to spend your money on marginally useful things. I might even buy you a trinket when I visit the Mazda museum in Hiroshima.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Were I in your shoes I'd be looking at making my own. The Boss Frog designs are pretty easy to replicate, and you get a similar effect with the fun of fabricating poo poo yourself. Plus steel is cheap.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Phone posted:

Just give me the few hundred bucks if you want to spend your money on marginally useful things. I might even buy you a trinket when I visit the Mazda museum in Hiroshima.

I was there last year. Don't get your hopes up :sigh:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Phone posted:

Style bar keychain plz

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Holy poo poo guys, take the car off it's pedestal. It's a convertible designed in the 80s with minor refreshes in the 90s. Before I caged my car I could watch the gap change between the hardtop and windshield when I backed off my driveway as well as hear every gasket squeak as the car wobbled around.

The floppyness of the car says nothing about it's handling so don't worry I'm not insulting your baby. But, trying to layer more metal over metal is just going to add weight with a minor bump in stiffness. If you want the chassis to be stiff you have o triangulate it, and the only way you're going to do that is to put a cage in it. Did I say to cage it? No. I just said that chasing stiffness with boltons is in my opinion a waste of money.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Stop calling my baby a floppy car jerk :mad:

Seriously though, adding stiffness and then worrying about weight is kinda dumb. Obviously if you're a weight nazi you wouldn't even consider it.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Honestly the best way to stiffen up a Miata is using it as a donor for a Locost or Exocet.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
I have the FM butterfly and frame rail reinforcements on my NB. They help stiffen quite a bit actually. Without them in you can see the top of the door jamb get closer to the door when you get in, add a passenger and the plastic cap at the corner touches the door panel. With them in it only flexes half as much. Is it worth it? Yes, but they were on the car when I bought it. Would I buy them now? No, I could make something better myself.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I've been driving my miata around in the vermont snow with blizzaks and holy poo poo it may be a world better than the summers but a little extra throttle and I face down death and/or become a drifting champion. It still feels perfectly safe though since regaining grip is as easy as letting off the gas and the car snaps in. I love this car but I may be dead soon

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008
I am in Wisconsin and it finally snowed, so I just put on the snow tires I ordered in October. This is my first rear-wheel drive car.

What I am saying is that you may have company.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Warning: Possibly big.

Trying to make fake wheels look good :)

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
So, I was all ready for the big 200,000, but the loving odometer stuck at 199,999. I took apart the cluster and moved it to 200,000 very carefully to see if it would start moving again but I'm pretty sure that the gears must be mush at this point.

Where the hell do I get a replacement and get the odometer set to my current mileage? I couldn't find anything on Rosenthal Mazda. I'm probably not ever selling this car, but if I do want to I'd like the mileage to be reasonably accurate.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Warning: Possibly big.

Trying to make fake wheels look good :)

Succeeding. Those are neat, and I usually hate chrome barrels.

UnkleBoB
Jul 24, 2000

Beginner's Version, Copyright,
1991 - Please Copy and Distribute
Hi guys, I just picked this up this weekend. Has 125k and is almost all stock. Pretty fun so far.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

UnkleBoB posted:

Hi guys, I just picked this up this weekend. Has 125k and is almost all stock. Pretty fun so far.

Wow, that paint is really consistent. Most of the Sunbursts here have either been repainted or have faded doors. Congrats, I wish the Sunburst seller I chased here had let me have his car.

UnkleBoB
Jul 24, 2000

Beginner's Version, Copyright,
1991 - Please Copy and Distribute

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Wow, that paint is really consistent. Most of the Sunbursts here have either been repainted or have faded doors. Congrats, I wish the Sunburst seller I chased here had let me have his car.

Yeah, it's all original. There are a few spots where it's been retouched, but it's not too bad. Back bumper is a little faded. Not too bad for 24 years in Florida, though.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
That's a great looking car you go there, yellow really is the best car color.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Is the Sunburst single stage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Edit: sold

blk fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jan 10, 2015