Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

So, I've started reading Horus Rising after reading Eisenhorn and a whole bunch of Gaunt's Ghosts, and I've finished "Part 1". I'm seeing parallels between Remembrancers and Librarians, and am kinda surprised that the Legions do not seem to have them. It is funny how 40k and 30k's main difference, is that the Imperium used to be militant atheists, now they are militant preachers. I do wonder how exactly the Space Marines at the very least have all forgotten the Imperial Truth by 40k. Horus' explanation of the warp was great though.

You will be pretty stoked with Bjorn's appearance in the 30k and 40k novels then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

So, I've started reading Horus Rising after reading Eisenhorn and a whole bunch of Gaunt's Ghosts, and I've finished "Part 1". I'm seeing parallels between Remembrancers and Librarians, and am kinda surprised that the Legions do not seem to have them. It is funny how 40k and 30k's main difference, is that the Imperium used to be militant atheists, now they are militant preachers. I do wonder how exactly the Space Marines at the very least have all forgotten the Imperial Truth by 40k. Horus' explanation of the warp was great though.

Space Marines, at least most of them, don't worship the Emperor as a god. Sure, some of the Chapters from later Foundings do, but some of those also have bone protrusions at every joint or have turned into literal fire ghosts as well, because you have to do something to differentiate one group of mutant manchild supersoldiers from another.

As far as the rest of the Imperium goes, basically a popular Imperial cult rose to prominence in the two thousand years since the Heresy thanks to a lack of anything truly uniting humanity, and became one of the most powerful organizations in the Imperium. Once they had a certain amount of power it was probably pretty easy for them to edit out the records of what came before, or simply to say "the Emperor denied his divinity out of humility."

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:
I'm hoping that in 25 years time when we get to read about the siege and the Emperor slaying Horus, that it's the big E or Malcador who tell the high lords of Terra to promote the lectitio divinatus. Realizing that there'll be no more supreme being leading the masses of humanity the next best control mechanism for the Imperium is blind faith and religion.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I wonder who they tap to write the Horus V Emperor book

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Waroduce posted:

I wonder who they tap to write the Horus V Emperor book

IMPERIUM: Horus VS Emperor by Dan Abnett.

featuring the officio assassinorum instead of either character on the cover

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

IMPERIUM: Horus VS Emperor by Dan Abnett.

featuring the officio assassinorum instead of either character on the cover

There is no way the Horus vs the Emperor book won't be entirely from Ollanius Persson's point of view. That's why the Heresy books went off on a wild, Perceptuals tangent in the first place. I take no pleasure in telling you this. :(

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
The Final Betrayal by Matt Ward.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
Gold for the Gold Throne by Henry Zou

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Surprise, Motherfuckers by Ian Watson.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

PantsOptional posted:

Would read and frame+mount my copy

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Dawn of War 3 by C.S. Goto. This is not accompanied by a game by Relic, but rather by a sequel to Warhammer 40k Storm of Vengeance.

Did anything come out of that mobile Eisenhorn game?

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Waroduce posted:

i know this isnt the place, but because i am a tard, what is the name, adress and port of SynIRC (the goon one i think ya?)

punch this into your IRC machine

/server irc.synirc.net

then to join the channel it's

/join #theblacklibrary

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Some Legions have Librarians, some don't. A secondary character in Betrayer is a World Eater Librarian, and Librarians from the White Scars and Space Wolves (well, a Storm Seer and a Rune Priest) show up in other books. The Thousand Sons are almost nothing but Librarians, and it's why that Legion is organized completely differently from any other.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Lincoln`s Wax posted:

The only thing that's really kinda irked me was the cover to The Greater Good- shows Cain back to back fighting with Tau. Does not happen in any way, shape or form.

It's an in-universe joke. Once or twice Cain comments that propaganda posters show him doing things he never did, with weapons he never used.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Shroud posted:

It's an in-universe joke. Once or twice Cain comments that propaganda posters show him doing things he never did, with weapons he never used.
He mentions the Bolt Pistol thing at some stage early on, saying that it annoys him that his posters always have it, when he always favoured his Laspistol that he was familiar with.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Theres a passage in a book, I want to say one of the Night Lords but im not sure, where some characters are bitching about who did what on Terra and why the assault on the palace fell. I think they complained about the Emperors Children off chasing slaves and stuff while the world eaters died at the gates and some other things. Might have been the first Ahriman book or Talon of Horus but I cant find it...

Any ideas?

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Sounds like Talon of Horus: that's one of the sticking points Khayron has with Telemachon, his company was supposed to reinforce the Thousand Sons, but ran off and they got slaughtered..

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
The 1k sons didn't participate in the siege of terra. They were being hate hosed by the woofs on Prospero.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

The 1k sons didn't participate in the siege of terra. They were being hate hosed by the woofs on Prospero.

That was before. At the time of the Siege, the Thousand Sons were stuck in the Eye of Terror until Ahriman came up with and cast his Rubric.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Been spending most of my off-time actually working a 40K army, but lately I have been slowly picking at Scars and Crossfire page by page. Honestly, I have not been to impressed by Wraight up until now, but I'm about 100 pages in and he isn't doing to bad. The same can be said for Crossfire, where honestly the worst aspect of the book is the main character has little actual emotion, but the level of detail put into the Imperium's inner workings is rather impressive considering the author really hasn't done anything else for 40K that I am aware of...

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Waroduce posted:

Theres a passage in a book, I want to say one of the Night Lords but im not sure, where some characters are bitching about who did what on Terra and why the assault on the palace fell. I think they complained about the Emperors Children off chasing slaves and stuff while the world eaters died at the gates and some other things. Might have been the first Ahriman book or Talon of Horus but I cant find it...

Any ideas?

All I know is that this has been in the fluff for a long time.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.

Shroud posted:

That's pretty hilarious, I've never thought about the covers being propaganda, especially since I've replaced the individual novels with the omnibi and barely remember most of them.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Mange Mite posted:

All I know is that this has been in the fluff for a long time.

speaking of i think everyone would enjoy this here
http://redelf.narod.ru/w40k/ci/ci_assault_holyterra.html

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I just finished The World Engine. Man, Ben Counter has really stepped up his game. It's a good novel, the plot is actively helped by the interstitial bits about Inquisition stuff, and I was actually looking forward to the end of the book to find out what happens. Not the usual sense of relief. There's also a lot of good Necron action, and anything that requires a whole loving chapter of space marines is a worthy threat.

I say put this on the "you should read it" list. It's better than most of the Space Marines Battles books, especially the ones with Necrons in them. And double especially Shield of Ball: The Devourer. I had a hard time finishing that one.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

mllaneza posted:

Shield of Ball: The Devourer

?

e: needs more skulls

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

PantsOptional posted:

:vince:

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
There is a Kharn book by Anthony Reynolds. Is it any good?

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.

mllaneza posted:

I just finished The World Engine. Man, Ben Counter has really stepped up his game. It's a good novel, the plot is actively helped by the interstitial bits about Inquisition stuff, and I was actually looking forward to the end of the book to find out what happens. Not the usual sense of relief. There's also a lot of good Necron action, and anything that requires a whole loving chapter of space marines is a worthy threat.

I say put this on the "you should read it" list. It's better than most of the Space Marines Battles books, especially the ones with Necrons in them. And double especially Shield of Ball: The Devourer. I had a hard time finishing that one.

I'll have to check it out, got around to finishing Devourer last night and you're right. I liked the start but it didn't turn into much. I don't hate Counter or anything- the first two grey knights books were okay, especially for their time. Couldn't take soul drinkers though- urrrgh.

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:
Has anyone read the space marine battles book Pandorax? Looks to be dark angels and grey knights taking on the black legion and Abaddon (at least from the cover art). Didn't pick it up as I didn't recognize the author C Z Dunn.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I think Soul Drinkers was pretty early stuff, but you're right I read the omnibus and it was just loving torture.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I thought the first wasnt offensively bad, and I got through it but the rest blow

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Arquinsiel posted:

He mentions the Bolt Pistol thing at some stage early on, saying that it annoys him that his posters always have it, when he always favoured his Laspistol that he was familiar with.

Lincoln`s Wax posted:

That's pretty hilarious, I've never thought about the covers being propaganda, especially since I've replaced the individual novels with the omnibi and barely remember most of them.

Funny enough, in (I think) The Last Ditch there is a footnote by Vail about Jurgen picking up a Bolt Pistol from a tech priestess that apparently gets a lot of use in his propaganda pictures.
I thought that was a really neat touch.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Sharkie posted:

?

e: needs more skulls

Mr. Tyranid ate my balls

Shroud
May 11, 2009

rocket_Magnet posted:

Has anyone read the space marine battles book Pandorax? Looks to be dark angels and grey knights taking on the black legion and Abaddon (at least from the cover art). Didn't pick it up as I didn't recognize the author C Z Dunn.

Pretty terrible. I couldn't even finish it. Requires more suspension of disbelief than I could come up with (even for Warhammer).

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

He goes right to the point where Kharn is supposed to lose his poo poo and beat the Emperor's Children to death with World Eaters, but doesn't actually cover it. Other than that it's not bad.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

From ADB's FB today. I knew it. I KNEW IT.

quote:

Aaron Dembski-Bowden Sean - One Transformers line in every novel. It's the rule.

I think The Black Legion one will be "Sigismund must be stopped, no matter the cost."

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That just makes me like him more TBH.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Shroud posted:

IIRC it's also a meta-joke aimed at Gaunt's Ghosts, which book series has always prominently featured the Cover Commissar, who looks almost nothing like Gaunt is described and uses different gear.

Liveware
Feb 5, 2014

rocket_Magnet posted:

Dunn is a BL senior editor. He's in charge of collating/editing most of the anthology releases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

The Rat posted:

From ADB's FB today. I knew it. I KNEW IT.
Everything ADB writes makes me love him more.