Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

SereneCrimson posted:

I'm not digging this run so much.
I understand he's really good at the game, but it doesn't feel like a speed run. With the life getting at the start, and a lot more pauses than I've seen in some lost levels runs.

Don't get me wrong, I know it's a difficult game and he's good. And I really enjoy the enthusiasm he's putting into this.
I just feel like it could be faster. I like the runner more than I like the run.

Still this beats the hell out of a bunch of runs from this event though.

gently caress off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
holy loving poo poo :aaaaa:

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

It's me, Big Jon. I want an egg roll.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!
AGDQ 2015: Don't be scared, now

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

SereneCrimson posted:

I understand he's really good at the game, but it doesn't feel like a speed run. With the life getting at the start, and a lot more pauses than I've seen in some lost levels runs.

Don't get me wrong, I know it's a difficult game and he's good. And I really enjoy the enthusiasm he's putting into this.
I just feel like it could be faster. I like the runner more than I like the run.

RETARD ALERT

Faust IX
Nov 6, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

"Hey it ain't over yet

okay clap now"

Big Jon is great.

My god. It's full of stars.

snodig
Oct 5, 2014

SereneCrimson posted:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

SereneCrimson posted:

i think if it were faster, it would be a TAS or at least not maraton safe AT ALL.

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

"Hey you get to see that trick again though!" - This guy loving owns

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SereneCrimson posted:

same but totally ironically

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
And he bodies it the next time through. :allears:

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!

SereneCrimson posted:

mods?

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
Like if nothing else this is a great natural break, it's got that more relaxed feel while still showing off some pretty clear skill

Good run + Great runner = :cool:

Faust IX
Nov 6, 2009
He's so upbeat, even with that completely bullshit bowser fight!

"Take two!"

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I feel it is far, far more important to have an entertaining run than a good run. We saw plenty of good runs that bored everyone to tears, whereas Big Jon's commentary alone has made this a thing of beauty.

And it's not like he's playing poorly. SMB2 in under 30 is crazy good.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

SereneCrimson posted:

:getout:

"playin safe isn't doing it, let's play it like normal"

holy poo poo

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
the super mario brothers 2 speedrun world record holder isn't playing super mario brothers 2 fast enough guhhh durrrrrr

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Jon is the best at SMB2J/Lost Levels warpless.
It does seem like it should be faster but nobody does it.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Colorspray posted:

"Hey you get to see that trick again though!" - This guy loving owns

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

SereneCrimson posted:

It really can't be much faster.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Crain posted:

And he bodies it the next time through. :allears:

Not a dude you want to get bodied by :downsrim:

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
This is probably the most enjoyable run I've seen so far. Great commentary and crowd involvement.

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!

Kikas posted:

i think if it were faster, it would be a TAS or at least not maraton safe AT ALL.

Yeah! Risky strats or nothing.
gently caress marathon safe, I just wanna go fast.

(Dark Forces spoiled me...)

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

SereneCrimson posted:

I think the issue with Lost Levels is a lot of it is random when compared to other 2D Marios so he has to play kinda safe so it's not filled with deaths.

Leeham721
Jan 4, 2015
Safe strat = fail
Beast mode = flawless

wut

El Golden Goose
Jul 23, 2007

SereneCrimson posted:

Hmmmmm I see

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

SereneCrimson posted:

flatluigi posted:

There's also been a few dozen lovely posters who don't understand things like opting for slightly safer strategies for a marathon run, having to do a trick more than once, or just having bad luck in general + it's really grating

RIP

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

'i can't believe this guy got extra lives for a few seconds while playing for a marathon so he doesn't potentially get a game over and have to restart entirely since it's a hard as gently caress game'
:goonsay:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
"Let's play this level like I'd normally play it"

And I'm just like :catstare:

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

RyokoTK posted:

Not a dude you want to get bodied by :downsrim:

I would love to be bodied by big john. :colbert:

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

absolutely anything posted:

the super mario brothers 2 speedrun world record holder isn't playing super mario brothers 2 fast enough guhhh durrrrrr

I guess they'll be taking their business to competing marathon Various Games Done Frame-Perfect.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

flatluigi posted:

He's playing the game really fast and he has the world record for this, what the gently caress would make you think this isn't a speedrun

The grinding lives bit seemed like a joke. He's going fast now so I take it back.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Rorus Raz posted:

I feel it is far, far more important to have an entertaining run than a good run. We saw plenty of good runs that bored everyone to tears, whereas Big Jon's commentary alone has made this a thing of beauty.

And it's not like he's playing poorly. SMB2 in under 30 is crazy good.

Pretty much. Like the Diddy Kong Racing race was really technically impressive but got boring as poo poo after just a little while.

Faust IX
Nov 6, 2009

Kikas posted:

"Let's play this level like I'd normally play it"

And I'm just like :catstare:

Pins
Jul 16, 2010

Haven't You Heard?
Summoning this man to agdq was the best thing i've done in 2015.

Faust IX
Nov 6, 2009
"What am I walking on?"

I Use Dialup
Jan 24, 2009
I love Big John

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

can we just watch big john the rest of the night

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
"why's the water black :geno:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

More than 2 minutes over his WR of 24:39.39.
Basically a Let's Play imo.

• Locked thread