Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
:eyepop: E-5 with dependents BAH for San Francisco is $3840

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

holocaust bloopers posted:

:eyepop: E-5 with dependents BAH for San Francisco is $3840

My sister was living in a studio apartment in SF that cost almost double what it was costing me to rent a 3 bed/2.5 bath house in Vegas (and I was a fair bit under my O-3 without dependent BAH).

So yeah I can totally believe that.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Murcor posted:

How in the true name of gord can prices get that high?

Was looking at investment property in Antioch last weekend, 3800sq foot house new construction 540k, rentable at about 2800-3400. And that area is not even connected to BART yet. The same size house in the area I am in, in the East Bay would be about 1.2m+

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
An ex of mine is moving out of SF for the burbs this year because even with her and her husband earning a combined $225k/year a two bedroom is getting ridiculously expensive.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

WarpedNaba posted:

I can't tell what's facetious anymore.

I don't bother wondering any longer.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Ten + people killed in "heavily armed assault" on offices of French satirical magazine Charlie Hébdo.

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer
From the Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/11329976/Paris-Charlie-Hebdo-attack-live.html):

"The attackers reportedly escaped in a black Citreon DS, wounding a policemen, then knocking over and wounding "several" pedestrians. They moved towards the 19th arrondissment before requisitioning another vehicle and leaving central Paris via the Porte de Pantin metro station."

It looks like they might have gotten away?

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
They are still on the loose and they have an RPG too. Good job everyone.

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer

Equine Don posted:

They are still on the loose and they have an RPG too. Good job everyone.

I think just one bystander said RPG, and now sources are running with it. Might be one of those facts that disappears in an hour or two

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Barracuda Bang! posted:

I think just one bystander said RPG, and now sources are running with it. Might be one of those facts that disappears in an hour or two

True. In any case they do have AK-47s and a full tank. Fun times ahead!

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Definite high point of a muslim jihadi's career, shooting up the french equivalent of Mad Magazine.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Can't wait to be a part of the French-led coalition to invade Iraq.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

orange juche posted:

Definite high point of a muslim jihadi's career, shooting up the french equivalent of Mad Magazine.

that magazine made fun of islam and this is just blowback :goonsay:

mmtt
May 8, 2009
I don't usually post here but here's a short clip from the attack:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=johD9NMi6r0

The graphic part has been edited out.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

mmtt posted:

Jesus.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

mmtt posted:

gently caress man.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
They execute the guy on the ground? fuckkk

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Goddamn.

edit: And they escaped Paris? drat.

bloops fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jan 7, 2015

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Holy poo poo. Most mass shooters are radicalized losers who kill themselves when the cops show up.

These guys waited for the first cop car on scene who probably only had pistols, engaged and executed at least one cop and successfully escaped.

:stare:

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Smiling Jack posted:

Holy poo poo. Most mass shooters are radicalized losers who kill themselves when the cops show up.

These guys waited for the first cop car on scene who probably only had pistols, engaged and executed at least one cop and successfully escaped.

:stare:

Isn't that what the NYPD studies after Mumbai said would most likely happen to first responders in an actual terrorist attack vs the regular losers? The first guys would have no chance?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

gfanikf posted:

Isn't that what the NYPD studies after Mumbai said would most likely happen to first responders in an actual terrorist attack vs the regular losers? The first guys would have no chance?

There's a reason that they call first responders "Blue Canaries". You start seeing dead cops, firefighters, and EMS you can be sure that you're getting close to the epicenter of an attack.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

orange juche posted:

I wonder if you get more or fewer Allah Points by massacring a grade school.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Stultus Maximus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2x7gHxQYYE&t=4s

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

You get less if the Russian hostage rescue team does most of the work for you.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

French police officer getting executed during the Charlie Hebdo attack. (Doesn't have the shot edited out.)

:nms: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=bc6_1420632668 :nms:

Leeham721 posted:

Translation:

Terrorist : "ah you wanted to kill us ?!"
Policeman : "it's ok I'm done" ("FR: Non c'est bon chef", as in, it's ok I give up you win)

Then the final shot.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
^^^ there's a white flag joke in there somewhere

gfanikf posted:

that's what they did the other month in that ax attack in Israel, too

loving shitheads

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Current Events Thread: poo poo is ACTUALLY going down like right now

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Harold and Kumar Go to a Non-Extradition Country

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Smiling Jack posted:

Only when you have a police force that isn't going to show up with anything real, like your basic frogger. Then you can plan on escaping.

edit: What a bunch of dummies. Was the thing run by a bunch of liberal arts graduates that thought they lived outside reality?

http://www.sfgate.com/technology/businessinsider/article/How-Charlie-Hebdo-Became-A-Top-Terrorist-Target-5999263.php

chemosh6969 fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jan 7, 2015

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Harold and Kumar Go to a Non-Extradition Country

I don't think there are any countries in the Schengen area that don't extradite for murdering a bunch of dudes (except France itself lol)

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

chemosh6969 posted:

Only when you have a police force that isn't going to show up with anything real, like your basic frogger. Then you can plan on escaping.
Remember though, France is kind of like the kid who gets pushed and pushed and pushed, then brings a gun to school one day.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Casimir Radon posted:

Remember though, France is kind of like the kid who gets pushed and pushed and pushed, then brings a gun to school one day.

Didn't they threaten to respond to terrorism with nuclear weapons?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

chemosh6969 posted:

edit: What a bunch of dummies. Was the thing run by a bunch of liberal arts graduates that thought they lived outside reality?

http://www.sfgate.com/technology/businessinsider/article/How-Charlie-Hebdo-Became-A-Top-Terrorist-Target-5999263.php

I take it you've never been to France then. Every time I've gone, I've seen their cops geared up similar to American cops, especially in the Metro areas.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Flikken posted:

Didn't they threaten to respond to terrorism with nuclear weapons?
Probably. I was thinking about the Rainbow Warrior.

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Casimir Radon posted:

Are they, though?

My money for that is actually on the Netherlands. Has any public figure in that country expressed any anger, as opposed to just being sad, that Russians blew up a plane full of their people? If I were a citizen, I'd be pretty, uhhhh, steamed.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

chemosh6969 posted:

You are overlooking the difference between this attack and an Adam Lanza / Columbine / suicide by cop type shooting.

Most of these whack jobs operate solo and kill themselves when confronted, make no effort to hide their identities, have no plan for escape, and are only effective against unarmed targets.

These guys came with a plan of engagement and escape, hid their identities, pushed the assault onto responding officers and stopped to collect discarded items that could be used as evidence.

Most of these mass murders end not because of outside action but because the murderer chooses to stop either through suicide or surrender.

These guys, like the Fort Hood shooter did not stop, and went even beyond Ft Hood- they broke contact and escaped with weapons intact.

This is a fundamentally different type of attack.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

France's method of dealing with terrorists is a little less Khattala and a little more Bin Laden.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Mr Underhill posted:

Guy from Charlie Hebdo who thankfully wasn't in the office during a talk show today

His segment starts at about 10:37. I understand about 85% of spoken french and it's loving heartbreaking.

At 16:00 he finds out Charb and Cabu are dead. It's hard to watch. I loving teared up IRL.

Quoting from the DnD thread. Guy is lucky as poo poo that he was doing a press junket today.

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Barracuda Bang! posted:

Are they, though?

My money for that is actually on the Netherlands. Has any public figure in that country expressed any anger, as opposed to just being sad, that Russians blew up a plane full of their people? If I were a citizen, I'd be pretty, uhhhh, steamed.

Reaction so far has been pretty damned weak here. The investigation is still ongoing so maybe when they officially come to the conclusion it's the fault of the Russians we'll see a meaningful response but I'm not hopeful.

Personally I wish we did everything in our power to gently caress them back, economy be damned. But the defining characteristic of the Netherlands is that we care about getting rich through trade over anything else and we have quite a lot of trade with Russia (think Royal Dutch Shell).

There's also that the handwringing "it's all our own fault" brigade is lot more prominent in European circles.

gently caress Russia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
There must be some Legionarres excited at the prospect of wrecking a location other than Africa right now

• Locked thread