Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Biplane posted:

When I worked at EPCOT, on our first orientation day (what Disney calls "Traditions") the example we were given was, even if a guest falls into the lake you are not allowed to touch them to try to help them, call emergency services and hope for the best. The fear of lawsuits is that strong.

TBF, they've been sued by people over the supposed transgressions of costumed cast, so that fear is justified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

I dono about kids these days but when I was 12 I was still sniggering at the word penis let alone being able to identify my sexuality beyond "I held hands with [Name] and it was awesome. She came to by birthday party and gave me a card."

Hell kids were still singing "[Name] and [Other Name] sitting in a tree."

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Gridlocked posted:

I dono about kids these days but when I was 12 I was still sniggering at the word penis let alone being able to identify my sexuality beyond "I held hands with [Name] and it was awesome. She came to by birthday party and gave me a card."

Not to defend a stdh person but if you knew whether you liked boys or girls, you were able to identify your sexuality. You probably didn't use those exact terms but that's all it means.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

YeahTubaMike posted:

I believe this, the same way I believe a child when they say that Santa totally came to their house. In both cases, the storyteller believes what they're saying, but we all know it was just somebody loving with them.

Yes, sir, everything went as planned. Yes, sir. Good bye,

Mr. President

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Gridlocked posted:

This means nothing. At 35 I am one of the youngest in my place of employment, and people still sing this song occasionally(mostly to gently caress with people, but has that changed?)

TheObserver
Nov 7, 2012

WaltherFeng posted:

Yes, sir, everything went as planned. Yes, sir. Good bye,

Mr. President

TACTICAL BULLSHITTING ACTION

S T D H

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

quote:

Roommate works for gamestop, some kid thought he needed a case to trade in.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Which Zappa, Dweezil or Moon Unit?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I am totally using "The Blade of Zappa" in my next D&D campaign.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Which Zappa, Dweezil or Moon Unit?

Uh, Frank? Hello? :colbert:

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Uh, Frank? Hello? :colbert:

Frank was dead by the time Oblivion came out. :colbert:

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

Zaphod42 posted:

I am totally using "The Blade of Zappa" in my next D&D campaign.

I Dweezil the Gazebo with my Blade of Zappa!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

quote:

It’s Your (Red) Cross To Bear
Airport | Canada | Extra Stupid, Geography, Students

(I am Swiss and obviously have my passport in hand at airports. The Swiss passport is red with a white cross on it, like the flag. When queueing to enter the airplane a version of this conversation happens nearly every time:)

Stranger: “Oh, my god! You have a Red Cross passport! Are you from the Red Cross?!”

Me: “Haha, no, it’s a Swiss passport.”

(Since when is the Red Cross a country?)

It's funny because of Nazis.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion
The f word.

quote:

This Is Not What A Feminist Looks Like
BOOKSTORE | DAYTON, OH, USA | BIZARRE, BOOKS & READING, LANGUAGE & WORDS, POLITICS
(A woman approaches me at the counter, looking over her shoulder as if she is looking out for someone.)

Me: “Can I… help you, ma’am?”

Woman: “Yes, um, I was wondering if you had any books about…” *drops her voice to an urgent whisper* “… the ‘F’ word.”

Me: “Well, um, we have the ‘Kama Sutra’ in our world cultures section and our romance novel and erotica are—”

Woman: “No, no! The other ‘F’-word.”

Me: *thoroughly confused* “I’m afraid I’m not following ,ma’am…”

Woman: “The ‘F’-word, you know!”

Me: “Really, ma’am, I don’t. Would you like to write it down for me to—”

Woman: “FOR CHRIST’S SAKE! FEMINISM! I’m looking for a book on feminism! Now the whole store knows my business! THANK YOU!”

(She proceeds to quickly flee the store, apologizing to other patrons as she leaves.)

Next Customer: “Is she going to be all right?”

Me: “I certainly hope so.”

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Khazar-khum posted:

The f word.

How feminist!

oh gently caress you posted:

I used to work at an "Italian" restaurant which I won't name—rhymes with "Shmolive Garden"—and one day a woman sitting in my section flags me down. "I'm sorry to bother you, sir," she says, "But I am just not good with fancy I-talian words. This sounds good and I know it's what I want, but would you help teach me how to say it?"

I obliged and had her point to her item on the menu...

"Ah. Spaghetti and Meatballs. Don't worry, ma'am. Plenty of people have trouble with that one."

EDIT:

SHUT UP posted:

I'm the manager at Fancy Kitchen Store in Upscale Suburban Mall, Calif. We close at 9 and at 8:55 a woman comes storming in with a rectangular cake pan. She sets it down on the counter and I see brownies in the pan. A couple are missing though.

"I made these with YOUR brownie mix last night and they are TERRIBLE!" She slams down the package of Trader Joe's brownie mix in front of me. I do not work at Trader Joe's.

A slight smile comes over my face as I figure out how to play this. "OK, well, I'm so sorry to hear that, AND...I think Trader Joe's owes you an apology!"

"Huh?"

"You see, this is Trader Joe's mix and we're not Trader Joe's. Let me see what the deal is with these."

I took a bite and spit it out immediately. She, or someone, had used laundry detergent instead of sugar or flour in the mix. It was so gross. So much soap flavor!

She was so embarrassed that I got her to buy some stuff from me. Also, I made my other associate taste the brownies before I tossed them. "Hey Jen, do these taste odd to you??"

Jen still hates me for that.

SO MUCH SOAP FLAVOR

Fleta Mcgurn has a new favorite as of 11:20 on Jan 6, 2015

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I thought the whole point of baking mixes was that there are flour and sugar already in them.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

My Lovely Horse posted:

I thought the whole point of baking mixes was that there are flour and sugar already in them.

Trader Joe's brownie mix is fantastic and all it requires is butter and eggs.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
It's like they aren't eve trying to make. Their poo poo believable anymore :(

Come on fuckwads do your research.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Why would you store detergent and sugar/flour anywhere close to each other in similar containers? Which they must have to have made this rib-tickling faux pas.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
It would be a good trick to make someone eat laundry soap brownies, I guess. If it happened.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

IrvingWashington posted:

It would be a good trick to make someone eat laundry soap brownies, I guess. If it happened.

This is fantastic. Someone should post this on reddit as STDH by the customer who pranked staff into eating detergent.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Paladinus posted:

This is fantastic. Someone should post this on reddit as STDH by the customer who pranked staff into eating detergent.

All I know is I would never eat brownies given to me by some disgruntled customer. That's like, Wage Slave 101

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I'm pretty sure if you mixed laundry detergent with food then the food would be poisonous

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

corn in the bible posted:

I'm pretty sure if you mixed laundry detergent with food then the food would be poisonous

Sometimes you can get this effect without actually mixing in detergent. Back when I was in college I tried to make a sandwich from a loaf of bread that I stored next to a pack of dryer sheets. Even though the bread was bagged, it still tasted like I took a big bite out of Bounce.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I have one from an actual person I know, though I strongly suspect this is poo poo That Did Happen. To set the scene, he is - no lie - overseas teaching in Mongolia.

quote:

I recently showed my 9th grade students Blade Runner.

After the movie I asked them "How many explosions did you count?"

They thought about it for a minute.

"Do gun shots count?"

"No."

"Er... none, I guess."

"That's right. Because the movie was too busy exploring plot and character and didn't have to rely on an explosion every 15 minutes to hide the fact that there was neither."

And that was my introduction to story in film.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
I don't see how this is unbelievable? Pompous maybe but pretty grounded, they did not all clap or marry him or whatever :confused:

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

flashy_mcflash posted:

I have one from an actual person I know, though I strongly suspect this is poo poo That Did Happen. To set the scene, he is - no lie - overseas teaching in Mongolia.

It might have happened, assuming he's a pretentious rear end in a top hat who thinks impressing 9th graders is awesome.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I've lectured on those topics before, and 100% believe that is something a new film teacher / grad student would say during their first lecture to a class. The follow up to that statement is: "The students stared back at me with blank expressions, then one asked if that would be on the exam."

Edit: Missed that it's grade school. Still applies.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I put the tortoise back on its feet and everybody got up and clapped.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

And you married Rachel who turned out to be based on Albert Einstein?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Kurtofan posted:

But Jenn is so much funnier when she is stuck in japanese tortoise mode!

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. But Reddit would.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

For some reason I found myself reading a Fark thread about NY cops and their back-turning protests, and I found this gem:

quote:

A new bouncer at my regular bar and I were chatting about this that and the other thing, and as we did, a fire truck rolled by, and I made a comment along the lines of "Man, firefighters are the real heroes. None of the authority, all the (or more) risk to life and limb, and you'll never hear about them "accidentally" killing someone for no real reason. Firefighters are basically the only public employees I can maintain any respect for."

Dude goes OFF on a tirade about the risks cops face, how every day they're out there risking their life and limb, and today might be they day they just don't come home at all, and by the way, at your job, whatever that is, how often do you face risk of instant death? He punctuates this by pulling out his badge.

I smile, and say "Well, as a motorsports photographer, I face the risk of instant gory death every single day that I'm at work on the track. I even have some fun, if blurry, photos of me narrowly avoiding death or maiming, if you'd like to see them. And by the by, your response to my sentiment only reinforces my opinions and lack of respect for police. Real heroes don't need headlines, real heroes don't piss and moan about how dangerous and hard their lives are, they just go out and get the job done. So enjoy your self persecution, and remember that anytime you feel bad, or disrespected, you can just go out and murder someone and have all your cop buddies cover for you, while you get 2 weeks paid vacation when you ought to be in prison. Oh, and nice county cop badge by the way. My friend, who is a city cop (whom I've also had this discussion with and who agrees with me on most points) would be ashamed to hear your rant, and would likely agree with me that your attitude really is one of the primary reasons behind that lack of respect."

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

tacodaemon posted:

For some reason I found myself reading a Fark thread about NY cops and their back-turning protests, and I found this gem:

If this really happened, I hope the guy got slapped in his smug face shortly afterwards.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Nobody has ever said "by the by" in a real conversation.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

How do you talk to someone using parenthesis like that, I didn't learn that in school.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Also someone else in the Fark thread called him out on the STDH and he posted more additional blathering than I feel like quoting.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

Rudager posted:

If this really happened, I hope the guy got slapped in his smug face shortly afterwards.

If it really happened, he would have got shut down somewhere in his monologue, probably after the "reinforces my sentiments" because if he already thinks you're an rear end in a top hat, why not prove him right?

E: no wait maybe the point was that some cops are really good people because the cop let him talk all that poo poo and then just kinda nodded and moved away from him instead of (insert cool term for beating the guy up).

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

tacodaemon posted:

Also someone else in the Fark thread called him out on the STDH and he posted more additional blathering than I feel like quoting.

In that post he repeatedly refers to his many photos showing his near death experiences. He describes those photos in detail.

... And then doesn't post the photos.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Non Serviam posted:

In that post he repeatedly refers to his many photos showing his near death experiences. He describes those photos in detail.

... And then doesn't post the photos.

He even uses the phrase "pics or it didn't happen" in reference to the pics he didn't post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

jodai posted:

If it really happened, he would have got shut down somewhere in his monologue, probably after the "reinforces my sentiments" because if he already thinks you're an rear end in a top hat, why not prove him right?

E: no wait maybe the point was that some cops are really good people because the cop let him talk all that poo poo and then just kinda nodded and moved away from him instead of (insert cool term for beating the guy up).

I'm not a cop, I wasn't even there, and I want to smash his piehole shut.

• Locked thread