Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Remember that ASM2 (or was it one) first person trailer? Yeah that was poo poo too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

The MSJ posted:

We need movies made out of the best parts of the best video games. Like a Lord of The Rings movie where the protagonist ranger and his elf ghost partner construct a Mordor orc hierarchy chart to determine who he should kill and who he should mind control and then promote to the top of the leadership ladder so that it can backstab the orc general.

That sounds like an anime.

Oh my god the nemesis system is an anime simulator.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Honestly, that Hardcore clip looked pretty fun. :shobon: It sort of seemed like it was going for a similar thing to Maniac (2012), but playing the disorienting effect for excitement rather than horror (sorta like how Paul Greengrass used shaky-cam). And I'll watch Sharlto Copley in drat near anything.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

twoot posted:

Big Game: POTUS Samuel L Jackson crashes in the Finnish wilderness and a boy has to protect him from terrorists

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdNg9kjtOU8

Looks fun.

The first clip from this looked like some charming 80s Goonies thing, this makes it look kind of raw.

I like the line "from what planet are you from", that's very genuine. :3:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

teagone posted:

One trick pony.

Nah. It's more 'This thing is cool and popular so we should expand on it because that always works". But hey, it worked for District 9, so who knows! Maybe this will be a lot more interesting than it seems? Manic did some really unique things with the format.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Here's a trailer for an entirely first person action movie with Sharlto Copley.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMnURHXFhuE

I don't get why they're doing a fish eye lens. We don't see the world in a fish eye perspective, and neither does the FPS games they're very clearly trying to simulate. Like even the Doom FPS scene didn't use fish eye:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dMA8NmdyW4

Doom also had the sense to not make the entire movie in first person, which somehow means that it is likely a better designed movie than Hardcore.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I assume it's a combo of taking inspiration from gopro videos, and the wider angle lessening the chance that the audience misses something because the cameraguy doesn't move his head far enough.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Here's a trailer for an entirely first person action movie with Sharlto Copley.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMnURHXFhuE

It looks like that cowboy fastdraw arcade game from the mid-90's, even sounds like it.

Ave Azaria
Oct 4, 2010

by Lowtax

GrandpaPants posted:

I don't get why they're doing a fish eye lens. We don't see the world in a fish eye perspective, and neither does the FPS games they're very clearly trying to simulate. Like even the Doom FPS scene didn't use fish eye:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dMA8NmdyW4

Doom also had the sense to not make the entire movie in first person, which somehow means that it is likely a better designed movie than Hardcore.

I want to say fisheye better emulates the human eye's range of vision at any given point. For instance, staring straight ahead, you can see things almost 90-degrees to the left or right, on the edge of your vision.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Another thing that sort of takes me out of it is that the motions are too macro. Yeah, it's strapped to the guy's face, but that means the only motions the camera can make are when the guy moves or points his head. A lot of our vision is based on flicking our eyes around, and this way of filming totally eliminates that. In better POV videos the view will flick around a lot, simulating this roving attention. Real vision is a lot closer to shaky cam than this.

It looks like a videogame, but it looks like a game being demoed at E3 - the stick sensitivity is turned all the way down and the dude ponderously moves from A to B, making sure we don't miss anything. Whereas "real" gameplay footage is way more chaotic, with the view snapping all over at lightning speed as players scan for targets, do random strafing stuff etc. More of that would help this style, I think.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
On a phone and can't ctrl-f, so sorry if I missed a mention of it, but Peep Show is entirely PoV and real loving good. A key to its success is it alternates between two PoVs, so you don't have a show about David Mitchell's character where you never see David Mitchell on screen.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jonny Angel posted:

On a phone and can't ctrl-f, so sorry if I missed a mention of it, but Peep Show is entirely PoV and real loving good. A key to its success is it alternates between two PoVs, so you don't have a show about David Mitchell's character where you never see David Mitchell on screen.

Peep Show just sounds loving horrible on paper but luckily it doesn't take long to get good.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
ANT-MAN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xInh3VhAWs8

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

That was ... not bad. Interesting to say the least. Easily the most "laying low" trailer Marvel has put out. People say Guardians was a test for Marvel. No, THIS will be the true test.

It just looks very very generic.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
That's a very serious trailer.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
This just screams "Yo this movie is coming in hot and we have no CG near ready"

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!
It's turning out from the looks of it to be a very lame origin story.

"You got arrested, but you have a chance at redemption - become Ant-Man!"
"Ok" :geno:

CaptainHollywood fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jan 7, 2015

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Bad.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

CaptainHollywood posted:

"Ok"

And going by casting the redemption is "help an old guy get his company back from an ~~evil~~ CEO with similar powers".

I'm going to give it a 75% chance that he inherits the company at the end anyway.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
I think I'd rather watch Green Lantern again..

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

ozmunkeh posted:

I think I'd rather watch Green Lantern again..

I didn't think GL was that bad, until I rewatched it and saw the helicopter/race car scene. Wouldn't a simple net have done?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

computer parts posted:

And going by casting the redemption is "help an old guy get his company back from an ~~evil~~ CEO with similar powers".

I'm going to give it a 75% chance that he inherits the company at the end anyway.
So basically what you are saying is that it's basically Batman Beyond

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

achillesforever6 posted:

So basically what you are saying is that it's basically Batman Beyond

More like (the first) Iron Man except Tony & Howard Stark are combined and the protagonist is Starlord.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Paul Rudd can't carry a movie.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Yawn. I was way more into the leaked test footage.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Well this looks like a whole lot of nothing.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I can see why Edgar Wright had creative differences with the producers. They clearly wanted a movie he would never make.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

"huh"

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Good Kill, a movie about a drone pilot, directed by Andrew Niccol of Gattaca and Lord of War fame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGGpSemB_hs

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

The trailer is pretty meta with that line and the whole "is it too late to change the name". Kind of fascinating really.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

The MSJ posted:

Good Kill, a movie about a drone pilot, directed by Andrew Niccol of Gattaca and Lord of War fame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGGpSemB_hs

Probably about time a movie was made on this subject actually.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
(re: ant-man) Wow, what a bad trailer. You cast a comedian as the title role and then make a trailer with 1 joke and a bunch of generic looking action footage? I was sure we were going to see Guardians 2.0, since they clearly figured out how to market a comedy/action/comic book movie that time. But nope! Generic poo poo!

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I'm being generous to the movie so I'm counting "huh" and "change the name" as two separate jokes.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Supercar Gautier posted:

I can see why Edgar Wright had creative differences with the producers. They clearly wanted a movie he would never make.

The whole time I was watching that trailer I just thought about what it could have been like with Wright

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

No Edgar Wright sucks - he was perfect for something this crazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEAAAloaVNU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Hughmoris posted:

Paul Rudd can't carry a movie.

Ha okay.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

kiimo posted:

Ha okay.

Name something then. Everything he has been in where he's the leading man has led to him being upstaged by his co-actors.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Vintersorg posted:

Name something then. Everything he has been in where he's the leading man has led to him being upstaged by his co-actors.

Prince Avalanche.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

First of all that doesn't mean you can't carry a movie, not carrying a movie means the box office suffers every time you're the lead. Second of all Paul Rudd made a living out of upstaging other leading actors for years. I'd say that has more to do with how the characters are written. Third of all Wanderlust is an example of him not getting upstaged, he was the only good thing about that movie in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

CaptainHollywood posted:

"Ok" :geno:

It's so obvious that's where they watered down Wright's concept of Scott stealing the Ant-Man suit. "We like it but how can we make him an unambiguously good guy" :downs:

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jan 7, 2015

• Locked thread