Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Well, uh, I mean

Changeman is pretty good.

Liveman is great.

OK yeah, Bioman is my favorite Sentai. Is it the BEST? Honestly very likely not- but it is my favorite for whatever that is worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Shinkenger is wonderful, but is currently in the process of being subbed by Over-Time, so in the meantime, watch the perfect starting Sentai: Kyoryuger.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

...is there a Kamen Rider Sentai then? Cause I'm a hell of a Kamen Rider nerd.

Looking back I feel like parts of Shinkenger felt sort of Kamen Riderish, I guess, and not just the crossover.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Shinkenger is definitely a more serious Sentai than most. Usually. It still does stupid/silly things from time to time.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Cernunnos posted:

Shinkenger is definitely a more serious Sentai than most. Usually. It still does stupid/silly things from time to time.

But thats just what I said!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's not kamen rider until Sentai copies those really awkward and somewhat bad camera shots during battle.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Tae posted:

It's not kamen rider until Sentai copies those really awkward and somewhat bad camera shots during battle.
Well, what was the last time a Sentai team fought a monster in that drat quarry, or at that drat amusement park or near those drat concrete pipes? It's not Kamen Rider without the MVP locations (that are used because they're super loving cheap to film at).

I'm pretty sure it's Kyoryuger, actually.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Poison Mushroom posted:

Well, what was the last time a Sentai team fought a monster in that drat quarry, or at that drat amusement park or near those drat concrete pipes? It's not Kamen Rider without the MVP locations (that are used because they're super loving cheap to film at).

How about that one drat warehouse?

I was actually pretty surprised that Gaim never ended up in the quarry, other then the bit at the start of the first episode.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Poison Mushroom posted:

What about that auditorium? And a shout-out goes to the Old Japan set, with the outfits and all. Gotta get some mileage out of that!

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Dexie posted:

How about that one drat warehouse?

I was actually pretty surprised that Gaim never ended up in the quarry, other then the bit at the start of the first episode.

Gaim either shot the fights-in-reused-locations really well so I didn't notice them or they actually only had 1 fight in the quarry and 1 in the run-down warehouse and that's it.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Cernunnos posted:

Gaim either shot the fights-in-reused-locations really well so I didn't notice them or they actually only had 1 fight in the quarry and 1 in the run-down warehouse and that's it.

wasn't part of the final fight in the run down warehouse? I also feel like it showed up at least one other time but I don't remember when

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Stallion Cabana posted:

wasn't part of the final fight in the run down warehouse? I also feel like it showed up at least one other time but I don't remember when

The Hell Ryugen fight ended in a warehouse but it might not have been the warehouse.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Brother Entropy posted:

The Hell Ryugen fight ended in a warehouse but it might not have been the warehouse.

That fight was definitely in the usual Sentai/Rider rundown warehouse and is the only one I can think of.

I just watched through the series last week after letting it go for school work around Ep 16 when it was On Air. It's pretty good and if anyone in here hasn't seen it they should go fix that.

Vise the Stompy
Mar 26, 2006

This cosmic dance; bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively. But, if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend....Peace!
Doctor Rope
Since its the start of the New Year, I decided to be a little ambitious, in regard to hobbies, and try to watch every Heisei Rider series. Have been watching Kuuga for the first time and, after watching about a fifth of the series, has not disappointed. Some initial thoughts...

1) Godai's super forceful optimism is really endearing, especially in the wake of the really hosed up stuff going on with this serial killer cult of monsters.

2) Godai really gets the crap beaten out of him every fight. :stare: I don't think I have seen a Rider take so much punishment and the fights feel like brawls compared to some the choreographed stuff I have seen in later series.

3) Its interesting to see the Authorities have such an active role in dealing with the monster threat compared to a good portion of the later series. Even more interesting is they seem to be succeeding in making progress at fighting the monsters.

4) Why are there SO many phone calls!!!???

May try to do a more detailed rundown once Im finished assuming I can write something worth reading and hope to continue on to the rest of the series.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Is anybody here collecting all the ToQGer Ressha? If so, would you mind making Super Duper Traindong and posting a photo?

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

Dr Tran posted:

Is anybody here collecting all the ToQGer Ressha? If so, would you mind making Super Duper Traindong and posting a photo?

Also, please make the tip the Kyoryuger train tia.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Vise the Stompy posted:

Since its the start of the New Year, I decided to be a little ambitious, in regard to hobbies, and try to watch every Heisei Rider series.

A whole bunch only have TVN subs so don't do this. It ain't worth it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Literally The Worst posted:

Except Den-O. Den-O is good even despite the TVN subs.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Poison Mushroom posted:

Ehhhhhhh

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Let's drink some coffee-tachi.

Vise the Stompy
Mar 26, 2006

This cosmic dance; bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively. But, if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend....Peace!
Doctor Rope

Literally The Worst posted:

I have dealt with TVN subs before, I can do it again. Though I know what I am in for.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Poison Mushroom posted:

Enjoy trying to read blue-on-red-funny-font text-tachi!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Just got caught up on drive. Man, I like Mach so much better than Drive. A fabulous showman who does completely nonsensical tricks is just plain superior to 'lazy guy who stops being lazy when the plot requires it'.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

Just got caught up on drive. Man, I like Mach so much better than Drive. A fabulous showman who does completely nonsensical tricks is just plain superior to 'lazy guy who stops being lazy when the plot requires it'.

I feel like there's a point where Mach's antics would get annoying. We haven't reached it yet after a single episode, but still it may become too much. Drive is pretty chill fwiw and not in the bad way Wizard is

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Enjoy trying to read blue-on-red-funny-font text-tachi!

It's fine if there aren't alternatives. You roll your eyes more than you might if you were watching it a different way.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Modern Day Hercules posted:

It's fine if there aren't alternatives. You roll your eyes more than you might if you were watching it a different way.

You may as well grab the HK subs for Den-O, those would at least be legible.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

You may as well grab the HK subs for Den-O, those would at least be legible.

Yeah, cool, you don't like TV-N. Fantastic observation. Way to really stick your neck out posting an opinion that literally nobody disagrees with. Jesus Christ. What do you suggest a person wanting to watch Den-O right now do? Learn Japanese?

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Yeah, cool, you don't like TV-N. Fantastic observation. Way to really stick your neck out posting an opinion that literally nobody disagrees with. Jesus Christ. What do you suggest a person wanting to watch Den-O right now do? Learn Japanese?

Sorry TV-N guy, but like I suggested: HK subs. What crawled up your friendship locker and died?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Sorry TV-N guy, but like I suggested: HK subs. What crawled up your friendship locker and died?
Has TV-N ever topped "Scorpion Penis", though?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Watch a good show.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

"Would Urataros wear a fedora if he wasn't a bodyswapping magical demon" - the greatest thread in the history of forums, locked by a moderator after 12,239 pages of heated debate,

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Well if you want to watch *BLADE* you sure as gently caress do for the moment!

I don't think of myself as a hard man to please with subtitles. I watched all of Kamen Rider Black, Return of Ultraman, Metalder, Black RX and Ultraman Mebius with HK subs. Subs that you had to use your imagination to figure out what the gently caress they meant.

But you know at least they made any amount of sense!

And let's not get into what they did with Ultraman Nexus, which is often over looked- they totally hosed vital important plot points so badly to make them mean the exact opposite of what was said! I don't even know how many times they did that because I can't be bothered to go back and compare them again

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

I think I could do a 'better' job of subbing certain shows than TVN but the risk of receiving similar levels of ungratefulness kills any motivation. Even doing something as 'bad' as TVN takes a lot of time and effort and this fandom (at least, as represented by SA, 4chan's /m/ board, RB and HJU), really doesn't deserve it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

DiscoJ posted:

I think I could do a 'better' job of subbing certain shows than TVN but the risk of receiving similar levels of ungratefulness kills any motivation. Even doing something as 'bad' as TVN takes a lot of time and effort and this fandom (at least, as represented by SA, 4chan's /m/ board, RB and HJU), really doesn't deserve it.
I think there's a difference between having this attitude towards what's literally the largest and most influential toku fansubbing group on the internet, and having it towards a one-man basement operation. Everyone's so loving harsh towards TVN because we know, with the resources and manpower they have, they should be able to do so much loving better.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DiscoJ posted:

...Good for you?

Do you want a medal for your apathy towards a fanbase of nerds and hypothetical subbing of shows?

Like was this just a reason to make fun of us or

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Shaider was pretty good. I love how OT changed Commander to Commissioner.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

DiscoJ posted:

When their leader dude calls translating things, you know the thing they ostensibly do, cultural whitewashing? Nah they deserve it

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Oh wait you mean the fans don't deserve half-translated nonsense that takes a week to come out and the half that is translated is awful stilted poo poo that doesn't actual communicate what is being sad?

I agree.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Burkion posted:

...Good for you?

Do you want a medal for your apathy towards a fanbase of nerds and hypothetical subbing of shows?

Like was this just a reason to make fun of us or

I'm not making fun of anyone. Just expressing my view point, same as you did. I just feel like there might be more people willing to sub more shows if there was more appreciation for the effort it takes. As it is, subbers get skewered for not attaining perfection. That's not limited to TVN and it's also not limited just to translation quality but obviously they're the most common things to hear about. The effort just isn't worth it.

quote:

Oh wait you mean the fans don't deserve half-translated nonsense that takes a week to come out and the half that is translated is awful stilted poo poo that doesn't actual communicate what is being sad?

You're critical of them taking a week to release stuff?

This is also part of the 'ungratefulness' I'm complaining about.

quote:

I think there's a difference between having this attitude towards what's literally the largest and most influential toku fansubbing group on the internet, and having it towards a one-man basement operation.

TVN gets the bulk of it, but even on those rare occasions where smaller operations release movies or specials or whatever, you'll still see judgmental posts (admittedly mainly on 4chan from what I've seen) with people nitpicking and whining about word choices or naming schemes.

It's in really stark contrast to what I see for the J-Drama fandom (at least as is represented by D-addicts), where imperfections/mistakes may be pointed out, but not with the negativity so common amongst Toku fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

DiscoJ posted:

You're critical of them taking a week to release stuff?

This is also part of the 'ungratefulness' I'm complaining about.

Wow this is the densest way you could have read that complaint but okay, sure. Whatever to justify your position.

His complaint seems to be "They release subs that are poorly encoded and badly translated, when even translated. That is especially terrible since they release subs days to a week later than it takes other sub groups." He's saying if they did their translation thing well taking a week wouldn't be an issue but they come out much later than other subs AND are lovely subs is stupid.

• Locked thread