Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
Better shot of the mom tattoo from the preview:

(yes I fiddled with the image, I took a phonecam pic of my TV and you couldn't make out the symbol easily)

I still have zero idea what any of those symbols are. Except that the one symbol looks like the Stargate Point of Origin egyptian rune.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I liked the part where the bad guy died. Got him with his own knife thing. Suck it, jerk!

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
This show is outstanding. It's like they plucked the cast out of some of our minds. James Urbaniak, Ray Wise and Farva?

It's been a long time since I've been this eager for a week to pass to watch a TV show.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

I'm starting to think that whoever suggested "Mom Heart Tattoo" for the symbol may actually be right. I've been trying to look up the rest of the symbols Carter is looking at, and the closest things I've found have just been the bullshit mish-mashes of "ancient symbols" you find on tattoo websites. I wonder if she's looking through a tattoo book.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I thought he may have been trying to do hydra design.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

XboxPants posted:

Also when is this, is it before the Peggy Carter One-Shot? It kinda doesn't make sense for it to be after that.

Came here to ask the same thing. I thought she had completely earned the agency's respect after the short film? But she's treated like she was at the beginning of the short in this, with no reference to the stuff she pulled in the short, which shut everyone up. Also, it looked like in the montages they showed a clip from the short, so I have no idea. I guess they just retconned that poo poo right the hell out.

Anyway, pretty decent show, will be watching. Angie is great and I hope she doesn't get ganked like the other roomie for the sake of cheap emotional stunts.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!
This premiere turned out to be pretty good; came swinging right out of the gate. I like how Carter is a straight-up rear end-kicker.

Antman teaser was kind of meh though.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

It seems as if the plot of the entire run is Carter solving mysteries on her own, and the boys of the SSR trying to find out who this dame is who's always one step ahead. Plus of course the mystery of who stole the Stark stuff and probably each episode revolving around one of the missing items.

Prediction: Carter brings that guy with the crutch into her plans.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Loving the old timey email. This show hit the ground at full speed.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

ToastyPotato posted:

Came here to ask the same thing. I thought she had completely earned the agency's respect after the short film? But she's treated like she was at the beginning of the short in this, with no reference to the stuff she pulled in the short, which shut everyone up. Also, it looked like in the montages they showed a clip from the short, so I have no idea. I guess they just retconned that poo poo right the hell out.

They did show a bit of the short in the montage up front. My guess is with her big benefactor Howard Stark on the outs with everybody the sexism of the day took control and Peggy got relegated back to filing duty. I mean if they're perfectly happy to shrug off what she did during the war, and I'm guessing that includes the hijinks she got into with the Howling Commandos that we saw at the start of AoS, they'll overlook what she did in the short.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

ToastyPotato posted:

Angie is great and I hope she doesn't get ganked like the other roomie for the sake of cheap emotional stunts.

They can't kill off two best friends. Angie is the one who finds out she is more than a telephone operator and helps Carter cover with the uptight lady who runs the housing.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

howe_sam posted:

They did show a bit of the short in the montage up front. My guess is with her big benefactor Howard Stark on the outs with everybody the sexism of the day took control and Peggy got relegated back to filing duty. I mean if they're perfectly happy to shrug off what she did during the war, and I'm guessing that includes the hijinks she got into with the Howling Commandos that we saw at the start of AoS, they'll overlook what she did in the short.

Yeah I guess. I mean I can buy that they don't give a poo poo about her war stories especially if they think Captain America and the Commandos did all the heavy lifting, but the short made it pretty clear that she was capable of soloing a pretty serious mission with no backup what so ever, and that she, you know, sneaks around the office and breaks the rules. So it is REAAAALY weird that the show ignores that major character development.

Timett posted:

They can't kill off two best friends. Angie is the one who finds out she is more than a telephone operator and helps Carter cover with the uptight lady who runs the housing.

Yeah. I hope you are right. I mean you are right about her role, I just hope you are right about her not being expendable. I can see writers totally going down that route with Angie and then killing her to go "SEE PEGGY, YOU'RE TOXIC!"

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Depending on which interviews you read, either the One Shot is no longer in continuity or it takes place after the series. The former makes more sense to me, but YMMV.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I have this impression, though I probably couldn't back it up, that the short takes place after the miniseries, which will wrap up with Stark back in the good graces of the government, the SSR still not having a clue that Carter is the badass agent she is, and Stark getting the idea to put her in charge of SHIELD.

EDIT: Beaten, but it makes sense to me.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Wasn't feeling the first episode at all, but the second one was much better.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
She already thinks she's "toxic." Next step for her is to start trusting people and herself more. Crutches guy seems okay, Jarvis seems to be keeping something from her but likely has her interests at heart...

Killing off another friend would just be bad storytelling... until maybe next season if we get one :)

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I have the feeling crutches guy isn't really a cripple someone take that crutch from him and he'll be walking perfectly!!!

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Really enjoyed those two episodes. If this gets a season 2, and Atwell gets her way in getting a time jump (she's stated in recent interviews), would love to see the show tackle the crazy 50s Cap since it looks like Captain America 3 won't actually be covering that.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

BatteredFeltFedora posted:

I have this impression, though I probably couldn't back it up, that the short takes place after the miniseries, which will wrap up with Stark back in the good graces of the government, the SSR still not having a clue that Carter is the badass agent she is, and Stark getting the idea to put her in charge of SHIELD.

EDIT: Beaten, but it makes sense to me.

You know, I forgot the short ends with Stark proposing a partnership in SHIELD. So I guess that kind of guarantees that this takes place before, if that short counts for anything at all.

Timett posted:

She already thinks she's "toxic." Next step for her is to start trusting people and herself more. Crutches guy seems okay, Jarvis seems to be keeping something from her but likely has her interests at heart...

Killing off another friend would just be bad storytelling... until maybe next season if we get one :)

Let's hope they don't let comic book writers or people who like comic writing anywhere near the show then.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

achillesforever6 posted:

I have the feeling crutches guy isn't really a cripple someone take that crutch from him and he'll be walking perfectly!!!

He mentioned that he's physically missing a leg and not just vaguely "crippled." Which I have to imagine is something that is pretty easy to spot.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Is that Farva complaining about a BLT? Everybody is in this

EDIT: and a living Jarvis haha

EDIT2: BUBBLES?

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jan 7, 2015

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

muscles like this? posted:

He mentioned that he's physically missing a leg and not just vaguely "crippled." Which I have to imagine is something that is pretty easy to spot.

Hydra leg cloaking tech

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Hydra leg cloaking tech

Project Legasus

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I really hope Agent Carter does well ratings-wise so the character gets her own 40s comic line. I would buy that so hard. It'd fit well on the shelf right next to the recent Dynamite versions of The Shadow and Doc Savage.

e: AV Club gave it an A- if anyone cares.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
Agent Carter is a good show, and god drat Haley Atwell is gorgeous.

edit: 7 parts? Aww, this could easily stand up for multiple seasons. Hopefully it's just one of those "small first season" things until an eventual renewal.

berserker fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jan 7, 2015

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

berserker posted:

Agent Carter is a good show, and god drat Haley Atwell is gorgeous.

edit: 7 parts? Aww, this could easily stand up for multiple seasons. Hopefully it's just one of those "small first season" things until an eventual renewal.

Her Black Mirror episode is pretty good if anybody needs any more convincing to watch that show.

I like the idea of a shorter contained series every year while Shield is on hiatus. Every show doesn't need to be 20 episodes.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Timett posted:

Her Black Mirror episode is pretty good if anybody needs any more convincing to watch that show.

I like the idea of a shorter contained series every year while Shield is on hiatus. Every show doesn't need to be 20 episodes.

Yeah it's my second favorite of the BM episodes. She's really good.

I also agree that it's fine to be shorter seasons. I just hope they actually give it more than one season, because it's really cool and I'd love to see it come back in the future.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Agent Carter owns. I feel like the benefit of coming after Shield had time to find its way and tempo (and fumble and pick itself back up) most likely helped a lot with development of this show. Absolutely love the look of the show, both in design and production. The movie scenes integrated perfectly with the footage and oddly this feels even more lock step with the MCU then Shield did initially.

Also Jarvis is fantastic....among many other things on the show.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jan 7, 2015

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah, it looks like Marvel may have learned a valuable lesson with SHIELD that mandating a 22 episode season "just because" doesn't do anybody any good. Even the upcoming Netflix Daredevil series is only 13 episodes long, and you can be drat sure that's not because Marvel has less faith in it than they do in Agents of SHIELD.

Sure, I'd rather have 13 great episodes of Agent Carter than just 8 great episodes. But if what they actually did is pack 13 episodes worth of content into 8 super dense, action packed episodes with all the fat trimmed out and all the "wheel-spinning" just tossed onto the cutting room floor, then hell, that's great.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

feedmyleg posted:

I really hope Agent Carter does well ratings-wise so the character gets her own 40s comic line. I would buy that so hard. It'd fit well on the shelf right next to the recent Dynamite versions of The Shadow and Doc Savage.

e: AV Club gave it an A- if anyone cares.

Operation SIN comes out tomorrow. It's a '50s book with Peggy and Howard Stark.

http://marvel.com/comics/issue/52313/operation_sin_2015_1

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
The diner girl is Alex from Nikita :swoon:

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

XboxPants posted:

Yeah, it looks like Marvel may have learned a valuable lesson with SHIELD that mandating a 22 episode season "just because" doesn't do anybody any good.

ABC mandated that, not Marvel. Not how the TV business works.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Barry Convex posted:

ABC mandated that, not Marvel. Not how the TV business works.

Sorry, the way I wrote that didn't make any sense, I wasn't trying to imply that Marvel made up the 22-episode rule or anything. It was ABC's mandate, you're right, but surely Marvel went into the production knowing ABC would order a normal length season. Marvel didn't come up with the idea, but they signed off on it.

And now they've moved their major productions to Netflix where they do have the freedom to pretty much make up whatever kind of episode & season structure they feel like. I'm sure that's not the only reason the Defenders series are moving to Netflix, but it's one nice benefit.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

XboxPants posted:

Yeah, it looks like Marvel may have learned a valuable lesson with SHIELD that mandating a 22 episode season "just because" doesn't do anybody any good. Even the upcoming Netflix Daredevil series is only 13 episodes long, and you can be drat sure that's not because Marvel has less faith in it than they do in Agents of SHIELD.

Sure, I'd rather have 13 great episodes of Agent Carter than just 8 great episodes. But if what they actually did is pack 13 episodes worth of content into 8 super dense, action packed episodes with all the fat trimmed out and all the "wheel-spinning" just tossed onto the cutting room floor, then hell, that's great.

Aren't all Netflix original series 10-13 episodes long? HBO also only does 10 for GoT. Generally speaking, when you aren't making a show that will sell commercials (because there are no commercial breaks on the network) you tend to make fewer episodes as a matter of cost effectiveness. You can't string people along for ratings or sweeps on Netflix, its all about selling subscriptions. It has not thing to do with quality really, its all economics

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Though the end result is that you do generally end up with a better quality:filler ratio. Lost improved significantly once they shortened the seasons because they didn't have to waste 45 minutes a week on inane poo poo like Jack's tattoos.

I can't think of the last drama I watched where I felt that the whole 22 episode season was justified. In fact, most of the recent dramas I've really enjoyed only have 10-13 episode seasons. The only two exceptions I can think of are Person Of Interest and Arrow, which I generally let build up into 5 episode lumps and then bingewatch at once so that the filler episodes aren't quite so... obvious, I guess.

On the other hand, having a too short season can be disappointing. Series 2 and 3 of Luthor were a bit weaker than series 1 in my opinion because there wasn't any breathing time to explore Luthor's character--he basically got downgraded to "vaguely suspicious impulsive supercop" with none of the moral ambiguity that the first season had that made the show so drat good.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jan 7, 2015

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

Aren't all Netflix original series 10-13 episodes long?

Usually, but it varies; a quick look on wikipedia shows seasons of 4, 5, 6, 8, and 15 episode length have all been done.

Agent Carter itself is proof that not all ABC series need to be 13/22 episodes long, but I still get the feeling that online networks give you more freedom. I haven't read any of the behind the scenes guidelines or anything, but just based on things like interviews with show creators and such they really sing praises of how much more structural flexibility they have.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
While I know Mrs. Jarvis didn't exactly need to be cast, her not appearing makes me wonder if there's more to Jarvis himself. Obviously he could be human, but we did see Dr. Phineas Horton's Synthetic Man in Captain America 1... And Vision via J.A.R.V.I.S is a part of Age of Ultron... Jarvis has to be home every night (to recharge)?..

Possibly but not possibly Stark got ahold of him and uploaded a new personality onto Horton's failed project? Something which is then dusted off again years later in Ultron? It could all logically fit and would be pretty awesome if true, but I'm not sure if they would go there or not. As it is now, he's just an awesome polite gentleman. The kind which would probably inspire the young Tony if the elder Jarvis was still around to take care of him in place of his lovely absent father.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I think Jarvis is human and probably winds up being the Jeeves to Tony Stark's Wooster as a kid.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

XboxPants posted:

I'm starting to think that whoever suggested "Mom Heart Tattoo" for the symbol may actually be right. I've been trying to look up the rest of the symbols Carter is looking at, and the closest things I've found have just been the bullshit mish-mashes of "ancient symbols" you find on tattoo websites. I wonder if she's looking through a tattoo book.

It's a symbol for "Loves Whips". Leviathan is Vanko.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
For those loving Atwell she was also in another great period spy show a few years ago. A BBC two part mini:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restless_%282012_miniseries%29
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnkWCv0BImo

Highly recommended.

• Locked thread