Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

bhsman posted:

Pretty sure Obzedat got away with exactly this when Ravnica was still legal.

Wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

bhsman posted:

Pretty sure Obzedat got away with exactly this when Ravnica was still legal.

Technically what happened with Obzedat was that it was put into the exile zone via its own trigger, thus fulfilling Whip's requirement of exiling Obzedat. But Obzedat's trigger allows it to come back. Lightning Shrieker would definitely get exiled. Whip specifically says that it gets exiled instead of going into any other zone.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Ghost Ride the Whip was an archetype.

EDIT:

qbert posted:

Technically what happened with Obzedat was that it was put into the exile zone via its own trigger, thus fulfilling Whip's requirement of exiling Obzedat. But Obzedat's trigger allows it to come back. Lightning Shrieker would definitely get exiled. Whip specifically says that it gets exiled instead of going into any other zone.

Oh hey, a much better answer. Thanks for pointing out the distinction.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I don't think Alesha is close to good enough to make people play R in the whip decks. She does nothing when she comes into play and just a 3/2 FS for 3 in standard is really really bad and she has to attack to be worth any vaule. The cards people are splashing for in whip decks (Rhino and Treasure cruise/Distainful Stroke) are SOOOOO much more powerful.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

I wonder what happens if you throw this in Soul Sisters.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

First Bass posted:

I wonder what happens if you throw this in Soul Sisters.

It becomes a really bad card.

Unlike in standard where it is a really good card.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

TheKingofSprings posted:

Unlike in standard where it is a really good card.

It is? (Ignoring the prevalence of Erase)

Any precedent for this kind of card?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Rinkles posted:

No, its bad. Paying 3W to manifest bad unless you have infinite mana to pay for 2/2s with no abilities beyond paying even more mana to make them potentially something else.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I know that card! But I don't know how it faired in constructed.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Rinkles posted:

I know that card! But I don't know how it faired in constructed.

It was a great control finisher.

Angry Grimace posted:

No, its bad. Paying 3W to manifest bad unless you have infinite mana to pay for 2/2s with no abilities beyond paying even more mana to make them potentially something else.

Yeah I guess control decks that have counterspells are never a thing or anything like that

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
Is that really better enough than Heliod to get played?

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Did Heliod see much play? I don't think this is much better than Heliod, although the occasional demanifest-and-flip could be cool.

vvv EDIT: Yeah, Mobilization was a brutal finisher in an era when creatures sucked and planeswalkers did not exist.

LordSaturn fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jan 7, 2015

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I'm pretty sure Elspeth is the better control finisher still.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Attorney at Funk posted:

LordSaturn posted:

Did Heliod see much play? I don't think this is much better than Heliod, although the occasional demanifest-and-flip could be cool.

Heliod was awful in no small part due to how much he cost.

You can drop this turn 2 and sit on it for the rest of the game, and if you draw it late, you can play it and immediately make a token.

There's a world of difference.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Attorney at Funk posted:

Once again, great in limited.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

TheKingofSprings posted:

It was a great control finisher.

Yeah I guess control decks that have counterspells are never a thing or anything like that

I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at - you're saying control with counters would PLAY this or you'd play it against them? Because either sounds suspect. Control is a pretty minor archetype in the current standard and even if it was extra good, there are very few decks that would be cool with paying 3W just to make them uncounterable. If you're trying to say Control would PLAY this, then I don't know what to tell you. No they wouldn't.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jan 7, 2015

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Heliod tokens get blanked by: LITERALLY EVERY OTHER TOKEN IN STANDARD AND DOOMWAKE GIANT.

Morph tokens don't.

The math is super hard dudes.

Toshimo fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jan 7, 2015

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Samael posted:

Alesha, Who Smiles at Bees.

alesha, who smiles at death(touch)

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

LordSaturn posted:

vvv EDIT: Yeah, Mobilization was a brutal finisher in an era when creatures sucked

Sounds perfect for this one, then

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

a card that lets you create a dude every turn with little to no opportunity cost in the mid to lategame is pretty good in this draft format, if FRF/KTK/KTK is anything like KTK/KTK/KTK. however, when the board stalls out it's often because it's cluttered with huge dudes, sometimes with lifelink, so getting a bunch of 2/2s isn't the best. I'd like to see how that plays out.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

a card that lets you create a dude every turn with little to no opportunity cost in the mid to lategame is pretty good in this draft format, if FRF/KTK/KTK is anything like KTK/KTK/KTK. however, when the board stalls out it's often because it's cluttered with huge dudes, sometimes with lifelink, so getting a bunch of 2/2s isn't the best. I'd like to see how that plays out.

These are better than just 2/2s, though. It's basically "3W: Draw a card, if it's a noncreature, discard it and you get a 2/2." so this will break the stall pretty easily if your deck is any good by allowing you to dig through your deck for your bomb or finisher. Also just hitting any random crappy creature during a stall will gain you a ton of life thanks to it's trigger. I think this card will be quite strong in limited.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Ojetor posted:

These are better than just 2/2s, though. It's basically "3W: Draw a card, if it's a noncreature, discard it and you get a 2/2." so this will break the stall pretty easily if your deck is any good by allowing you to dig through your deck for your bomb or finisher. Also just hitting any random crappy creature during a stall will gain you a ton of life thanks to it's trigger. I think this card will be quite strong in limited.

I don't think it was ever disputed this was good in limited. Some duder said it was good in Standard.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Looks to me like a random whatever card that won't see any constructed play. If you're building a deck, I don't know why you would put this in it over half a dozen better options, depending on the archetype.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
The decks that want a Mobilization effect don't play enough creatures to flip up using it to make it playable in Standard.

In a control deck, I actually think it's worse than the lovely black enchantment in M15 which makes 2/2s, because that one can at least filter bad draws. This one just makes 2/2s for 4 and will sometimes 'kill' good cards by turning them into morphs (Elspeth, End Hostilities, etc).

It'd be borderline playable in a white weenies deck, if Heliod (and Spear of Heliod) wasn't better there too.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Isn't draft gonna be FRF/FRF/KTK? That might chop down on the huge-dudes since most of what we've seen so far (aside from dragons) has been pretty small or just churns out colorless bears.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

redstormpopcorn posted:

Isn't draft gonna be FRF/FRF/KTK? That might chop down on the huge-dudes since most of what we've seen so far (aside from dragons) has been pretty small or just churns out colorless bears.

Not F/K/K? Double small set seems miserable.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Its K/K/F.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

Rinkles posted:

Okay nope, I heard wrong. It's gonna be FRF/KTK/KTK, then draft will rotate to Fate/Dragons, but I haven't seen what the format there will be. FRF/DTK/DTK might be weird, have they ever put a set mid-draft like DTK/FRF/DTK?

e: oh hey this was addressed like a week ago. http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/designing-your-fate-2014-12-29

quote:

The very first design decision made for Fate Reforged was "a small second set that's drafted BAA and CCB." That is, when Fate Reforged hits the shelf you will draft: Fate Reforged, Khans of Tarkir, Khans of Tarkir
When Dragons of Tarkir is released, you will draft: Dragons of Tarkir, Dragons of Tarkir, Fate Reforged

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

ungulateman posted:

This one just makes 2/2s for 4 and will sometimes 'kill' good cards by turning them into morphs (Elspeth, End Hostilities, etc).

Would you make this same argument if it flipped cards from the bottom of the deck instead?

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

ungulateman posted:

The decks that want a Mobilization effect don't play enough creatures to flip up using it to make it playable in Standard.

You're not supposed to flip them, just beat down with 2/2s. Also Scry is a thing.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

ungulateman posted:

This one just makes 2/2s for 4 and will sometimes 'kill' good cards by turning them into morphs (Elspeth, End Hostilities, etc).

do you understand probability at all

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Jabor posted:

Would you make this same argument if it flipped cards from the bottom of the deck instead?

But standard has scry and Courser right now... manifesting the top card of your deck is not like milling it. You can be expected to know whether or not you want to manifest the top card of your library.

That is to say, sometimes you will want to make one or two tokens, and doing so might get rid of the card you (think you) need.

Gensuki fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jan 7, 2015

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Oh, no! What if I mill all my cool cards to the yard? It's a shame there's no card in Standard to benefit me by having a graveyard full of cards. Woe is me.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Gensuki posted:

But standard has scry and Courser right now... manifesting the top card of your deck is not like milling it. You can be expected to know whether or not you want to manifest the top card of your library.

That is to say, sometimes you will want to make one or two tokens, and doing so might get rid of the card you (think you) need.

Scrying doesn't actually interact with Manifest. No one would keep a crap card on top just to turn it into a 2/2.

Courser works, but that means the deck has to be G/W, and I don't see this card being played in Abzan when those colors literally have too many good Standard staples to choose from right now.

And how are people seeing this as a mill card? The card isn't actually going to your graveyard.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

qbert posted:

Scrying doesn't actually interact with Manifest. No one would keep a crap card on top just to turn it into a 2/2.

Courser works, but that means the deck has to be G/W, and I don't see this card being played in Abzan when those colors literally have too many good Standard staples to choose from right now.

I mean...it is a crappy card you know you can sacrifice. If you know the top card of your deck is a land, wouldn't it make more sense to look back at your hand, see some cool manifest card and say "sure, let's get rid of that one"?

Then of course, the question becomes "are there any of those manifest cards worth playing" and the answer looks like no. Also, in constructed you probably wouldn't run any cards that "combo" with manifest since manifest is unreliable. Aside from lightform, none of the enchantments are playable unless they hit a creature...and even for lightform, that is mostly it being a unique effect in standard right now?

Gensuki fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jan 7, 2015

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

qbert posted:

And how are people seeing this as a mill card? The card isn't actually going to your graveyard.
What about the opposite, keeping a sweet card on top and electing not to manifest it.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Wadjamaloo posted:

What about the opposite, keeping a sweet card on top and electing not to manifest it.

Or keeping it on top if it's a creature and basically paying 4 or whatever to draw a card.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
From a value perspective it's probably correct to manifest blind and then play the scryland or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
Kheru spellsnatcher flips for 3U if it is manifested. Thousand winds for 4UU. Are there other similar cards that have lower casting cost than morph cost? Is this very relevant for constructed?

• Locked thread