Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Reinanigans posted:

Maybe Dragonball will get the Kai treatment next? :unsmith:

Didn't they do a series of OVA's that did basically that, redoing the series to be a lot faster?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Dragonball doesn't really need the Kai treatment. It's pacing is fine and most of the filler is pretty good.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Genocyber posted:

Dragonball doesn't really need the Kai treatment. It's pacing is fine and most of the filler is pretty good.

It could do with a Blu-ray release, though.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
There's an arcade machine system at the break room at work with a zillion games on it and one is some DBZ game from 1994. It's all in Japanese so I have no idea what's going on or what I'm actually doing, but it's Cell-era and you can be any of the Saiyans or Piccolo.. The screen is split vertically, and you just see the back of your character's upper torso and you get to punch the poo poo out of your opponent.. somehow. I'd imagine you fight Cell or someone after that, because the rounds were noted with Dragon Balls and I was only up to 5. I got to the point where I beat all the characters except for some shadow version of myself, but he mirrored every move you made except randomly where he'd sucker-punch you for half your health without giving a window of retaliation. I'd occasionally hit him a little but I don't know what I was doing to trigger it.

4/7 Dragon Balls, would punch again.

MastG
May 25, 2014

Genocyber posted:

I'd love it if they cleaned up the visuals since the show is almost 30 years old. Also I kind of disagree with you on the pacing, General Blue's part dragged on for way too long.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

New Leaf posted:

4/7 Dragon Balls, would punch again.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Can someone from the future please tell me when we get to the parts of DBM where Vegeto goes loving crazy and threatens to destroy all of the universes?

I really want to see that part.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Raxivace posted:

Can someone from the future please tell me when we get to the parts of DBM where Vegeto goes loving crazy and threatens to destroy all of the universes?

I really want to see that part.

After Ginyu gets his body.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

StrifeHira posted:

He "sorta" did, eventually. 16 was based on Gero's son, a Red Ribbon officer who died before the series began. One could speculate that the last shreds of humanity within the old man were hesitant to turn what was essentially his son into a remorseless, murderous killbot, even if it was in the name of Killing Son Goku. 16 had the potential to do the deed, but not so much the will.

Then again this is in retrospect, Toriyama rarely plans so far ahead (though once in a blue moon he legitimately does, see Kami and Piccolo Jr.).

That doesn't count since he came out with that a decade after the series was finished. Also It's hard to consider 16 not having the will when it's all he ever talks about besides birds and the only reason he doesn't try it when he gets the chance is because he's hugely outclassed in power at that point and faces an existential threat in the form of cell.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Bushmaori posted:

After Ginyu gets his body.

I want to see Ginyu switch bodies with Buu only to realize his power only swaps the primary personalies, and he now has millions of tiny voices from the millions of people Buu has absorbed whispering sweet madness into his ear.

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009

MastG posted:

I'd love it if they cleaned up the visuals since the show is almost 30 years old. Also I kind of disagree with you on the pacing, General Blue's part dragged on for way too long.

I actually think the visuals in Dragon Ball are better than the ones in Dragon Ball Z, for comparison watch the first episode of DBZ when it was still pretty much animated by the DB animation team and see how good it looks, now watch a random Buu episode...

furiouskoala
Aug 4, 2007

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

That doesn't count since he came out with that a decade after the series was finished. Also It's hard to consider 16 not having the will when it's all he ever talks about besides birds and the only reason he doesn't try it when he gets the chance is because he's hugely outclassed in power at that point and faces an existential threat in the form of cell.

He could have killed Goku before Goku used the Hyperbolic Time Chamber.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

In this post-Zorak society I think I can finally freely and confidently say that Doctor Slump was pretty good, and better than Dragonball Z.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

a cartoon duck posted:

post-Zorak society

oh no way, finally

RE: DBM

Cell is a good father

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Vegetto was my guy in Final Bout. His combos were sick and his specials fired off quicker than other characters, in a game that was kinda clunky and slow and bad.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

piccolo was my guy in budokai 3, an actually good game

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Endorph posted:

piccolo was my guy in budokai 3, an actually good game

Light grenade had the power of a two bar attack while only using half a bar when you used fuse with kami.

What I'm saying is same.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
So, I'm looking at attacks on the Dragon Ball Z Wiki and holy poo poo, do they just stick a name on every attack? Sometimes a generic energy blast is just a generic energy blast. :psyduck:

http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Burning_Storm

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jan 8, 2015

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

So, I'm looking at attacks on the Dragon Ball Z Wiki and holy poo poo, do they just stick a name on every attack? Sometimes a generic energy blast is just a generic energy blast. :psyduck:

The roster of the Tenkaichi series had some pretty deep pulls.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Burning_Storm
Most of these names come from the fighting games, yeah. Moves need names besides 'generic energy blasts,' so they come up with stuff. It's kind of funny when moves are named in games after quotes from the show, like Kid Gohan's 'leave my daddy alone!' headbutt in budokai, and then the dbz wiki refers to it as such in every article. "Raditz, heavily injured by Gohan's 'leave my daddy alone' rush..."

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Raditz's attacks being named after days of the week made no sense to me.

"DOUBLE SUNDAY!" "SATURDAY CRUSH!"

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Freakazoid_ posted:

Vegetto was my guy in Final Bout. His combos were sick and his specials fired off quicker than other characters, in a game that was kinda clunky and slow and bad.

Was he the one that had that OP-as-gently caress barrage of hits to the ground when you did Down, Forward, Punch? Or was that SSJ4 Goku? Was SSJ4 Goku even in the game or am I remembering wrong?

It's been over 10 years since I played that game, I barely remember anything anymore.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Was he the one that had that OP-as-gently caress barrage of hits to the ground when you did Down, Forward, Punch? Or was that SSJ4 Goku? Was SSJ4 Goku even in the game or am I remembering wrong?

It's been over 10 years since I played that game, I barely remember anything anymore.

SSJ4 Goku was a hidden character.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Raxivace posted:

The weirdest part of that is he has 'Black Monday' instead of the obvious 'Black Friday.'

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I used Vegeta because he was my favorite character.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Endorph posted:

The weirdest part of that is he has 'Black Monday' instead of the obvious 'Black Friday.'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Monday

Endorph posted:

Most of these names come from the fighting games, yeah. Moves need names besides 'generic energy blasts,' so they come up with stuff. It's kind of funny when moves are named in games after quotes from the show, like Kid Gohan's 'leave my daddy alone!' headbutt in budokai, and then the dbz wiki refers to it as such in every article. "Raditz, heavily injured by Gohan's 'leave my daddy alone' rush..."

The type of people who would make a Dragonball wiki (aka me as a 14 year old) are the kind of ridiculous sperglords that consider power levels gospel, so it doesn't surprise me that they have zero self awareness when it comes to that kind of thing.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The coolest thing to do with DBZ games is use Budokai to predict NCAA brackets

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Raxivace posted:

I actually liked the names of his attacks.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

Every day of the week has at least one "Black *day" associated with it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

fun story: i actually used to make dragon ball z budokai 3 tier lists on gamefaqs and argue over poo poo

every other day we'd get some dude telling us that broly was the best character in the game because his power was maximum, even though he had such huge muscles and such small arms that the game would sometimes glitch out and make him unable to hit people

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Endorph posted:

fun story: i actually used to make dragon ball z budokai 3 tier lists on gamefaqs and argue over poo poo

every other day we'd get some dude telling us that broly was the best character in the game because his power was maximum, even though he had such huge muscles and such small arms that the game would sometimes glitch out and make him unable to hit people

Who were you on gamefaqs

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Endorph posted:

I remember the glitching out and reading the Tier Lists but I never participated in the actual talking.

Broly versus Chaitzou forever.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Beef Waifu posted:

Who were you on gamefaqs
its been ages - something with 'dark' in the name i think? i'd have to go dig up the threads

i remember arguing cooler was the best character though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0UxavPyJl8

here's a cool combo vid

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Endorph posted:

its been ages - something with 'dark' in the name i think? i'd have to go dig up the threads

here's a cool combo vid

Holy poo poo. I didn't even know you could do real fighting game combos in Budokai 3 (e.g., dash cancels/transformation cancels/air juggles) outside the premade PPPE or PKPE combos.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It was developed by former Capcom and SNK staff, they know how to put combos in games.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Endorph posted:

here's a cool combo vid

http://youtu.be/n0UxavPyJl8?t=3m49s

recoome: rear end destroyer

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Watched the uncut version of Battle of the Gods tonight. The theatrical version was good, but these cuts really add to the overall movie, I think (and not just in that literal sense -- you know what I mean).

Holy poo poo, applauding Vegeta for being a good person? That was loving hilarious.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

Holy poo poo. I didn't even know you could do real fighting game combos in Budokai 3 (e.g., dash cancels/transformation cancels/air juggles) outside the premade PPPE or PKPE combos.
yeah, but if you'll notice after like ~30 hits you start doing literally 1 pixel per hit so a lot of these longer combos are just for show - the proration is really bad for superlong combos, so a lot of these are just for show

that's p. good, but my favorite is the one where super buu just clubs gohan in the back of the head over and over

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

my cat is norris posted:

Watched the uncut version of Battle of the Gods tonight. The theatrical version was good, but these cuts really add to the overall movie, I think (and not just in that literal sense -- you know what I mean).

Holy poo poo, applauding Vegeta for being a good person? That was loving hilarious.

I watched it last week for the first time, and I still don't understand why (super minor spoiler, just in case..) King Kai contacted Vegeta over someone like, say Piccolo- or why Piccolo couldn't eavesdrop on the conversation like he could with Goku, or why the Kami in Piccolo, or even Dende for that matter, didn't know something was up with Beerus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Because a party was going on and Vegeta was the only one who was separated from them on top of being the only one who has some familiarity with Beerus and galactic customs.

• Locked thread