Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I'm confused by the wireless power merger, Qi appears to have a larger but still pretty insignificant installed base, PMA seems to not only have larger more important and very commited partners but like zero market traction. So the merger means what? Are they committing to both standards, are the standards going to be merged with new chargers supporting both standards and one eventually being phased out? Or is there going to be a new incompatible but final standards that merges what I assume is mainly just a IP battle because otherwise who gives a gently caress what standard is being used if it works as far as consumers are concerned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Qi isn't involved, its the other two groups that are merging.

As for BLU, I have to laugh at that 5000mah battery phone having the buttons switched from the rest of the BLU line of phone being announced at the same time. Gotta be an error on one phone or another. The picture underneath big batter has the proper layout.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Three Olives posted:

I'm confused by the wireless power merger, Qi appears to have a larger but still pretty insignificant installed base, PMA seems to not only have larger more important and very commited partners but like zero market traction. So the merger means what? Are they committing to both standards, are the standards going to be merged with new chargers supporting both standards and one eventually being phased out? Or is there going to be a new incompatible but final standards that merges what I assume is mainly just a IP battle because otherwise who gives a gently caress what standard is being used if it works as far as consumers are concerned.

We don't really know what's going to happen with the actual technologies themselves yet until the merger happens.

Suffice it to say, none of the standards have a ton of traction in the market and the first one to make it ubiquitous is going to win. There's really no reason to root for any one right now outside of potentially making current chargers obsolete.

I will say though that having Intel in your corner is a very good thing.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

CLAM DOWN posted:

Goddammit why is the back button on the wrong side

It's a Moto G with a MediaTek SoC and a giant battery. And it won't get updates. The clown SoC is also going to burn up more of that big battery than a snapdragon would.

The Moto G gets updates, has the nice speakers, unofficial waterproofing and exceptional battery life.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

butt dickus posted:

The Moto G gets updates, has the nice speakers, unofficial waterproofing and exceptional battery life.

I'll argue that Lollipop hasn't gone OTA for the 2nd gen but I flashed it anyways and it runs like poo poo. Not that Blu phones are any better (except the ones that do run a Snapdragon), they still have some great devices if you choose other than a Moto G.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I would argue that Lollipop isn't really released and 'final' for any device yet.

There's been some evidence (people getting new devices and not being prompted to update to the latest) that all current OTAs are pulled and are awaiting 5.0.3.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I would argue that Lollipop isn't really released and 'final' for any device yet.

There's been some evidence (people getting new devices and not being prompted to update to the latest) that all current OTAs are pulled and are awaiting 5.0.3.

This would make sense, my mom's Nexus 5 is still stuck on 4.x, no prompt for update to Lollipop still. I figured it had been pulled.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Same deal with my Nexus 7, yeah.

knockout
Apr 27, 2014

my reputation's never been worse, so
Is there like an Android portable music device that isn't my mobile phone?

I use the Google Play Music subscription to listen to music and manage playlists. I know that I could download my library but I'm constantly updating my playlists and don't want to have to manually sync them on my PC (and don't think that I could without hitting the 2 download limit). I'm looking for a device on which I can sync my Google Play playlists and then go running or train with it. I'd rather not go train with my HTC One.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

deadlyrhetoric posted:

I use the Google Play Music subscription to listen to music and manage playlists. I know that I could download my library but I'm constantly updating my playlists and don't want to have to manually sync them on my PC (and don't think that I could without hitting the 2 download limit). I'm looking for a device on which I can sync my Google Play playlists and then go running or train with it. I'd rather not go train with my HTC One.

Pick up a cheap phone but don't put a sim card in it? Perhaps a Moto G.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Lblitzer posted:

I'll argue that Lollipop hasn't gone OTA for the 2nd gen but I flashed it anyways and it runs like poo poo. Not that Blu phones are any better (except the ones that do run a Snapdragon), they still have some great devices if you choose other than a Moto G.

Yeah, I'm at the point where I'd rather have a nice stable phone than BLEEDING EDGE SOFTWARE!!! It really sucked when my Moto G got an OTA to Lollilpop and I suddenly couldn't use maps and music together anymore without them kicking each other out of memory. I eventually gave up on the Moto G and bought my friends Galaxy s4 and I've been way happier even though it "only" has 4.4.

deadlyrhetoric posted:

Pick up a used Moto E from somewhere, throw an SD card in it, tell Google Music to store your music on the external card and boom.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

deadlyrhetoric posted:

There is now!
http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/5/7493145/new-sony-walkman-zx2-ces-2015
for $1200

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

drat, that's a sexy device. Price is steep, but crazy audiophiles have been known to throw away $500 on "premium" cables or some poo poo sooooo

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
1200 bucks for what amounts to a phone without a cellular antenna is insane to me but yeah, music junkies toss gobs of money at "high end" stuff like its going out of style.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Maker Of Shoes posted:

1200 bucks for what amounts to a phone without a cellular antenna is insane to me but yeah, music junkies toss gobs of money at "high end" stuff like its going out of style.

It has a high quality DAC, which is the major draw. It's still overpriced as hell though.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Yeah, I'm at the point where I'd rather have a nice stable phone than BLEEDING EDGE SOFTWARE!!! It really sucked when my Moto G got an OTA to Lollilpop and I suddenly couldn't use maps and music together anymore without them kicking each other out of memory. I eventually gave up on the Moto G and bought my friends Galaxy s4 and I've been way happier even though it "only" has 4.4.

That's pretty much what I did, bought a Droid Maxx from another goon, I definitely miss using Motorola's always on voice and active notifications.

knockout
Apr 27, 2014

my reputation's never been worse, so
Thanks for the suggestions - it sounds like an armband for my phone is the least expensive way forward.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Hace posted:

It has a high quality DAC, which is the major draw. It's still overpriced as hell though.

And underspeced. 128gb of storage at that price point is insane. If they shoved 512gb in there so that I could plausibly go mobile with my entire FLAC collection, then maybe it would be vaguely interesting. I get that once you select the right codec and bit rate, lossy compression sounds so good that I probably couldn't pick it out in a double-blind test, but I'd pay a few hundred bucks for a media player if it meant I could stop having to recode my FLACs to AAC. Easy management would add value but I think I'd max out at $800 for a 512gb player, and at that price I'd still be embarrassed to tell anyone that I bought it.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Pulled the trigger on a Moto Maxx, so now I need a wireless charging station. Recommendations? I know Tylt had a half-off sale on the Vu a while back, but I neglected to jump on it at the time.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

isndl posted:

Pulled the trigger on a Moto Maxx, so now I need a wireless charging station. Recommendations? I know Tylt had a half-off sale on the Vu a while back, but I neglected to jump on it at the time.

You mean the Droid Maxx? The Tylt is the most popular among goons. I had a Nokia wireless base with my old Lumia that worked with anything else that could do it (including a Nexus 5).

Edit: Doh, forgot the Moto Maxx is the international variant of the Droid Turbo.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

deadlyrhetoric posted:

TraderStav posted:

Pick up a cheap phone but don't put a sim card in it? Perhaps a Moto G.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Pick up a used Moto E from somewhere, throw an SD card in it, tell Google Music to store your music on the external card and boom.

For running the Moto E is probably the smallest non-poo poo device I can think of off hand.

Or search ebay for a phone you want with "Bad ESN". You can also find a prepaid phone with a MicroSD slot (none of the cheap ones will have more than 8GB of space) and possibly buy that for cheap.

edit: FWIW, I went with a Sharp Aquos Crystal as a media player. Available on ebay for < $75 w/ bad ESN, better specs than the Moto G, and a microSD slot. It might be a little big for running though.

butt dickus posted:

Moto G battery life is acceptable, but certainly not "exceptional" by any means. The 2nd generation are even worse (bigger screen, same battery).

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 6, 2015

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Moto G battery life is acceptable, but certainly not "exceptional" by any means. The 2nd generation are even worse (bigger screen, same battery).
My mistake, I was thinking of the 2013 version, which did have really great battery life.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
I got a Note 4 since my S4's charging port died out and wireless charging is too slow. The Note 4 is amazing. The screen is so crisp and vivid, it just pops. It also gets insanely bright. The camera is great in low light and the video with OIS is really good. It smooths out any shake from your hand really well. The camera is the best I've ever used on Android. Touchwiz is still poo poo but it looks better in the 4 and seems to be toned down a bit. Hopefully Lollipop will come in 2-3 weeks.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

5436 posted:

I got a Note 4....
Hopefully Lollipop will come in 2-3 weeks.

Hahah, keep dreaming, buddy!

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

5436 posted:

I got a Note 4 since my S4's charging port died out and wireless charging is too slow. The Note 4 is amazing. The screen is so crisp and vivid, it just pops. It also gets insanely bright. The camera is great in low light and the video with OIS is really good. It smooths out any shake from your hand really well. The camera is the best I've ever used on Android. Touchwiz is still poo poo but it looks better in the 4 and seems to be toned down a bit. Hopefully Lollipop will come in 2-3 weeks.

Considering Lollipop's current state, I wouldn't count on it.

WindmillSlayer
Oct 16, 2013

lol nvm

WindmillSlayer fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jan 7, 2015

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

BoyBlunder posted:

Lollipop isn't worth it, anyway. At least not right now.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

WindmillSlayer posted:

No idea if this is the right place to ask but eh

How do I go about updating Liquidsmooth? I think im on 2.4 and its up to 2.10 or something now.

Samsung galaxy s3, btw

Custom ROMs are a Rooted Thread matter.

WindmillSlayer
Oct 16, 2013

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Custom ROMs are a Rooted Thread matter.

note my edit and Step Off

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

5436 posted:

Hopefully Lollipop will come in 2-3 weeks.

Lollipop is the first time you should be hoping your phone doesn't get updated.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Lollipop has been fine on all my current devices. My only complaint has been dumb volume controls.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

deadlyrhetoric posted:

Both Sony and Samsung have/had such offerings. However, none sold well as they were expensive as poo poo and didn't get any support or major updates. Next to it you have a ton of cheap Chinese offerings. As other said, a cheap phone/tablet would be the best choice.

LastInLine posted:

Lollipop has been fine on all my current devices. My only complaint has been dumb volume controls.

Same. I have Lollipop on 4 devices and don't have any issues, except the things which weren't thought out like the volume controls. Which still work, just in a stupid way.

Decius fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jan 7, 2015

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

What? Lollipop is amazing. It's the first time I've thought Android has better style than iOS. You guys are bonkers.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Reverse Centaur posted:

What? Lollipop is amazing. It's the first time I've thought Android has better style than iOS. You guys are bonkers.

:agreed:

My 2012 Nexus 7 works pretty rad with it on 5.0.2 (and also shed an annoying restart bug I never managed to work around v:shobon:v) and it's the first thing that's made me feel pressure to upgrade from my Galaxy S3.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

A lot of people got soured on lollipop because it's initial release was very buggy, and then it was delayed for weeks on a lot of Google devices, defeating one of the key selling points of buying a Google device in the first place, having the latest version of Android as soon as it's available.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Sir Unimaginative posted:

My 2012 Nexus 7 works pretty rad with it on 5.0.2
5.0.2 though. That's kind of the point, isn't it? Many of the devices that were 'lucky' enough to get L early were pushed 5.0 OTA. Lots of people have reported issues with 5.0 on various devices. My GF's 2012 Nexus 7 became almost unusable after receiving 5.0 OTA over a month ago. The first update since then is just now rolling out OTA. I would not feel bad about being late to the Lollipop party, avoiding all the 5.0 issues.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Yeah, 5.0 reduced my tablet (Also a 2012 Nexuz 7) to basically worthless, I'm not exactly champing at the bit to get Lollipop on my phone.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

I said come in! posted:

Lollipop is the first time you should be hoping your phone doesn't get updated.

Just today I wished my N5 had stayed on KitKat because lollipop (5.0.1) has been poo poo. Looks great but still feels like it has a big memory issue.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

SB35 posted:

Just today I wished my N5 had stayed on KitKat because lollipop (5.0.1) has been poo poo. Looks great but still feels like it has a big memory issue.

Also N5, and I've noticed a little lagging but nothing major, I definitely prefer it to KitKat on the whole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

BoyBlunder posted:

I thought 5.0 was already out in some EU countries like Poland?