Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

melon cat posted:

I've always felt the same way about minigames. I don't mind having them in a game as a 100% optional distraction, but when the developer forces you to play them as part of the regular game playthrough (I'm looking at you, Red Dead Redemption and GTA 5) it does get irritating.

I'm so loving done with poker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Austrian mook posted:

I've put over a hundred hours into Fallout: New Vegas over the years but I still don't know how to play caravan.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

melon cat posted:

I've always felt the same way about minigames. I don't mind having them in a game as a 100% optional distraction, but when the developer forces you to play them as part of the regular game playthrough (I'm looking at you, Red Dead Redemption and GTA 5) it does get irritating.

This was responsible for a decent number of low scores for one of my favorite games. NIER had a fishing minigame early on you had to do once. Follow the quest marker like you had been up until then, fish and then go home. You could even fail it three times and they'd give you the item and let you ignore it forever from then on. But a lot of reviewers just could not get their heads around this mini game for some reason and gave the game an abysmal score for it, instead of the medicore score it would have gotten otherwise.

Power_of_the_glory
Feb 14, 2012

Sleeveless posted:

I've put over a hundred hours into Fallout: New Vegas over the years but I still don't know how to play caravan.

Can't be any worse than Tetra Master or Triple Triad. In general, I hate all forced "optional" minigames. FF7 snowboarding game was atrocious.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Supeerme posted:

What dragging Game Dev Tycoon down is the fact that the review scores are directly based on your previous games score. This means a 8/10 game will make your next game into a 5/10 even if it have the very latest design technology and all the the very best game developers as well. So the only way to get high scores is to poo poo out poo poo games for a while so the next game will be getting 10/10. It also annoying how you have to start in 1985 every time you start the game. I want to start at anytime I want!

What? I don't remember that being the case. I remember at one point getting like three 10/10 games in a row.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Power_of_the_glory posted:

Can't be any worse than Tetra Master or Triple Triad. In general, I hate all forced "optional" minigames. FF7 snowboarding game was atrocious.

Look at you. Look at how wrong you are.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Power_of_the_glory posted:

Triple Triad is fine if you make sure to never import rules from other regions. Once you start having games that work on a combination of random/plus/same/combo rules you tend to start losing frequently when the computer pulls off some bullshit that flips the entire board in their favor on the final turn.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Austrian mook posted:

What's wrong with poker?!

Also, Pazaak sucked.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Also, Pazaak sucked.

19, guess I'll stand

*AI gets a natural 20*

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nuebot posted:

This was responsible for a decent number of low scores for one of my favorite games. NIER had a fishing minigame early on you had to do once. Follow the quest marker like you had been up until then, fish and then go home. You could even fail it three times and they'd give you the item and let you ignore it forever from then on. But a lot of reviewers just could not get their heads around this mini game for some reason and gave the game an abysmal score for it, instead of the medicore score it would have gotten otherwise.

How can you expect them to figure out they needed to move 5 feet away to a different beach?

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

Sleeveless posted:

If a developer feels the need to put in a game of skill of their own invention, or one that is super obscure, they really shouldn't have the rules be given to you through the normal dialogue tree, from one NPC. Please at least show pictures of the game at the same time, if you can't craft a tutorial scenario for it. I don't care if your explanation is thorough, I need to be seeing something for it to mean anything to me.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Red Minjo posted:

If a developer feels the need to put in a game of skill of their own invention, or one that is super obscure, they really shouldn't have the rules be given to you through the normal dialogue tree, from one NPC. Please at least show pictures of the game at the same time, if you can't craft a tutorial scenario for it. I don't care if your explanation is thorough, I need to be seeing something for it to mean anything to me.
Definitely. And a lot of developers include minigames and pitch it as one of the game's "features"... but then they never bother providing a proper, thorough explanation of how said minigame is played. Which is exactly what Obsidian did with Caravan in FO:NV. When this sort of thing happens, it just makes it look like they tossed in the minigames as an afterthought just to add a superficial amount of padding to the game.

melon cat has a new favorite as of 15:40 on Jan 7, 2015

Snyderman
Feb 23, 2005

Your Gay Uncle posted:

How can you expect them to figure out they needed to move 5 feet away to a different beach?

It turns out you can have bad design in addition to a terrible game journalist! The game should have had you fish where you got the rod but the reviewer also should have continued following the big red X on the map like they had been doing for a few hours at that point.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.

Sleeveless posted:

My caravan experience was choosing a deck, and then not being able to do anything but discard cards and then I lost. I read through the instructions despite my eyes glazing over and I still couldn't figure out how to make a deck that doesn't just discard itself.

At least it's optional, I guess.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Snyderman posted:

It turns out you can have bad design in addition to a terrible game journalist! The game should have had you fish where you got the rod but the reviewer also should have continued following the big red X on the map like they had been doing for a few hours at that point.

I'm trying to remember - wasn't part of the problem that the fishing instructions in-game in NieR were flat-out wrong?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

I'm trying to remember - wasn't part of the problem that the fishing instructions in-game in NieR were flat-out wrong?

Poorly explained, more than flat out wrong, as I recall.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

People started fishing at the pro-fisher pier where only sharks swim instead of the intended shallow-beach 10m from there.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Game Dev Tycoon, seemingly, has its gaming history locked, leading to some inadvertent metagaming happen because you know System X is always going to do better than System Y.

Of all games, Farming Simulator 15 can be really annoying to do basic farm tasks (sowing, harvesting, etc) if you're trying to maximize your field(s). It sure looks like you're harvesting in a straight line, but either you weren't or your harvester has a penchant for going a half-foot to the left here, or a foot to the right there. It's spergy to be annoyed by this, don't get me wrong, but still annoying.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Sleeveless posted:

I'm glad it's not just me, the last time I mentioned this everyone acted like it was the simplest game ever and how could I not understand it, but I really don't. I've tried reading tutorials but apparently Fallout nerds like to make explanations as convoluted as possible.

There's also dice poker from the Witcher 2. As far as I can tell there's a lot of luck involved in winning even if you know what you're doing. The best part is there are several quests (including a few of the main quests depending on who you side with) that depend on you (1) winning a game of dice poker against someone and (2) beating a gauntlet of people at poker beforehand for the "privilege" to play the quest NPC at all. I always have to save scum it so I don't run out of cash to bet.

And I swear the arm wrestling mini-game is going to break my analog stick someday. It also does the "you have to beat X number of people to play this guy" but at least any quests involved are purely optional or give you other solutions that don't cost 500 orens.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Xoidanor posted:

People started fishing at the pro-fisher pier where only sharks swim instead of the intended shallow-beach 10m from there.

Nah, the beach that was visible from the guy who gave you the rod and told you to fish at the beach was the pro-fisher beach. The correct beach was across town through some tunnel. I actually didn't even know there were quest markers up until that point. The game wasn't that big so if you were told go to the lighthouse or go to the tavern you could find the thing pretty easily just wandering around. In addition to that NPC being placed in a stupid location the fishing minigame also sucked pretty hard (surprise!).

ScratchAndSniff
Sep 28, 2008

This game stinks
Any gambling in video games is terrible when save/load is an option. Do developers really expect players to not save scum?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

ScratchAndSniff posted:

Any gambling in video games is terrible when save/load is an option. Do developers really expect players to not save scum?

I know in New Vegas if you reload a save after gambling, there's an "anti-cheating" timer that prevents you from playing the games again for something like 30 seconds or a minute. Which is just a minor annoyance and not enough to prevent anything so I don't know why they bothered.

With the dice poker, I only scummed that because I was losing so much that if I didn't I would be able to keep playing (since you have to bet to play) and I needed to win multiple matches in order to complete important quests. So it was either that or run out and pawn all my stuff for more gambling money, but gently caress that.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The Moon Monster posted:

Nah, the beach that was visible from the guy who gave you the rod and told you to fish at the beach was the pro-fisher beach. The correct beach was across town through some tunnel. I actually didn't even know there were quest markers up until that point. The game wasn't that big so if you were told go to the lighthouse or go to the tavern you could find the thing pretty easily just wandering around. In addition to that NPC being placed in a stupid location the fishing minigame also sucked pretty hard (surprise!).

I didn't get very far in Nier but I distinctly remember a popup saying "If you don't know where to go follow the red X marker on the minimap."

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Iirc that quest either doesn't have a marker or the terrain makes it very hard to see.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Mokinokaro posted:

Iirc that quest either doesn't have a marker or the terrain makes it very hard to see.

It didn't have a marker when I bitched about it earlier in the thread, and there was a kid fishing off the pier next to the old man. Those two are what caused me to spend 30 minutes fishing in the wrong spot.

fishing is still boring btw

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

ScratchAndSniff posted:

Are you saying that driving to the horse racing parlor really early in GTA San Andreas and putting literally all of your money on the 12-1 odds horse and continually reloading until you win, then doing it again to multiply your money by 144 and thus having more money than you'll ever need for the rest of the game might be considered cheating? Is that what you're saying?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Master Twig posted:

Are you saying that driving to the horse racing parlor really early in GTA San Andreas and putting literally all of your money on the 12-1 odds horse and continually reloading until you win, then doing it again to multiply your money by 144 and thus having more money than you'll ever need for the rest of the game might be considered cheating? Is that what you're saying?

That actually sounds like a ton of work to get money in a game where money becomes trivial in the first few hours of playing so I'm legitimately confused why anyone would actually do this.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

Who What Now posted:

That actually sounds like a ton of work to get money in a game where money becomes trivial in the first few hours of playing so I'm legitimately confused why anyone would actually do this.

You can buy savepoints for nontrivial amounts of money in that game so it's kind of useful to get those early on.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Inco posted:

It didn't have a marker when I bitched about it earlier in the thread, and there was a kid fishing off the pier next to the old man. Those two are what caused me to spend 30 minutes fishing in the wrong spot.

fishing is still boring btw

The stupidest part about the whole thing is after you do it the one time it never comes up the rest of the game. Like, you can go fishing, but you never really get a reason to and are probably busy doing a whole lot of other things.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

muscles like this? posted:

The stupidest part about the whole thing is after you do it the one time it never comes up the rest of the game. Like, you can go fishing, but you never really get a reason to and are probably busy doing a whole lot of other things.

not having fishing somehow spring up in the middle of a game sounds like a plus and not a negative.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Can we add Rhythm mini-games to the bad list? I'm not bad at them, but every single time I've seen one pop up in a game its either incredibly jarring, or kills the flow of the game completely. I'm looking at you Sly Cooper!

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Xoidanor posted:

It got me too. I think I tried at least 5-10 times before I realized something is very wrong and left.

Now a quest that I really hate in that game, and have yet to do it, is a quest where you have to grow some pink seeds by farming.
Wouldn't be such a pain if the game didn't do that stuff in real time so you have to wait half an actual day to see if you get lucky.

Also I have yet to find a game where I found farming to be fun.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

moosecow333 posted:

Can we add Rhythm mini-games to the bad list? I'm not bad at them, but every single time I've seen one pop up in a game its either incredibly jarring, or kills the flow of the game completely. I'm looking at you Sly Cooper!
That one in God Of War is pretty cool but I suck at rhythm games and it took me 20 tries to pass. Totally killed the flow.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Who What Now posted:

How would you sa-

Pidmon posted:

You can buy savepoints for nontrivial amounts of money in that game so it's kind of useful to get those early on.
Huh. I don't remember that being a thing. Where, how?

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

Xander77 posted:

How would you sa-
Huh. I don't remember that being a thing. Where, how?

That's what buying houses is for. Each house has a save point, and a closet (to play dressup) inside and some have garages to store houses.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

moosecow333 posted:

Not a rhythm game, but you reminded me of that God-drat flute in Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks.

Edit: Also just about everything else about Spirit Tracks...I kept going through the game, thinking that finally, this train upgrade is the one that will let me kill those demon trains, but nope...you can never kill them, only try to escape them. It made it a huge PITA anytime you traveled.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Kimmalah posted:

I know in New Vegas if you reload a save after gambling, there's an "anti-cheating" timer that prevents you from playing the games again for something like 30 seconds or a minute. Which is just a minor annoyance and not enough to prevent anything so I don't know why they bothered.

NV also did that with hacking. If you back out of the hacking minivans and try to access the computer again, the game would make the login "cutscene" unskippable. Which I guess is easier than making hacking more interesting/ less punishing.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Pidmon posted:

That's what buying houses is for. Each house has a save point, and a closet (to play dressup) inside and some have garages to store houses.
Oh. I thought more along the lines of FF7's freely deployable save point.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

scarycave posted:

Now a quest that I really hate in that game, and have yet to do it, is a quest where you have to grow some pink seeds by farming.
Wouldn't be such a pain if the game didn't do that stuff in real time so you have to wait half an actual day to see if you get lucky.n.

I will never stop being amazed by people that actually did the side quests in Nier. They are literally just there to make completionists suffer. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Xander77 posted:

How would you sa-

If you cant make ludicrous amounts of money in GTA you're probably either someone who's just woken up from a coma who has literally never seen a game before or you're mentally retarded.