Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

http://www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-explosion-rocks-naacp-building-in-colorado-20150106-story.html

I'll be damned. Has this been covered already here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Everyone over 30 remembers Bush II (and young people don't vote/vote more D than R anyway), and Jeb will basically be defending his brother's (long) legacy as well as his own. That is a basically impossible endeavour. Especially when the alternative is the now rosy, sepia tone perfect 1990s of the Clinton years.

Yeah, I don't have any numbers but the impression I get is definitely that people think the last time Hillary lived in the White House was a golden age. It's the kind of gut-level feeling that's very difficult to fight against, and the more aging Republicans try to bring up the B. Clinton administration (and they will), the more they'll feed that feeling.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

That lone wolf? Yeah, we wished he gets the mental health hope he deserves.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Aliquid posted:

Obviously a crazy person. Who knows what ideology, if any, motivated him to bomb the NAACP :shrug:

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

Aliquid posted:

I honestly can't wait for the GOP to start getting death threats so often that they can't focus on anything else.

It'll never happen, but... God, they deserve it.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

A Terrible Person posted:

I honestly can't wait for the GOP to start getting death threats so often that they can't focus on anything else.

It'll never happen, but... God, they deserve it.
All that would need to be done to have that come to pass would be if the progressives started to radicalize just as the tea party did.

As long as they don't go communist that is.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

uncurable mlady posted:

There isn't really a "youth vote", I'm not sure what any politician has to gain by pandering to people who don't even show the gently caress up.

There might be if they weren't ignored.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
In other NAACP news, they requested a new grand jury in the Michael Brown case.

quote:

Lawyers and other experts who analyzed grand jury transcripts for the fund raised concerns about the decision to allow a witness to provide false testimony, erroneous legal instructions to grand jurors, and "preferential treatment of Mr. Wilson by the St. Louis County Prosecuting Attorney's Office," said Sherrilyn Ifill, the fund's president.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

quote:

He may be driving a 2000 or older-model dirty white pick-up truck with paneling, a dark-colored bed liner, an open tailgate and a missing or covered license plate.
Oh no, that's definitely what he's driving, but good luck picking it out of a crowd out there, heh. They're just missing a description of the Obama bumper sticker with the hammer and sickle, the crying eagle window shade and the beer cans blowing around in the back.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
In case you didn't see it yet:

Its so perfectly Joe.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Its so perfectly Joe.

The Day of Awkward Kissing

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Is the Vice President using the scent glands in his face to mark that young woman? :stare:

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

effectual posted:

There might be if they weren't ignored.

They wouldn't be if they voted in the percentages of the elderly. My generation doesn't turn out, so we get tuned out. It's sad but absolutely understandable.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

PostNouveau posted:

The way his skin-color and hairline work together makes him look like Donkey Kong.

Also that bombing story should be much bigger news than it currently is. I hope it blows up today.

edit: Nope, 12 people dead in Paris because of Islamic terrorism, non-Islamic terrorism that doesn't actually kill anyone won't be making the news here, even if it did actually happen in this country. It did at least make Drudgereport, even if only as a one linker in the middle of the page.

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jan 7, 2015

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Tubgoat posted:

Is the Vice President using the scent glands in his face to mark that young woman? :stare:

Biden strikes me as more of a dog person than a cat person

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Stanos posted:

A lone wolf, a distressed individual, a personal failed by the mental health system. Why can't white people take responsibility for their own actions?

Why don't those race baiters O'Reilly and Limbaugh ever talking about the problem of violence in the white community?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Here is a gift for all of you: The Joe Biden Random Compliment Generator

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

Request thread title change to: US Pol January - It's a sexual congress now.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Its so perfectly Joe.

This is beyond loving awkward. C'mon, Joe.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Cigar Aficionado posted:

The only way Bush beats Hillary is if Obama's Presidency ends like Dubya's, with the economy crashing into the ocean. Jeb has Dubya's record to contend with, as well as his own 25+ years in the public eye. A mild recession is still better than Dubya's scorched earth economy, which fair or not is going to be what Jeb will be anchored with. Everyone over 30 remembers Bush II (and young people don't vote/vote more D than R anyway), and Jeb will basically be defending his brother's (long) legacy as well as his own. That is a basically impossible endeavour. Especially when the alternative is the now rosy, sepia tone perfect 1990s of the Clinton years.

And no, Ted Cruz doesn't have anything other than a "non zero" chance at winning. Actually it's probably zero. He's closer to Rick Santorum and Ben Carson than any of the top tier candidates. He's a clown.

Actually, GWB's popularity (like many other presidents) has improved since he left office.

I also think Jeb Bush will be able to focus on his tenure as governor coupled with playing into the disgruntlement of conservatives with the Obama presidency. Clinton/the Dems might try to tie Jeb to GWB, but also remember that GWB's tenure was mostly economically prosperous. The devil of timing left the poo poo on Obama's tenure while leaving GWB's relatively unscathed.

Now in terms of foreign policy Clinton might try to hammer home GWB's blunders but I think Jeb and the GOP as a whole is a lot less chickenhawkish now than they were under GWB/Cheney, so Jeb might be able to readily admit those mistakes, promise to keep us out of foreign issues to appeal to the cost-cutters/libertarians and call it a day.

Never underestimate how short-sighted Americans are.

EDIT:
Also I'm going to repost this article since I don't think we have a US Housing thread (or at least the first two pages of D&D didn't).

It seems like housing has fallen by the wayside in terms of political news these days... there's still the rise of renting, the rise of rent costs, but I was unaware that there was such deterioration, so widespread and at such a simultaneous pace.

And finally, 538 did an article on a recent economics gathering with several papers/findings that were interesting, such as:

quote:

... Economists have a long-standing debate about whether the EITC encourages people to work only until a point — the point where they can maximize its benefit — or work even beyond that threshold. Chetty was interested in whether being aware of the program made people more likely to exploit it, but found it didn’t...

quote:

In theory, the government could help spur entrepreneurship by making it less risky, perhaps by providing the equivalent of unemployment benefits for failed entrepreneurs. But while that would almost certainly encourage more people to start businesses, it’s less clear whether those businesses would succeed. After all, maybe the reason people are reluctant to become entrepreneurs is because they wouldn’t be very good at it... Antoinette Schoar and her coauthors tried to answer that question by taking advantage of a policy change in France that allowed unemployed people to start businesses without sacrificing their jobless benefits. Predictably, the number of startups jumped. Less predictably, those new businesses did just as well as those started before the policy change. The policy didn’t have much of an effect on overall employment: The new businesses created lots of jobs, but mostly at the expense of jobs elsewhere in the economy. Importantly, though, those new jobs were better paying and the new companies were more productive, meaning the change made the overall economy more efficient.

Amergin fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jan 7, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Amergin posted:

Actually, GWB's popularity (like many other presidents) has improved since he left office.

I also think Jeb Bush will be able to focus on his tenure as governor coupled with playing into the disgruntlement of conservatives with the Obama presidency. Clinton/the Dems might try to tie Jeb to GWB, but also remember that GWB's tenure was mostly economically prosperous. The devil of timing left the poo poo on Obama's tenure while leaving GWB's relatively unscathed.

Now in terms of foreign policy Clinton might try to hammer home GWB's blunders but I think Jeb and the GOP as a whole is a lot less chickenhawkish now than they were under GWB/Cheney, so Jeb might be able to readily admit those mistakes, promise to keep us out of foreign issues to appeal to the cost-cutters/libertarians and call it a day.

Never underestimate how short-sighted Americans are.

Hey our greatest political oracle predicted it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Rygar201 posted:

They wouldn't be if they voted in the percentages of the elderly. My generation doesn't turn out, so we get tuned out. It's sad but absolutely understandable.

And it's not even a recent thing - Boomers voted less often as 18-29 year olds than Millenials do now.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Apparently Ted Cruz met with mega funder Sheldon Anderson at the Capital Grille yesterday. Which isn't so much the news as is the fact that Dick Cheney was also there and may have been involved in setting it up, as Anderson has previously publicly dismissed Cruz and his chances

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Do you mean Sheldon Adelson or is there another mega rich sheldon I don't know about.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Do you mean Adelson or is there another mega donor named Sheldon?

Also, the Capitol Grille in Austin?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

I meant Adelson (a name the phone ap doesn't like) and the Capitol Grille as in the restaurant inside the capital building in Washington DC.

Also, apparently the man rides a rascal to get around

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Sharkie posted:

Obviously a crazy person. Who knows what ideology, if any, motivated him to bomb the NAACP :shrug:

I can't wait for the investigation to come to the conclusion that it wasn't racially motivated.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Stanos posted:

A lone wolf, a distressed individual, a personal failed by the mental health system. Why can't white people take responsibility for their own actions?

Boston bombing proved Caucasians aren't white when they do something bad :colbert: Your moved LIEberal

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fried Chicken posted:

I meant Adelson (a name the phone ap doesn't like) and the Capitol Grille as in the restaurant inside the capital building in Washington DC.

Also, apparently the man rides a rascal to get around

I was just wondering because Cruz was in Austin on Monday.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Phone posted:

I can't wait for the investigation to come to the conclusion that it wasn't racially motivated.

The FBI spokesperson is refusing to say if race was a factor, so we are already half way there

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Fried Chicken posted:

Apparently Ted Cruz met with mega funder Sheldon Anderson at the Capital Grille yesterday. Which isn't so much the news as is the fact that Dick Cheney was also there and may have been involved in setting it up, as Anderson has previously publicly dismissed Cruz and his chances

I thought dark pacts happen in shady basements and tunnels under graveyards.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Fried Chicken posted:

The FBI spokesperson is refusing to say if race was a factor, so we are already half way there

At this point I'm honestly sure that anything short of literally getting caught in a klan outfit or openly sieg hail ing will be called not racist. (hell even if they did that you'd still have people)

edit: He was crazy(not an excuse for the guy who shot 2 cops but it'll work here),it was because they were democrats etc

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

chitoryu12 posted:

This all just makes the white race as a whole look bad, you know.

Surely this isn't what Fred Rogers would've wanted.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

SirKibbles posted:

At this point I'm honestly sure that anything short of literally getting caught in a klan outfit or openly sieg hail ing will be called not racist. (hell even if they did that you'd still have people)

Reminder that the literal neonazi who shot up a Jewish center is not regarded as a racial attack because by chance all those he killed where Christian. Or that schmuck Elliot Rogers who wrote an anti women manifesto, tried to shoot up a sorority, but ended up killing more men than women so apparently he wasn't driven by misogyny

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Tender Bender posted:

Surely this isn't what Fred Rogers would've wanted.

We need to resurrect Fred Rogers and Carl Sagan to shame our country.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
Then there was that guy who shot up a Gurdwara because he thought they were Muslims. White right wing terrorists are exceptionally bad at hitting their intended targets.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fried Chicken posted:

Reminder that the literal neonazi who shot up a Jewish center is not regarded as a racial attack because by chance all those he killed where Christian. Or that schmuck Elliot Rogers who wrote an anti women manifesto, tried to shoot up a sorority, but ended up killing more men than women so apparently he wasn't driven by misogyny

Or the guy that crashed a plane into a government building as a political protest but that wasn't terrorism because he was white.

copper rose petal
Apr 30, 2013
Or the two in LV who shot and killed two cops, draped their bodies in Gadsden flag and a manifesto with swastikas on it, but they were democrats because they "got kicked out of the Bundy ranch".

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Amergin posted:

Yeah, but not by all that much and mostly because he basically vanished into a secure location and hasn't been heard of since. The more anyone talks about him the more that'll go plummeting down.

Fried Chicken posted:

...as they should, at this point in time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Its so perfectly Joe.

So perfect Joe is him channeling his inner Bill Clinton? That girl looks uncomfortable as hell and he looks like the typical creepy old guy that gets banned from going near schools.

• Locked thread