Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Since their apartment is the upstairs of the convenience store, it makes sense that their washer/drier would be in the kitchen. They might not even have an oven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

glitchwraith posted:

Is Max's dad even making breakfast? He's standing in front of the washer and dryer...
Though I suppose it could be a kitchen/laundry room combo.

How middle class do you have to be where having your washing machine be in the kitchen is a complete mindfuck rather than just what every single person you know does.

Or maybe it's an american thing? I see it in movies and video games and such a bunch and it's always weird to me when they have, like, the washing machine in the bathroom or something.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Prison Warden posted:

Or maybe it's an american thing?

I think it's that.

I'm not sure what's more weird to me, the idea that having the washing machine in the kitchen is out of the ordinary at all, or it and the drier being separate devices

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Most people I knew as a middle-class kid in rural Washington state had their washing machine and drier in a tiny room by the back door called the "laundry room" which had just enough space for the machines, a shelf for folding clothes, and usually all the house's cleaning supplies crammed into its corners.

But I've also seen houses/apartments with the machines in the bathroom, or in the kitchen, or in the garage, or in the basement, or in a random nook or closet in a central location. (Pretty sure I saw at least one example of each of those while desperately room-hunting in Seattle last month.) Honestly all those things seem to make the same amount of sense, in different ways.

(Also I've lived where you have to go out to a laundromat. Wasn't nearly as bad as I expected, and I think I actually procrastinated laundry less when I had to set aside a dedicated time to do it.)

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jan 6, 2015

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Ditocoaf posted:

Most people I knew as a middle-class kid in rural Washington state had their washing machine and drier in a tiny room by the back door called the "launcry room" which had just enough space for the machines, a shelf for folding clothes, and usually all the house's cleaning supplies crammed into its corners.

But I've also seen houses/apartments with the machines in the bathroom, or in the kitchen, or in the garage, or in the basement, or in a random nook or closet in a central location. (Pretty sure I saw at least one example of each of those while desperately room-hunting in Seattle last month.) Honestly all those things seem to make the same amount of sense, in different ways.

At least the laundry room isn't right next to the upstair bedrooms because that's totally what you want when you're trying to fall asleep, right?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Ditocoaf posted:

Most people I knew as a middle-class kid in rural Washington state had their washing machine and drier in a tiny room by the back door called the "launcry room" which had just enough space for the machines, a shelf for folding clothes, and usually all the house's cleaning supplies crammed into its corners.

Yeah, that's my experience in Brazil too. Most houses and apartments have a "laundry room" where the washing machine goes - it's usually minuscule, off to the side of the kitchen and exists in some form even in cheap buildings. I suppose it's cultural differences.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Prison Warden posted:

How middle class do you have to be where having your washing machine be in the kitchen is a complete mindfuck rather than just what every single person you know does.

Or maybe it's an american thing? I see it in movies and video games and such a bunch and it's always weird to me when they have, like, the washing machine in the bathroom or something.

As a Canadian, literally no one I know has a washing machine in the kitchen. They are basically always in the basement or in their own area. Where are you from?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Patrick Spens posted:

As a Canadian, literally no one I know has a washing machine in the kitchen. They are basically always in the basement or in their own area. Where are you from?

In the UK, the washing machine is a kitchen appliance. I mean, not actually used in cooking, just belongs in the kitchen.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Generally speaking you want the drier at least near an exterior wall for exhaust. The washer needs a water supply, so that is why it is usually vaguely near a bathroom or kitchen, since it's best to minimize the number of main water pipes. In apartments or cities with city water supplies this is less of a fast rule, and often in cities with city water they can be found in the basement on the same main pipe as an outdoor hose.

Don't think too hard about it, just think "what is near water supply and an exterior wall for exhaust?" and that is a fine place for a washer/dryer.

That said I personally always found it odd when they are in a kitchen just because for me carrying the laundry through a kitchen seems strange because I'm middle class as gently caress.

I drop my laundry through a hole in the floor of my bathroom then have the laundry machine in the basement.

Useless
Sep 13, 2003
I'm keeping three or four fingers crossed you get a buick up the ass before the night is over.

Tenebrais posted:

In the UK, the washing machine is a kitchen appliance. I mean, not actually used in cooking, just belongs in the kitchen.

I learned something today! As another Canadian, my washer/dryer combo are a stack in a recess in my closet, as it's a small apartment. Even if it was a larger apartment it'd be in a closet somewhere off the main hallway usually. Never kitchen for some reason.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Why would you want the laundry in the kitchen? your food and dirty clothes and chemicals seem like something you'd want to keep separate.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Yeah, I'm from the UK.

Paramemetic posted:

I drop my laundry through a hole in the floor of my bathroom then have the laundry machine in the basement.

That's not a nice way to talk about your mother.

You keep all your chemicals and such in a separate cupboard from your food. You don't keep your dirty laundry in the kitchen, you move it there when you have washing to do.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Why would you want the laundry in the kitchen? your food and dirty clothes and chemicals seem like something you'd want to keep separate.
The places with the most plumbing tend to be the bathroom(s) and the kitchen. So you either plumb an entire new room, or wash your dirty clothes where you eat, or dry your clean clothes where you poop.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Splicer posted:

The places with the most plumbing tend to be the bathroom(s) and the kitchen. So you either plumb an entire new room, or wash your dirty clothes where you eat, or dry your clean clothes where you poop.

I wash my clothes in the kitchen and eat on the sofa in the living room in front of the TV

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

Suaimhneas posted:

I think it's that.

I'm not sure what's more weird to me, the idea that having the washing machine in the kitchen is out of the ordinary at all, or it and the drier being separate devices
Huh, I guess I wasn't aware of that being a thing. Or if it's available around here, it's fairly uncommon. The closest I've seen is these stackable front loaded units.

It probably has more to do with more room to fit it in the floorplan. One of the common areas I've seen the laundry room is as a buffer room between the garage and the kitchen. Or it some cases, just the garage and the rest of the house. Some older homes even have a buffer room between the front door and the rest of the house. Though that's much less in newly built homes. Again, I think it's more a side effect of 'have a lot of land' and the old 'build a bunch of walls and compartmentalize every room' mentality that has fallen out of fashion.

Splicer posted:

So clearly the solution is to put the washing machine in the kitchen, and the dryer in the bathroom. That way everyone is equally unhappy.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Having the washer/dryer in the kitchen is pretty unheard of here. :australia: If you don't have a laundry room, they go in the bathroom. Although even in smaller places it's pretty common to at least have a laundry alcove off the bathroom, so it can share the plumbing but not actually be in the room.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

Rotten Cookies posted:

Max's dad. #1 mom.
I accidentally brought the page up, and noticed that shirt.

And of course went back to the thread to see if anyone mentioned it.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Actually #1 Mom is kind of concerning given their actual family circumstances. The least bad path to it I can imagine is that is a super old shirt from when their mom was still around and he never got rid of it and that's still a little iffy.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

reignonyourparade posted:

Actually #1 Mom is kind of concerning given their actual family circumstances. The least bad path to it I can imagine is that is a super old shirt from when their mom was still around and he never got rid of it and that's still a little iffy.

He killed her to usurp the title, obvs

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

reignonyourparade posted:

I imagine he wore it while the mom was alive and continued to wear it after she died so as to not be maudlin and try and keep an upbeat attitude for the children.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

If Max's dad was a question then somebody else already posted the answer. In the form of a question.

flatluigi posted:

Max's dad is Dan Ryckert?

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Glad I inspired a semi-interesting tangent, but I wanted to clarify I didn't think it was odd to have the laundry area in the kitchen, as even in middle class U.S. I've seen laundry alcoves in kitchens. I just realized while reading the update that we hadn't seen the rest of the room the washer and dryer where in, and it wouldn't be that out of character for Max's dad to involve eggs and milk in some kind of bizarre laundry alchemy. Didn't help that I first mistook the milk jug for bleach.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
What I want to know is, what part of the USA has convenience stores that are zoned to allow somebody to live on top of them?

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Rand Brittain posted:

What I want to know is, what part of the USA has convenience stores that are zoned to allow somebody to live on top of them?

I've seen plenty of older buildings who's ground floor are used for business, with apartment rooms for rent on the upper levels. Not to many are convenience stores, though the one my family used the most when I was a kid was built into the front of the owner's house. Granted, that was in rural Texas, so take that as you will.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Rand Brittain posted:

There are a couple of villages near me in NY that are like this.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

team overhead smash posted:

I imagine he wore it while the mom was alive and continued to wear it after she died so as to not be maudlin and try and keep an upbeat attitude for the children.

Also she bought it for him.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Man, I feel sorry for Max's Dad. He probably hardly understands his son on a good day, let alone now that he's a weird psychic.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Rand Brittain posted:

Most towns, pretty much every city

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Update

Spender and Isabel should've gotten their bites looked at, seems like.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Cool, it seems like spirit bites actually can be dangerous. Isabel really should do something about that.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Well, she probably will, considering that someone is getting cured by spirit bites right in front of her eyes and there is no reason not to check up on her as well.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

paradoxGentleman posted:

getting cured by spirit bites

Sounds about right.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Doctor Zarei is the best character in this comic that is a doctor.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Cool, it seems like spirit bites actually can be dangerous.

This is the opposite of what Dr. Zarei is saying though.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Tenebrais posted:

Doctor Zarei is the best character in this comic that is a doctor.

Is his title professor Starchman or mr Starchman?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I thought Zarei was a Ph.D, not an MD.

Sieje
Jun 29, 2004

My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes.

Mr. Lobe posted:

I thought Zarei was a Ph.D, not an MD.

She is. (Ph)antom (D)octor

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

You may notice she isn't utilizing conventional medicine. In fact, she may even be practicing without a license!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i wonder what the odds are of her having befriended the ghost train by pulling a thorn out of its metaphorical paw