Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

That Tony Hawk HD remake was such a crock of poo poo. I couldn't believe it when the physics were all different,,I thought it was just a reskin..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Static Rook posted:

Once this and Ultra come out on PS4, I'll just need Persona 4 Arena U to get ported and I'll be set. Will be nice to have all my fightmans on one system instead of switching between PS3 and PS4.

You know what would really own? A next-gen redo of P4A/P4AU in the Xrd engine.

Maybe we'll get a P5A like that.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

a cop posted:

That Tony Hawk HD remake was such a crock of poo poo. I couldn't believe it when the physics were all different,,I thought it was just a reskin..

I thought I'd just gotten incredibly lovely due to not playing any for several years for the first 30 minutes.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
PSN seems fine to me. Gonna turn insomnia into a First Light marathon.

Is Second Son that much worse? I mean like character wise. Cause I love the characters in First Light.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

precision posted:

PSN seems fine to me. Gonna turn insomnia into a First Light marathon.

Is Second Son that much worse? I mean like character wise. Cause I love the characters in First Light.

I feel Second Son but is different in two main regards:
- it's longer, so if a particular character does not strike your fancy, you're stuck for a number of hours
- Evil and Good Coles are really different and if you want your Platinum, you have to play both, but the story main story remains the same, often even with the same dialogues from NPCs, so it can feel somewhat incoherent

Personally, I felt as though it was a bit too long, so I welcome First Light's smaller scale.

Szurumbur fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Jan 7, 2015

Organs
Feb 13, 2014

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

also Tony Hawk talked a little bit about the new THPS game coming out for PS4. Hopefully it's not as bad as the HD remake.

i'd really love a classic arcadey tony hawk game with ridiculous levels, the absolute worst thing they can do with games like that is either push for realism or chase after stupid gimmicks. the last ssx game was close to perfect and i hope they do a new one for current gen consoles as well

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

BreakAtmo posted:

On another note, I haven't seen anything about the Data Bank posted yet, so:

http://au.ign.com/articles/2015/01/07/hands-on-nyko-data-bank

gently caress yes, finally a proper way to get a 2-4TB hybrid drive.
Ehhhh, if the device is $30-40, then the 2tb hard drive better be a lot less than $60-70 because you can just get a 2.5 drive for $100. Also, you don't have to have that gross black tumor on your system.

I have a 2tb drive and still am not even close to full capacity and I own way too many PS4 games (all installed currently), so there isn't really a need to go higher.

Werner-Boogle
Jan 23, 2009
First light isn't showing as free for me. I'm in Denmark, and when I go through checkout it wants me to pay for the game. I downloaded the swapper, so I am a PS+ member. What gives?

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Werner-Boogle posted:

First light isn't showing as free for me. I'm in Denmark, and when I go through checkout it wants me to pay for the game. I downloaded the swapper, so I am a PS+ member. What gives?

store is weird when it's updating. just wait and try later.

E: Actually, first light isn't showing at all on the ps+ page...

Attitude Indicator fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jan 7, 2015

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

JazzFlight posted:

Ehhhh, if the device is $30-40, then the 2tb hard drive better be a lot less than $60-70 because you can just get a 2.5 drive for $100. Also, you don't have to have that gross black tumor on your system.

I have a 2tb drive and still am not even close to full capacity and I own way too many PS4 games (all installed currently), so there isn't really a need to go higher.

Well the thing is that hybrids don't go above 1TB in the 2.5" form factor, and I want a hybrid. Plus, you might not be close to full capacity now, but what about after 4-5 years? Not to mention things like SharePlay recordings. I'd like to just upgrade my drive once and never have to worry about it again, so I'll probably just grab the DataBank and the 4TB hybrid and leave it at that forever. From what I've heard it's smart to leave some free space on your hard drives anyway.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

BreakAtmo posted:

I still think it looks good. Boring to watch =/= boring to play. You'll really need to like shooters in the first place, though.
I like Doom. Doom is fun and good. Doom makes you move around a lot, has enemies that fire slow-moving projectiles for you to dodge and for the time its weapons weren't old hat yet. The Order could have had all sorts of technical gizmos thanks to its Steampunk setting, but instead you're using the same old boring "click on man" guns from every other shooter ever, along with the same "boring old human with a gun" enemy shooter devs think should be the only enemy you ever face.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
Is Ground Zeroes worth it for £7.19?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

MZ posted:

If you like MGS, yes.

If you dont like MGS, yes.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Is Dragon Grandpa Doggone Ron Paul Danganronpa worth 13,46€? Loved the crazy stories and characters in 999 & VLR (didn't enjoy the puzzles), never played any Phoenix Wright games.

MZ posted:

It certainly got me hyped for Phantom Pain. It plays drat well, especially compared to the rest of the series (MGS4 was alright too, I thought, but this is on another level) The main story mission took me about a hour and a half, trying to play "well" and there are also six side missions, that'll probably take you about half an hour each. It all takes place on the same map, but you can approach it differently and there are some dumb-fun challenges and so on.
I bought it for 7$ from the US PSN sale and definitely felt it was worth it.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

MZ posted:

Even though I greatly dislike the direction the plot ultimately took, the gameplay is solid MGS fare with a lot of ways to achieve objectives and mess around with guards. In this game, it seems the goofiness comes mostly from your own actions, as the main plot is sombre and with few moments of levity, if any. Side missions can be silly enough, though.

In conclusion, I doubt the digital version will be any cheaper, so I'd say it's worth it unless you have an access to a game rental service or a cheap disc, because if you won't like the side-missions the game is really short.

Szurumbur fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jan 7, 2015

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Great Joe posted:

I like Doom. Doom is fun and good. Doom makes you move around a lot, has enemies that fire slow-moving projectiles for you to dodge and for the time its weapons weren't old hat yet. The Order could have had all sorts of technical gizmos thanks to its Steampunk setting, but instead you're using the same old boring "click on man" guns from every other shooter ever,

The Order is going to have a bunch of unique steampunk guns though. There's the thermite rifle and the electric rifle we've seen, plus likely more. That clip just doesn't feature them for some reason - not smart.

quote:

along with the same "boring old human with a gun" enemy shooter devs think should be the only enemy you ever face.

Nope - there's also the werewolf-esque 'half-breed' enemies they've shown off which look to fight extremely differently. I'd hope for more than that though.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Is there any kind of unique hook to the Order at all? Not including the setting.

It looks very pretty, but there's just nothing they've shown that's remotely exciting.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I think it looks fun and I can't wait to play it

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
Same

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Leyburn posted:

Is there any kind of unique hook to the Order at all? Not including the setting.

It looks very pretty, but there's just nothing they've shown that's remotely exciting.

No, the setting (and story?) seems to be the main hook. That and it looks fantastic. Not sure that's worth $60, but I'll probably buy it, beat it and flip it at some point.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
The Order just has too much going against it for me. All the gameplay clips look boring and just like every other 3rd person shooter I've ever played, plus I have a glut of games from all the Black Friday and Xmas sales. And like others have said, it just screams "future PS+ freebie" to me.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Szurumbur posted:

I feel Second Son but is different in two main regards:
- it's longer, so if a particular character does not strike your fancy, you're stuck for a number of hours
- Evil and Good Coles are really different and if you want your Platinum, you have to play both, but the story main story remains the same, often even with the same dialogues from NPCs, so it can feel somewhat incoherent

Personally, I felt as though it was a bit too long, so I welcome First Light's smaller scale.

This goes to show how memorable the characters in Second Son are. :whatup:

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

BreakAtmo posted:

There's the thermite rifle and the electric rifle we've seen, plus likely more.
What those do?

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

This goes to show how memorable the characters in Second Son are. :whatup:

Ha, you're right, I guess that's one of the few names I remembered from the series - I had to look up Second Son's hero's name.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Great Joe posted:

What those do?

Not precisely sure that the electric rifle will be anything more than a 'click on mans' deal with flashy electricity (maybe it'll have special environmental effects?), but the thermite rifle is more interesting - it's a dual fire gun where one type of shot lets you pepper enemies with a cloud of thermite, and the other fires a flare that makes the thermite erupt in fire. It'll probably be the game's main crowd-control weapon.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

a cop posted:

Oh, so I dont really suck and its a bad game? I was playing thinking, "how the gently caress did I do so good back in the day"

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

Oh, so I dont really suck and its a bad game? I was playing thinking, "how the gently caress did I do so good back in the day"

Yeah, they said that it would remain faithful to the originals or something but hosed it up. And it's not like it's totally broken but it's off just enough that you aren't sure if it's the game or not.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Vintersorg posted:

Yeah, this is a revelation. Didn't think I'd regressed that much.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Policenaut posted:

Speaking of which, how does the play as you go thing work for this game? My only other experience was GTA5 which made you stare at a loading screen until you hit 100% download. If I download the 10GB needed for "single player", can I just start playing? If I stop playing, like quit back to the dashboard, does it still keep downloading? I've never really done the play as you download thing before.

It's per-title and completely up to the developer. It's in that dev's best interest to get people playing their game as soon as possible, but some folks like Rockstar are just like "gently caress it, you'll play when we feel like it, because we're Rockstar." GTA is probably the worst example of the system, because it basically downloads enough of the executable to let you stare at their pretty art while the rest of the game downloads.

It's supposed to be that the first few gigs of a game have all the absolutely crucial bits in them to let you get going as quickly as possible, and once that initial file is downloaded, your PS4 is always downloading the rest of the game in the background (while you're playing that game, another game, watching Netflix, anything short of completely powering down the system). Because every game is different (open world vs. arena fps vs. JRPG vs. wrestling clusterfuck), how much of that teaser is available to play varies wildly, but generally speaking you're getting about 30 mins or so of game before you run into the rest still downloading. PSN/ISP speeds just aren't quite there yet for a lot of people to grab a 30+GB game quickly. I can get stuff at about 7-8MB/s and it still took me the better part of an hour to re-download Far Cry 4 to help a co-worker get the last two co-op Trophies.

It's a neat concept, but I don't know if a good execution is going to be praised enough for other devs to consider it while making their games -- particularly with there being so many open worlds this generation.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

So I get CE-34878-0 every time I try to start Dragon Age, which I just downloaded. Any idea? Will redoenloading fix it? Kinda sucks to have to download those 40gigs again.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Yeah, they said that it would remain faithful to the originals or something but hosed it up. And it's not like it's totally broken but it's off just enough that you aren't sure if it's the game or not.

It pretty much feels like your character has more weight behind them than they did in the original THPS games, and it's a lot less forgiving in terms of where you can put the board and not just bail.

The argument could probably be made that it's a push for realism but gently caress realism, I don't want an authentic skateboard physics simulator I want to jump over helicopters doing 1080 spins possibly upside down and/or on fire.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
I think the worst one I've experienced was NBA 2K15. I have the disc version and it still required to download some data after it's been installed and gave no indication to the user it was doing so. I was stuck at that Heat - Spurs game forever and it still didn't finish downloading. No progress bars or anything.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Sistergodiva posted:

So I get CE-34878-0 every time I try to start Dragon Age, which I just downloaded. Any idea? Will redoenloading fix it? Kinda sucks to have to download those 40gigs again.

I had that issue. Play offline worked for me. Not ideal but then for Dragon Age, it's a valid option.

Edit: As in, untick connect to internet, play the game. I connected after, and it seemed to work fine after I had a new save. I'm not a scientist though.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Von Linus posted:

I had that issue. Play offline worked for me. Not ideal but then for Dragon Age, it's a valid option.

Edit: As in, untick connect to internet, play the game. I connected after, and it seemed to work fine after I had a new save. I'm not a scientist though.

Oh gently caress, I just deleted it and started redownloadinh. Thanks for the tip though, will test if problem persist.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I can't believe people can actually still want to play The Order after the last two gameplay videos. I bet it's the same people who call CoD generic, and then will sing the praises of standing behind the same box for 5 minutes because "hey guys it's steampunk. It's so unique!"

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Sistergodiva posted:

Oh gently caress, I just deleted it and started redownloadinh. Thanks for the tip though, will test if problem persist.

No probs. I deleted it twice, then worried it might be the dlc extras that did it, so deleted them. It was only the shutdown of the PSN by Lizard Squad that clued me in to it. So I guess I have them to thank. Arseholes.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Megasabin posted:

I can't believe people can actually still want to play The Order after the last two gameplay videos. I bet it's the same people who call CoD generic, and then will sing the praises of standing behind the same box for 5 minutes because "hey guys it's steampunk. It's so unique!"

I'll play it because it looks like a decent third-person shooter with a neat aesthetic. I don't expect every game I play to be the most unique best experience ever. Oh, I played the last CoD too and it was pretty cool.

Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

when you realize how cool and retarded everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky

CRAYON posted:

I'll play it because it looks like a decent third-person shooter with a neat aesthetic. I don't expect every game I play to be the most unique best experience ever. Oh, I played the last CoD too and it was pretty cool.

It looks like a pile of horse crap.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Ruddha posted:

It looks like a pile of horse crap.

Yeah man! Fight the power. What about it looks like crap? The cool looking guns? The seemingly non-broken controls? The great graphics? Average != crap.

e: keep forgetting that games can only be poo poo or the best ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

when you realize how cool and retarded everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky

CRAYON posted:

Yeah man! Fight the power. What about it looks like crap? The cool looking guns? The seemingly non-broken controls? The great graphics? Average != crap.

e: keep forgetting that games can only be poo poo or the best ever

Go ahead, defend your pile of horse crap wearing a monocle with two gears sticking out of one of the poop turds. Discustin.

• Locked thread