Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Is NAM a .exe/.pkg that has to be installed in order to work properly or do you just drop it right into the plugins folder? It looked like I had a bunch of new road thingos and traffic was actually using the trains and highways I built but I wasn't 100% if it was from that or from pure dumb luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Yeah, its an installer so that's why I'm thinking that it's a different version to PC/Mac

Anyway, updated mega pack and all dat packed nicely. 99.9% working. A few HD mods that don't work on SD and vice versa. If you have my previous version, that only bonus to this link is that it's been data packed, swept of a few new redundant dependencies and about another 100 meg of some cool mods that I liked the look of. It still contains OF 3.0.

https://mega.co.nz/#!u1cknZDY!JVND8NDo20iNQ9ZebIpzf6vU1LSCTDB5GBogT0H5rxI

Remember that this doesn't come with terran mod for certain maps.

When I've been downloading mods that ask if I want the HD or SD version, I've taken the SD version.

Download list for brown boxes that I've missed.

http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/21771-lbt-mega-texture-pack-vol-02/ Carrefour and HBS sur Mall fix
http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/26885-frex-ceafus-texture-pack-vol01/ Burger King fix

Tai fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jan 9, 2015

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Tai posted:

Yeah, its an installer so that's why I'm thinking that it's a different version to PC/Mac

Anyway, updated mega pack and all dat packed nicely. 99.9% working. A few HD mods that don't work on SD and vice versa. If you have my previous version, that only bonus to this link is that it's been data packed, swept of a few new redundant dependencies and about another 100 meg of some cool mods that I liked the look of. It still contains OF 3.0.

When I've been downloading mods that ask if I want the HD or SD version, I've taken the SD version.

I looked into it, and it looks like the installer just puts everything in the right place for you; the NAM that comes with OF 3.0 doesn't have an installer, is completely extracted, and appears to be working A-Okay. I have very little idea what I'm actually doing but that's based on what I know about beep boop computers

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Talking of the NAM in OF, my mod pack isn't the NAM pack in the original OF. It's the most up to date NAM. Not sure if that will have any effect for Mac users. It hasn't so far for the PC guys.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

So I tried out the OF 3.0 on the Mac App Store version of SC4 and it doesn't work, I think it has something to do with if the plugins folder is greater than 1.4GB or something.

Anyways, does anyone remember the name of the mod that lets you build bus stops and subway stations right on the street or as a street piece? I remember seeing it somewhere but I'm not sure if it's in OF 3.0 and if it is, where to find it.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/17670-roadtop-mass-transit-v3-installers/

It says in the title that it's 3.0 but he's updated it to 3.5. I loooove on street bus stations.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

Tai posted:

Thank you I got sick of the 5+ minute load times with the like, 8gig goon pack, 2 gigs seems much more reasonable. I've pruned my plugins folder before an am getting sick of the fact that i pulled out a mod that removed the floor textures of my industry. That said, I have an industry demand mod that has dirty growing on medium density and HT on dense, with manufacturing split between them. Is that inclued? And does it have the PEG mods?

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
The demand mods in the pack are CAM and also a one that lowers the demand of dirty industry. The demand is still there but it's not needed to be spammed so much. It doesn't effect the zone density though as in you won't get medium density spawning high density dirty if that's what you mean? Basically, from what I've experienced, if there is equal demand for both then it's going to be down to local land value and overall education to what spawns.

Most of the PEGPRODS stuff in. The big one that isn't in is the ocean related stuff (PEG CDK). Modular marinas, ports etc. Never got my head around all the leveling of terrain for all of that.

Here is there website though to get it quick and easy. I'm dam sure I have all of his files so you shouldn't need to worry about dependencies etc.

http://www.simpeg.com/forum/?action=downloads

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Please post also if any brown boxes appear (not seen any for ages). Mods that appear green and knock out most of the other mod textures are HD mods conflicting with SC4 running in SD and vice versa. There are a few in the transport menu notably ninja boulevard stuff and some werid subway/over hanging bus station on road things. But brown boxes I need to know about along with the description name of the ploppable so I can get it fixed and post a link to the file so it can be dropped into your folder. It doesn't need to be data packed.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

OSX Steam version here. Got as far as loading up a plot of land. Then it beachballs as soon as I go into mayor mode :(.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I decided to try a loop kind of thing with Avenues following it to allow businesses to thrive on the outside edges and then put residential areas on the inside, and also because I plan on this becoming a pretty large city. I love the new roundabouts, but I guess one of the mods that the OF v3 added was changing the monorail from what it was to something that's more of a train thing, I'm not quite sure how it works yet.

So far so good :)

edit: I just realised I put some residential properties on the avenue instead of commercial :doh:

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Ok, going to try getting into this again, just installing NAM and going to pester the thread if there's other stuff I want from the game. Is NAM 32 in good shape for an inexperienced player to get started with? The OP said the previous version was suspect.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Avocados posted:

OSX Steam version here. Got as far as loading up a plot of land. Then it beachballs as soon as I go into mayor mode :(.

Are you using a stock map with the game?

doctorfrog posted:

Ok, going to try getting into this again, just installing NAM and going to pester the thread if there's other stuff I want from the game. Is NAM 32 in good shape for an inexperienced player to get started with? The OP said the previous version was suspect.

OP is out of date. Current version of NAM is stable.

Tusen Takk posted:

I decided to try a loop kind of thing with Avenues following it to allow businesses to thrive on the outside edges and then put residential areas on the inside, and also because I plan on this becoming a pretty large city. I love the new roundabouts, but I guess one of the mods that the OF v3 added was changing the monorail from what it was to something that's more of a train thing, I'm not quite sure how it works yet.

So far so good :)

edit: I just realised I put some residential properties on the avenue instead of commercial :doh:

Try playing with the NAM curves. Wide curves are easy to place, fractional curves require 2 pieces from the choice to line up. Tab rotates and Home changes the curve style. It makes a world of difference to move away from grid looking cities. Well unless that's the look you are going for.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Tai posted:

Are you using a stock map with the game?
Do I need a custom region?

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
No, just some player made maps can cause problems without the right mods. Likely scenario is that you are using a Mac I would guess.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Oddly enough that prompted me to attempt a Bootcamp configuration so now i'm running this on Windows 8, with somehow far worse performance than OSX.

Do I add the -CPUcount:1 string to the Steam launch options, or the exe?

e: Looks like the game still runs like crap.

buglord fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jan 7, 2015

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
The EXE I would guess. Either way just boot the game up and bring up task manager once you are at the region screen and check it.

Performance, try switching to SD mode. My PC's card takes a dump in HD mode even with that fix in the OP but SD runs perfectly.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Tai posted:

The EXE I would guess. Either way just boot the game up and bring up task manager once you are at the region screen and check it.

Performance, try switching to SD mode. My PC's card takes a dump in HD mode even with that fix in the OP but SD runs perfectly.

SD? Like the Software Rendering?

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
There's an option in the graphics options in game and by default it uses your hardware (your gfx card) to render. Software doesn't. Some newer cards have problems with rendering so people have to resort to the software option.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Welp now there's gigantic graphical glitches and tears across the screen. :stare:

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Hardware or software?

I know turning off clouds and that kind of stuff helps.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

If I delete the bullet train mod will it make the normal monorail come back or will it gently caress everything up? :ohdear:

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Try it. If it fucks everything up, all you have to do is put it back in the folder.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Tai posted:

Hardware or software?

I know turning off clouds and that kind of stuff helps.

Software. I think i've given up hope on it. The Aspyr version on OS X runs so smoothly, just like back on my old gaming machine. I really should have tested SC4 before throwing in the mods. But I figured it would perform even better than the OS X port.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Try turning down the resolution. You'll need to do it via the command to force widescreen. Software does have problems for high resolutions.

CustomResolution:enabled -r1366x768x32 -CPUCount:1 -intro:off -CPUpriority:high

Where the numbers you change to what you want. I use those above resolution on my laptop in software mode and it runs fine.

Settings I have in game are software mode.

Waves/Clouds off (This gave me massive graphics tearing on the regional view till I turned both off)
Build Draw speed High
City Detail High (Dropping to medium fixes some things supposedly, not had a problem myself)
Shadows and #cars Low
Everything Else Medium

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Okay so my new city was going great, all kinds of R$$ and R$$$ moved in and now every time I hit 8,000 the game crashes; I think it has something to do with an achievement that lets me build something called the Chapel of the Assumption; I looked it up and it's by Mattb325 but I can't seem to figure out where it is in the OF 3.0. I have a feeling that once I hit 8000 sims it floods the game with a bunch of HEY YOU UNLOCKED THIS THING and then it crashes.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Did you downloaded OF 3.0 from the OP or my mod pack?

If you did download from the OP, the file is located in

C:\Users\XXXXXX\Documents\SimCity 4\Plugins\BSC\Mattb325\Chapel of the Assumption

If it's my mod pack then welp. It's data packed into either

C:\Users\XXXX\Documents\SimCity 4\Plugins\BSC_000.dat

or

C:\Users\XXXX\Documents\SimCity 4\Plugins\BSC_001.dat

You'll also be removing a lot of mods though. 000 is 500 meg and 001 is 200 meg :(

Edit - Any way to turn off achievements cos who gives a gently caress...

Edit 2 - Hold down CTRL and pres X and type this in - 'you don't deserve it' . It unlocks every reward so easier to tell if it's fixed.

Tai fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jan 7, 2015

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Tai posted:

Did you downloaded OF 3.0 from the OP or my mod pack?

If you did download from the OP, the file is located in

C:\Users\XXXXXX\Documents\SimCity 4\Plugins\BSC\Mattb325\Chapel of the Assumption

If it's my mod pack then welp. It's data packed into either

C:\Users\XXXX\Documents\SimCity 4\Plugins\BSC_000.dat

or

C:\Users\XXXX\Documents\SimCity 4\Plugins\BSC_001.dat

You'll also be removing a lot of mods though. 000 is 500 meg and 001 is 200 meg :(

Edit - Any way to turn off achievements cos who gives a gently caress...

Edit 2 - Hold down CTRL and pres X and type this in - 'you don't deserve it' . It unlocks every reward so easier to tell if it's fixed.

Nice! I'll try that. I read through the OP again for the OF 3.0 and it says "which on some systems may require patching the Sim City 4.exe with a 4gb patch so the game can use more RAM; this is basically a three-click operation, and much simpler than it sounds" but doesn't go into more detail, I wonder if for some reason it's a thing with the RAM.

edit: nope, it doesn't seem to be the achievement bug that I thought it might be; still crashes ~20sec after loading. I'm gonna try removing the terrainmod and running in software mode to see if that does it.

edit 2: that didn't help :( Also, I pasted all of my plugins into the programfiles(86x) folder instead of my documents; could that potentially be the source of my woe?

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jan 7, 2015

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
You are using steam right? I think mods go into a different folder compared to the DVD/pirate versions

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Yeah steam mods go into a different location

C:\Steam\steamapps\common\simcity 4 deluxe\Plugins\

Also, I doubt you will need the 4GB patch. It's designed for retard size mod folders. I don't have the patch and it's fine. Even before I data packed it all, it ran fine and the folder alone was 3 GB then add the game itself.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I use the SC4D from the DVD I bought a longgggg time ago

In other news, I found the patch that allows it to work on x64 systems and access more RAM: http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php. I think the issue is that my plugins folder is larger than 2GB; when I launch it without the Everything Else folder in the Plugins folder it loads fine but of course my city loses its citizens since all the house packs that sprouted are now gone. I'll see if it works, it could just be that my GPU/CPU are utter poo poo (probably, they're AMD products)

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Ok plugins go in C:\Users\XXXXXX\Documents\SimCity 4\Plugins\

SC4 runs on garbage hardware. You can try the 64bit fixes. I run sc4 on 8.1 without modifying anything.

Sadly, the everything else folder is pretty much all your mods minus CAM and NAM. You may well have to create your own mod folder from scratch. I don't mind pointing you at the good stuff that you should get over time but it is pretty painful. It's one of the big drags with SC4. The game pretty much needs mods.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Tai posted:

Ok plugins go in C:\Users\XXXXXX\Documents\SimCity 4\Plugins\

SC4 runs on garbage hardware. You can try the 64bit fixes. I run sc4 on 8.1 without modifying anything.

Sadly, the everything else folder is pretty much all your mods minus CAM and NAM. You may well have to create your own mod folder from scratch. I don't mind pointing you at the good stuff that you should get over time but it is pretty painful. It's one of the big drags with SC4. The game pretty much needs mods.

So I looked at the exception dump and it was a RAM issue, patched it with the 4GB patcher thingo and it worked like a charm!! :D Thanks for all the help and support mate, deeply appreciated.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Well I'm glad it's working. Seems very odd you needed to patch and I didn't.

On another note, for anyone who downloaded the updated pack I posted the other day, well this is missing a dependency

http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/30036-hbs-mall-del-sur/

So download this

http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/21771-lbt-mega-texture-pack-vol-02/

It installs into your plugins folder. You'll have a yellow folder to go with all those .dat files. It isn't an issue.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Tusen Takk posted:

So I looked at the exception dump and it was a RAM issue, patched it with the 4GB patcher thingo and it worked like a charm!! :D Thanks for all the help and support mate, deeply appreciated.

Now go build some cities and post some pretty pictures!

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Taeke posted:

Now go build some cities and post some pretty pictures!
Already on it! Click for huge.

Plugins really do make this game better, and while I am having crashing still, at least I can play for like 15 minutes at a time.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Your CPU affinity is 100% set to use 1 core only right? Tab out and check it or w/e you do for Mac. Random crashes after 10-20mins is typical of not using 1 CPU.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Tai posted:

Your CPU affinity is 100% set to use 1 core only right? Tab out and check it or w/e you do for Mac. Random crashes after 10-20mins is typical of not using 1 CPU.

I'm playing vanilla on my MacBook in class and modded on my PC at home :3:, but yes, I have the -CPUCount:1 string in the target thingo (I actually have "C:\Program Files (x86)\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Apps\SimCity 4.exe" -CustomResolution:enabled -r1920x1080x32 -CPUCount:1 -intro:off)

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Try dropping the resolution, as I said, software mode sometimes has problems with the high resolutions of the cards/monitors of today.

E - Add this too, try it before you try the resolution change. -CPUpriority:high

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Tai posted:

Try dropping the resolution, as I said, software mode sometimes has problems with the high resolutions of the cards/monitors of today.

I have it back on hardware mode so I can use the texture pack, and I also added that snippet of code to the .sgr that supposedly optomises it

• Locked thread