Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

The Morrowind run looked hilarious, did he use some infinite stat upgrade glitch? skitter skitter skitter

I missed the Descent speedrun live yesterday, but I watched it on YouTube and it brought back soooo many memories. :allears:

There's a few more games coming up that I'm looking forward to, mostly Binding of Isaac (I suck at roguelikes) and Crypt of the Necrodancer with its phenomenal music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebulon
Mar 29, 2010

Destroyer of Worlds*
(*No worlds were harmed in the making of this title.)

I'm definitely looking forward to Crypt of the Necrodancer, though. I love that game and even completing a full playthrough of all zones from start to finish is damned impressive, let alone doing it fast without lingering in each level to get gear.
It's also a game that sounds really dumb when you describe it so hopefully seeing it in action with the music will encourage people to check it out.

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Really quite silly indeed.

Your Computer posted:

It's completely random what items you get, which in turn determines how fast you can beat the game or whether you can beat it at all. It's competitive dice-rolling.

e: And what the hell, are they going to play BoI and not Rebirth? :psyduck: Y'know, the version that fixed pretty much all of the bugs, glitches, lovely physics and terrible mechanics? And included seeds so you can actually race on skill and not luck?

Rebirth is still pretty new, and even for "remakes" like that it takes a while for them to show up in speedrunning. I'd expect it to replace the old game in SGDQ or next years AGDQ.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
No Rebirth is definitely a curious choice since they're playing a race, considering it pretty much removes luck from the equation.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Cerebulon posted:

I'm definitely looking forward to Crypt of the Necrodancer, though. I love that game and even completing a full playthrough of all zones from start to finish is damned impressive, let alone doing it fast without lingering in each level to get gear.

Necrodancer is one of those games that looks really cool but I never bought (because of trying to be responsible :smith: ) so I'm really looking forward to just seeing what the game is like.

e: does anyone know if there's a non-paypal way to donate but still be eligible for prizes?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

IcePhoenix posted:

Necrodancer is one of those games that looks really cool but I never bought (because of trying to be responsible :smith: ) so I'm really looking forward to just seeing what the game is like.

You should buy it just for the greatest singer in video games; the Shopkeeper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6paOj0agDI

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Cerebulon posted:

It's also a game that sounds really dumb when you describe it so hopefully seeing it in action with the music will encourage people to check it out.

Speedrunning it is definitely fun! I'm currently the WR holder in 3 characters, including a 2:49 Cadence. Slack is 2nd with 2:54

I imagine you'll see a ~5 minute time!

Kanfy posted:

No Rebirth is definitely a curious choice since they're playing a race, considering it pretty much removes luck from the equation.

They had to plan this before Rebirth was out and they weren't sure how speedrunable it would be. I think it's actually less consistent but there are more ways for you to get a winnable build in Rebirth.

jackofarcades fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jan 7, 2015

anti-magic
Sep 9, 2012

We've come up in the ram-raiding business, Owl.
It's all high class now.
No more baby seats.
Thanks for the quick responses guys. I just assumed it was Rebirth too but I guess these guys have played the original enough and are stuck in their ways?

I've been tuning into the stream randomly throughout and it's been interesting, pissed I managed to miss out on the Morrowind run though. I'll definitely have to catch that one when there are videos available.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
I pray for some BoI meltdowns.

Is that a guy or a girl on the left of the cam they look super in between like a reject from the twilight cast.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Kanfy posted:

For those who don't know: Rebirth lets you put in a seed, which determines exactly what rooms are where, what items drop where, and what bosses they fight.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
gonna go with slackaholicus here that guy seems very proud of his platinum god status.

NoUU
Mar 8, 2013

Kanfy posted:

Racing the original Isaac had a decent sized scene, they even had tournaments and leagues with cash prizes. It's the weirdest poo poo.

NoUU fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jan 7, 2015

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Playing without music. This is bullshit. :mad:

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

dpbjinc posted:

For those who don't know: Rebirth lets you put in a seed, which determines exactly what rooms are where, what items drop where, and what bosses they fight.

that's depressing.

Internet Kraken posted:

:agreed:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Aaand one of them immediately starts with one of the biggest (the biggest?) damage upgrade in the game while the other starts with a completely useless item. Good job :negative:

Internet Kraken posted:

What the hell. The only good thing about the original BoI is the music, and they just.... mute it? I hate this run already.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

dpbjinc posted:

There's a hack for the original that lets you force the seed amongst other things, but I guess they wanted it to be random as gently caress :argh:

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
Let us pray to the dark gods for many deaths and a breakdown.

Comrade Question
Mar 30, 2011

"I'd say it's nothing personal, but corporations are people, too."
How is this a race if they're playing different games?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Al Borland posted:

Let us pray to the dark gods for many deaths and a breakdown.

Only copious amounts of buttcrack and anger can save this.

Comrade Question posted:

Competitive dice-rolling. "I rolled three sixes in a row, it's a new world record! I'm the greatest!"

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

repiv posted:

There's a hack for the original that lets you force the seed amongst other things, but I guess they wanted it to be random as gently caress :argh:

when my isaac becomes a demi god in 2 floors and theirs ends up with a thousand consumables, that was my skill in play

Jessie Tanner
Jan 18, 2013
Very surprised they decided to go with old Isaac, what gives?

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Comrade Question posted:

All Binding of Isaac (and crypt of the necrodancer!) races are unseeded. Seeded races have been tried and people weren't too happy with it. Mostly screen peeking.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm betting it lags the game. Because Flash.

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

jackofarcades posted:

All Binding of Isaac (and crypt of the necrodancer!) races are unseeded. Seeded races have been tried and people weren't too happy with it. Mostly screen peeking.

they could very easily have the computers facing each other so that is impossible unless they're a snail

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
You sure got good RNG, let's all clap.

Jessie Tanner posted:

They're trying to make this as bad as possible. Original BoI, no music, no spidermod.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

RNG gave Guppy mode, truly worth an applause :v:

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

let us clap for total RNG luck, you skillfull player you

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Oh one guy might get guppy that could let him catch- welp, nevermind :geno:

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
Seeded would be pretty cool honestly.

As long as they didnt know where everything was.

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Really quite silly indeed.

Inepta Lacerta posted:

Rebirth is still pretty new, and even for "remakes" like that it takes a while for them to show up in speedrunning. I'd expect it to replace the old game in SGDQ or next years AGDQ.

Quoting myself, since this is the likely reason. (Also not sure it was released in time to even be able to get onto the schedule proper)

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
Guy on the right definitely has some good items but hes down to 2 stone hearts.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Al Borland posted:

Seeded would be pretty cool honestly.

As long as they didnt know where everything was.

This is what I don't get. A race could use a random seed and it'd be fair, but instead people insist on using overpowered seeds where they instantly clear every room and it becomes a snoozefest. Then people say that "seeds are poo poo for racing". :negative:

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Taking that red heart item was a mistake because now sage doesn't have the half red heart desired for Polaroid invincibility.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Balobam posted:

they could very easily have the computers facing each other so that is impossible unless they're a snail

These races are online, and often for a lot of money. I've won $600 racing Necrodancer and Slack has won $1000.

Your Computer posted:

Competitive dice-rolling. "I rolled three sixes in a row, it's a new world record! I'm the greatest!"

There's ways to manipulate the RNG and most of your damage comes from devil deals, which you get for not taking red heart damage. Also, some of the faster items in the game (ipecac / fetus) are really hard to use quickly.

It's possible to be RNG'd out in a race but people can consistently get very good times.

Internet Kraken posted:

Probably because they've played it so long that the music gets repetitive.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Jessie Tanner posted:

well, this event wasn't planned yesterday.

in fact it's been in planning SO LONG that rebirth wasn't out yet when submissions were being taken.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Kanfy posted:

You should buy it just for the greatest singer in video games; the Shopkeeper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6paOj0agDI

This owns and is way better than listening to this boring BoI run

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

Balobam posted:

when my isaac becomes a demi god in 2 floors and theirs ends up with a thousand consumables, that was my skill in play

called it!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

jackofarcades posted:

There's ways to manipulate the RNG and most of your damage comes from devil deals, which you get for not taking red heart damage. Also, some of the faster items in the game (ipecac / fetus) are really hard to use quickly.

It's possible to be RNG'd out in a race but people can consistently get very good times.

I've spent over 600 hours on the game with a couple hundred more in BoI:R, so I have a decent idea of how it works. I still think racing or speedrunning it is the most hilariously pointless thing ever :shepface:

SeXReX posted:

well, this event wasn't planned yesterday.

in fact it's been in planning SO LONG that rebirth wasn't out yet when submissions were being taken.

This however is a decent excuse to not use BoI:R, I guess.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

boi is a super fun game but these players have zero charisma at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

why've I not heard of the necrodancer until now, looks sick

• Locked thread