Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Full Metal Panic is not a "great" series, more just one a lot of people have a lot of nostalgia for. It's kind of a weird sort of thing because the comedic and serious portions are so clearly partitioned off from each other so a lot of people wound up caring for only one of them. This was particularly helped when Fumoffu came out and was 100% crazy zany off the wall high-energy comedy and no giant robots at all, which some people liked a lot at the time as a change of pace (helped that it came with a change of studio from Gonzo to KyoAni). I don't really mind the serious story so much, it's basically High School Metal Gear Solid (gotta read the Sigma manga to see how it ends though), but overall the comedic portions were a lot more memorable for me.

That said, part of the problem on that front may just be the series you're watching. The first series by Gonzo which presumably you are watching now is just kind of a mediocre job all told; both the serious and comedic portions got better once KyoAni got their own crack at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
So fumoffu and the second season are better or was there a cour and that other studio got it starting the last half of season one? Would I miss anything if I just watched Fumoffu and season 2?

I'm on episode 6 of the first season, so maybe, and I'm watching the english dub because I think it's better translated than the subtitles, so perhaps sagara emotes better in the japanese audio, but man, he's just a boring loving robot with his lines, and Chidori just seems kinda dumb, too. In general, the timing feels off during the comedy scenes - like unamusing slapstick or something.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jan 3, 2015

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Fumoffu, no, the only thing you'd need to know is the basic setup re: Sousuke. Season 2 aka The Second Raid yeah you probably should finish the first season. I mean it's not a complicated story so you can probably figure it out but there are developments clearly based off of events that happen throughout the first part.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Nate RFB posted:

Fumoffu, no, the only thing you'd need to know is the basic setup re: Sousuke. Season 2 aka The Second Raid yeah you probably should finish the first season. I mean it's not a complicated story so you can probably figure it out but there are developments clearly based off of events that happen throughout the first part.

Fair enough, thanks. I'll run S1 in the background while I do other things and pay attention if interesting things come up. Hopefully I'll find a balance and get drawn more into it.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

TARDISman posted:

No he didn't die, he just got the poo poo kicked out of him. He did get murdered about 15-20 episodes later to scare up a riot.

Well, my mistake then. It's been ages since I've watched the original series so I forget a lot of things.

FMP chat: I remember the first season just being very dull in general, that I struggled to watch it. Never did get around to watching Fumoffu and Second Raid as a result, though I hear they were better. Most of my knowledge and enjoyment of FMP came from the manga, which I think basically blended the two.

Anyways, I started watching Bodacious Space Pirates outta curiosity since it was apparently decent. So far, this series is a lot more technical and slower-paced than I was expecting.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Bodacious Space Pirates is great and I am still upset that there are no English subs for the movie yet.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Sakurazuka posted:

Bodacious Space Pirates is great and I am still upset that there are no English subs for the movie yet.

There's a movie?!?!?! :aaa:
The series was cute and fun as gently caress.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Drifter posted:

There's a movie?!?!?! :aaa:
The series was cute and fun as gently caress.

WhyNot? is working on it, but that's the last update I've heard. (and that was Nov 12th. :smith: )

Bodacious Space Pirates: Abyss of Hyperspace

Allarion posted:

So far, this series is a lot more technical and slower-paced than I was expecting.
I think those aspects of it caught literally everyone by surprise. It's a good, solid, and fun science fiction story.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Drifter posted:

Fair enough, thanks. I'll run S1 in the background while I do other things and pay attention if interesting things come up. Hopefully I'll find a balance and get drawn more into it.

I watched Fumoffu on a recommendation before anything else and loved it, to the point that that's what I recommend new viewers do. If you want to know more about the story after you can breathe again, you can watch the series proper, but aside from a few moments I never really got all that much enjoyment out of it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Oh my goodness, Marika almost looks like a functional adult :3: and not a child. Ahh, movie posters, you're so misleading.

Che Delilas posted:

I watched Fumoffu on a recommendation before anything else and loved it, to the point that that's what I recommend new viewers do. If you want to know more about the story after you can breathe again, you can watch the series proper, but aside from a few moments I never really got all that much enjoyment out of it.

Got to episode 8 and your suggestion is probably what I'm just going to do. THanks, guys.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Drifter posted:

Ahh, movie posters, you're so misleading.

The art style is actually a little different in the movie. :v:

...in fact, I think it had a different art director / character designer / whatever.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The first series of fmp is great... If you are in Highschool, and haven't seen very many mecha anime, and don't know that gonzo is trash. Otherwise it's something that really really doesn't hold up.

The first bit, like most gonzo productions, is the best, so if that doesn't get you you probably aren't gonna like the rest of the first season very much. There's a couple of good episodes and even awesome moments but they seem to happen in spite of themselves rather than with any kind of intentionality.

The second season is what the first should have been, and it's a goddamn awful shame that it was only one cour. Fumaffu is fun but after the second season I was like " so wow we could have had like 36 episodes of cool poo poo if they had tucked some plot between all the highschool silliness and it would have been a real show. Fumaffu has its moments but like any comedy it doesn't hold up to hype very well.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

DamnGlitch posted:

Fumaffu has its moments but like any comedy it doesn't hold up to hype very well.

You can hype Nichijou up to gently caress and back and it would still meet and exceed every expectation. :colbert:

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Is Mirai Nikki any good?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Violet_Sky posted:

Is Mirai Nikki any good?

If you like trashy stuff, yes.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Violet_Sky posted:

Is Mirai Nikki any good?

We did this four pages ago so I'll just quote myself, check out what other people thought over there.

The Devil Tesla posted:

Really good. It's full of exploitative, campy stuff but at its core it's surprisingly sweet. It was directed by Naoto Hosoda who also did ADTRW Anime of the Year 2013 The Devil Is A Part-Timer and he does a great job at both the funny stuff and the tense stuff. There's a bunch of scenes where the male and female leads basically react rom-com story beats but with extra-murder, and it works far better than it should. The diaries are very silly super powers and at their best it makes the action scenes feel like good Jojo fights. Oh, and there's after credit extras worth staying around for.

It's not the kind of thing that will click with everyone (and I'm always embarrassed when I recommend it) but I think it's worth giving a chance.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Does the Toradora anime have a proper ending? The manga seems to have stalled completely but I know the LN's are finished.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Sakurazuka posted:

Does the Toradora anime have a proper ending? The manga seems to have stalled completely but I know the LN's are finished.

It does.

e: I'm not sure it comes to the same ending as the other media, it may stop short or alter things for all I know, but it definitely comes to a reasonable narrative stop.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

The name of the series is Tiger x Dragon, there's only one way the thing could ever have ended

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

icantfindaname posted:

The name of the series is Tiger x Dragon, there's only one way the thing could ever have ended

???:confused:???

Seriously though Toradora has a very solid ending.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

icantfindaname posted:

As Rakugo comedians?

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

a kitten posted:

???:confused:???

Seriously though Toradora has a very solid ending.

I was also confused. Mostly because Godzilla x Mothra x Mechagodzilla did not end with a monster three way.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

Nate RFB posted:

As Rakugo comedians?

I wish that show had actually good subtitles. It's so good.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Taiga = Tiger, Ryuji/Ryu = dragon in moonspeak

vvvvvvvvvvvv
welp

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jan 7, 2015

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Well yeah.

I was just making a little joke with an image from another story with Tiger and Dragon in the title.
:thejoke:

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Toradora has a drat fine climax and then a fairly weak ending I felt but golden time proved it could have been much weaker

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I just finished watching Kara no Kyoukai (Garden of Sinners) and felt perfectly satisfied with the airing order.

Now I'd like to watch another out-of-order-when-aired show and that is The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. At the moment I feel kind of paralyzed by uncertainty because apparently they (completely?) remade the whole series and stuffed season 2 episodes in between the season 1 episodes and called it a the complete thing?

Now, bear with me: I'd like to watch it in the original airing order but also would like to watch the complete thing, if it makes sense. Is it possible without re-watches? If someone could explain the whole deal to me simply that'd be great because now I'm looking like this: :psyduck:.

For reference, links to both series (list of episodes with names at the bottom of the page): Original, 2009 version.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It wasn't a remake, but rather a re-airing (but this time in chronological order) with new episodes sprinkled throughout. You want to watch the episodes listed in the order in your "Original" link and then any new ones that appear in the "2009 version" link. These would be:

Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody (1)
Endless Eight (8)
Sighs of Haruhi Suzumiya (5)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nate RFB posted:

It wasn't a remake, but rather a re-airing (but this time in chronological order) with new episodes sprinkled throughout. You want to watch the episodes listed in the order in your "Original" link and then any new ones that appear in the "2009 version" link. These would be:

Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody (1)
Endless Eight (8)

Oh wow, they stuck Endless Eight before the rest of the second season? That's just cruel :allears:. I still cannot believe they thought eight near-identical episodes shown back-to-back was a good idea.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

it was a good idea

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Nate RFB posted:

Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody (1)
Endless Eight (8)

Thanks! I'll get to it, then.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Spent the weekend watching the first 4 episodes of Toradora because I enjoyed Nozaki-kun, and found myself really really not liking it at all. It seemed very trite and one dimensional and incredibly, underwhelmingly cliche. Blah.

I'll be watching the first episode of Shingeki no Bahamut Genesis later today, so at least there's that.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Yeah I read someone once describe Toradora as taking place squarely in anime-land with anime people, as opposed to the real world and real people, which is a very good description of it. If you didn't get far enough to see Amy/the blue haired girl, it does gets watchable at that point, but yeah it's not a masterpiece or anything. It is probably the best and most watchable of its genre as an otaku harem-y romcom, though

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jan 7, 2015

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
(For the intent of full disclosure: Toradora is one of the few anime I own the DVDs of.)

Like icantfindaname said, it takes a while for the characters to really begin bouncing off each other, and the show doesn't really hit its stride until about midway through the first cour. After that, though, it gets really good.

Also, Toradora is an anime that gets better with subsequent re-watchings, because there are quite a few little things and details that you only notice or only make sense in retrospect, after you know what comes afterwards.

My advice is: stick with it for three-four more episodes at least. If after that you still don't like it, it means it just doesn't fit your tastes (this is not meant to be offensive, different people have different tastes after all :)).

Mikl fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 7, 2015

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

Yeah I read someone once describe Toradora as taking place squarely in anime-land with anime people, as opposed to the real world and real people, which is a very good description of it. If you didn't get far enough to see Amy/the blue haired girl, it does gets watchable at that point, but yeah it's not a masterpiece or anything. It is probably the best and most watchable of its genre as an otaku harem-y romcom, though

I'll agree, it's a pretty solid and competent show despite its generic nature. I really came to like the protagonists too, though I didn't really like the ending much.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

Nate RFB posted:

Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody (1)
Endless Eight (8)

The correct way to watch Haruhi the first time is the original airing order without any of the new episodes. Subsequent viewings should then be the entire thing in chronological order. Every episode of Endless Eight is obligatory.

Liveware
Feb 5, 2014

Mikl posted:

(For the intent of full disclosure: Toradora is one of the few anime I own the DVDs of.)

Like icantfindaname said, it takes a while for the characters to really begin bouncing off each other, and the show doesn't really hit its stride until about midway through the first cour. After that, though, it gets really good.

Also, Toradora is an anime that gets better with subsequent re-watchings, because there are quite a few little things and details that you only notice or only make sense in retrospect, after you know what comes afterwards.

My advice is: stick with it for three-four more episodes at least. If after that you still don't like it, it means it just doesn't fit your tastes (this is not meant to be offensive, different people have different tastes after all :)).

Honestly I thought Toradora was one of JC's best. It managed to make me love it despite my dislike of Rie Kugimiya characters.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

It's not fish out of water but you might enjoy the recently finished Amagi Brilliant Park. Same author and studio as Fumoffu, albeit 10 years later.

Thanks again for the recommendation. I watched this and it was pretty funny, but most of the character drama was not very effective for me I guess due to the supernatural elements.

Since then I also watched gekkan shoujo nozaki-kun which I liked a lot as well.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

A Doomed Purloiner posted:

The correct way to watch Haruhi the first time is the original airing order without any of the new episodes. Subsequent viewings should then be the entire thing in chronological order. Every episode of Endless Eight is obligatory.

I'll consider this although I don't usually do rewatches at all because I have so little time :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Davincie posted:

it was a good idea

What boggles the mind for me with Endless Eight is that it's explicitly stated at the end that there's hundreds of variants where their experiences drifted pretty far off the "standard" timeline, like not going to the festival. It's like a final gently caress-you for watching the same episode eight weeks in a row (if you watched it as it aired on TV), because potentially-interesting stuff happened and no you didn't get to see it. Sucker.

• Locked thread