Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheNakedFantastic
Sep 22, 2006

LITERAL WHITE SUPREMACIST

ekuNNN posted:

And what would you like in place of that?

Tighten immigration quotas and give more aid to countries neighboring refugee areas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Massacre at the Charlie Hebdo office in paris.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2015/jan/07/shooting-paris-satirical-magazine-charlie-hebdo

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

I know at least a couple of people who will not be bothered by this because of CH "horrible caricatures" of John Paul II which were a thing they did around his death.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Horrible news, though I'm not sure why this belongs into this thread. It actually appears to be an attack by radical islamists, who aren't really the heirs of European fascists.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
Well, it's certainly going to boost FN a whole lot, that's for sure.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Forgall posted:

Well, it's certainly going to boost FN a whole lot, that's for sure.

Right, I forgot. Marine Le Pen must be very pleased :(

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Torrannor posted:

Horrible news, though I'm not sure why this belongs into this thread. It actually appears to be an attack by radical islamists, who aren't really the heirs of European fascists.

I see there is a specific thread on it now. I agree this isn't the right place but I couldn't see a french thread.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Jippa posted:

I see there is a specific thread on it now. I agree this isn't the right place but I couldn't see a french thread.

No worries, I didn't want to backseat moderate. It probably won't take too much time until we can discuss the improved fortunes of the FN after this attack.

I also fear what this will do to boost the PEGIDA idiots protesting against the "islamization of the Occident" here in Germany.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
There are Muslim-hating movements in just about all countries in Northern Europe, so UKIP, Sweden Democrats, Danish People's Party, Geert Wilders, Le Pen, Golden Dawn, PEGIDA, et al. are definitely going to benefit from this directly or indirectly.

Not to mention the parties who will or already have moved to the right to appease the dreadful sentiment.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I'm stoked to experience the 1930's firsthand. Sigh.

I know it's a bit of a hyperbole but I can certainly see Pagida and Golden Dawn ride this wave for some months.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Deltasquid posted:

I'm stoked to experience the 1930's firsthand. Sigh.

I know it's a bit of a hyperbole but I can certainly see Pagida and Golden Dawn ride this wave for some months.

Watch LePen start a loving pogrom :(

Also the sentiment that we shouldn't discuss or focus on the political consequences which will affect millions following an act which affects dozens but, by definition, was designed to elicit a political response is inane.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jan 7, 2015

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
'Sides, that other thread is already getting a fair chunk of attention from the fash and whitewashing of the Front National. I think the political ramifications are a legit concern.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Well, that thread went to fun places.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Strangely I don't know if there will be much overall change here in the UK because of this; our street thug racist groups (National Front, English Defense League) have really been nothing for a while now because they are being abandoned for our xenophobic anti-EU party (United Kingdom Independance Party) but UKIP is trying to be a bit more acceptable to the general public in the run up to our general election (they're delisting people and kicking others out for being openly racist) so we might just have the usual chorus of denouncements from the political heads and then everyone turns back to their usual business.

I mean there will probably be a few small lovely street protests to organise counter-demos against but hopefully this'll just be part of an ongoing argument rather than a spark for something worse.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

my dad posted:

Well, that thread went to fun places.

I love the irony of the Europeans being so protective of their culture. They're so afraid that what they've done to cultures around the world is going to happen to theirs.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

namesake posted:

Strangely I don't know if there will be much overall change here in the UK because of this; our street thug racist groups (National Front, English Defense League) have really been nothing for a while now because they are being abandoned for our xenophobic anti-EU party (United Kingdom Independance Party) but UKIP is trying to be a bit more acceptable to the general public in the run up to our general election (they're delisting people and kicking others out for being openly racist) so we might just have the usual chorus of denouncements from the political heads and then everyone turns back to their usual business.

I mean there will probably be a few small lovely street protests to organise counter-demos against but hopefully this'll just be part of an ongoing argument rather than a spark for something worse.

The main thing it will do is enable Farage to opine about things "people are worried about" that are more openly Islamophobic.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Right, yeah, this'll probably allow the kippers to shift the Overton window even further to the right, go on about the dangers of nasty brown foreigners, and so on. They're trying to be more politically palatable, but this means they don't have to try so hard.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

slogsdon posted:

I love the irony of the Europeans being so protective of their culture. They're so afraid that what they've done to cultures around the world is going to happen to theirs.
In the end, we are just really used to playing the second fiddle juuust below the topfiddle and to think about ourselves as really progressive and most astoninglishly advanced compared to the rest of the world...

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

slogsdon posted:

European culture

Like, what did Finns, Norwegians et al do? Support anti-apartheid movements? Boo!

Cake Smashing Boob fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jan 7, 2015

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

Cake Smashing Boob posted:

European culture

Like, what did Finns, Norwegians et al do? Support anti-apartheid movements? Boo!

Be white?

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

European culture

I'm sorry I didn't make an itemized list of garbage European countries for you.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

European culture

Every country in Europe is exactly the same.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Darth Walrus posted:

Right, yeah, this'll probably allow the kippers to shift the Overton window even further to the right, go on about the dangers of nasty brown foreigners, and so on. They're trying to be more politically palatable, but this means they don't have to try so hard.
gently caress these guys. Not for what they did, but for the inevitable political response.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

slogsdon posted:

What makes you say this? It's difficult to understand that without context, and i'm not reading 500 posts just do understand your point.

I don't know what's ironic about Europeans being protective of their culture. It's not unique (see a whole lot Americans who would love to deport all these foreigner Mexicans etc.).

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
It's still wrong and xenophobic.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Torrannor posted:

What makes you say this? It's difficult to understand that without context, and i'm not reading 500 posts just do understand your point.

I don't know what's ironic about Europeans being protective of their culture. It's not unique (see a whole lot Americans who would love to deport all these foreigner Mexicans etc.).

And then our President slaps them around with reality.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Torrannor posted:

Ironic situations don't have to be unique.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

khwarezm posted:

Every country in Europe is exactly the same.

I figured as much.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

European culture

Scandinavia's kind of got a significant Nazi problem. I mean, a whole lot of countries in Europe do, but they make it really overt.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

Scandinavia's kind of got a significant Nazi problem. I mean, a whole lot of countries in Europe do, but they make it really overt.

No silence your lies, they fear for their children's survival in such barbaric times.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

Darth Walrus posted:

Holy loving poo poo, thanks for telling me. I had no idea.

Time traveling colonialist nazis. Who'd a thunk.

Cake Smashing Boob fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 7, 2015

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
I spent :10bux: so that means I can be a cheapskate and post about posting instead of having some wit or spending any more on comedy avs for people. Which I'm also incapable of. Comedy.

Darth Walrus posted:

We're basically shipping people to the Lappland concentration camps as we speak.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

How else would all those toys get made? Only 350 days till Christmas!

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Darth Walrus posted:

Three separate Mosques got firebombed in Sweden last week, for example.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide
Yes. Last week. In Sweden.

But whatever. gently caress you, Finns, for colonializing/opressing Africa.

You dicks.

And don't get me started on the loving Sami. Holy poo poo have they've got a lot to answer for.

Cake Smashing Boob fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 7, 2015

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wait, what are you talking about? I kind of skimmed all those earlier shitposts on this page.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Yes. Last week. In Sweden.

But whatever. gently caress you, Finns, for colonializing/opressing Africa.

You dicks.

And don't get me started on the loving Sami. Holy poo poo have they've got a lot to answer for.

Finland had several missionary outposts running in Africa during the 18/19th Century. The majority of them operated in other European colonial powers, but usually the point of these missions were to hide horrible exploitation under the guise of bringing Christ and civilization to the Dark Continent.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Electronico6 posted:

Finland had several missionary outposts running in Africa during the 18/19th Century. The majority of them operated in other European colonial powers, but usually the point of these missions were to hide horrible exploitation under the guise of bringing Christ and civilization to the Dark Continent.

The Finns were famously a big part of the scramble for Africa.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Disinterested posted:

The Finns were famously a big part of the scramble for Africa.

I wasn't implying they were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

ekuNNN posted:

Wait, what are you talking about? I kind of skimmed all those earlier shitposts on this page.

Finns like to point out how they were actually a colony rather than a colonizing power and thus that they share no responsibility whatsoever for the loving up of the rest of the world by Europe and that's why it's okay for them to say Somalis should just gently caress off back to their own country or at the very least change completely for their behaviour must be why their country is poo poo and now they're in Finland so they better act Finnish or they will turn Finland to poo poo too. Oh and also it's not racism to point out how Roma really are dishonest and violent thieves because it's true.

That's what my Finnish friends tell me anyway. Also swastikas are still totally cool for them to use even though they literally fought on the same side as the Nazis.

• Locked thread