Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Kanos posted:

The fight in this episode seems to point to them realizing that everything is better when everyone is having fun instead of indulging in stupid drama garbage. Wilfrid didn't really give a poo poo and seemed to be pretty unhappy/angry when fighting Karima, who was pretty clearly sandbagging just to try to get an intelligence advantage. When Sekai showed up and was like "ALRIGHT LET'S HAVE A GOOD CLEAN MATCH" he got really amped. I really liked the scene where Wilfrid stops to have a little chat with Sekai about the Build Burning's capabilities and goes "Oh, okay, since you're unarmed I'll fight you unarmed" and it was totally because he wanted a good fight instead of a contemptuous "you're not worthy of my spear" thing. It really tied into Meijin's whole "Gunpla battles are the best when everyone is trying to make them as awesome as possible" philosophy from season 1. Adou's reaction also made me like him more, since he was basically like "Holy poo poo man this is awesome let me get a piece of that".

Which also ties into why Shia helped Sekai amp up the Build Burning, because she wants to eventually fight him, and have it be awesome.

From the looks of it, the writers also seem to be planning to bring back the notion of fighters manipulating the Plavsky Particles in increasingly absurd ways to gain an edge. Sekai did so unintentionally with that Phoenix attack, and I hope we get more like it in future (from the others too, of course).

Also I realise going into this next round, we have some actually established rivals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I really enjoyed this episode on the whole, but there were a few small bits I wasn't a fan of.

Shia helping Sekai to improve the Build Burning sat badly with me, because the whole point of the BBG was it was some insane custom made by Sei. Having someone else able to easily tune it up seems like it robs its special nature a little. The whole "I wanted him to be stronger :wotwot:" thing was pretty smug as poo poo too, compared to BF with them all hanging like buddies and giving each-other tips because they share a hobby they enjoy, and ultimately pointless with a full upgrade coming next episode.

The whole argument of "why do you want to fight me?!" "Because it's fun" worked pretty well as a reason in BF :shrug:.

That said and done though, It was nice to see Yuuma got some actual characterization in this episode, and that fight was one of the best in the series. Watching the BBG's arms melt off after shattering the goddamn MOON, I was half-expecting them to sell the move's power by showing they'd actually melted on the kit even with the Damage Level on C.

Darth Walrus posted:

Nice to see the Cherudim get some action. And was that a modified Qan(T) that Wilf was using?

I think it has the Qan(T)'s chest at least.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

It looked like a weird mix of an Exia, a unicorn and http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/CB-001.5_1.5_Gundam to me. But with a lot of scratchbuilding.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Shia helping Sekai to improve the Build Burning sat badly with me, because the whole point of the BBG was it was some insane custom made by Sei. Having someone else able to easily tune it up seems like it robs its special nature a little. The whole "I wanted him to be stronger :wotwot:" thing was pretty smug as poo poo too, compared to BF with them all hanging like buddies and giving each-other tips because they share a hobby they enjoy, and ultimately pointless with a full upgrade coming next episode.

The whole argument of "why do you want to fight me?!" "Because it's fun" worked pretty well as a reason in BF :shrug:.

I think the point they were going for with the "its output is improved!" thing was that for the first time ever, Sekai worked on the thing himself. He obviously had a lot of help, but he took his first halting steps into making Build Burning his own thing on some level instead of a superpowered uber-gunpla that effectively fell out of the sky into his hands. The show has made a lot of noise in the past about suits that you build or help build yourself being a lot easier and more natural for you to pilot, so I figured it was playing into that moreso than implying that Sekai and Shia could somehow actually materially improve on Sei's work with a night of popping polycaps together and painting over battle damage. Sekai's statement in the battle wasn't about how the Build Burning was stronger, but about how the Build Burning was moving as he wished.

Speaking of upgrades, I'm really hoping they follow through with the group actually upgrading their gunpla together as a team instead of each of them inexplicably wandering off on their own for a month and not telling each other anything about what they were doing despite participating in a team-based sport.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I really enjoyed this episode on the whole, but there were a few small bits I wasn't a fan of.

That said and done though, It was nice to see Yuuma got some actual characterization in this episode, and that fight was one of the best in the series. Watching the BBG's arms melt off after shattering the goddamn MOON, I was half-expecting them to sell the move's power by showing they'd actually melted on the kit even with the Damage Level on C.

I think it has the Qan(T)'s chest at least.

Shia's actions make sense once you learn who she is in reality. She's the gunpla schools team leader. So she's doing everyone in her team a favor when all they want are good fights

Also I was right earlier she is a CHAR

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jan 7, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kanos posted:

I think the point they were going for with the "its output is improved!" thing was that for the first time ever, Sekai worked on the thing himself. He obviously had a lot of help, but he took his first halting steps into making Build Burning his own thing on some level instead of a superpowered uber-gunpla that effectively fell out of the sky into his hands. The show has made a lot of noise in the past about suits that you build or help build yourself being a lot easier and more natural for you to pilot, so I figured it was playing into that moreso than implying that Sekai and Shia could somehow actually materially improve on Sei's work with a night of popping polycaps together and painting over battle damage. Sekai's statement in the battle wasn't about how the Build Burning was stronger, but about how the Build Burning was moving as he wished.

I don't think just improving his mobility would be enough to destroy the MOON though. They even mention they need to rebuild the thing because it's too powerful now with it's retuning.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Shia's actions make sense once you learn who she is in reality. She's the gunpla schools team leader. So she's doing everyone in her team a favor when all they want are good fights

Also I was right earlier she is a CHAR

I'm not sure if I can word this right, but the problem I had with it is there's no change in personality between when she's with Sekai and when she joins the Gunpla Academy team at the end. It just comes off as setting up Sekai as momentary entertainment for herself later, rather than being an interesting character, because of doing it in a clandestine manner rather than say, "oh hey, I'm on the Gunpla Academy team". You can already see the big casual "Oh yes, I'm on their team :smuggo::" reveal scene coming a mile a way already in big flashing neon lights in the sky and a street parade to lead the way. Hell, even Char broke his normal calm demeanour and showed some excitement when he fought Amuro.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Episode was great, Kijima is a pretty cool dude.

They appear to still really really want to do 1v1 fights because it really is what they're comfortable with.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That was mostly a good episode! I enjoyed it quite a bit. It's really nice to see Yuuma not being a horrible little poo poo and Fumina learned the right lesson after all. Characters emoted! Fumina and Yuuma talked and acted like friends! We actually saw Build Burning repaired for once. Meijin Kawaguchi remains the best character in the show.

I honestly thought the battle as kinda eh but that was mostly budget. They recycled stock footage (very noticable with Sekai's kick), used tons of still shots and so-on. It didn't really fit the "look at this super-amazing battle' feel people had compared to say Destiny vs Build Burning. It was also kind of disappointing that Transient Gundam just started hand-to-hand fighting because Build Burning was 'unarmed.' I get they wanted to animated it that way but it's kinda dumb when the thing he threw down was... a melee weapon.

I also am not thrilled by Sekai getting the generic Phoenix Finisher Move but mostly because that poo poo is played out to the extreme and I was hoping for something a little more visually unique.

Beyond that, this isn't really a flaw but the fight felt a little too generic shonen anime for me. The original BF was generally good about keeping the feel of 'these are two robots fighting' and playing up thier gimmicks but this fight (and honestly, Sekai in general) can kinda be summed up as "a guy fighting that happens to look like a robot.' I'd say it is G Gundammy but G Gundam actually frequently put the robot element into play even if it was mobile trace suited. This isn't a flaw though, I just like robot fights more than shonen fights. The moon destruction and power levels were pretty lol too, but I don't like power levels. They are, as the man said, bullshit.

They also did a pretty good job characterizing the rival team. Shame that Zaku Squad and The Clone Squad are both still basically personality-less.

Pureauthor posted:

They appear to still really really want to do 1v1 fights because it really is what they're comfortable with.

Yeah, at this point I really don't feel like that is ever going to change. The only thing we can really hope for is that Winning and Lightning get their own 1-v-1 fights from now on too. It's disappointing but I don't think the series is going to change now, even as they're fixing other problems.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Fun fight though man I am really not looking forward to when they inevitably fight the triplets. They've been making power level comments on the sidelines for what, like 3 episodes by this point? That is all there is to their personality and it is obnoxious.

e: Yeah they feel like they only wanna do 1 on 1s, hell we had a free for all in this episode and everyone politely waited their turn.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Shin Matsunaga's alright. he's absically jsut a normal sane person.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

Shin Matsunaga's alright. he's absically jsut a normal sane person.

Nobody wants a sane normal person in Build Fighters. :colbert:

To be honest while I like Fumina's revelation this episode, it kinda bugs me from a "they wasted half the show on that" perspective. Maybe it would have been sold better if we saw Fumina lacking self-confidence or Fumina sure that her skills were the worst or whatever, but the way Winning was presented when she build it is that Fumina was making a logical build choice to help support her team like other teams were doing.

I wonder if there was bad fan feedback over it or if this was the intended plot the entire time? The BF guys have acknowledged taking fan and producer feedback and giving the plot modifications before so I wonder if Japan was complaining about WINNING KNUCKLE too. I saw people bitching about it on MBs but that doesn't necessarily mean the staff altered it because of that.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jan 7, 2015

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
Really agreeing with the "step in the right direction" sentiment in regards to the episode, especially Sei and Wilfrid's "gently caress yeah let's have a fun match!" attitude in their fight. While Fumina's reaction to Shia helping Sekai was a bit funny in how over the top it was, would hope it doesn't become a running gag as it'll probably get pretty irritating in how cliche it is pretty quick.

Good ep overall, felt like an actual progression for the characters a bit.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I am wary about that episode preview promising more rivals. Hopefully they just mean they'll meet some of the million billion people that have been lurking in the background, spectating their matches and not that we will get introduced to even more rivals.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Srice posted:

I am wary about that episode preview promising more rivals. Hopefully they just mean they'll meet some of the million billion people that have been lurking in the background, spectating their matches and not that we will get introduced to even more rivals.

Well, they kinda need more rivals if they're going to fill out the fight list (and Team Osaka still hasn't officially appeared.) Even if they hop right to a Best 16 fight or whatever there aren't enough characters to fight each other yet.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Well, they kinda need more rivals if they're going to fill out the fight list (and Team Osaka still hasn't officially appeared.)

Well we know Sakai is going to be in it in some way thats for sure. I doubt the nerd trio are going to end up fighting team try, they'll probably job for another team or end up a joke fight like team free.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Well, they kinda need more rivals if they're going to fill out the fight list (and Team Osaka still hasn't officially appeared.) Even if they hop right to a Best 16 fight or whatever there aren't enough characters to fight each other yet.

Yeah that is true! I am just thinking that there are already so many rivals that are just kinda hanging around with not much done for their characters.

Even though they do need a lot for the tournament, it feels like way too many to manage.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Well we know Sakai is going to be in it in some way thats for sure. I doubt the nerd trio are going to end up fighting team try, they'll probably job for another team or end up a joke fight like team free.

Yeah, we saw him bow-scraping at the end of the previous episode. His teammates have super-generic designs so I expect it to be a fight where Lightning takes the lead.

The way this are panned out, we're probably going to get one more fight against a girl-heavy team (so Fumina can get her character episode), one against Sakai so Yuuma can get his episode, one against whoever that Jigen Haoh guy Saga knows is so Sekai can get his episode, a fight against Team Cloneface because they're been built up and since they are three nearly-identical looking kids they can be basically slotted in to fight whoever, and a fight against the Gunpla Academy team who each have their designated rivals on the Try team. (Admittedly it's pretty weak on Fumina's end but maybe they can develop that beyond "oh no, Sekai was interacting with a girl!") Gunpla Academy will probably be the final fight of the tournament but maybe not of the show.

That's 5 episodes right there, with a couple probably having an episode of buildup or so. We'll also probably get a filler fight just so they can show off the upgrades and at least one episode with Sekai's master although that may be mixed into the fight against the other Jigen Haoh guy.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

There'll probably be an episode or 2 dedicated to Team Gunpla Academy cleaning out a couple of teams since they're supposed to have focus as the main rivals.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oh right, I forgot about Sugita's Mobile Armor, so there's one more right there.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Good. We're creeping closer and closer to Super Robo. Beyond the Knuckle is a kick rear end giant flaming phoenix that you shoot out of your fists to blow up the moon. This is exactly what I wanted.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Really fun episode. Sekai BLEW UP THE MOON.

I really want to see whatever the Winning becomes next episode.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
i still love you meijin

sekai for next dude meijin, fumina for next girl meijin, yuuma for next gunpla cop

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Yuuma: Sekai is stupid, thoughtless, insensitive and bad-tempered
Fumina: . . .
Yuuma: also he is rude and the mere sight of him irritates me to no end. He is an insult not only to gunpla but to humanity itself.
Fumina: ...uh
Yuuma:
Fumina: ..aand?
Yuuma: oh, nothing, I was just talking to myself.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

At the rate Yuuma is changing he might be the next Mr. Ral.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I mean, he kinda showed sparks of understanding the meaning of 'fun' back in episode 10.

And then he serioused right back up in time to get mad at Fumina and Sekai for singing Anime Ja Nai.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

Cao Ni Ma posted:

a good way to know every other old character when he is old is to become a gunpla cop!

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Okay so the Blonde guy wants to become the next meijin. How exactly do they change meijins? does Yuuki have to die? get beaten in a gunpla battle? Are those glasses akin to a wrestling belt?

From what I could tell PPSP assigned the Meijin title in Bf, but they're gone now.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

current meijin picks a worthy successor and passes on the title and glasses

no need to complicate things imo

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Well Wilfrid's current look doesn't work as well with those shades. He needs some darker tones in his wardrobe.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I think my favorite part of Sekai BLOWING UP THE GODDAMN MOON is how the system just rolls with it. It's a testament to how much of a geek Nils is that he would design the system so that the moon on that particular battlefield isn't just a background fixture, but an actual piece of terrain that can be interacted with, and that the system is coded so that if something does blow it the gently caress up, it doesn't crash the entire system, it just switches it over from a night battle to day time so that the fight can keep going. :allears:

Episode ruled, looking forward to next week.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Cao Ni Ma posted:

The change has already begun. Soon his hair will look different and he'll have the irresistible urge to build only Goufs.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lessail posted:

current meijin picks a worthy successor and passes on the title and glasses

no need to complicate things imo

No, he has to fight the previous Meijin. TO THE DEATH. That is how they know about Assimilation. Every previous attempt has failed.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

paragon1 posted:

The change has already begun. Soon his hair will look different and he'll have the irresistible urge to build only Goufs.

He already has a fondness for the colour blue. And Mirai would make a decent Hamon.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Broken Loose posted:

Accurate YT Comment:
"Transient Gundam? More like Tekkaman Gundam."

As a fan of Tekkaman Blade I have no problems with this. I want a MG of that suit.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

They can always reuse the QanT mold. Its basically that but with a different weapon and more edgyness.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

No, he has to fight the previous Meijin. TO THE DEATH. That is how they know about Assimilation. Every previous attempt has failed.

in the future they will have wars about who the true successor to the meijin title is

"Show me the long form receipt meijin!!"

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

To be honest while I like Fumina's revelation this episode, it kinda bugs me from a "they wasted half the show on that" perspective. Maybe it would have been sold better if we saw Fumina lacking self-confidence or Fumina sure that her skills were the worst or whatever, but the way Winning was presented when she build it is that Fumina was making a logical build choice to help support her team like other teams were doing.

I wonder if there was bad fan feedback over it or if this was the intended plot the entire time? The BF guys have acknowledged taking fan and producer feedback and giving the plot modifications before so I wonder if Japan was complaining about WINNING KNUCKLE too. I saw people bitching about it on MBs but that doesn't necessarily mean the staff altered it because of that.

Thankfully they still have a whole show's worth of episodes yet, but all of the big development and stuff that they did this episode should've been done way earlier in the show. One of the big things that we're all excited about is that the characters are realizing battles are fun again. Except we just spent half a series having super serious battles and unnecessary character angst and after thinking about it for a while it does kinda lose the all the characters learned a great lesson and now everything's gonna be good again aspect and now it's more of a, wait, did they really just contradict the tone and stuff they've been setting for the ten or eleven episodes prior?

Apologies for the rambling, I'm still waking up.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

paragon1 posted:

How long until he sprouts a mustache, starts talking about the wind on his face, and then, in the middle of a battle, forgets to fight?

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

How long until he sprouts a mustache, starts talking about the wind on his face, and then, in the middle of a battle, forgets to fight?

He's already done the last thing a few times, so he's well on the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

quote:

GN-006 Cherudim Gundam (00)

Meijin saved the show. I'm not really sure I understand the point of having the first half of your show drag on until the previous characters show up to slap sense into the main crew, but they sure did do that. Maybe they wanted to do a joke on Destiny?

Really liked the extension they did for fairy dance at the end there. Yuuma has a personality again, Transient Gundam was cool, fight was nifty even if it was low budget, and the Build Burning finally did something besides martial arts... just in time for the upgrade. Okay then.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Shia helping Sekai to improve the Build Burning sat badly with me, because the whole point of the BBG was it was some insane custom made by Sei. Having someone else able to easily tune it up seems like it robs its special nature a little.

I think the implication was this was the first time the Build Burning has actually been repaired since Sekai got it. There's definitely no previous footage contradicting that! :v:

• Locked thread