Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Lt. Commander Data posted:

"Work at Legal Aid," they said. "Help the poor," they said. "Explain the parental presumption to a client and then have your glasses broken after they slap your in the face with their bible to cast out your demons," they didn't say.

Wow. Really?

I mean, getting hit is one thing...but the added "with a bible" just makes this beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

Lt. Commander Data posted:

"Work at Legal Aid," they said. "Help the poor," they said. "Explain the parental presumption to a client and then have your glasses broken after they slap your in the face with their bible to cast out your demons," they didn't say.

This is why I deal with criminals.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006
Do US schools do R v Brown? English law its 1L crim, & I think just about everyone is trigged by descriptions of people getting their dicks nailed to furniture, lol.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Zarkov Cortez posted:

This is why I deal with criminals.

I get court appointed to help criminals get away with crime-type things sometimes. Generally speaking they are much more gracious, civil and enjoyable to work with than pro bono legal aid referrals

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Rolled Cabbage posted:

Do US schools do R v Brown? English law its 1L crim, & I think just about everyone is trigged by descriptions of people getting their dicks nailed to furniture, lol.

Nothing that interesting, unfortunately.

Closest we get to that is someone bringing up the movie Fight Club.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Soothing Vapors posted:

I get court appointed to help criminals get away with crime-type things sometimes. Generally speaking they are much more gracious, civil and enjoyable to work with than pro bono legal aid referrals

My favorite pro bono case was a restraining order against an ex-boyfriend. Before I left firm life I did civil work for big companies almost exclusively in federal court, so obviously I never spent much time in court. The abused spouse/gf pro bono gigs were usually slam dunks because the abuser never had representation and would either sign a consent order or just not show up at all.

Until the one time the drug-dealer ex-bf shows up with his criminal lawyer and doesn't want to consent to the restraining order because his grandmother lives nextdoor to the ex-gf. There was a mighty battle, but I was triumphant, and then the sweet, attractive, poorly educated, ex-gf suggested we hang out sometime and I briefly glimpsed the dark path that laid before me. I did not take it, but in some alternative Slider universe - I did. I hope Alternate-HR is living out some sort of Heisenberg-esque life that all started with that step.

Lt. Commander Data
Jul 17, 2010

Lt. Commander Data fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Dec 27, 2015

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Soothing Vapors posted:

I was talking about this with a colleague recently who also used to work for a Legal Aid. My worst indigent criminal client has nothing on my worst Legal Aid client. Personally, I think it's because Legal Aid clients often don't have a lot of skin in the game and treat their civil cases as some sort of lotto ticket. When you're facing prison time, you have a lot more incentive to try and cooperate with your attorney.

Edit:

HiddenReplaced posted:

There was a mighty battle, but I was triumphant, and then the sweet, attractive, poorly educated, ex-gf suggested we hang out sometime and I briefly glimpsed the dark path that laid before me.

I'm sure she would not be the first client in history to show her appreciation on "the Couch of Restitution."

GamingHyena fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jan 7, 2015

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

HiddenReplaced posted:

My favorite pro bono case was a restraining order against an ex-boyfriend. Before I left firm life I did civil work for big companies almost exclusively in federal court, so obviously I never spent much time in court. The abused spouse/gf pro bono gigs were usually slam dunks because the abuser never had representation and would either sign a consent order or just not show up at all.

Until the one time the drug-dealer ex-bf shows up with his criminal lawyer and doesn't want to consent to the restraining order because his grandmother lives nextdoor to the ex-gf. There was a mighty battle, but I was triumphant, and then the sweet, attractive, poorly educated, ex-gf suggested we hang out sometime and I briefly glimpsed the dark path that laid before me. I did not take it, but in some alternative Slider universe - I did. I hope Alternate-HR is living out some sort of Heisenberg-esque life that all started with that step.

Now tell the one about the girl who got her lean on against your desk your 2L summer. TELL THAT ONE.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
White shoe big law blows. In other news, water is wet. Details at 11.

In more important news, I have 2 oral arguments this month and still managed to beat mass effect in a week. Priorities.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

ActusRhesus posted:

In more important news, I have 2 oral arguments this month and still managed to beat mass effect in a week. Priorities.

Your kids are basically orphans though

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

ActusRhesus posted:

As long as you had blue space elf sex.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
Have any of you used Post-9/11 GI Bill Benefits to pay for law school? After I finish undergrad this spring, I'll still have about 3 months of benefits to use. Does anyone have an idea of if that'll pay for at least a year based on the theory that if you have even a day left, the VA is known to pay for an entire semester?

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

I am playing ME 3, doing Renegade femshep first.

MoFauxHawk posted:

This person probably hears this kind of thing all the time though. For you it's a few seconds of your life and the joke is new to you, for her it's annoying, even if it's only being said about her and not being said to her directly in this case.

This is p legit but to bring it to the big picture I know a guy who calls a girl working in the same office "the black widow" because, get this, her husband died (this is said behind her back, of course, as is the fashion here). So there's a definite scale between "microaggressions" or whatever the kids call it and "being a sack of poo poo."

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Toona the Cat posted:

Have any of you used Post-9/11 GI Bill Benefits to pay for law school? After I finish undergrad this spring, I'll still have about 3 months of benefits to use. Does anyone have an idea of if that'll pay for at least a year based on the theory that if you have even a day left, the VA is known to pay for an entire semester?

I'm using it now. Three months will probably only get you one semester. Do you have any service connected disability? If so, you may be eligible for vocational rehab. Voc rehab will pay for your school and then some and will provide a monthly stipend as well even though it is a bit less than the 9-11 BAH. Go down to GiP and check out the education resource thread. There's a lot of good info in there.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

HiddenReplaced posted:

While I would hate to actually practice family law, we were retained to contest a protection order that a client's ex's girlfriend got against her. The order was obtained ex parte, the protected person lived in a different province, and the order was basically being used to prevent the client from seeing her extended family. The other lawyer was a former criminal defence lawyer. We got the order dropped after a couple court appearances, and charging a lot of money.

Another client (non-criminal) was contesting a protection order that her ex got against her. The client's ex was charged with assaulting her a couple days before they got the protection order (also ex parte) but conveniently omitted that in their application.

Moral of the story is protection orders == $$$$

Zarkov Cortez fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jan 7, 2015

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Your kids are basically orphans though

kid. Singular.

And you shut your wordhole. The cat is a great babysitter.

Seriously, though, if my not-yet-two year old's documented "fake crying" rehearsal time while at daycare and ability to condescendingly correct her daycare teachers when they screw up the requisite nursery song hand gestures isn't proof of my clear maternal bond and influence, I don't know what is.

As for the obsession with pulling fingernails and making stuffed animals assume stress positions...that I blame on my husband. Probably. In retrospect, nicknaming her "Al-Shababy" was probably a mistake.

Seriously though, gaming can be a great bonding experience...give the kid an unconnected wireless keyboard and let them "help." And make up fun songs while you play. Last night it was:

The eensy weensy sniper goes through the maintenance shaft
Out come the geth to launch a sneak attack
Boom go grenades and headshots, one two three
and mommy's little sniper just saved the galaxy.

I should probably start setting aside money for therapists now, shouldn't I?

ActusRhesus fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jan 7, 2015

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Toona the Cat posted:

some states also let vets who are residents attend public universities for free. May be worth moving, working for a year to set up residency, and then doing that.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'm using it now. Three months will probably only get you one semester. Do you have any service connected disability? If so, you may be eligible for vocational rehab. Voc rehab will pay for your school and then some and will provide a monthly stipend as well even though it is a bit less than the 9-11 BAH. Go down to GiP and check out the education resource thread. There's a lot of good info in there.

No, no disability.

ActusRhesus posted:

some states also let vets who are residents attend public universities for free. May be worth moving, working for a year to set up residency, and then doing that.

Intriguing. I may have to look into this.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

ActusRhesus posted:

I should probably start setting aside money for therapists now, shouldn't I?
Depends. Do you make her watch as you get down with Liara (or whoever is fuckable in ME3, I haven't played it yet)

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Soothing Vapors posted:

Depends. Do you make her watch as you get down with Liara (or whoever is fuckable in ME3, I haven't played it yet)

no...that happens after bedtime. Which luckily is early for toddlers.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

ActusRhesus posted:

no...that happens after bedtime. Which luckily is early for toddlers.

gently caress yeah it is. When I get home it's basically a rush to see how fast my kid wears out so I can do adult things, like drink beer and watch survivor and crochet.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/connecticut-teen-with-cancer-battles-state-to-stop-chemo/

After watching video of mom and her views on "putting poison into your body"

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/mother-of-connecticut-teen-forced-to-undergo-chemotherapy-speaks-out/

I'm inclined to think the phrase "knowing and informed" will be at the crux of this decision.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

gently caress yeah it is. When I get home it's basically a rush to see how fast my kid wears out so I can do adult things, like drink beer and watch survivor and crochet.

Are you female? If so, *fist to chest* solidarity. Let's talk about girl poo poo!

If not, *pfft* what are you, my grandma?

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

ActusRhesus posted:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/connecticut-teen-with-cancer-battles-state-to-stop-chemo/

After watching video of mom and her views on "putting poison into your body"

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/mother-of-connecticut-teen-forced-to-undergo-chemotherapy-speaks-out/

I'm inclined to think the phrase "knowing and informed" will be at the crux of this decision.

Precedent also favors treatment. Kids that are Jehovah's Witness cannot refuse blood transfusions if they are life saving. Hodgkin's lymphoma has gone from universally fatal to a point where there is a cure rate approaching 80+%. Are there side effects? Sure you will have complications from the treatment like nerve damage in the affected area but you'd have to argue that living with that is worse than death.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Nope, I'm a male. I also don't crochet, but my wife does a lot.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Nope, I'm a male. I also don't crochet, but my wife does a lot.

*nods*

you're free to go, sir.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Gee, way to suck the estrogen right outta the building.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

My principal is muttering over the fact that a family law trial that was scheduled for next week got adjourned until May because the Respondent shot himself in the head last month. He survived, but he was ruled to be incompetent. My principal told me that he "strenuously objected to the adjournment."

That's what happens when you do family law for thirty years I suppose.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Your honor, I know that during my plea canvass I was explicitly told I was waiving any ability to litigate this issue, and the PD's office filed a brief saying there is no merit...but I want to bring it anyway...and if you don't hear me, and dismiss my case even though I'm already convicted and this is a motion to correct my sentence, then I will sue you."

That was my day.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ActusRhesus posted:

"Your honor, I know that during my plea canvass I was explicitly told I was waiving any ability to litigate this issue, and the PD's office filed a brief saying there is no merit...but I want to bring it anyway...and if you don't hear me, and dismiss my case even though I'm already convicted and this is a motion to correct my sentence, then I will sue you."

That was my day.

I sort of enjoy it when random people threaten to sue me as if the very idea of a lawsuit will make me buckle and do whatever it is they want that day. We're a law firm, what is it they think we do here?

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

ActusRhesus posted:

Best mom ever.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

evilweasel posted:

I sort of enjoy it when random people threaten to sue me as if the very idea of a lawsuit will make me buckle and do whatever it is they want that day. We're a law firm, what is it they think we do here?

I had someone threaten a grievance against me out the blue because I took a contingency fee (which is a valid method of payment) in her case a year ago.

I told one of the other attorneys I office with and he told me "poo poo. I was wondering what that'd happen. If you don't get a grievance against you every three years, you're not practicing law."

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

ActusRhesus posted:

This is not getting nearly enough love.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

Lote posted:

Precedent also favors treatment. Kids that are Jehovah's Witness cannot refuse blood transfusions if they are life saving. Hodgkin's lymphoma has gone from universally fatal to a point where there is a cure rate approaching 80+%. Are there side effects? Sure you will have complications from the treatment like nerve damage in the affected area but you'd have to argue that living with that is worse than death.

Just had a decision in Ontario. Judge held that refusing treatment in favour of traditional Aboriginal medicine (in this case, treatment at a Florida massage studio for leukemia) fell under s35 of the Constitution Act, 1982 as an Aboriginal Right.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life...rticle21587859/

One of my professors was on tv discussing it shortly after http://tvo.org/video/208904/treating-aboriginal-rights - he's just been appointed to the Ontario Court of Appeal.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Got a call today and set up an interview to work as a summer clerk for a Federal judge as an externship. Interview is this coming Monday.

Just wondering if anyone has any advice. I'm a 1L, it's a district with a mix of cities and rural areas but the district is predominantly lower-middle class. I spoke with one of the judge's 3 clerks today and apparently all four (the clerks plus the judge) will be sitting in on the interview. My feeling is because I'm a 1L and this is only a summer externship it will mostly come down to whether they feel they can put up with me for a summer (they will have already read my writing sample) but I just don't know. Any advice or anecdotes are helpful.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Pook Good Mook posted:

I'm hesitant to even mention this but I too will be starting law school within a month. UIowa with a full tuition scholarship and a paid research position in years 2 and 3. And not that it matters but yes, I have a relative who is a partner at a respected law firm.

Feel free to save this post for future gloating.

So you had a good first half of 1L then?

Does anyone think he's better off trying to get work from his partner uncle or externing with the judge? I'm curious (pook I assume your goals are biglaw).

Hot Dog Day #91 fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jan 8, 2015

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

So you had a good first half of 1L then?

Does anyone think he's better off trying to get work from his partner uncle or externing with the judge? I'm curious (pook I assume your goals are biglaw).

Actually I'd like to do government work after school if I could. The only favors I'm calling in from my Uncle are contacts of the people who matter (the ones that hire summer interns) for government and city jobs he knows of. My Uncle isn't in a "biglaw" firm and honestly I'm happy to let everyone else compete for those jobs. The major reason I chose Iowa was cost; I have the luxury of being more flexible with my employment than people with huge debt. A few people have said on here that hiring committees for public work care most whether you have actually walked the walk and aren't just looking for good benefits so I'm primarily looking for government work. This does mean I won't get paid which isn't ideal obviously but since I can count most of the opportunities as externships and get credit for them it softens the blow.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Pook Good Mook posted:

Actually I'd like to do government work after school if I could. The only favors I'm calling in from my Uncle are contacts of the people who matter (the ones that hire summer interns) for government and city jobs he knows of. My Uncle isn't in a "biglaw" firm and honestly I'm happy to let everyone else compete for those jobs. The major reason I chose Iowa was cost; I have the luxury of being more flexible with my employment than people with huge debt. A few people have said on here that hiring committees for public work care most whether you have actually walked the walk and aren't just looking for good benefits so I'm primarily looking for government work. This does mean I won't get paid which isn't ideal obviously but since I can count most of the opportunities as externships and get credit for them it softens the blow.

What kind of government work do you intend to do?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

GamingHyena posted:

What kind of government work do you intend to do?

Criminal if possible but I'm more than happy to clerk after school for the experience.

I've only just started so I'm trying to keep an open mind but in my previous employment all I did was help out unappreciative rich shitheads who then tried to cheap out on the costs. I'm not really too enamored with working with people like that again so if it is going to be private sector I'd like it to be mid-size or smaller and it would be nice to litigate. Again, this is all pie in the sky and I'm both trying to keep an open mind and also get a varied background before I graduate. Which is one of the reasons I think a summer clerkship would be a great opportunity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Pook Good Mook posted:

Got a call today and set up an interview to work as a summer clerk for a Federal judge as an externship. Interview is this coming Monday.

Just wondering if anyone has any advice. I'm a 1L, it's a district with a mix of cities and rural areas but the district is predominantly lower-middle class. I spoke with one of the judge's 3 clerks today and apparently all four (the clerks plus the judge) will be sitting in on the interview. My feeling is because I'm a 1L and this is only a summer externship it will mostly come down to whether they feel they can put up with me for a summer (they will have already read my writing sample) but I just don't know. Any advice or anecdotes are helpful.

The best advice for judicial internships/externships - work your rear end off. I know you're signing up for like 150 hrs for 3 credits or something like that, but if you show up 40 hrs a week all summer and actually produce bench memos like the judge's clerk, your experience will be much better. Not only will you actually learn something, but you have a chance to make a good impression on the judge. Most interns are completely useless - it takes more time to fix what you write than it does to do it fresh. Judges have interns as a form of charity, with a possible lucky chance that they're useful. Accordingly, judges and/or clerks give interns tiny and crap projects at first, so that you don't screw up something important, and so they can figure out if you're useful. If you're good, you get more important projects. But that means you have to be spend enough time there to complete the project.

Why does this matter? One, I learned way more about doing anything in my internships than in any of my law school classes. Two, judges are insanely connected. Legal communities are tiny, tiny, tiny and a judge can open doors you don't even know exist. Want to do a clerkship? If the other judge is local I guarantee they'll call to ask if you're any good. Or the current clerks will gossip about whether you're any good. Want to work at a firm? If your judge likes you they can put in a good word or steer you to the right place. (Just don't be presumptuous about asking - ask more generally about "advice on applying to firms")