Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
scraps69
Dec 28, 2014
Sweet. I'll probably end up buying the Collectors edition before I get a PS4. Really looking forward to WiLD as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Good luck finding CE, the only ones I can find are auctions by loving scalpers..

scraps69
Dec 28, 2014

alex314 posted:

Good luck finding CE, the only ones I can find are auctions by loving scalpers..

Not a problem here in Aussie. Just need to do a pre-order through EB Games. Is there supply issues somewhere?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

scraps69 posted:

Not a problem here in Aussie. Just need to do a pre-order through EB Games. Is there supply issues somewhere?

In Poland it disappeared in matter of hours, it was even worse because CE was ~100$ in Europe it was around 150$, and you'll probably get Aussie taxed and pay 200$.. I could get XBone version, but I didn't want to buy a console for just that.

scraps69
Dec 28, 2014
Ah no good mate. At least there is demand in Poland. And you're right, we've got to cough up $200.00 for it. however It's worth it in my opinion.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Scalper rates are around 150-200$ now, I'd also consider it, but gently caress the scalpers. I'm at reserve list, but I have no high hopes for it.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

I'm not sure where you can still find it in the US. I preordered months ago and the only place I could still find it online was with Gamestop.

scraps69
Dec 28, 2014
Are you lads getting it on PC or console?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

scraps69 posted:

Are you lads getting it on PC or console?

PC definitely. :pcgaming:

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
PC, standard version, I don't go in for statues and it's the same map as the regular version.

Really looking forward to importing my save where Adda is still alive.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
PC version on GOG so I can get that discount.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
The System requirements for The Witcher 3 are out.

Minimum System Requirements

Intel CPU Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz
AMD CPU Phenom II X4 940
Nvidia GPU GeForce GTX 660
AMD GPU Radeon HD 7870
RAM 6GB
OS 64-bit Windows 7 or 64-bit Windows 8 (8.1)
DirectX 11
HDD Space 40 GB
Recommended System Requirements

Intel CPU Core i7 3770 3,4 GHz
AMD CPU AMD FX-8350 4 GHz
Nvidia GPU GeForce GTX 770
AMD GPU Radeon R9 290
RAM 8GB
DirectX 11
HDD Space 40 GB

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

havenwaters posted:

AMD CPU Phenom II X4 940
AMD GPU Radeon HD 7870
RAM 6GB
DirectX 11
HDD Space 40 GB

AMD GPU Radeon R9 290
RAM 8GB
DirectX 11
HDD Space 40 GB

Looks like I'm gonna upgrade my CPU/Motherboard. Any CPUs coming out between now and May or am I good to go ahead and upgrade now?

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Mr E posted:

Looks like I'm gonna upgrade my CPU/Motherboard. Any CPUs coming out between now and May or am I good to go ahead and upgrade now?

Nah nothing exciting, Intel is dragging its feet and AMD limped back to the drawing board with a bottle of cheap gin until 2016.
You want in i5-4690 for ~200$ and an ASrock H97M pro4 for 60-70$

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

sauer kraut posted:

Nah nothing exciting, Intel is dragging its feet and AMD limped back to the drawing board with a bottle of cheap gin until 2016.
You want in i5-4690 for ~200$ and an ASrock H97M pro4 for 60-70$

Yeah that's what I thought based on the PC Building thread, I've got a 970 for my card so I should be golden once this game comes out, and the May release lets me make my "canon" save.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I purchased the EE during Origin's $5 deal having never played Witcher 1. Going through the tutorial... there's alot going on here and I feel a bit lost. So many buttons and systems and trying to switch things up during combat without any pause available makes me feel like they put two game's worth of techniques into one game.

EDIT: Saw the link to the manual. That should help!

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jan 7, 2015

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
But what about graphics cards?

You have 180$ and play on 1080p: R9 280 3GB aka Radeon 7950, expect to tone down some settings
You have 230$ and play on 1080p: R9 280X 3GB, the high performance artist formerly known as Radeon 7970 and sold for 550$ in 2012
You have 270$ and play on 1440p: R9 290 4GB, the X version is not worth it for this model
You have 330$ and play on 1440p: Nvidia GTX 970 4GB, the fresh prince of belle power efficiency and Nvidia gimmicks
You are loaded and want to max out ambient-occluded bariometric puffy shadows on 1440p: Nvidia GTX 980, 550$

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 7, 2015

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Dick Trauma posted:

I purchased the EE during Origin's $5 deal having never played Witcher 1. Going through the tutorial... there's alot going on here and I feel a bit lost. So many buttons and systems and trying to switch things up during combat without any pause available makes me feel like they put two game's worth of techniques into one game.

The Spacebar is pause, maybe it's disabled in the tutorial area :confused:
1 Klick on enemy once
2 wait until cursor turns into little flaming sword, then immediately click again
3 Repeat 2 until bad guy dead.

Big enemies require the heavy fighting style, weaker ones don't combo with heavy and require switching fast style.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I refuse to believe that my GTX 580 that I just got two years ago won't be able to run it at all.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

sauer kraut posted:

The Spacebar is pause, maybe it's disabled in the tutorial area :confused:
1 Klick on enemy once
2 wait until cursor turns into little flaming sword, then immediately click again
3 Repeat 2 until bad guy dead.

Big enemies require the heavy fighting style, weaker ones don't combo with heavy and require switching fast style.

Spacebar for me is "roll" and there doesn't appear to be a pause function. I'll check next time I'm back in the game.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
Are you playing W1 or W2? I think the poster replying to you was confused.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

GrossMurpel posted:

I refuse to believe that my GTX 580 that I just got two years ago won't be able to run it at all.

1.5GB or 3GB version?
If it's the former, yeah sorry time to move on from the cut down Christmas 2010 card :sigh:
The 3GB one should be fine.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

sauer kraut posted:

1.5GB or 3GB version?
If it's the former, yeah sorry time to move on from the cut down Christmas 2010 card :sigh:

Can't check it right now but it should be the bigger version, considering I bought it in 2012 or so.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

GrossMurpel posted:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html

Generation number doesn't matter as much as model number, you should be fine.

sauer kraut posted:

1.5GB or 3GB version?

Eeeeeh. I really doubt it's not going to playable on some setting, however basic, with 1.5. It's not that small, even with the way the goalposts have been shifting recently.

It'd be nice if they'd give an actual number for VRAM, though.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

havenwaters posted:

Well, well. They seem to be pushing the envelope, again. I barely meet the minimum reqs. May have to get some more RAM, though.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

I just hope my i5-3550 will be enough. I meet the rest of the recommended requirements though I guess if games are now wanting 8GB of ram I may want a little more.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

havenwaters posted:

AMD CPU Phenom II X4 940
AMD GPU Radeon HD 7870
RAM 6GB
DirectX 11
HDD Space 40 GB

AMD GPU Radeon R9 290
RAM 8GB
DirectX 11
HDD Space 40 GB

I've got an HD 7870, looks like I'll probably want to upgrade if I want to play at 1920x1200 with all the graphics turned high :negative:

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

havenwaters posted:

I just hope my i5-3550 will be enough. I meet the rest of the recommended requirements though I guess if games are now wanting 8GB of ram I may want a little more.

Any i5 from the 2500 onwards is basically the same with minute refinements, mostly to onboard graphics.
Seeing as they support the Phenom II X4 from 2009 there is nothing to worry about.
Just don't buy an AMD CPU that was made during the last 5 years, they actually got worse :smithcloud:

No need to upgrade past 8GB for games in the foreseeable future, an SSD is much more important if you don't have one yet.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 7, 2015

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
I guess this is what I get for playing games on a midtier laptop I bought from Costco. I have enough RAM and my CPU might be able to scrape by, but my GPU is woefully underpowered for this game.

Good thing I won't be traveling away from my PS4 this summer.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

sauer kraut posted:

No need to upgrade past 8GB for games in the foreseeable future, an SSD is much more important if you don't have one yet.

I should be fine then so long as that old crucial m4 keeps holding out. I really should replace that but :effort:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I thought the search mechanic in DA:I was bad. Whoever put a cooldown on that dumb medallion should be imprisoned.

Also the inability to change the camera distance in a game that likes to surround you with enemies is pretty annoying.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

I'm hoping my 860m should be ok, since it's 750ti in mobile form.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Dick Trauma posted:

I thought the search mechanic in DA:I was bad. Whoever put a cooldown on that dumb medallion should be imprisoned.

Also the inability to change the camera distance in a game that likes to surround you with enemies is pretty annoying.

How does the search mechanic in DA:I work? Having no autoloot in DA:O was pretty annoying.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

GrossMurpel posted:

How does the search mechanic in DA:I work? Having no autoloot in DA:O was pretty annoying.

You press "search" and a ping emerges from your feet and all lootable items in range are highlighted on the map for you to walk over and pick up.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
It's basically identical to the wolf medallion except no cool down.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

havenwaters posted:

AMD CPU Phenom II X4 940
AMD GPU Radeon HD 7870
RAM 6GB
DirectX 11
HDD Space 40 GB

AMD GPU Radeon R9 290
RAM 8GB
DirectX 11
HDD Space 40 GB

Phew, luckily I recently changed my ancient Radeon 5750 to a slightly less obsolete GTX 660 so I can actually play this game. Might run like poo poo though.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

havenwaters posted:

AMD CPU Phenom II X4 940
AMD GPU Radeon HD 7870
RAM 6GB
DirectX 11
HDD Space 40 GB

Oh.

I have exactly the minimum processor and subpar GTX 560ti.

And I was hoping this machine would last couple more years. :ohdear:

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I'd probably still be rocking my 9800 GTX+ and E8500 if it wasn't for Witcher 2.

Backyarr
Jun 6, 2006
There's a pirate in your backyard!

Fallen Rib

adhuin posted:

Oh.

I have exactly the minimum processor and subpar GTX 560ti.

And I was hoping this machine would last couple more years. :ohdear:

If it's the i5-2500k, you've got nothing to worry about. If it's the Phenom, it might be time for an upgrade.
I seriously wonder if they did 8-thread optimizations since both the recommended processors work with 8 threads: hyperthreading on the i7 and AMD shared FPU modules on the FX. Guess we'll know soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Hell I'm still using a GTX 580, I'll probably upgrade for the Witcher though since my card is quite old and you can get some really beefy cards for basically peanuts these days.

• Locked thread