Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

W424 posted:

When they use the same stock "machine gun" sound effect for some hyped up super weapon like a minigun. Put some effort into it, in Terminator 2 they layered a loving cannon on Arnold's shotgun with several shotgun blasts.

I've definitely heard the noise of a gun being cocked in an action movie scene with bows and arrows being pointed at someone. Though, I was more irrationally impressed than irritated by it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
That was in Men in Tights and it was a joke.

Which is not to say sound effects aren't used dumbly. Swords and knives, in particular, make really loving silly sounds all the time.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Squalitude posted:

I've definitely heard the noise of a gun being cocked in an action movie scene with bows and arrows being pointed at someone. Though, I was more irrationally impressed than irritated by it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzuooxKRfyg

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

thespaceinvader posted:

That was in Men in Tights and it was a joke.

Which is not to say sound effects aren't used dumbly. Swords and knives, in particular, make really loving silly sounds all the time.

Ha, they did the same 'that gun sound doesn't belong here...' bit in Hot Fuzz: Nicholas Angel is in a shooting tent with a single-shot pellet rifle. Then follows a quick series of camera shots of targets getting taken out, and then a single, echoing 'plink' of a shell casing bouncing at the end. Then they proceed to take the piss out of the 'every gun on-screen must sound like all of the internals are jumping around' trope during one of the major action scenes.

I will always smile when this classic scene of Omar from The Wire shows up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMm1Wih0kug&t=25s

Yeah I know why it's done and all, it's just funny seeing a clear view of a double-barreled shotgun getting brought up to the hip, and then 'CLICK CLACK' a second later.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Inzombiac posted:

Walking Dead:

It's a Goon tradition to poo poo all over this apocalypse soap opera but I love it.
That being said the scene in the latest finale just killed my interest and showed how lazy the writing can be. Of course, I'm talking about Beth stabbing the cop for no good reason just to be shot in the head so they could write that actress out of the show.
That and Bob freaking out the cannibals by saying he was "tainted meat" as if that follows the logic of these types of zombies. Go hogwild, cannibal jerks. You're all going to turn into zombies when you die because everyone is a carrier even when alive.

I'm late to the party, but I started watching this on Netflix last month, and I was really, really into it until the anime samurai showed up. It went from an engaging story about ordinary people struggling to survive in a horrible world where both zombies and your fellow man can't be trusted to something very silly in an instant. I watched a few episodes past that point but my interest waned pretty quickly and I ended up shutting it off for good.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I'm late to the party, but I started watching this on Netflix last month, and I was really, really into it until the anime samurai showed up. It went from an engaging story about ordinary people struggling to survive in a horrible world where both zombies and your fellow man can't be trusted to something very silly in an instant. I watched a few episodes past that point but my interest waned pretty quickly and I ended up shutting it off for good.

You quit right before the best season (half-season?) they've had starts.

W424
Oct 21, 2010
The Nic Cage version of Wickerman just started on TV and they used uppercase Papyrus font for the credits, shameful.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

W424 posted:

The Nic Cage version of Wickerman just started on TV and they used uppercase Papyrus font for the credits, shameful.

Ahem

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Why do people hate papyrus so much?

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Len posted:

Speaking only for myself, I hate it because it's the go-to font for New Age claptrap and religious "pregnancy counseling" (read: "abortion shaming") centers, and I can't shake that image from my mind any time I see it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Len posted:

It shows a distinct lack of effort on the part of the person who made the logo. Instead of making their own unique lettering or logo design that at least looks a little different than the default they just went "yeah this'll do".

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

W424 posted:

When they use the same stock "machine gun" sound effect for some hyped up super weapon like a minigun. Put some effort into it, in Terminator 2 they layered a loving cannon on Arnold's shotgun with several shotgun blasts.

The Sleepy Hollow TV show does this really well. Everyone's guns sound pretty normal...And then the Headless Horseman shows up and all of his guns boom and roar like they were forged in Hellfire.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Polaron posted:

The Sleepy Hollow TV show does this really well. Everyone's guns sound pretty normal...And then the Headless Horseman shows up and all of his guns boom and roar like they were forged in Hellfire.

The notion of the Headless Horseman showing up and having guns, to say nothing of ones that sound like hellfire, has piqued my interest in this show. Is it any good?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Midnight Raider posted:

The notion of the Headless Horseman showing up and having guns, to say nothing of ones that sound like hellfire, has piqued my interest in this show. Is it any good?

Yes. The basic premise of the show is that during the Revolutionary War Oxford professor Ichabod Crane came to America and ended up joining the war on the America side. During a battle with a Hessian mercenary wearing a mask Crane is mortally wounded, but not before cutting the mercenary's head off. Crane awakens 200 years later to discover that the now headless mercenary has become the Horseman of Death.

Now a man out of time, Crane teams up with Sleepy Hollow sheriff's department Lt Abbie Mills as they battle the forces of the demon Moloch who is attempting to bring about the end of the world.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

muscles like this? posted:

Yes. The basic premise of the show is that during the Revolutionary War Oxford professor Ichabod Crane came to America and ended up joining the war on the America side. During a battle with a Hessian mercenary wearing a mask Crane is mortally wounded, but not before cutting the mercenary's head off. Crane awakens 200 years later to discover that the now headless mercenary has become the Horseman of Death.

Now a man out of time, Crane teams up with Sleepy Hollow sheriff's department Lt Abbie Mills as they battle the forces of the demon Moloch who is attempting to bring about the end of the world.

I only caught a few episodes in the middle of season 1 but I thought it was fun.

The fish out of water, holy poo poo my partner (it immediately becomes a buddy cop show, irrc) is a woman, a black woman! works somehow.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The first season is very fast paced and unlike a lot of shows of its ilk they do a lot to buck trends. Like Abbie and Ichabod pretty quickly do stuff like involve her commanding officer who gets on board about the whole "end of the world" thing.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Hulebr00670065006e posted:

Gasoline explosions everywhere...
If you are going to blow some poo poo up in a movie, please use some high velocity explosives, unless ofc it really is a bunch of gasoline being blowin up.

21 Jump Street did a pretty funny bit on this exact thing.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Midnight Raider posted:

It's pretty great. The Horseman's shotgun sounds like a goddamn cannon going off.

Also Ichabod's fish out of water thing is actually hilarious. He makes friends with the OnStar lady.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Polaron posted:

It's pretty great. The Horseman's shotgun sounds like a goddamn cannon going off.

Also Ichabod's fish out of water thing is actually hilarious. He makes friends with the OnStar lady.

Also finds skinny jeans a sure sign of the apocalypse

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

syscall girl posted:

I think I did cry at that. I didn't even know who Sia was but Breathe Me was a good song.

poo poo I teared up at the end of that episode of Rick and Morty where they had to bury their own bodies after Rick managed to Cronenburg up the whole planet. That Mazzy Star song is awesome. Getting older means you get emotional easier I think.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Memento posted:

poo poo I teared up at the end of that episode of Rick and Morty where they had to bury their own bodies after Rick managed to Cronenburg up the whole planet. That Mazzy Star song is awesome. Getting older means you get emotional easier I think.

And the fact that they called back to it two episodes later for serious emotional closure cemented how ridiculously well the show handles "hopeful nihilism" for me.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Polaron posted:

I've only seen maybe the first half of season 1, but what I liked about what I saw was that they don't do the typical thing where the traveler from the past is dumbfounded by everything he sees. He's not going around, pointing at lightbulbs and asking why that candle looks funny, or why they are tiny men in that box playing music, or thinking that a car is a demon, or has a horse hidden inside, or something.

He was a smart, well-educated man, and basically immediately understands he's in the future and technology has advanced. He'll still ask questions and be confused, but not in a way that makes you think he's retarded.

He also doesn't typically respond to a metaphor or pop-culture reference he doesn't understand (which is most of them,) by saying something stupid and groan-worthy because it took it 100% literally.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

"Listen Ichabod, this music is by The Beatles."

"How did they teach insects to play instruments?"

(stares unblinkingly into camera for 90 seconds before episode ends)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

DrBouvenstein posted:

I've only seen maybe the first half of season 1, but what I liked about what I saw was that they don't do the typical thing where the traveler from the past is dumbfounded by everything he sees. He's not going around, pointing at lightbulbs and asking why that candle looks funny, or why they are tiny men in that box playing music, or thinking that a car is a demon, or has a horse hidden inside, or something.

He was a smart, well-educated man, and basically immediately understands he's in the future and technology has advanced. He'll still ask questions and be confused, but not in a way that makes you think he's retarded.

He also doesn't typically respond to a metaphor or pop-culture reference he doesn't understand (which is most of them,) by saying something stupid and groan-worthy because it took it 100% literally.

One of my favorite examples of that is when Abbie buys him a cell phone (a crappy flip phone) and later he comes back complaining about how she bought him a cheap one.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

muscles like this? posted:

One of my favorite examples of that is when Abbie buys him a cell phone (a crappy flip phone) and later he comes back complaining about how she bought him a cheap one.

Or when she teaches him to drive, and you expect him to be confused by it but instead he gets it.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Haven't watched the show (but I'm about to change that), but the time travel stuff I dig.

It's handled pretty well in Forever. Technically the lead is immortal and has lived 200 years, but he's still sort of a stick in the mud and doesn't follow technology, and it makes it kinda hilarious when he's telling someone "Ok, now listen carefully. On your cellular phone there is a camera, and I need you to send me a jay pee gee of the picture you take. You do this by... oh ok, got it".

I think my favorite was him freaking out about the threat of his breakfast being microwaved because it's unnatural.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I'm getting really tired of the 'quirky, cute IT girl' thing whenever I see it. Like, this girl is very attractive and sexy, and super into computers (and a master hacker of course) that'd be a catch for any guy, even looks stunning in formal wear, but then she's like, kind of awkward and so apparently she's completely undesirable.

I guess this applies to a lot of 'quirky' female characters but I've been watching a lot of Arrow lately as my go-to turn-off-brain show, and that blonde woman sidekick's character is just so...ugh. She's written to be a nerd's wet dream.

Edit: Oh, and also Windows 8, Windows 8 devices everywhere. From tablets to phones to PCs, nothing else exists in the Arrow universe. Normally I don't mind product placement, but it's so obvious, whenever a device is handed to someone and you see the dashboard before whatever application is opened up.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Did you just diss Kinzie and Pam in the same loving post?!

Wait you dissed Cheryl. That's even worse!

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Mans posted:

Cheryl hates her computer. I think the animated example would be Max from Batman Beyond. Personally I just hate hacking as a superpower. I've seen enough people get to the part of the DOD website that's all glowy green text arrayed in circles already, and doing it even faster doesn't impress anymore.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Morpheus posted:

I'm getting really tired of the 'quirky, cute IT girl' thing whenever I see it. Like, this girl is very attractive and sexy, and super into computers (and a master hacker of course) that'd be a catch for any guy, even looks stunning in formal wear, but then she's like, kind of awkward and so apparently she's completely undesirable.

I guess this applies to a lot of 'quirky' female characters but I've been watching a lot of Arrow lately as my go-to turn-off-brain show, and that blonde woman sidekick's character is just so...ugh. She's written to be a nerd's wet dream.

Edit: Oh, and also Windows 8, Windows 8 devices everywhere. From tablets to phones to PCs, nothing else exists in the Arrow universe. Normally I don't mind product placement, but it's so obvious, whenever a device is handed to someone and you see the dashboard before whatever application is opened up.

Yeah the AV Club had a good column on this subject a few months back.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Mans posted:

I...don't know who you're referring to? Only Pam and Cheryl I know are from Archer, and they're awesome because Pam kicks rear end and Cheryl is loving nuts.

Google tells me Kinzie is from NCIS. Yes, this is exactly what I'm talking about. That's when I started noticing how annoying it was.

Edit: Wrong character, I'm thinking of that hacking girl from NCIS.

Lagomorphic posted:

Yeah the AV Club had a good column on this subject a few months back.

This highlights some of the problems I was talking about, though it's more about the role of the women themselves, where I just am really tired of the character.

Morpheus has a new favorite as of 22:48 on Jan 7, 2015

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Morpheus posted:

I...don't know who you're referring to? Only Pam and Cheryl I know are from Archer, and they're awesome because Pam kicks rear end and Cheryl is loving nuts.

Google tells me Kinzie is from NCIS. Yes, this is exactly what I'm talking about. That's when I started noticing how annoying it was.

I was thinking Kinzie from Saints Row. She gets a free pass.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Morpheus posted:

Google tells me Kinzie is from NCIS.

Your Google is broken. That character's name is "Kensi", and she's not the quirky IT girl. That'd be Abby in regular NCIS and Nell in NCIS:LA, neither of whom are seen as undesirable within the show.

And Kinzie from Saint's Row is only seen as somewhat undesirable in-universe, and only by certain characters, not because she's "a little awkward" but because she's frighteningly bug-gently caress nuts.

EDIT: And that AV Club article is missing one of the biggest problems underpinning the issue altogether: most screenwriters can't write geeks at all.

Kugyou no Tenshi has a new favorite as of 22:52 on Jan 7, 2015

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

I think we can all agree though that Abby the perky goth lab tech on NCIS is the worst character on any show ever.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

theironjef posted:

I think we can all agree though that Abby the perky goth lab tech on NCIS is the worst character on any show ever.

Also that NCIS is the worst show ever.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

nucleicmaxid posted:

The Big Bang Theory exists.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Coffee And Pie posted:

The Big Bang Theory exists.

Ugh you're right. Second worst show ever.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Abby would be a great character on BBT. She's another walking collection of unrelated tropes associated with nerds, she'd integrate immediately.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Sleepy Hollow follows one trope I wish would loving die.

Woman wants the 'simple things' in life, not things like diamonds and wonderful paintings and poo poo like that! Because they are better for it!

It plays out in a ton of movies too, especially in terms of Big City Rich Living (never desirable) and Old Town Cute and Quirky place where people are Wholesome and Kind and Supportive, not like those fuckers in the Big City.

Jesus Christ can't we ONCE have a woman who isn't playing a bad girl/villain/gold digger go, "You know what, I DO enjoy the fancy and finer things in life and won't marry that oddball scientist but instead the rich guy who treats me well even if he shows me off a little. I don't want to marry the dude who still lives a mile down the road from his parents' trailer and does odd-man jobs!" But ambition always leads to downfall and Nice Girls like the Hometown Guy.

Sleepy Hollow somewhat is guilty of 'modern views in old time movies,' but I saw it worse in poo poo like The Patriot, where, so we like the main characters, who are usually white people, who have modern views on poo poo like slavery, like they might HAVE slaves but they teach them to read and pay them and etc. gently caress, didn't Sleepy Hollow show Thomas Jefferson and his slave (who was also his dead wife's half sister) Sally Hemmings as equal lovers, rather than master and property?

This was flipped entirely in American Horror Story: Coven, where Kathy Bates plays a horrible sadistic slave owner who tortured her slaves, woke in the modern world. She vaguely got along, but when pressed she said the world was mad, the negros needed to be back in chains, and this entire place was a nuthouse and she would never believe otherwise. She had her worldview and even Barack in the White House made her cry in denial that such a thing could happen.

Did anyone else see Into the Woods? Why the hell did they pretty much axe the Baker's Father from the movie, save for one tiny scene?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

nucleicmaxid posted:

gently caress you. Gibbs is dreamy. :3: