Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
I just wanted to hop back into the thread and thank everyone. I'm really getting into Judo and I look forward to lessons every week. Thanks for helping talk me into it. Now I just have to worry about making good progress and losing weight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Shiny-sides
Dec 24, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

I guess I pictured double peak activation as tightly correlated with 2 peaks in a measured acceleration waveform. So if you could measure it, the more uniform your acceleration was, the further off from DPA you would be.

That would make sense in a purely mechanical system, but the physiology of muscles gets in the way here. There is an inverse relationship between force and velocity in muscles. That is, the more force you produce the less velocity the movement will have. That is the reasons for the double peak, peaks in muscular activity to first initiate the movement and then at the last moment to stiffen the system right before impact. The rest of the time you want to stay relaxed to allow for increased velocity.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Omglosser posted:

There is a fencing school about 45min from where I live, anybody know anything about it? http://nwifencingclub.com/2401.html
I'm interested in fencing and I once heard mastering fencing being compared to getting a doctoral degree. I have experience in Arnis but I doubt that'll help.

I know assistant teachers who have been practicing for about a decade (maybe 8 to 10 years) who are still considered provosts by their masters. There's always something to learn with fencing, which is pretty amazing.

Speaking of which, I just finished my 1000 cuts experience at a dojo in NYC. It's my teacher's teacher's teacher's school, and despite being in his mid thirties he has been practicing katana-based martial arts for nearly thirty years. His speed and precision is unlike anything I have ever seen, and he does it all with a smile on his face (here's his youtube channel to give you an idea of what I'm talking about http://www.youtube.com/user/ricehatman/videos).

Basically 1000 cuts is a new years tradition and it's exactly what it sounds like: you do 1000 cuts over the course of maybe 30 minutes. The callous on my left big toe tore off and I have fresh callouses on my hands, two things I haven't had since I started fencing almost two years ago. Afterwords we went out for Japanese food and beer, which are apparently very traditional to the art. I went with my teacher, we both got drunk, and we're both completely wiped out by the experience. It was great fun, and it's one of the reasons why I appreciate martial arts so much. It helped me set personal goals for myself this year, and I hope you all do the same.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Lessons on the uppercut:

1) Best punch in boxing
2) It is purely a counter punch, or a combination punch
3) As it is, it will never defeat or hurt your opponent, or sparring partner
4) But if you use it as a set-up, or with angle shifts, it is magic

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Jab is obviously the best punch obviously.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

ICHIBAHN posted:

No.

Just the most useful and important one, which you can't do without.

(edit: but that's just me, you can be someone who only jabs and still own)

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Tiger uppercut is the best punch

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
It has the best body rotation

edit: too deadly to train though

Ligur fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jan 6, 2015

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Crazy Achmed posted:

Ah, yeah, foil. It's definitely a technical error on my part, refs usually call it remise in time. By "stronger parry" I mean "more fully-formed", I guess - moving a bit further out with my arm/forte, or putting a little more force into the beat, to move my opponent's point just that little bit more off target. There are a couple of tall guys in my club who rely far too heavily on remises and counters, and being shorter I need a little more time to close distance before they're back on target. You're right - rote drilling is definitely the way to make me not panic/spaz out here.

Do this drill, over and over again:

Start at extension distance.
Fencer A extends into 4 line
Fencer B parry 4 riposte

Do the riposte from extension distance, lunge distance, advance lunge distance (for distance changes, start at extension, and Fencer A retreats once parried). Do this a few hundred times.

Make it more complex - give Fencer A the choice on the retreats.

After you do that 100 times a practice for weeks on end, have Fencer A do indirect attacks. Next, give them the choice. Now Fencer A can attempt to counter-parry, with you disengaging and hitting in another line. Do that a few hundred times. Now give Fencer A the choice of counter-parry or not. You don't have to do all of these options at the same time - work through them.

The goal is not speed, it's precision. Do it slowly, do it right, take your time. Speed comes.

From there, you can work up to drills where you're both trying to be successful. These are a lot better for competition training, because it's much more realistic - both fencers are trying to score.

For example, Fencer A is now attempting to score on either a direct OR indirect attack (with 1 disengage). Have the Fencer B attempt to parry 4 OR (in the event of a disengage) attempting a second parry with circle 4. In both situations, have this fencer score on the riposte.

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jan 7, 2015

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Where's that fencing thread?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Crazy Achmed posted:

This is basically sabre fencing technique. Most of the speed of the cut comes from the wrist and fingers. (Too much arm is discouraged as it adds force but not really any speed, which is bad in this case.) I've been told it's much the same in badminton as well...

While hanging out with the katana students the head instructor told me that the person who developed the lightsaber fighting style in the Star Wars prequel trilogy took influences from a bunch of different weapon-based martial arts and...tennis.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

ICHIBAHN posted:

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

ICHIBAHN posted:

I thought my boxing coach would cry (tears of joy) when I said one day my only goal for the month was to learn a stiffer jab.

I really miss striking. Bjj is great and kinda feels like a marriage at this point, through thick and thin but I keep wishing my work schedule allowed me to hit up so of those kickboxing classes at my gym.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I've never been into boxing, never seen a boxing match but I figure through watching MMA that jab is king.

Speaking of, maybe going to boxing class on Thursday, what vaguely can I expect? Been doing, and loving, bjj these last few months but I'd like to give striking one class at least, cross it off the list.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
What the gently caress

Apparently this is a real sport. Florentine football from the 1500s, made to teach soldiers fighting. You got about 60 people in the field and most of them fight, while the dude with the ball tries to kick the ball to the goal.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Ligur posted:

Lessons on the uppercut:

1) Best punch in boxing
2) It is purely a counter punch, or a combination punch
3) As it is, it will never defeat or hurt your opponent, or sparring partner
4) But if you use it as a set-up, or with angle shifts, it is magic

You can use a lead upper after a feint when you have your opponent against the ropes.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

ManOfTheYear posted:

What the gently caress

Apparently this is a real sport. Florentine football from the 1500s, made to teach soldiers fighting. You got about 60 people in the field and most of them fight, while the dude with the ball tries to kick the ball to the goal.

All those boxer fractures and concussions

Also :stare:

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
How is this 30v30 MMA match thing not an Olympic sport? I kinda feel that the "techniques" might not be the most refined in this... I mean you are still supposed to score, right? You grapple a dude and get in a mount and what? You just eliminated a player from both teams...

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I tried my first day of jujitsu last night. I am a 38 year old man who weighs in near 300. I thought I would die halfway through the class. The instructor told me I was trying too hard, and to slow it down and go at my own pace. I felt like a ragdoll afterwards, but I made it through. I think I am going to sign up.

Its Gracie Barra jujitsu. You have to wear their gi and buy it from them, but they let me use buying the gi as the first month's payment when I enrolled my son. I imagine they'll do the same for me. It is about 120.00, iirc. There is a contract, but you can get out of it with 60 days notice, which I guess is OK. I would rather buy my own gi and not have a contract, but these guys seem pretty good in spite of all that. My son is competing in tournaments (he didn't win, but he was put in against two guys with 2-3 times more experience than him, and managed to get mount at least) after about 6 months, and he spars every time he goes to practice, so at least it seems like he's learning legit jujitsu.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
It gets much easier, sick with it. I started the same thing 4 months ago and can't get enough now. I felt the same about the contract thing though in my group there are a few who turn up in whatever kind of gi they want.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
We had a dude who barfed on his first day. He sicked with it but sadly didn't stick with it. :(

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Need a cup recommendation that won't crush my balls when grappling. Not super happy with the Shock Doctor I've been using since forever. I'm thinking of ordering the Jaco Guardian cup/shorts combo from Title but thought I'd ask in here first.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jan 7, 2015

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

We had a guy who quit first day when he saw blood on someone's gi. Also had a girl quit because you can't wear shoes in Judo and she did not want people looking at her feet.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

We've had people stop coming when they realized the beginner classes don't have blade-on-blade contact and they're given nylon swords for those classes rather than steel. I mean, if you make it past the 3 beginner classes you can immediately take intermediate, which is all working with a partner, but whatever.

Also someone mentioned masturbation on the parent group's Facebook page and someone quit because of that, but honestly if you can't enjoy a good masturbation joke we don't want you.

Do any of you have experiences with people coming in thinking they're hot poo poo, but it's plainly obvious that they have no technique whatsoever?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Verisimilidude posted:

Do any of you have experiences with people coming in thinking they're hot poo poo, but it's plainly obvious that they have no technique whatsoever?

In the last few years I think it has diminished because martial arts and bjj are more in the public consciousness but there are always some people that, I can tell, are getting extremely confused and then frustrated when my skinny rear end is ragdolling them or otherwise dominating the roll.

Usually, they are very complimentary and sometimes mention that it makes them want to train because it obviously works, very few kinda collapse under their ego and disappear very shortly.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Verisimilidude posted:

We had this pretty big guy come to my boxing club who had "won his first fight" so he said. I sparred with him and he couldn't move for poo poo, all I had to do was hop in and out throwing jabs. He got really frustrated because he wasn't able to land a full force hit on me. Haven't seen him since.

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

Also had a girl quit because you can't wear shoes in Judo and she did not want people looking at her feet.

That's so sad, the ladies have it tough like we couldn't imagine.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

We had a guy who quit first day when he saw blood on someone's gi. Also had a girl quit because you can't wear shoes in Judo and she did not want people looking at her feet.

No one told her about the stupid socky things?

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Verisimilidude posted:

While hanging out with the katana students the head instructor told me that the person who developed the lightsaber fighting style in the Star Wars prequel trilogy took influences from a bunch of different weapon-based martial arts and...tennis.

Wouldn't surprise me. My cut only comes from my fingers, and I'm even able to whip the blade a little bit.

ICHIBAHN posted:

So, is someone going to start one up or should I?

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

Rabhadh posted:

We had this pretty big guy come to my boxing club who had "won his first fight" so he said. I sparred with him and he couldn't move for poo poo, all I had to do was hop in and out throwing jabs. He got really frustrated because he wasn't able to land a full force hit on me. Haven't seen him since.

Seanbaby's line about this always strikes me as accurate: I saw permutations of this at my old boxing gym (which was in a rather lovely neighborhood in Toronto) a dozen times, at least:

However, here's what I've noticed about "street fighters." Every time a new guy at a boxing gym has no "formal training" other than the mean streets, go ahead and take out your mouthpiece, because this is what's happening next: First, he'll take a long time to explain how he can fight orthodox or southpaw, which always means that he can't do either. Next, he'll throw noodley punches at your shoulders for half a round, mostly with his eyes closed. This sets up his finishing move of forming the time-out signal with his hands while he pants about still getting over a cold. If you're really lucky, he'll thank you after all that, warrior to warrior, for a glorious battle. All I'm saying is that as far as I can tell, the street trains you to fight about as well as corn syrup and lupus.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

BirdOfPlay posted:

Wouldn't surprise me. My cut only comes from my fingers, and I'm even able to whip the blade a little bit.

So, is someone going to start one up or should I?
Sorry! I've been out of the loop for a bit. I'll finish writing it and post tonight. Thanks for the advice, too, it sounds good.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

olylifter posted:

Seanbaby's line about this always strikes me as accurate: I saw permutations of this at my old boxing gym (which was in a rather lovely neighborhood in Toronto) a dozen times, at least:

However, here's what I've noticed about "street fighters." Every time a new guy at a boxing gym has no "formal training" other than the mean streets, go ahead and take out your mouthpiece, because this is what's happening next: First, he'll take a long time to explain how he can fight orthodox or southpaw, which always means that he can't do either. Next, he'll throw noodley punches at your shoulders for half a round, mostly with his eyes closed. This sets up his finishing move of forming the time-out signal with his hands while he pants about still getting over a cold. If you're really lucky, he'll thank you after all that, warrior to warrior, for a glorious battle. All I'm saying is that as far as I can tell, the street trains you to fight about as well as corn syrup and lupus.

I occasionally evangelize my gym at work. Any time I bring it up around a specific co-worker he launches into this big speech about how he learned to fight on the street (he's white middle class) and that he wouldn't be able to control himself (probably true) and would put anyone he was partnered with in the hospital. (probably not) He's normally a pretty chill guy too, but some people just have a ridiculous ideas about their fighting abilities.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

The Fool posted:

I occasionally evangelize my gym at work. Any time I bring it up around a specific co-worker he launches into this big speech about how he learned to fight on the street (he's white middle class) and that he wouldn't be able to control himself (probably true) and would put anyone he was partnered with in the hospital. (probably not) He's normally a pretty chill guy too, but some people just have a ridiculous ideas about their fighting abilities.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/report-average-male-4000-less-effective-in-fights,36321/

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

The Fool posted:

Whilst in the streets, it's all about how crazy you can become.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Keg posted:

Whilst in the streets, it's all about how crazy you can become.

I have to admit one time a long time ago I was kinda drunk, kinda tired and my friend , who always made this argument, brought this point up for nth time.

I explained to him that, in a situation in which we both went crazy, I would hold him on the ground and chew his face off like an ape, and there was probably nothing he could really do to stop me. Maybe its coincidence but since then he's never mentioned that line of reasoning.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Hello thread,

I would like a pair of shin guards that are "nice". The kind I have right now is like a panel of foam connected to three straps. Simple, basic, but overall pretty good buy.

I've had them for about 3 years. They've done alright but are getting to the point that their protection is fading and I have this awful deep tissue bruise in my left leg so I'd like a solid shin guard.

I'd like a recommendation for something that's a bit more upscale. I don't like the "sock" style ones. I like the strap style. Can anyone recommend one?
How about this one? http://www.amazon.com/Fairtex-Pro-S...hai+shin+guards

mewse
May 2, 2006

Xguard86 posted:

I have to admit one time a long time ago I was kinda drunk, kinda tired and my friend , who always made this argument, brought this point up for nth time.

I explained to him that, in a situation in which we both went crazy, I would hold him on the ground and chew his face off like an ape, and there was probably nothing he could really do to stop me. Maybe its coincidence but since then he's never mentioned that line of reasoning.

Whoa, I didn't mean THAT crazy

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

TheReverend posted:

Hello thread,

I would like a pair of shin guards that are "nice". The kind I have right now is like a panel of foam connected to three straps. Simple, basic, but overall pretty good buy.

I've had them for about 3 years. They've done alright but are getting to the point that their protection is fading and I have this awful deep tissue bruise in my left leg so I'd like a solid shin guard.

I'd like a recommendation for something that's a bit more upscale. I don't like the "sock" style ones. I like the strap style. Can anyone recommend one?
How about this one? http://www.amazon.com/Fairtex-Pro-S...hai+shin+guards

Top king ones are the best you can get imo and everyone will come in here and agree. There's another brand that is a similar name but it's slipping my mind right now and is the same poo poo (some dude went and started his own company or something from top king )

If you have the patience place a nice order of poo poo you want from Thailand.

-edit nevermind the original brand is King these are the ones I have and they rule

King Professional Shin Guards - Blue w/ White Piping - Medium https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009QYPLXM/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_04HRub0D8A15R

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jan 8, 2015

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Xguard86 posted:

This is relevant, and also good, because Bas Rutten is also good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeA__6aVkK0&t=147s

Keg fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jan 8, 2015

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

General Emergency posted:

How is this 30v30 MMA match thing not an Olympic sport? I kinda feel that the "techniques" might not be the most refined in this... I mean you are still supposed to score, right? You grapple a dude and get in a mount and what? You just eliminated a player from both teams...

I was lucky enough to be in Florence during the weekend these games were held in 2013. It was amazing. The only rules are no sucker punches, no attacks to the head of a downed player, and put a ball in a net that runs the width of the end zone. That last rule usually involves passing the ball around your own end zone for 10-20 minutes until everyone is too tired to chase you or everyone is fighting someone else. It's a pretty intense atmosphere because the teams are from different regions of Florence so there ends up being a lot of fighting in the crowd as well. Honestly, if you're ever in Italy in the summer, try and schedule time in Florence around the games. Florence is a great city on it's own, but there is something special about going to the most famous art gallery in the world during the day and then in the evening going and watching 50 grown men beat the poo poo out of each other for a cow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

General Emergency posted:

Yeah I don't really understand how it is supposed to work, I can't seem to find any rules on how to deal with that. Like apparently they don't submit each other and unless you get into hospital-shape, you will not leave the the game I guess? I see people getting knocked down but often they just leave the "front line" and catch their bearings behind the fights, then join the fighting again. But for god's sake I don't want to be the guy with the ball, in one video the dude had already scored a goal and people just continued on attacking him and ge got punched to the back of the head, he fell and three other guys jumped on him and kicked him in the ground. Because you are surrounded by the other teams players when you try to score, they will literally do anything to you. Jesus what a game.

Here's a fight compilation I found.

ManOfTheYear fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jan 8, 2015

• Locked thread