Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jonny Nox posted:

From related videos:

The MD-80 is going away and it turns out to be a sad thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7R0CViDUBFs

Nah, they're all migrating back to their ancestral home in Atlanta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Jonny Nox posted:

From related videos:

:stare: That is a goofy aircraft, but in a cute way!

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Wingnut Ninja posted:

You know, I've thought before how I'm really glad that, for the E-2D, they didn't try for something crazy like sticking a radome on a V-22 or an F-35. Instead they just took an airframe that's worked for 50 years and put a better radar on it. So thank you for showing me that's not nearly the worst thing that could have happened.

Don't act like you don't want it

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Jonny Nox posted:

From related videos:

That's a cool video, going to check out his channel. Thanks for the link.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Wednesday night is Chilli Night

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Duke Chin posted:

"Uhh QUICK take off before someone notices!"

Not to be outdone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7kGyGCSBr4

Wow... if someone would have described that video to me before I saw it, I would have called them out for being full of poo poo.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Why is putting a radar on a V-22 crazy? How are the Marines going to defend Henderson Field without VTOL AWACs?

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

Why is putting a radar on a V-22 crazy? How are the Marines going to defend Henderson Field without VTOL AWACs?

Because the radar attaches on the bayonet mount. Where does the bayonet go?

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

drunkill posted:

Wednesday night is Chilli Night

I'm pretty sure this blog is where you got that gif from, so I'll post their brilliant description of every Blackbird airshow performance ever:

quote:

It could lob a couple of guys, some cameras, radars, and jammers through the air at Mach 3.2. Yet seeing it perform down-low at an airshow was something akin to watching Darth Vader cook a turkey with force lightning then carve it with his lightsaber.

VOR LOC
Dec 8, 2007
captured

YF19pilot posted:

Here, allow me to lend my expertise on the subject matter.

Not to get all ADTRW on everyone (oh the shame) but the 11 year old in me only cares about macross because of the cool f-14's in space. If you're rocking canard's you're cool with me.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
What was that fighter game from the 1990's where all the oil had run out so people are shooting at each other in electric jets?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Gibfender posted:

For those interested, season 14 of Mayday/Air Crash Investigation started yesterday. Starting with the Kegworth air crash (British Midland flight 92). It's already up on YouTube.

BTW, if you are looking for this on YouTube, watch out, since Seconds From Disaster also did an episode on it a while back and a lot of them are mislabelled as Air Crash Investigation.

Also, Wikipedia has the full episode list up already: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mayday_episodes#Season_14_.282014.29

They are doing Concorde and JFK Jr's plane. Hard to believe they haven't done the Concorde yet, but maybe it's too "simple" an accident.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Duke Chin posted:

"Uhh QUICK take off before someone notices!"

Not to be outdone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7kGyGCSBr4

That is gonna wreak havoc with the air/ground logic.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Wow, what happened there?

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

VOR LOC posted:

Not to get all ADTRW on everyone (oh the shame) but the 11 year old in me only cares about macross because of the cool f-14's in space. If you're rocking canard's you're cool with me.

11 year old me still loves transforming fighter jet robots in space. I try to listen to him more than college-dork me who pretended to be some snob who gave a drat about watching Macross and not Robotech. Also, the guy who did the designs of the VF-1 "Valkyrie" was a big XB-70 dork, so in that I feel I have an obligation to watch a show made in part by someone I share that kinship with.

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes

smackfu posted:

They are doing Concorde and JFK Jr's plane. Hard to believe they haven't done the Concorde yet, but maybe it's too "simple" an accident.

Concorde is up - got shown in the Netherlands by mistake

http://youtu.be/IAqLGwmir7g

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

YF19pilot posted:

11 year old me still loves transforming fighter jet robots in space. I try to listen to him more than college-dork me who pretended to be some snob who gave a drat about watching Macross and not Robotech. Also, the guy who did the designs of the VF-1 "Valkyrie" was a big XB-70 dork, so in that I feel I have an obligation to watch a show made in part by someone I share that kinship with.

If the VF-9 or VF-4 aren't your favorite valks u dont know poo poo. :spergin:

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

hobbesmaster posted:

Here's the story to read regarding supersonic ejection: http://www.ejectionsite.com/insaddle/insaddle.htm

Having your SR-71 disintegrate around you is sort of like an ejection...
http://roadrunnersinternationale.com/weaver_sr71_bailout.html

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I look forward to my Osprey JSTARS replacement :colbert:

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

DID SOMEBODY SAY JSTARS?????

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Colonial Air Force posted:

Wow, what happened there?

F-14 had poo poo engines that really didn't like throttle changes. Fixed in the D model.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

:smuggo: Our aircraft can't fly in straight lines, BUT WE'RE GONNA FIND YOU!

(gently caress you Boeing 707)

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Kitfox88 posted:

If the VF-9 or VF-4 aren't your favorite valks u dont know poo poo. :spergin:

Hah! According to its creator, General Pierre Spray, the Zentradi battlepod is clearly superior to your overcomplicated human mecha.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Since you're here, Commie, not to be pushy or anything, just out of curiosity and because I like them - how's the next rocket post coming along? It was the Atlas next, wasn't it?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

simplefish posted:

Since you're here, Commie, not to be pushy or anything, just out of curiosity and because I like them - how's the next rocket post coming along? It was the Atlas next, wasn't it?

Yes, it will be the Atlas, sorry, been delayed due to moving into the new house!

I shall work on it today!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Is gonna own

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
The Atlas: Holding the World Up, one Engine at a time (It takes 3)

Desperate for a 'true' ICBM that worked, funding was poured into Convair to develop a viable design, but it was placed on the back burner until the Soviet test of their H-Bomb caused concern to grow that the Soviets, who now both had an ICBM AND a thermonuclear device, were once again ahead in the race.

Convair responded with a rushed out prototype of the Atlas, a triple engined radio guided ICBM which had an unusual feature: The rocket itself was basically hollow, and the only thing keeping it from collapsing in on itself was the fuel in the tanks and helium space filler provided from a secondary tank during operation. Atlas rockets in storage were filled with helium to pressure to keep the tanks from collapsing in on themselves. This gave the Atlas a unique advantage: By lowering structural weight with the 'balloon' tank design, the Atlas could stage itself into orbit with a 'stage and a half' design, using three engines, two boosters and a main engine (the "sustainer" engine) all fed from a single fuel tank allowed the Atlas to stage into low orbit on a single stage, by cutting the boosters about three quarters of the way up.

Exhausterator:black101:
Here we see a later model Atlas with its built in boosters and sustain engine, the sustainer ran at less than full thrust on takeoff to save fuel but enough thrust to provide roll control and provide thrust to the verniers on the skirts which ran on the same system, later Atlas models did away with the built in boosters for separate boosters that could be jettisoned.
NOTE: The Atlas A propotype only had the boosters, the sustainer was not present.

Atlas showing Vernier control rockets and main engine sequence.

The Atlas was tested as the Atlas A which had two engines, it was not without difficulty and the failure rate for initial Atlas launches was high due to the rushed nature of the missile design
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCkxMtANMXQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDDHO5LEZEE

"This end toward ground. Light Fuse and Get Away. Rocket with Loud Report"

"That's not gone well"

Despite the multiple failures and setbacks, the Atlas was redesigned and would go on to become the mainstay of the initial NASA program due to its flexible design and payload allowances, replacing the Redstone Rocket in the mercury program and basically being taken by NASA and redesigned into one of its most successful launch vehicles

Fun fact! WD-40's first use was as a corrosion resistant coating for the body of the Atlas, as the entire body was unpainted stainless steel.

The Titan: Just in case the Atlas blows up again...

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 7, 2015

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

VOR LOC posted:

B please we all know the vf-19 will kick that buckets rear end!

YF19pilot posted:

Here, allow me to lend my expertise on the subject matter.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Is it true that the half robot/half airplane mode exists because of Marine Corps requirements?

priznat posted:

Every soldier plane a riflemanplane

TheCoach posted:

Pfff, silly non-mindcontrol planes.

Psion posted:

that'd probably be Battroid mode if anything. priznat knows what's up.

I used to write about Valkyries and other variable fighters for a living, so just imagine I wrote a huge spergy post about Macross/Robotech/MOSPEADA/SDC Southern Cross/etc here. Now I write ad copy for Incom and Koensayr for a living :smug:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
are you admitting you worked for Harmony Gold? because I wouldn't do that in public if I were you :v:

Groda posted:

What was that fighter game from the 1990's where all the oil had run out so people are shooting at each other in electric jets?

I used to think I knew every 90s flight sim but this one has me stumped.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Psion posted:

Sounds KINDA like: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Chase

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

CommieGIR posted:

The Atlas: Holding the World Up, one Engine at a time (It takes 3)

Desperate for a 'true' ICBM that worked, funding was poured into Convair to develop a viable design, but it was placed on the back burner until the Soviet test of their H-Bomb caused concern to grow that the Soviets, who now both had an ICBM AND a thermonuclear device, were once again ahead in the race.

Convair responded with a rushed out prototype of the Atlas, a triple engined radio guided ICBM which had an unusual feature: The rocket itself was basically hollow, and the only thing keeping it from collapsing in on itself was the fuel in the tanks and helium space filler provided from a secondary tank during operation. Atlas rockets in storage were filled with helium to pressure to keep the tanks from collapsing in on themselves. This gave the Atlas a unique advantage: By lowering structural weight with the 'balloon' tank design, the Atlas could stage itself into orbit with a 'stage and a half' design, using three engines, two boosters and a main engine (the "sustainer" engine) all fed from a single fuel tank allowed the Atlas to stage into low orbit on a single stage, by cutting the boosters about three quarters of the way up.

Exhausterator:black101:
Here we see a later model Atlas with its built in boosters and sustain engine, the sustainer ran at less than full thrust on takeoff to save fuel but enough thrust to provide roll control and provide thrust to the verniers on the skirts which ran on the same system, later Atlas models did away with the built in boosters for separate boosters that could be jettisoned.
NOTE: The Atlas A propotype only had the boosters, the sustainer was not present.

Atlas showing Vernier control rockets and main engine sequence.

The Atlas was tested as the Atlas A which had two engines, it was not without difficulty and the failure rate for initial Atlas launches was high due to the rushed nature of the missile design
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCkxMtANMXQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDDHO5LEZEE

"This end toward ground. Light Fuse and Get Away. Rocket with Loud Report"

"That's not gone well"

Despite the multiple failures and setbacks, the Atlas was redesigned and would go on to become the mainstay of the initial NASA program due to its flexible design and payload allowances, replacing the Redstone Rocket in the mercury program and basically being taken by NASA and redesigned into one of its most successful launch vehicles

Fun fact! WD-40's first use was as a corrosion resistant coating for the body of the Atlas, as the entire body was unpainted stainless steel.

The Titan: Just in case the Atlas blows up again...

Reminds me of the story that veteran astronauts called the Saturn an old man's rocket because the liftoff was pretty gentle compared to the Atlas and the Titan boosters. Difference between a purpose-built launch vehicle and converted ICBMs, I guess.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Reminds me of the story that veteran astronauts called the Saturn an old man's rocket because the liftoff was pretty gentle compared to the Atlas and the Titan boosters. Difference between a purpose-built launch vehicle and converted ICBMs, I guess.

The thing is the Saturn had to be kind of smooth as well, as it used the same principles as the Atlas with a thin skin and dependent upon the balloon tank idea started with the Atlas, if it lifted off too fast there was a real possibility of structural failure due to torque stresses. Slow and steady wins the race.

Its part of the reason they decided upon a five engine main stage versus a single large engine.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
E: doublepost

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

CommieGIR posted:

Its part of the reason they decided upon a five engine main stage versus a single large engine.
So would the N1 have been even smoother if it had actually worked?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

david_a posted:

So would the N1 have been even smoother if it had actually worked?

The problem with the N1 was that it was rushed into action without a lot of testing, and the death of Sergei Korolev mean't that there wasn't a lot of informed and rational guidance on how to debug it, whereas NASA had spread its intellectual weight around a bit. Had the N1s engines been testing more properly, and the rocket itself tested instead of being rushed into action, it probably would've worked.

But Sergei's death was the final stake in the N1. Between plumbing issues due to its over-complicated design and Sergei, it wasn't going to work. Which is a shame because it was sexy looking lifting body.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

gently caress CopaAirlines.

Me and my bud are tall (I'm 1,90m and he's 2,05m) so we did a web check-in asap. We were literally F5ing the page to get the seats behind first class.
We get on the loving plane and a couple seconds later, guess what, someone had the same seat. And he somehow had checked in earlier than we did. The attendant wanted us to gently caress off to like the last row, but luckily the couple (basically midgets compared to us) was nice enough to let us keep the seats.

Also gently caress the 737NG. I was excited about having personal screens to watch old lovely romantic comedies in but it turns out they're horribly annoying if you're trying to sleep. So many bright lights everwhere.

(In another more positive topic, I bought a X-55 Rhino on Boxing Day. gently caress yeah time for flight sims :toot:)

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Psion posted:

Ultrafighters (I think?) by Interactive Magic? I used to beta test for them and seem to recall the FUTURISTIC PLANES were electric powered or some drat thing.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

CommieGIR posted:

The problem with the N1 was that it was rushed into action without a lot of testing, and the death of Sergei Korolev mean't that there wasn't a lot of informed and rational guidance on how to debug it, whereas NASA had spread its intellectual weight around a bit. Had the N1s engines been testing more properly, and the rocket itself tested instead of being rushed into action, it probably would've worked.

But Sergei's death was the final stake in the N1. Between plumbing issues due to its over-complicated design and Sergei, it wasn't going to work. Which is a shame because it was sexy looking lifting body.
I was asking if more engines = smoother takeoff, in which case the N1 would seem to have been the king.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

david_a posted:

I was asking if more engines = smoother takeoff, in which case the N1 would seem to have been the king.

It would've probably been smoother, the first stage was ridiculous considering the payload the N1 carried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Davin Valkri posted:

Why are these promotional materials always cut like movie trailers? It's not like defense acquisition groups look for "Coming Soon! E-2D ADVANCED HAWKEYE" like it's a new killer app video game or something. The same with those paper ads in trade magazines that advertise stuff like "PROVEN THERMAL INSULATION/READY MADE PREFAB TRAILERS/ACCURIZED 7.62 BELTS" and big ticket items bought by armies. Do defense groups think they need to cater to an individual buyer for some reason?

In the US, it's advertising the company more than the product. Abroad, they really want to sell you the thing. Look at the ads in the front of Jane's Fighting Ships (the only periodical with a higher ad-to-content ratio than fashion magazines) or similar trade rags. They are really interested in you, the sheikh/tinpot dictator/aspiring cartel lord, buying their latest chaff dispenser or whatever.