Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Peanut butter and butter, but hold the peanut butter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

The Midniter posted:

If they find PB&J awful, what do they eat??

White minute rice.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Man I just cannot make a good whole wheat bread. Time to start another sponge and try sourdough again, I suppose. Anybody else have an experience with Sandor Katz's book on Fermentation?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Vegetable Melange posted:

Man I just cannot make a good whole wheat bread. Time to start another sponge and try sourdough again, I suppose. Anybody else have an experience with Sandor Katz's book on Fermentation?

I've got his Wild Fermentation chapbook thing and I think the sourdough recipe in there is the same as the one in Art. He hasn't steered me wrong yet, including with bread, so I recommend giving it a shot. As usual, make sure everything is nice and clean, and if you're going to put your hands in the dough, be sure that you haven't used any scented soap or applied any lotions. The outcome is... Poor.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

I made a 100% whole wheat bread that I thought turned out all right out of the King Arthur Baker's Companion (bit different from the one on their website). It was definitely more of a hassle than white though. What's up with yours, and what's your recipe?

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

I'm really sick, and I am debating running to the pharmacy for some throat easing action. But it is snowing, and it's cold :( :( pity me

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Echeveria posted:

I'm really sick, and I am debating running to the pharmacy for some throat easing action. But it is snowing, and it's cold :( :( pity me

JOOK OR DIE

Don't die plz. Do you have the evil mutant flu? I found Mucinex DM, IBProufin, and a little vial of Eucalyptus Oil went a long way. Until I got bronchitis. Drink tea. Get a ride to the store.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

I don't know what the hell I have. I have a really sore throat and my lymph nodes are protruding from my neck, and my whole body is agony. I have no fever, though, and no cough or mucous. I was downing tea before I went to the store (no rides). Now I have anesthetic cough drops and the only cold/flu formula in the drat drug store that didn't have pseudoephederine in it. I will take it shortly and hopefully fade into sweet oblivion.

I have no rice or toppings for jook. As mentioned way earlier in this thread, I loving hate eggs, and I have nothing else that would go in it. Except maybe bacon.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Echeveria posted:

I don't know what the hell I have. I have a really sore throat and my lymph nodes are protruding from my neck, and my whole body is agony. I have no fever, though, and no cough or mucous. I was downing tea before I went to the store (no rides). Now I have anesthetic cough drops and the only cold/flu formula in the drat drug store that didn't have pseudoephederine in it. I will take it shortly and hopefully fade into sweet oblivion.

I have no rice or toppings for jook. As mentioned way earlier in this thread, I loving hate eggs, and I have nothing else that would go in it. Except maybe bacon.

In my complete lack of medical training, I say you have mutant flu. See a doctor tomorrow. What food do you have in the house? If you're sick of tea (I know I was), try to nibble toast with a bit of sugar, or citrus.

\/\/\/Drugstore. They only have microwave minute rice\/\/\/

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jan 7, 2015

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Echeveria posted:

Weren't you just at the store? Pork bits egg scallion ginger shallot hot sauce mushroom bamboo corn carrot kimchi chicken bacon etc etc

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

Drug store, bro. Nothing worth eating there. I will make some tomorrow if I feel better and go to the store for scallions and mushrooms.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

guppy posted:

I made a 100% whole wheat bread that I thought turned out all right out of the King Arthur Baker's Companion (bit different from the one on their website). It was definitely more of a hassle than white though. What's up with yours, and what's your recipe?

Ruhlman's Ratio, lovely rise, dense as a brick, 50/50 AP and WW. It'll make serviceable toast, but I think I'll start a proper AP sponge in the morning before I leave town overnight and see about doing something a little closer to a boule on Thursday.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I've had a surprising amount of success with this recipe

330g each ww flour + water sponge, soaked overnight
180g bread flour
6g IDY
5 g sugar
5 g salt
5g oil

Rise until tripled, punch down, final rise in a loaf pan, 350 degrees until its done.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

This is not at all food related, but since this is the best forum in the forums I thought I'd mention that my new band has just put up a bandcamp for the little demo we just did. Please feel free to listen!

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

What happened to the sunjul tho?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Hah, who is this that remembers my old band?!?

Sunjul broke up a couple of years ago as members moved on. Lawnspur is the new hotness.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Echeveria posted:

I loving hate eggs,

This statement makes me so very sad

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Ruhlman's Ratio, lovely rise, dense as a brick, 50/50 AP and WW. It'll make serviceable toast, but I think I'll start a proper AP sponge in the morning before I leave town overnight and see about doing something a little closer to a boule on Thursday.

Here's the recipe I used:

quote:

14oz (3 1/2 cups) whole wheat flour
12oz (1 1/2 cups) water
1 1/4 oz (3 Tbsp) olive oil
3 3/4 oz (5 Tbsp) honey, molasses, or maple syrup
1 Tbsp whole grain bread improver (optional)
1 1/4 oz (1/4 cup) sunflower seeds, chopped
1 1/8 oz 1/4 cup) walnuts, chopped
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp instant yeast

Mix all ingredients in bowl to form shaggy dough. Let rest for 20 minutes to let the flour absorb the liquids, knead for ~10 minutes until smooth and supple. Dough will be wet and slack for a while but it will come together eventually; it will still be sticky. Let rise in greased, covered bowl for ~1 hour. Shape into log, put in greased 8 1/2" x 4 1/2" bread pan. Cover again and let rise ~1 hour again, until it's crowned ~2" above the rim.

Preheat to 350F. Bake 45 minutes, tent lightly with foil for the last 20. Turn out of pan on to rack and cool.

A few notes:

1. They specifically say they recommend kneading by mixer or bread machine, because kneading by hand will make it smaller and denser.
2. I didn't have sunflower seeds on hand so I just left them out.
3. I did not use the bread improver.
4. I chose molasses as the sweetener.
5. I used a larger loaf pan because it's what I had. It turned out fine but would probably be better in a pan of the correct size.

I looked at my copy of Ratio and didn't see a whole wheat recipe, but among other differences, this one is 100% whole wheat, not half-and-half. It's for a pan loaf, I'm not sure how to adapt it for a boule.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
The right pan size is pretty important for achieving a good height and structure in the finished product. If the footprint is too wide, your dough won't cling to the walls and climb as high, and winds up denser and generally less pleasant. It's pretty much the same story for cakes. (I hate baking cakes.)

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

GrAviTy84 posted:

This statement makes me so very sad

:shrug: I haven't liked them since I was a child. I'll occasionally eat scrambled if the mood strikes, but soft boiled is just like hueergh.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

I'm no bread expert, so whenever I use whole wheat I add some vital wheat gluten. It helps a lot, in my limited experience.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

Echeveria posted:

Wait a second, you bought the one WITHOUT pseudoephedrine? That's the poo poo that works.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
It's true. Phenylephrine is a cruel joke played on us by Satan himself.

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009

EVG posted:

Wait a second, you bought the one WITHOUT pseudoephedrine? That's the poo poo that works.

In his situation I would just want to slip into something comfortable (like a coma) and stay in bed. Ephedrine helps to power through a cold, I wouldn't want to use it when going through a heavy flu.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Trying to make a vegetable gastrique, but I've only made fruit ones before. Any tips for smoothly incorporating the vegetable matter? It's a much larger amount than like, the handful of blackberries I've done before. Going to roast and blend it first, probably reserve the roasting liquid and use that as the base, as I'm considering adding either honey or a molasses sauce for the roasting process. With the fruit ones I've made before, it was pretty much "brown honey in pan, mix in vinegar, add fruit/spices and cook down."

Any insight or advice is appreciated.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Trying to make a vegetable gastrique, but I've only made fruit ones before. Any tips for smoothly incorporating the vegetable matter? It's a much larger amount than like, the handful of blackberries I've done before. Going to roast and blend it first, probably reserve the roasting liquid and use that as the base, as I'm considering adding either honey or a molasses sauce for the roasting process. With the fruit ones I've made before, it was pretty much "brown honey in pan, mix in vinegar, add fruit/spices and cook down."

Any insight or advice is appreciated.

Vitamix will obliterate it.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

EVG posted:

Pseudoephederine is a decongestant. I have no congestion to speak of. That aside, even in the nighttime formulas, Pseudoephederine keeps me up. I could have just bought Advil and Benadryl but I was able to find a combo. It let me slip into oblivion. Until a cat sat on my bladder.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

guppy posted:

It's true. Phenylephrine is a cruel joke played on us by Satan himself.

It's true, Phenylephrine works about as well as a placebo.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

GrAviTy84 posted:

Vitamix will obliterate it.

Should I vitamix the veg before adding to the rest of the gastrique when it's half done like I did with fruits or should I vitamix and add at the beginning or maybe just make them separately and bring together in the vitamix?

E: Bronkaid will gently caress your cold up and wont make you feel like poo poo at work.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Should I vitamix the veg before adding to the rest of the gastrique when it's half done like I did with fruits or should I vitamix and add at the beginning or maybe just make them separately and bring together in the vitamix?

E: Bronkaid will gently caress your cold up and wont make you feel like poo poo at work.

I'd add all your poo poo (most volume of liquid), either briefly cook or don't cook, then vitamix and pass through a chinacap and *then* reduce. if you try to make a gastrique with some already reduced liquid goop that you then vitamix, you're gonna end up with some pasty sauce. which is fine if that's what you want - but if you're wanting like a thin glossy gastrique, you probably want to strain your solids out before reducing at all. ihmo.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

With 50/50 I get a pretty decent loaf (usually boule) using no-knead. Very easy. Or just knead a loaf with 500g flour, 1tsp yeast, some seeds, salt, a splash of oil, and something sweet (treacle, molasses, sugar, honey, etc).

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

mindphlux posted:

I'd add all your poo poo (most volume of liquid), either briefly cook or don't cook, then vitamix and pass through a chinacap and *then* reduce. if you try to make a gastrique with some already reduced liquid goop that you then vitamix, you're gonna end up with some pasty sauce. which is fine if that's what you want - but if you're wanting like a thin glossy gastrique, you probably want to strain your solids out before reducing at all. ihmo.

Thank you. Exactly what I was looking for, now I won't look like a total dork in front of the kitchen staff. Prepping at home or solo is way different/less intimidating. Now I'm prepping in front of 20 sets of eyes of highly skilled chefs. poo poo makes me nervous.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
I'm going to be in Honolulu for a week in June. Does anyone have restaurant or bar recommendations for while I'm there?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Eat all the saimin.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Trying to make a vegetable gastrique, but I've only made fruit ones before. Any tips for smoothly incorporating the vegetable matter?

I made a sauce that was technically not a gastrique, but was super awesome by juicing raw red beets and reducing the juice with syrah... went great w grilled lamb tbones and maintained a super amazing color/sheen.

Unless it's super secret for some reason you might even get a couple more tips if you tell us what vegetable you're using. Some stuff might be better to juice raw as I did, or whatever. Plus I'm just curious about what other veg might make a cool gastrique! I bet a golden beet ginger and white balsamic one would be good too...

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
I would like to share and I know that in the past goons have been super helpful, but my new job is super high profile and I am just beginning, so I'd be happy to discuss it in a few weeks but I really cant now. I know that sounds super stupid, but it's really true.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

I would like to share and I know that in the past goons have been super helpful, but my new job is super high profile and I am just beginning, so I'd be happy to discuss it in a few weeks but I really cant now. I know that sounds super stupid, but it's really true.

honestly you're probably overthinking this, particularly if you're taking advice from me on how to make a gastrique. not that I don't know what I'm doing, but for all you know I'm just some random dude on the internet. entrusting your ultrasecret ultraimportant self proclaimed cooking skill representation to internet dudes - but being afraid to tell us what vegetable you may or may not be making into a gastrique is approaching absurd.

also I can promise you no one in the kitchen is watching your SA post history waiting for you gently caress up so they can get you fired. I mean come on.

all the same, I hope you make a good gastrique and your job pans out. :)

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

mindphlux is 100% watching what you do online

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

How do I make a bacon? I've gotten hold of 1lbs of wild boar belly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

BlueGrot posted:

How do I make a bacon? I've gotten hold of 1lbs of wild boar belly.

You gotta cure it and then you gotta smoke it. To cure it you need pink salt (Prague powder) which can be hard to come by sometimes.

http://ruhlman.com/2010/10/home-cured-bacon-2/

There's a thread about it here somewhere too.