Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Roobanguy posted:

The Avadon games are pretty fun.

Only thing I can complain about in them is there's not really a companion sympathetic to Avadon in any of them.

Avadon 2 was half off most of the week. Picked it up for grins. From what I've read, I'm not missing much by skipping Avadon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Airfoil posted:

Avadon 2 was half off most of the week. Picked it up for grins. From what I've read, I'm not missing much by skipping Avadon.

You'll miss some callbacks but they are pretty stand alone.

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

Roobanguy posted:

The Avadon games are pretty fun.

Only thing I can complain about in them is there's not really a companion sympathetic to Avadon in any of them.

I kinda figured that was because Miranda was trying to turn the you against Avadon by partnering you up with the hands with the most reason to dislike it, and giving you the most morally ambiguous assignments.

I haven't played 2, so no idea how it plays out there.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

ducttape posted:

I kinda figured that was because Miranda was trying to turn the you against Avadon by partnering you up with the hands with the most reason to dislike it, and giving you the most morally ambiguous assignments.
As the first Spiderweb game I played, this was one of my favorite things about an RPG ever and the moment I was fully sold on checking out the rest of their catalog.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

ducttape posted:

I haven't played 2, so no idea how it plays out there.

Yeah, that was the reason in the first one, but the second one didn't have something like that if I remember correctly.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Roobanguy posted:

Yeah, that was the reason in the first one, but the second one didn't have something like that if I remember correctly.
Everyone's just a jerk, seems to be the motivation in 2. Seriously, is there a single person who isn't bucking for you to take Redbeard's job, let alone actually favorable to the status quo?

e: also, thanks a million to whoever recommended I play Tinkermage on Torment, two Tinkermages and Khalida are just wrecking poo poo that clearly would be wrecking me instead if not for the turrets.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Everyone's just a jerk, seems to be the motivation in 2. Seriously, is there a single person who isn't bucking for you to take Redbeard's job, let alone actually favorable to the status quo?

e: also, thanks a million to whoever recommended I play Tinkermage on Torment, two Tinkermages and Khalida are just wrecking poo poo that clearly would be wrecking me instead if not for the turrets.

I think the Blademaster with the tick isn't a dick and more of a sympathetic character. But she still has the same problem that the other ones have, making you unsympathetic to Avadon, which admittedly is appropriate cause they hosed her over hard.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Roobanguy posted:

I think the Blademaster with the tick isn't a dick and more of a sympathetic character. But she still has the same problem that the other ones have, making you unsympathetic to Avadon, which admittedly is appropriate cause they hosed her over hard.
She is until you get to her side quest - the only option that doesn't result in her being completely furious at you is to straight-up murder the mayor. Like, the others at least it doesn't feel too bad helping them out, you know? Even though arguably the Shaman one is worse.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I got a few hours into Avadon 2 but then stopped. Does the game seem much harder than the previous games? I felt like I was getting my rear end kicked. Of course I played as a blademaster.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Clever Spambot posted:

If you don't mind playing a non-shaper class guardians are monsters in 2 that can parry everything in the world.
Agents are also monsters who can never need to parry things because nothing gets to attack unless they slip up and let it. Thank you, Mass Daze.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

sitchelin posted:

Nonono gently caress the Vahnatai Crypt, gently caress Chitraches, and gently caress Dahris-Bok's tomb. Chapter 2 of Exile/Avernum 2 is a goddamn exercise in torture.

Chitarch area is synonymous with worst area.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

GreenNight posted:

I got a few hours into Avadon 2 but then stopped. Does the game seem much harder than the previous games? I felt like I was getting my rear end kicked. Of course I played as a blademaster.
The only difficulty I ran into was doing certain optional side quests. And those were usually solved by coming back later. However I still haven't finished Avadon 2 so that might change.

You can also change the difficulty level in the options menu.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah, no doubt. I should probably drop to easy but after beating Avernum 1-6, and Avadon I thought I'd be ok.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

This is not entirely true; There's an in-game method to make it basically automatic to switch factions once, and you can actually join every faction you want if you know what you're doing. The powergaming route probably involves joining every faction in the order you meet them and doing just enough missions not to piss off the next faction.

But if you don't want to spoil yourself, do at least some thinking about which faction you want to join.

Yes, but you can only pull that off if you know the game deeply enough to know exactly what to do and what order to do it in. Also, the end-game missions all conflict, so you still need to pick one faction to win even if you theoretically are a "member" of multiple factions.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

What is Avernum 3 like? I really loved Exile 3 back in the day but I never played the first round of remakes. The interface looks kinda clunky. Is it worth checking out?

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Bold Robot posted:

What is Avernum 3 like? I really loved Exile 3 back in the day but I never played the first round of remakes. The interface looks kinda clunky. Is it worth checking out?

I didn't like it quite as much as Avernum 1 and 2, but that was probably because the world was SO open and there were so many towns, many of which seemed fairly generic. If you liked the gameplay of the first 2 (which are great), but want a lot less direction, check it out.

It doesn't take place in . - - Avernum - - ., for the most part, which takes away the charm, somewhat. :)

I've not played the Exile games, so I can't help with a comparison.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Bold Robot posted:

The storyline and a lot of the towns are almost identical to Exile 3. Since you only have 4 characters, a few areas are a bit different. Most notably, Avernum's system doesn't really support moving floorways, so the couple major dungeons that used them heavily replaced them with a different mechanic.

If you really enjoyed Exile 3, I'd certainly recommend at least getting the demo and checking it out. The demo for A3 is big enough for you to figure out if you can handle the interface or not.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

All the Geneforge, Avadon and Avernum games are on sale on GOG for $7 total.

http://www.gog.com/promo/big_fall_spiderweb_rpgs_bundle_141114

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

GreenNight posted:

All the Geneforge, Avadon and Avernum games are on sale on GOG for $7 total.

http://www.gog.com/promo/big_fall_spiderweb_rpgs_bundle_141114

It won't come out on GOG, but I can't wait for Exile 2: The Remake: The Remake. It's supposed to be out by the end of the year and I'm way more excited for it than I thought that I would be.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Avernum and thus I am assuming Exile was the best of the trilogy in my opinion. So yeah, kinda excited about that.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I have been looking forward to repeating the experience of going over waterfalls and losing all my food for quite awhile now, really can't wait for the 2 remake.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I was so sad when I played Avernum 2 and the list of like ten billion different spells from the Exile games was gone.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I do wish he could have struck a nice balance when streamlining them. Exile had a lot of completely useless spells but it also had some really cool ones that didn't make it. Mind duel was fun to use against certain enemies!

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Does anyone remember playing a more basic version of Exile than the one found on the website? I think it was before the better sprites and it let you do some crazy things like buy a replica version of Demonslayer that was pretty good early on IIRC.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Are you confusing it with Realmz, which used a lot of the same assets because the guys making them split the cost of getting them made or whatever the story was? I remember Realmz letting you do a lot of crazy poo poo.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Zereth posted:

Are you confusing it with Realmz, which used a lot of the same assets because the guys making them split the cost of getting them made or whatever the story was? I remember Realmz letting you do a lot of crazy poo poo.

No, Exile 1 and 2 had early releases with different graphic sets from the assets shared with Realmz(and in 1s case, several gameplay differences). Around when Exile III was released they retroactively added in the assets they got for Exile III so the trilogy would have graphical parity.

At least, that's what I understand happened.

http://spiderwebforums.ipbhost.com/index.php?/topic/20317-exile-1-version-history-windows/

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Oh that sounds familiar now. If anybody has the ability to I'd be interested in seeing a comparison of the old and "new" graphics.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
I've gone ahead and uploaded an imgur album containing the original graphics for Exile 2, made by Jeff Vogel's then-wife Shirley Monroe. I don't have easy access to the latest version's graphics for side-by-side comparison (the Exile games are available for free now but they won't even install, let alone run, on modern computers), but compare it to this screenshot of the latest version and you can see the difference.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Thuryl posted:

(the Exile games are available for free now but they won't even install, let alone run, on modern computers)

They totes work fine in Wine, actually.

Though I don't think there's any good way to force the tiny combat map to scale up.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I miss those inset intros that told their own little stories on the title screen.

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
More fun than dryer lint.
Look at those Vahnatai with their wiggly wiggly legs. What an era.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Avadon 2 is in the lowest tier of the Weekly Humble Bundle this week, in case anyone hasn't picked it up yet!

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Avadon 2 is in the lowest tier of the Weekly Humble Bundle this week, in case anyone hasn't picked it up yet!

Thank you for this; I now have a Steam copy and a DRM-free copy of Avadon as well as Deep Dungeons of Doom, which I've had an eye on for some time, for a very low price.

In other news, it looks like Avernum 2: Crystal Souls has been pushed back to January of '15 according to Spiderweb's site. I've been anticipating that game more than I thought I would, and I'm unhappy about the delay even though I'm sure that it's for the best.

I have never purchased a game directly from Spiderweb... I have every game of theirs on GOG, on Steam (thanks to the above) and I have an "unaffiliated" DRM-free copy of each game from last year's huge bundle and from the bundle mentioned above, but I've never bought from them. Granted, their prices on the site are quite a bit higher than elsewhere, but I fancy that it's about time that Jeff get more than just a few bucks from me. When it comes out, I think that I'm going to violate my eternal cheapassness and buy the game and hint book directly from Spiderweb.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I've been playing Avernum 6 and I was ordered to go to the great portal. But I can't figure out how to make it through Almaria, that town built over the river in the great cavern. I can get into the town, but I can't figure out any way to open the gate on the far side. I've talked to all the named NPCs in town and the guard by the gate. Anyone know what I'm missing?

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

The Moon Monster posted:

I've been playing Avernum 6 and I was ordered to go to the great portal. But I can't figure out how to make it through Almaria, that town built over the river in the great cavern. I can get into the town, but I can't figure out any way to open the gate on the far side. I've talked to all the named NPCs in town and the guard by the gate. Anyone know what I'm missing?
Usually, when I encounter a situation like this, it's because I overlooked a single NPC somewhere. Did you speak with the gatekeeper near the gates?

As a side note, the demo version won't actually let you into Amaria, which is a funny coincidence to me.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Avernum: Escape from the Pit just hit GOG. Given how long it's been out, I didn't expect to see that. I hope that this means that Crystal Souls will be out soon.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

JustJeff88 posted:

Avernum: Escape from the Pit just hit GOG. Given how long it's been out, I didn't expect to see that. I hope that this means that Crystal Souls will be out soon.

Yeah, it'll be out next week (barring any issues). I know because a friend of mine...

(I'm beta testing, fired it up on Steam today. It's good.)

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Chinook posted:

Yeah, it'll be out next week (barring any issues). I know because a friend of mine...

(I'm beta testing, fired it up on Steam today. It's good.)

Hooray! :neckbeard:

Given today's "revelation", are they going to release it on GOG right away as well or just Steam/direct from Spiderweb? I was actually planning on buying it and the e-guide straight from Jeff so that SW gets more money than the few dollars a pop from low-priced digital distribution sales, but I'm curious after what happened this morning.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

JustJeff88 posted:

but I'm curious after what happened this morning.

After what happened?

Edit: Beats me, though. He had us test installers for standalone versions as well, both of a demo and the full release, so I know that Steam is not the only platform. I would imagine the same release date, but I don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Chinook posted:

After what happened?

Edit: Beats me, though. He had us test installers for standalone versions as well, both of a demo and the full release, so I know that Steam is not the only platform. I would imagine the same release date, but I don't know.

What = Escape from the Pit coming out on GOG this morning after having been out for well over a year. I'm sure that it will come out on Steam and direct from Spiderweb; I would not have considered GOG as well until today's occurrence.

The only currently available "modern" Spiderweb game not on GOG now is Nethergate: Resurrection, which is on Steam. I would like to see that make it there and then have Jeff put Exile 1, 2 and 3 as well as Blades of up there as free games just like on their own site, but they would probably be too much work for GOG to get running on modern systems and most people don't want to use an XP virtual box to run them - I would just like to see them get more exposure. A lot of people don't know who Spiderweb are, but if they could try those games for free then it would get them exposure.

Now, for some reason Jeff doesn't want the original Nethergate available to the public. One might say "Well, he wants people to buy Resurrection, the remake", but Avernum 1-3 and Blades are on GOG and are remakes of the Exile games before them. Thing is, Nethergate (Original) was written in 32-bit, so it runs just fine on the 64-bit systems that are predominant today. Put that up on GOG (and Steam perhaps) and let people have at for free. They might go "This is pretty good, but there's an updated remake available for just a few dollars... I'm going to try that". Then, perhaps, they try other SW games. Probably won't happen, but just a thought.