Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Werster's ruthless poo poo-talk is fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
That zip :eyepop:

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
hahaha jesus he almost died at the end of that result screen.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
This level is the only bad part about Sonic 2.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I have to keep those zips in mind so that I can skip the worst level in the game next time I play Sonic 2.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

F. Lobot posted:

"On emulator!"
:goonsay:

This is even funnier because of Werster hating emulator runs for Pokemon iirc.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I'm gonna have to miss the next 2 days of runs(well, more like two 16 hours chunks of it), do you guys think there's gonna be anything really special in particular?

FANSean
Nov 9, 2010

Chucat posted:

This is even funnier because of Werster hating emulator runs for Pokemon iirc.

He hates them globally, I think he stopped going for S3K until he could do console runs again (being accused of cheating probably didn't help). I thought his S2 run was console though, but I guess I was mistaken.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
"Go early, I'm fine with that! No, not that early; Jesus Christ!"

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

HGH posted:

I'm gonna have to miss the next 2 days of runs(well, more like two 16 hours chunks of it), do you guys think there's gonna be anything really special in particular?

Shovel Knight, Tetris Grandmaster, and the Awful Games block.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

"Garbage."

Comrade Question
Mar 30, 2011

"I'd say it's nothing personal, but corporations are people, too."

HGH posted:

Depends on what games you like obviously, but the Mega Man 5 race has the current world record holder from Japan (ohon) as a runner.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
That was so great.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Yeah that was actually a really good run. Werster made it sound bad but 24:02 is a decent attempt at a very difficult speed run.

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.

RyokoTK posted:

Super Monkey Ball Deluxe is also up after the Sonic games, and that's usually fun to watch in these marathons.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
"That was a pretty good run. I mean, except for the incredibly bad Hilltop, and dying and..."

There's a lot of potentially cool stuff coming up. Kirby runs tend to be fun, there's the Megaman block, blind and non-blind Punch-Out...

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
"The Mexican re-stream"

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
goddamn I almost forgot how good Ice Cap theme is

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I enjoyed that Sonic 2 run and I enjoyed the ribbing from Werster even though he's bad at making it sound playful. Obviously TimpZ was aware of it and fine with it since they were doing the same things during his practice runs in the practice room.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Kanfy posted:

"The Mexican re-stream"

Being fair, the restream is called "Mexican Runner."

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Voted Worst Mom posted:

Trivia: Ice Cap is actually an unreleased song from the 80's!

http://www.sonicretro.org/2013/11/even-more-sonic-3-music-details-emerge/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2OWC5Hosv8

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.

Voted Worst Mom posted:

Sonic 3 music in general is god-tier. There's a pretty badass Smooth McGroove arrangement of this one too.

Cerebulon
Mar 29, 2010

Destroyer of Worlds*
(*No worlds were harmed in the making of this title.)

Are they just playing game music between runs to fill the dead air now or is that just the audio from whatever game was last/is next?
Either way I'm glad they've addressed the deadness of the first day-ish.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

Comrade Question posted:

Depends on what games you like obviously, but the Mega Man 5 race has the current world record holder from Japan (ohon) as a runner.
Thanks for the recommendation.
Well I like everything, so it's mostly about runner personality, impressive displays, or series I like.
Unfortunately I only have 4 hours and then I'm missing the next 17 hour chunk. Aw man, there goes the whole Megaman block... Looks like it's VODs for me.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Cerebulon posted:

Are they just playing game music between runs to fill the dead air now or is that just the audio from whatever game was last/is next?
Either way I'm glad they've addressed the deadness of the first day-ish.

The former. For awhile it was random chiptunes but sometimes they're specifically aiming for music for games that are coming up.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Mostly the thing to watch Shovel Knight for is the fact that Shovel Knight is GOTY 2014.

Also the fact that Drake's record is under an hour which is absolutely disgusting.

e: I bet they hit $400,000 during S3&K. Awesome!

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

The reason this song was in the game as Ice Cap is because Brad Buxer, a musician who worked with Michael Jackson, was in the band, and Jackson then went on to compose much of the S3&K music with help from Buxer :eng101:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Oh, might as well ask, anything good between Silent Hill and Kid Chameleon? I couldn't stay awake for more than the first 15min of SH1 and woke up a while ago.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Cubey posted:

The reason this song was in the game as Ice Cap is because Brad Buxer, a musician who worked with Michael Jackson, was in the band, and Jackson then went on to compose much of the S3&K music with help from Buxer :eng101:

This is correct. Pop-Fiction goes into a lot of detail about this.

http://www.gametrailers.com/full-episodes/zo88qk/pop-fiction-episode-39--sonic-3--michael-jackson

Dias posted:

Oh, might as well ask, anything good between Silent Hill and Kid Chameleon? I couldn't stay awake for more than the first 15min of SH1 and woke up a while ago.

All of the arcade block.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Not sure why Fighting Masters was on screen for a few seconds there, but I approve.

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.

Dias posted:

The Sonic 2 run that just wrapped up was pretty fun just for the banter between the guys on the couch.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Dias posted:

Morrowind, Rogue Legacy, and the arcade block.

King of Solomon posted:

Not sure why Fighting Masters was on screen for a few seconds there, but I approve.

To remind everyone that the salt is real.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Dias posted:

Battletoads, AvP, Rogue Legacy, probably Morrowind if you've ever played it and know what's going on (I didn't)

Comrade Question
Mar 30, 2011

"I'd say it's nothing personal, but corporations are people, too."
Thanks again for dropping 1,1k on Tails, TheOddOne.

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug
Will 3&K have any chaos emerald collecting or will it be a straight run through to the bad ending?

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

King of Solomon posted:

Black magic.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

SWMadness posted:

Sonic 3 music in general is god-tier.

Yeah, it sounds great on this run.

Edit: Of course, it came back...

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

UraniumAnchor posted:

Black magic.

Goldrock ! Still my favorite bonuscstream game.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Pelican Dunderhead posted:

Will 3&K have any chaos emerald collecting or will it be a straight run through to the bad ending?

Does Bad Ending just mean not doing Doomsday Zone?
EDIT: Ok the Time bonus must be dragging down the actual speedrun right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Pelican Dunderhead posted:

Tails can't get true ending(I think), and he's not grabbing any emeralds it looks like.

Would have donated for true ending.

• Locked thread