Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
$400,000!!

HGH posted:

EDIT: Ok the Time bonus must be dragging down the actual speedrun right?

The community for Classic Sonic uses in-game time for that exact reason, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

I like how he tried to kill himself but accidentally warped himself through the level instead.

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug

Gibbo posted:

Tails can't get true ending, and he's not grabbing any emeralds it looks like.

Would have donated for true ending.

Oh doi, forgot about that.

400k :toot:

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
HDL Saving ALL the animals.

After all the bad Sonic games in recent years, something just feels right watching someone speedrun a sonic game.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I never even knew this boss existed. Yeesh.

OH GOD NO Carnival Zone
EDIT:Ah, sweet revenge. And sweet sweet boss music.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

HGH posted:

I never even knew this boss existed. Yeesh.

OH GOD NO Carnival Zone
EDIT:Ah, sweet revenge. And sweet sweet boss music.

If you haven't played s3&k as knuckles please go do so

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

He broke the gently caress out of Ice Cap lmao.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I thought I watched a s3&k run before but I've never seen that ice cap glitch drat

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

This is a loving Rube Goldberg Machine videogame

"Look up to lock the screen, have a bird hit you so that you get launched off the left side of the screen to take you to the RIGHT side of the screen..."

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I played both games separately and Sonic through S3&K, but for some reason using Knuckles for the full game never even occurred to me.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

FutonForensic posted:

This is a loving Rube Goldberg Machine videogame

It's amazing watching Sonic speedruns because the games are pretty much held together by chewed gum and wishes. They are so easily broken in so many ways.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I'm getting the feeling they took quite a few shortcuts when programming this game.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Kanfy posted:

I'm getting the feeling they took quite a few shortcuts when programming this game.

Like releasing half of it at a time.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Not surprisingly, it's pretty much literally two games stitched together.

Rynex
Sep 26, 2007

Kanfy posted:

A Sega Standard.

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.

RyokoTK posted:

It's amazing watching Sonic speedruns because the games are pretty much held together by chewed gum and wishes. They are so easily broken in so many ways.

Oh no, if you want a game that crumples like wet paper towels when put under stress, check out speed runs of DK64.

Speedrunning sonic games just seems to perfect though, because the intention of the game is to go fast, it's just people started figuring out the fastest ways to go are ways not the ways the developers intended.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Kanfy posted:

BLAST PROCESSING! I love these broken as hell runs.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Kanfy posted:

It's more that they use tricks to make it look fluid and fast and then there's a bunch of unrelated physics that interact with weird character states that aren't supposed to happen together.

HDL is killing this run right now.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Wait uh, Big Arm doesn't exist in the full game? Man my memory is really bad.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

HGH posted:

It's a Knuckles only boss in this version, if you are talking about the song it plays later on.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Kanfy posted:

Sega Japan pretty much ran on fumes in the mid-90's, people were severely overworked thanks to constant crunch time.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010

SWMadness posted:

Oh no, if you want a game that crumples like wet paper towels when put under stress, check out speed runs of DK64.

The amount of stress needed to break DK64 is turning the console on.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Ok this run makes it look like theyre playing a totally different game

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

HGH posted:

It's a Knuckles-exclusive boss. It's actually faster to glitch into Knuckles' boss area and fight Big Arms, but because they go by the in-game timer they don't count the slow-as-poo poo hovercar cutscene.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
This Tails glitch is amazing.

Lord Chumley posted:

It's a Knuckles only boss in this version, if you are talking about the song it plays later on.
Alright, sounds like I really DO have to play Knuckles on the full version. They adjusted everything to account for his lower jump right?

Burginator
Sep 10, 2007

Two ALL BEEF patties,
Special Sauce?
Let Us Cheese.
I don't even recognize this as the same game I spent half my childhood on. What are you people doing to my sonic

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

HGH posted:

This Tails glitch is amazing.

Alright, sounds like I really DO have to play Knuckles on the full version. They adjusted everything to account for his lower jump right?

Knuckles has his own paths through most of the game.

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.
Holy crap, that level was insane. :monocle:

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
That zip cut to tails yawning and I'm losing my poo poo right now

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Really quite silly indeed.

At this point I'm not sure if the game is broken, or if it simply just came in an IKEA flatpack for people to assemble as best they could.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Paused posted:

The amount of stress needed to break DK64 is turning the console on.
This is not exaggeration: there was some issue with the game that they just couldn't fix, so they said "gently caress it" and had the game bundled with the RAM expansion pak for the N64

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

SWMadness posted:

Speedrunning sonic games just seems to perfect though, because the intention of the game is to go fast, it's just people started figuring out the fastest ways to go are ways not the ways the developers intended.

Pretty much any Rare game will crumble if stressed.

All the Dankey Kangs, Perfect Dark is "clip through wall, reach each objective, finish level", Banjo, I'm not sure about Goldeneye.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Kanfy posted:

The game is actually very well programmed, BUT they programmed it specifically for speed and to eliminate lag. Only so much you can do with a 7.6 MHz 68000!

The game's physics, collision detection, and object interaction systems are all very CPU-intensive (especially considering just how large all these levels are) so there are a lot of measures taken to make them run as efficiently as possible. The trade off, as always, is that these systems are not as robust and are a lot more prone to error when edge cases occur.

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.

Gibbo posted:

Pretty much any Rare game will crumble if stressed.

All the Dankey Kangs, Perfect Dark is "clip through wall, reach each objective, finish level", Banjo, I'm not sure about Goldeneye.

Banjo-Kazooie doesn't have as many game-breaking strats if I remember correctly, the only big one that separates an any% versus a 100% run is they figured out a way to clip through the final note door.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

"And if you wait 6.25433 seconds, you'll warp to the end of the stage!"

This run :psyduck:

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

SWMadness posted:

Banjo-Kazooie doesn't have as many game-breaking strats if I remember correctly, the only big one that separates an any% versus a 100% run is they figured out a way to clip through the final note door.

There are a number of other things you can do that are broken they just don't have speed running applications. I distinctly remember getting stuck inside a couple objects during a Normal playthrough way back when.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
They're totally right about the next boss, he's an absolute loving dick.
And now I remember something dumb, I think I used level select and played Knuckles in Death Egg and basically the boss was unbeatable since Knuckles never goes to this level.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
A lot of beloved classics devolve into broken messes of coding if you apply enough pressure - Symphony of the Night (most Metroidvanias, really), Ocarina of Time, 2D Sonics...

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Gibbo posted:

There are a number of other things you can do that are broken they just don't have speed running applications. I distinctly remember getting stuck inside a couple objects during a Normal playthrough way back when.

That was just one of Robotnik's deadly speed-traps, definitely nothing buggy or out of the ordinary there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

This run is entertaining and informative and HDL has gotten so incredibly good at getting tricks super fast that it is jawdropping.

• Locked thread