Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

The IRA are/were Irish nationalists. They have never advocated the forced conversion of anyone to Catholicism nor the murder of non-Catholics and were responsible for the murders of many Catholics in the security services and drug dealers and petty criminals who were Catholic.
Yes, but you're presumably familiar with the joke about the atheist in Northern Ireland, right?

This is sort of what I'm getting at. Motives are usually (though not always!) more complicated than having membership of a religion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Droopy Goines posted:

I'm curious. Who do you think can help curb Islamic extremism?

Stop destroying entire nations with century-old colonialist policies.

Powercrazy posted:

I hope that France can finally start talking about getting serious with gun control after this.

There is no chance these AKs were registered and permitted weapons. They came in through smuggling channels, along with an RPG.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

The IRA are/were Irish nationalists. They have never advocated the forced conversion of anyone to Catholicism nor the murder of non-Catholics and were responsible for the murders of many Catholics in the security services and drug dealers and petty criminals who were Catholic.

E: The IRA have never been described as Catholic fundamentalists either by themselves or by the press (British or Irish). British posters itt will attest to that.

What about the huge Catholic vs Protestant conflict during The Troubles?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

computer parts posted:

Outside of the Catholic Church, no.

Children often retain the political party of their parents, their party affiliation is often tied to geographical location and the surrounding community and their peer group. It informs their morals and values, and affects the manner in which they support political figures and social policies. Often, the nature of the party has changed drastically in the previous decades, and old opinions of that party may no longer be relevant.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

The IRA may not have described themselves as fundamentalist, but their entire goal was the absorption of Northern Ireland into the Republic. The Republic of Ireland during the troubles was a loving Catholic theocracy in all but name. Point out a single institution that didn't have the Church woven into the fabric of it and I'll give you a cookie.

The difference is people in Ireland stopped going to church because they realized that the way things were going was ruining their lives and making life for future generations unlivable (hence why everyone was leaving and they're trying to get people back these days).

ronniegardocki
Apr 14, 2012

by Lowtax
lol muslims kill people over the stupidest poo poo

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think it would be important to distinguish between violent acts that are seemingly based on religious extremism like this one may be, though France has a horrific colonialist history, and violent acts based on political grievances which I would say are arguably more legitimate. Though both sets of acts may be done by people who identify with "radical Islam'

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

CommieGIR posted:

My post:

khwarezm posted:

Shocking as it may be to find out but the IRA did not fight for a theocratic society and the expulsion of all protestants from Ireland, the framing of the troubles as Protestant versus Catholic is a crude simplification that ignores the fact that first and foremost it was an ethnic conflict with religion as the most obvious division between the two sections of society. There's a reason that the usual way of referring to either side if you actually live in Ireland isn't 'Protestant versus Catholic' but 'Nationalist versus Loyalist', simply put the Loyalists mostly represent English and Scottish migrants who arrived from the 16th century onwards and valued their British identity and protestant religion to distinguish them from local Gaelic Catholic Irish who were heavily displaced by these settlers. Almost all other cultural markers between these two groups are irrelevant to religion. For example the Irish language, dead as it may be, and the Gaelic games are important to Nationalist identity in Ulster. labeling it as a mere religious dispute is so loving ignorant I can't even.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

CommieGIR posted:

Largely tribal/national loyalties that tended to break down along sectarian lines. There weren't any theological differences relevant. Many churches on both sides worked against violence and wanted harmony. It is complicated but fundamentalism never came into it, though sectarian schisms did.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

ronniegardocki posted:

white people kill over important poo poo like the amount of melatonin in your skin being too high

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Children often retain the political party of their parents, their party affiliation is often tied to geographical location and the surrounding community and their peer group. It informs their morals and values, and affects the manner in which they support political figures and social policies. Often, the nature of the party has changed drastically in the previous decades, and old opinions of that party may no longer be relevant.

All of those apply to race.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

SedanChair posted:

There is no chance these AKs were registered and permitted weapons. They came in through smuggling channels, along with an RPG.

There isn't an RPG

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

SedanChair posted:

They came in through smuggling channels, along with an RPG.

SedanChair posted:

along with an RPG.

What? They had/have and RPG? :psyduck:

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

The Protestants largely identified as British while the Catholics thought themselves Irish. The IRA wanted to be part of Ireland while UVF and others wanted to remain part of the UK. Religion served as the deciding factor in what divided Northern Ireland, so in that case you could say that religion was at the base at the issue since it largely determined whether you were Irish or British (in that you were from a Catholic or Protestant family), but both groups, particulalry the IRA, used primariliy nationaliststic arguments and justifications for their actions.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

ronniegardocki posted:

Seems shrewd enough to me. They'll encourage the flowering of French fascism and sharpen bigotry and hatred towards all people who appear foreign, which in turn will drive recruitment and further attacks.

e:

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

There isn't an RPG

Ah, was that misreported?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Largely tribal/national loyalties that tended to break down along sectarian lines. There weren't any theological differences relevant. Many churches on both sides worked against violence and wanted harmony. It is complicated but fundamentalism never came into it, though sectarian schisms did.

quote:

A key issue at stake was the constitutional status of Northern Ireland. Unionists and loyalists, who are mostly Ulster Protestants, generally want Northern Ireland to remain within the United Kingdom. Irish nationalists and republicans, who are mostly Catholics, generally want it to leave the United Kingdom and join a united Ireland. Another key issue during the early period was civil rights for the Catholic minority who until the early 1970s were discriminated against by government services, by a quasi-military reserve police force

Randarkman posted:

The Protestants largely identified as British while the Catholics thought themselves Irish. The IRA wanted to be part of Ireland while UVF and others wanted to remain part of the UK. Religion served as the deciding factor in what divided Northern Ireland, so in that case you could say that religion was at the base at the issue since it largely determined whether you were Irish or British (in that you were from a Catholic or Protestant family), but both groups, particulalry the IRA, used primariliy nationaliststic arguments and justifications for their actions.

Fair enough.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

computer parts posted:

All of those apply to race.

Only no one will claim you can't leave the GOP, nor will they claim you are racist for opposing them.

Droopy Goines
Aug 2, 2003

Presented in DTS ES 6.1 where available.

SedanChair posted:

My mistake, I thought I would get a real answer.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

SedanChair posted:

Seems shrewd enough to me. They'll encourage the flowering of French fascism and sharpen bigotry and hatred towards all people who appear foreign, which in turn will drive recruitment and further attacks.

That's the anarchist argument for terrorism, I'm pretty sure they were primarily motivated by hitting back against those who had insulted their religion.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

E: Yes, the Republic of Ireland was a hugely Catholic country but that was largely an upshot of resistance to the Church of Ireland (protestant) siding with landowners (largely British). Hence the allegiance to the Catholic church. You can't see the whole picture without factoring in clan, political, tribal, class loyalties, largely inherited. Theology barely comes into it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Only no one will claim you can't leave the GOP, nor will they claim you are racist for opposing them.

People will claim that about being Jewish though. I guess religions are closer to race.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
So, who was responsible for the Fatwa issued towards the editor?

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

Fair enough.

:hfive:

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

So, who was responsible for the Fatwa issued towards the editor?

Whoever issued it I guess. There's no Pope in Islam.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Periodiko posted:

Also, just for the record, the essence of this is total horseshit. There are violent extremist Buddhist monks in Myanmar slaughtering people en masse, and there are tons of examples of Hindu terrorism and mob violence, to the extent that I'm kind of amazed you included Hindus at all.

Please. Buddhists aren't killing people because of Buddha. Hindus aren't raping people because of Shiva. Bad people exist all over the world, no doubt about it. I am not trying to defend evil acts. The world can be a bad place.

The key difference between what you are talking about and what I am talking about is that extremist Muslims JUSTIFY their actions by the tenets of their religion. This is why you see the same sorts of attacks in different parts of the world: Muslims targeting and killing civilians.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Randarkman posted:

Yeah, that's why I was wondering. Some reports I read said that he had had a Fatwa issued on him quite some time ago, but I couldn't find any details on who issued it.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Droopy Goines posted:

My mistake, I thought I would get a real answer.

I'm surprised at your disengagement, that's definitely a real answer. It's certainly a more real answer than "Fix your poo poo, Islam."

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

Randarkman posted:

With the notable exception of Ismaili Muslims, who do follow a single Imam, the Aga Khan. But that's a minority within a minority. Sunni Islam (and the perpetrators of today's attacks, if Muslim, are
likely Sunni) lacks a single leader.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Arkane posted:

Please. Buddhists aren't killing people because of Buddha. Hindus aren't raping people because of Shiva. Bad people exist all over the world, no doubt about it. I am not trying to defend evil acts. The world can be a bad place.

The key difference between what you are talking about and what I am talking about is that extremist Muslims JUSTIFY their actions by the tenets of their religion. This is why you see the same sorts of attacks in different parts of the world: Muslims targeting and killing civilians.

I note you do not mention Christians and Jews up there.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
This is a pretty good read on Islam and the Islamic State. It's a bit long so I'd just bookmark it and come back later, if I were you:

http://www.brookings.edu/research/opinions/2014/10/31-roots-of-islamic-state-appeal-hamid

quote:

Political scientists, including myself, have tended to see religion, ideology, and identity as epiphenomenal—products of a given set of material factors. We are trained to believe in the primacy of “politics.” This isn’t necessarily incorrect, but it can sometimes obscure the independent power of ideas that seem, to much of the Western world, quaint and archaic. As Robert Kagan recently wrote, “For a quarter-century, Americans have been told that at the end of history lies boredom rather than great conflict.” The rise of ISIS is only the most extreme example of the way in which liberal determinism—the notion that history moves with intent toward a more reasonable, secular future—has failed to explain the realities of the Middle East. It should by now go without saying that the overwhelming majority of Muslims do not share ISIS’s view of religion, but that’s not really the most interesting or relevant question. ISIS’s rise to prominence has something to do with Islam, but what is that something?

ISIS draws on, and draws strength from, ideas that have broad resonance among Muslim-majority populations. They may not agree with ISIS’s interpretation of the caliphate, but the notion of a caliphate—the historical political entity governed by Islamic law and tradition—is a powerful one, even among more secular-minded Muslims. The caliphate, something that hasn’t existed since 1924, is a reminder of how one of the world’s great civilizations endured one of the more precipitous declines in human history. The gap between what Muslims once were and where they now find themselves is at the center of the anger and humiliation that drive political violence in the Middle East. But there is also a sense of loss and longing for an organic legal and political order that succeeded for centuries before its slow but decisive dismantling. Ever since, Muslims, and particularly Arab Muslims, have been struggling to define the contours of an appropriate post-caliphate political model.

[...]

Islam is distinctive in how it relates to politics. This isn’t necessarily bad or good. It just is. Comparing it with other religions helps illuminate what makes it so. For example, Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his ruling BJP may be Hindu nationalists, but the ideological distance between them and the secular Congress Party isn’t as great as it may seem. In part, this is because traditional Hindu kingship—with its fiercely inegalitarian vision of a caste-based social order—is simply less relevant to modern, mass politics and largely incompatible with democratic decision-making. As Cook writes in his new book Ancient Religions, Modern Politics, “Christians have no law to restore while Hindus do have one but show little interest in restoring it.” Muslims, on the other hand, not only have a law but also one that is taken seriously by large majorities throughout the Middle East.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

computer parts posted:

People will claim that about being Jewish though. I guess religions are closer to race.

I am undone by one example, truly my analogy of groups that one can leave and join throughout their life despite there also being strong social pressure not to do so is flawed to its core.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

SedanChair posted:

Ah, was that misreported?

It was one idiot 'witness' who's said it and been parotted by media

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I am undone by one example, truly my analogy of groups that one can leave and join throughout their life despite there also being strong social pressure not to do so is flawed to its core.

It is, thanks for noticing.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Randarkman posted:

That's the anarchist argument for terrorism, I'm pretty sure they were primarily motivated by hitting back against those who had insulted their religion.

Nonetheless, the methods and rationale (inflame->isolate->recruit) are similar.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

If you are an atheist you are a racist, doncha know.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

khwarezm posted:

If you are an atheist you are a racist, doncha know.

It's highly likely because many atheists are white.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

computer parts posted:

It is, thanks for noticing.

Please explain how, since all you did was throw race in as well, and essentially link race, political ideology, and religion into one thing.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

computer parts posted:

China, mostly white.

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

Victory and defeat are the same. I urge you to act but not to reflect on the fruit of the act. Seek detachment. Fight without desire.

Don't withdraw into solitude. You must act. Yet action mustn't dominate you. In the heart of action you must remain free from all attachment.

Randarkman posted:

There is. His name is Caliph Ibrahim and he's holed up somewhere between Mosul and Ar-Raqqa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

computer parts posted:

You are a gem.

• Locked thread