Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Nessus posted:

Can you elaborate on that? She's a fascinating character. (Like where does this come from, I'm guessing there is stuff in the Giant Tomes of Elf-Lore, royalties to Chris Tolkien)

Histories of Middle Earth. At least 10 volumes long but jam packed with drafts and information.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Nessus posted:

Can you elaborate on that? She's a fascinating character. (Like where does this come from, I'm guessing there is stuff in the Giant Tomes of Elf-Lore, royalties to Chris Tolkien)

Specifically, I'm getting this from Unfinished Tales, which has a lengthy section on Galadriel and Celeborn as they develop and Galadriel is introduced into the Silmarillion. Tolkien mentions this in early drafts and doesn't explicitly contradict it in later ones, but in brief, his basic elements are that "Galadriel" is a Sindarinified form of Alatariel, which is Quenya for, roughly, "Blondie". This is Celeborn's pet name for her. Her birth names are Artanis ("noble woman") and Nerwen ("man-maiden"). She excelled in hunting, games, and lore in Valinor, and sought with her lover Celeborn (this use of "lover" contradicts some later Silmarillion stuff, which may be a misstatement or may be an interesting clue depending on whether Tolkien left any notes about his proposed changes for the second edition of LOTR) to prove her capabilities by going forth and enlightening the untutored of Arda. Feanor once asked for a strand of her hair and she told him to go to hell, but when he swore the Oath she went along with the vanguard of the Noldor, seeking a place to put her theories to work.

At this point the narrative differs greatly depending on the draft, but overall it's suggested she and Celeborn left Beleriand well before the downfall of the Noldor states and lived in the Old Forest, or at the very least she removed herself before things got really ugly. From there, a ban was set on her return to Valinor, unlike the rest of the Noldor, until such a time as she atoned for her imperialistic behavior. She then ran a small fief under Gil-galad before founding Hollin, leaving that to her cousin once removed Celebrimbor, and deciding to live a pastoral life in the small Silvan kingdom of Lothlorien. When Amroth left with Nimrodel, she took over by default but refused to crown herself, leading eventually to her role in LOTR, after which she tears apart Dol Guldur and then heads south for her granddaughter's wedding. Then she passes westward.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Yeah, he made a lot of changes to Galadriel in later revisions. From what I remember, in early drafts she's complicit in the general sin of the Noldor (though not the worst bits); in later revisions she's more like a Virgin Mary figure who just happens to have pointy ears. Overall I think the earlier versions of her character where she's more flawed are more interesting / "better", but that's my own personal preference. Given the state of things you can probably consider either or both "canon", perhaps as competing historical accounts or different versions of the Red Book.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Another movie question: did the Hobbit actually have Dune worms in it?

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

SirPhoebos posted:

Bilbo says this: "Tell me what you want done, and I will try it, if I have to walk from here to the East of East and fight the wild were-worms in the Last Desert."

And that's literally the only time they are mentioned ever. Anywhere.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

SirPhoebos posted:

There's a brief mention of the "Were-worms of the Last Desert" when Bilbo agrees to join Thorin. They have literally no other references anywhere in anything else Tolkien wrote (unlike giants, which appear in early drafts and outlines for LOTR) and people have speculated endlessly. Of course, given that "worm" is used fairly often to refer to dragons in Tolkien, Bilbo may have been saying "dragon-men" instead.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
There are also those nameless creatures that burrow really deep and even Sauron has forgotten them or something but that would be even more lame.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

SirPhoebos posted:

Oh God no. No no no. Like many other aspects of the movie, they put those in so they have more material for the video game adaptations.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Effectronica posted:

Specifically, I'm getting this from Unfinished Tales, which has a lengthy section on Galadriel and Celeborn as they develop and Galadriel is introduced into the Silmarillion. Tolkien mentions this in early drafts and doesn't explicitly contradict it in later ones, but in brief, his basic elements are that "Galadriel" is a Sindarinified form of Alatariel, which is Quenya for, roughly, "Blondie". This is Celeborn's pet name for her. Her birth names are Artanis ("noble woman") and Nerwen ("man-maiden"). She excelled in hunting, games, and lore in Valinor, and sought with her lover Celeborn (this use of "lover" contradicts some later Silmarillion stuff, which may be a misstatement or may be an interesting clue depending on whether Tolkien left any notes about his proposed changes for the second edition of LOTR) to prove her capabilities by going forth and enlightening the untutored of Arda. Feanor once asked for a strand of her hair and she told him to go to hell, but when he swore the Oath she went along with the vanguard of the Noldor, seeking a place to put her theories to work.

At this point the narrative differs greatly depending on the draft, but overall it's suggested she and Celeborn left Beleriand well before the downfall of the Noldor states and lived in the Old Forest, or at the very least she removed herself before things got really ugly. From there, a ban was set on her return to Valinor, unlike the rest of the Noldor, until such a time as she atoned for her imperialistic behavior. She then ran a small fief under Gil-galad before founding Hollin, leaving that to her cousin once removed Celebrimbor, and deciding to live a pastoral life in the small Silvan kingdom of Lothlorien. When Amroth left with Nimrodel, she took over by default but refused to crown herself, leading eventually to her role in LOTR, after which she tears apart Dol Guldur and then heads south for her granddaughter's wedding. Then she passes westward.

I love the idea that Galadriel gave to Gimli, who asked humbly, what she would not give to Feanor, her rightful king.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

VanSandman posted:

I love the idea that Galadriel gave to Gimli, who asked humbly, what she would not give to Feanor, her rightful king.

Feanor asked three times for a single strand of her hair.

Gimli asks for one strand of hair and gets three.

Nice little Feanor own right there.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

VanSandman posted:

Well, does the king have a right to ask for creepy little trophies of you? Some would say yes but I think the idea there is 'no he does not,' which is probably about what ancient Norse would have said too.

It's kind of a recapitulation of that bit from the Silmarillion really. Feanor (who was at least listening to Morgoth at times) makes a demand because he wants it and gets declined, while Gimli (created, at great remove, from Aule) makes the same request with a humble heart and love for beauty alone, and gets what he asked for and more. It kind of puts an end to all that Elf/Dwarf rage too; after that, isn't the only sign of elf/dwarf tension Gimli and Legolas bickering like a married couple?

e: Oh, apparently Galadriel's hair may have inspired Feanor to make the silmarils. Oopsie!

Nessus fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jan 7, 2015

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Nessus posted:

Well, does the king have a right to ask for creepy little trophies of you? Some would say yes but I think the idea there is 'no he does not,' which is probably about what ancient Norse would have said too.

It's kind of a recapitulation of that bit from the Silmarillion really. Feanor (who was at least listening to Morgoth at times) makes a demand because he wants it and gets declined, while Gimli (created, at great remove, from Aule) makes the same request with a humble heart and love for beauty alone, and gets what he asked for and more. It kind of puts an end to all that Elf/Dwarf rage too; after that, isn't the only sign of elf/dwarf tension Gimli and Legolas bickering like a married couple?

e: Oh, apparently Galadriel's hair may have inspired Feanor to make the silmarils. Oopsie!

That just means Galadriel owns even harder.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

HIJK posted:

That just means Galadriel owns even harder.

It also means "gently caress Feanor", which is a good general guideline.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Unless you're Nerdanel

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Nessus posted:

There wasn't really a ton of dwarf/elf angst for the most part...they were just like "it's been a long time since we were allies and the dwarfs awoke the balrog so we're kinda miffed at them for that"

I think people's perceptions about dwarf and elf relations, at least in lotr, are a bit colored by the movie where they played it up a ton. Gimli and legolas never argued about who should take the ring or about trusting one another etc.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Levitate posted:

There wasn't really a ton of dwarf/elf angst for the most part...they were just like "it's been a long time since we were allies and the dwarfs awoke the balrog so we're kinda miffed at them for that"

I think people's perceptions about dwarf and elf relations, at least in lotr, are a bit colored by the movie where they played it up a ton. Gimli and legolas never argued about who should take the ring or about trusting one another etc.
I think it's heavily magnified from D&D and that argument in the council of elrond, mostly.

Pong Daddy
Oct 12, 2012
Well, there was the whole Sack of Doriath thing too, some elves may have still held grudges about that. And weren't dwarves a little pissed nobody else helped them out when they cleared out all those orc fortresses to avenge Thror(or Thrain, I forget which)

e: Theres also the fact that many dwarves were less wholesome than the Longbeards/Durin's Folk and fought for Sauron.

Pong Daddy fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jan 8, 2015

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

I know LOTR's draft has been published in annotated form in a series of volumes but has there ever been a move to publish the final draft as a single volume? Also, can anyone give a rough comparison of word length between draft and published version?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Josef K. Stardust posted:

I know LOTR's draft has been published in annotated form in a series of volumes but has there ever been a move to publish the final draft as a single volume?
Yup.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

There's also this:

http://www.amazon.com/Lord-Rings-50th-Anniversary-Edition/dp/0618517650/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt

I just got this myself over the holidays and am reading through it now, it's a beautiful book. Runes are printed in red, the maps are fold-out and huge, there are color prints of the pages of the Book of Mazarbul.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

BatteredFeltFedora posted:

It also means "gently caress Feanor", which is a good general guideline.

Fëanor was the best elf who ever elfed. Anyone who says anything else is just a betahobbit.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

These are one-vol. editions of the text as originally published (and very nice ones too!) but I was asking about the draft, which I think C Tolkein published split up in different books, with notes etc. I wondered if the original draft of LOTR had been published as per the original manuscript (as I think the draft has more material than the final version).

E: Sorry if my question was a bit fuzzy!

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.

Hogge Wild posted:

Fëanor was the best elf who ever elfed. Anyone who says anything else is just a betahobbit.

Fëanor alpha as gently caress.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
People have been a bit smug at you, but to answer your question, there's no such thing as a "single original draft" that got cut down for publication. Tolkien worked on LotR for 12 years or so, and he didn't start out with much of a plan. for example, Frodo would originally meet a hobbit named Trotter in Bree, who would only turn into Strider, and Strider into the lost heir of Elendil, over numerous revisions. If that process interests you, you can get the four volumes of Christopher Tolkien's History of Middle-Earth that trace the creation of LotR. But there's no such thing as a longer "director's cut" out there, if that's what you're after.

Hannibal Rex fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jan 8, 2015

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
A betahobbit? What's a betahobbit got to do with my posting anyway? And can ye cook 'em?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
LOTR was written in chunks, annotated, had parts sliced out, had scenes rewritten without changing other scenes and thus making them incompatible. There's no clean drafts really, the book was pulled together after a series of rewrites and ideas. Tolkien didn't write things from start to end in one go.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Aha! Thanks for enlightening me. I read a summary and it made it seem there was a "clean full draft" but yes, it makes complete sense that the original manuscript is a mass of revisions, false starts, cuts etc. :)

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I got a couple questions:

First one is a probably a can of worms, but what has been the overall impression of Christopher Tolkein as both caretaker of his father's writings and an author in his own right? Somewhat related, my brother says that the Tolkein estate has never sold the movie rights to the Simarillion or anything other than the Hobbit and LOTR. Is this true?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Aha! Thanks for enlightening me. I read a summary and it made it seem there was a "clean full draft" but yes, it makes complete sense that the original manuscript is a mass of revisions, false starts, cuts etc. :)

Well, especially since the Silmarillion is literally what you just described: a collection of scraps, notes, drafts, re-drafts, and nearly finished fair copies that he kept working on and reworking throughout his entire life. What really makes it remarkable is that he kept just about everything he ever wrote down, so when Christopher decided to put it all together (and in some cases, like the Tuor story, fill in the gaps on his own) he had like 60 years' worth of material and style tradition to draw on. And then enough raw ore to mine to pump out History of Middle-Earth volumes until his own bibliography was bigger than his dad's.

E: ^^ Yes, that's true. If Christopher had his way they never would have sold the rights to LotR or the Hobbit in the first place, but JRRT was not a rich man and they needed money in the 70s.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

pixelbaron posted:

Feanor asked three times for a single strand of her hair.

Gimli asks for one strand of hair and gets three.

Nice little Feanor own right there.

I never picked up on this. Nice.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

SirPhoebos posted:

I got a couple questions:

First one is a probably a can of worms, but what has been the overall impression of Christopher Tolkein as both caretaker of his father's writings and an author in his own right? Somewhat related, my brother says that the Tolkein estate has never sold the movie rights to the Simarillion or anything other than the Hobbit and LOTR. Is this true?

Chris does an ok job but is too stingy in releasing the source material.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005

Pong Daddy posted:

Well, there was the whole Sack of Doriath thing too, some elves may have still held grudges about that. And weren't dwarves a little pissed nobody else helped them out when they cleared out all those orc fortresses to avenge Thror(or Thrain, I forget which)

e: Theres also the fact that many dwarves were less wholesome than the Longbeards/Durin's Folk and fought for Sauron.

I wasn't aware of that. Got any more information?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
It's kinda hard to judge Christopher Tolkien because he was pretty directly involved in the creation -- the first draft of the Return of the King was a series of letters that JRR sent Christopher while Christopher was serving in the RAF overseas. He's not just a guy who happened to inherit an estate with literary rights, he was an active participant in the creation of the stories. Maybe not a co-author but definitely a first editor.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
This might be of interest to the thread: http://historytoday.com/lynn-forest-hill/inspiration-tolkiens-ring

As a side note, I've been seeing a lot of "Middle-Earth is post-apocalyptic" type stuff recently. Wonder where that idea cropped up from, since it's pretty obvious that it really isn't intended to be one.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I think it's a combination of a) in context of the universe, it actually is "post-apocalyptic" in the sense that the War of Wrath pretty well fits the bill; and b) people mixing it up with the Sword of Shannara or something.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Not just the War of Wrath, there have been multiple large and small apocalypses in Middle-Earth. The fall of Eregion, the sinking of Numenor, Moria, the collapse of Arnor and (slower but no less apocalyptic, I think) of Gondor. Even Smaug caused Dale to be a post-apocalyptic sort of area.

The War of the Last Alliance effectively depopulated a big chunk of the region we're familiar with - removed the Noldor as a serious player. The whole history of Middle-Earth is a long series of events that cause advanced societies to revert to subsistence states. It's why the founding of the Reunited Kingdom at the end of LotR is such a big deal and a huge part of the theme of mourning the loss of better elder days.

EDIT: VV Yeah I had forgotten about the Great Plague, too, thanks. VV

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jan 9, 2015

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Kemper Boyd posted:

This might be of interest to the thread: http://historytoday.com/lynn-forest-hill/inspiration-tolkiens-ring

As a side note, I've been seeing a lot of "Middle-Earth is post-apocalyptic" type stuff recently. Wonder where that idea cropped up from, since it's pretty obvious that it really isn't intended to be one.
There was also this huge plague that had come a while before the events of the novels which was part of why there was so much goddamn barren wasteland for people to traipse through. Presumably Sauron was trying to thin the ranks he was facing.

I don't think Tolkien intended post-apocalyptica as we use the term nowadays. People aren't being the road warrior, but in fifty or a hundred years they wouldn't be doing that here either, they'd probably be living like the Amish or other agricultural sorts. Or like hobbits, if you will. I'd say the broader theme of 'a beautiful thing was destroyed' with the subsidiary theme of 'but something new grows' is entirely consonant with post-apocalyptic stuff.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Interstellar comes to mind.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

BatteredFeltFedora posted:

Not just the War of Wrath, there have been multiple large and small apocalypses in Middle-Earth. The fall of Eregion, the sinking of Numenor, Moria, the collapse of Arnor and (slower but no less apocalyptic, I think) of Gondor. Even Smaug caused Dale to be a post-apocalyptic sort of area.

The War of the Last Alliance effectively depopulated a big chunk of the region we're familiar with - removed the Noldor as a serious player. The whole history of Middle-Earth is a long series of events that cause advanced societies to revert to subsistence states. It's why the founding of the Reunited Kingdom at the end of LotR is such a big deal and a huge part of the theme of mourning the loss of better elder days.

EDIT: VV Yeah I had forgotten about the Great Plague, too, thanks. VV

There's got to be an alternative term for the setting trope because for better or worse 'post-apocalypse' brings to mind Mad Max, Terminator and Fallout when it could be applied to a much broader range of settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

SirPhoebos posted:

There's got to be an alternative term for the setting trope because for better or worse 'post-apocalypse' brings to mind Mad Max, Terminator and Fallout when it could be applied to a much broader range of settings.

I've heard Götterdämmerung ('Twilight of the Gods', or something similar) used several times to describe The Lord of the Rings before.