Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

F. Lobot posted:

This game was built on the source code of the Genesis games. What more could you ask for?

You know what else was built on the source code of the Genesis game? The Genesis games, which are much better (also I'm pretty sure no source code at all is left from 90's Sega, since the physics have never been reproduced).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I am completely okay with this Mario RPG music between games.

e: Oh gently caress now it's Gradius 3 :swoon:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Yeah, my only experience with Dimps was Sonic Advance 1 and 3 so I had no idea why people hated Dimps so much until I played Advance 2 and the Rush/Colors DS games. Sonic Rush and Rush Adventure are not very well-designed games.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

on the subject of donkey kong 64, i'm kind of sad there's no run for that this year because those always end up being magical

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

the sonic advance games aren't great, but at least they aren't sonic 4.

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.
Say what you want about Sonic Advance 2, but the soundtrack is pretty bitching.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I find all the Sonic games on GBA about equal to all the Sonic games on Genesis, with the exception of Sonic 1 which sucks cause it's the first and they had to clue what they were doing. Sonic Rush was okay too, unless it was in 3D at which point it sucked.

EDIT: He just beat the first level in 40 seconds and barely did any tricks, just routing.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Werster full-on smacks Naegleria for his terrible run at SGDQ.

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

why are they wearing sunglasses indoors, you look a fool

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Summer's trainwreck is almost worth it just for Werster's current reaction.

E: Also Advance 2 is funny in that it's not a very good but it's arguably THE best Sonic game for speedrunning when done right.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Balobam posted:

why are they wearing sunglasses indoors, you look a fool

Those are the cheap sunglasses that everyone had at whatever past GDQ. Naegleria :allears:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
This is almost like watching a TAS

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Genesis Sonic games are better on levels and music.
GBA Sonic games are better on visuals and speed.

Both series are better than any given 3D Sonic by miles.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Generations is better than Sonic Advance :colbert:

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
Has Naegleria sworn yet this marathon? I'm surprised I haven't heard him casually drop a curse word so far.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

This is a way better Advance 2 run than last year.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Sonic Colors and Generations are good games.

Sonic Adventure 2: Battle is a terrible awful buggy broken game and I like it.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Heran Bago posted:

That run was terrible, Naegleria knows it's terrible, and Werster just called him an rear end in a top hat for it.

He's not really that good at the games he runs, but he is knowledgeable and good to have on the couch.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Everyone knows Spinball is the best sonic game.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

RyokoTK posted:

Generations is better than Sonic Advance :colbert:

Haven't played it, last Sonic game I played was Unleashed, which I thought was pretty good so I dunno why I haven't played any new ones...

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
The best Sonic game is Sonic the Hedgehog for the Sega Master System.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Best Sonic game is Sonic R :colbert:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Haven't played it, last Sonic game I played was Unleashed, which I thought was pretty good so I dunno why I haven't played any new ones...

The 2d levels are super fast-paced and fairly complex to boot, and the 3d levels are pretty much on par with Unleashed's daytime levels. It's a solid game all around.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Best Sonic game is the hypothetical version of Sonic 3D Blast that didn't have any of that Flicky collection bullshit :colbert:

halwain
May 31, 2011

Heran Bago posted:

I havent seen last years run but oh boy this boss fight :v: .

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
Everyone knows Sonic the Hedgehog Gameworld for the Sega Pico PC is the worst sonic game.

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

That wheel boss is a real fucker.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
That boss is seriously the worst loving thing in Sonic Advance 2. It's just a big ol' pile of bullshit is what it is.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Do not even ask posted:

Best Sonic game is Sonic R :colbert:
Mean Bean Machine :colbert:

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
"its insanely f***ed up that no one has mentioned the only good sonic game, Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games" - my 10 year old niece

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Voted Worst Mom posted:

"its insanely f***ed up that no one has mentioned the only good sonic game, Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games" - my 10 year old niece

Tell your niece to stop swearing, she'll get in trouble at school.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

How does anyone play this casually though :psyduck: You can't see poo poo

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Tell your niece to stop swearing, she'll get in trouble at school.

she'll actually make lots of friends and become a cool delinquent

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Rorus Raz posted:

Mean Bean Machine :colbert:

Maybe if it were using the Puyo 2 ruleset but as it is it's worthless :colbert:

Tonfa posted:

Hey, you may have just stumbled upon why people don't like this game!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Yeah, even as someone who loves Sonic 2 and 3 and enjoyed Sonic Advance 1, Advance 2 gets super crazy and throws a poo poo ton of bottomless pits at you and some really frustrating bosses. I don't mind the whole obstacle course level design itself, but it gets way too super loving crazy. The bottomless pits are probably it's biggest issue, honestly.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

theultimo posted:

Everyone knows Sonic the Hedgehog Gameworld for the Sega Pico PC is the worst sonic game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACsIOa_uSCM

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.

Tonfa posted:

Speaking from personal experience, sheer bull-headed determination with trial-and-error. :downs:

Cool Matty
Jan 8, 2006
Usuyami no Sekai

King of Solomon posted:

Not sure why Fighting Masters was on screen for a few seconds there, but I approve.

There may be a slightly modified Sega Genesis floating around that has a Fighting Masters rom soldered internally, with a switch to enable other Genesis carts.

I may have been somewhat slightly very heavily responsible for the creation of said mod.

The Genesis may be completely impossible to identify outwardly.

Brother Entropy posted:

The former. For awhile it was random chiptunes but sometimes they're specifically aiming for music for games that are coming up.

Indeed. Generally as long as I'm at the mixer, I try to get some music between games. It's a bit of work to do really so don't expect other volunteers to do this. Eventually we'll have this semi-automated, we have the tools, but we just haven't had the time to test and set it up.

Also, if the music doesn't match, it's either because I don't have the music on-hand (very common) or because it's already been played enough. I'm going to continue growing my local chiptune music library but it's going to be a work in progress. I also direct capture non-chiptune music from the consoles where possible (such as Nintendo DS), but I avoid any games on CD because that's generally an auto-flag for VODs.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

The Colonel posted:

Yeah, even as someone who loves Sonic 2 and 3 and enjoyed Sonic Advance 1, Advance 2 gets super crazy and throws a poo poo ton of bottomless pits at you and some really frustrating bosses. I don't mind the whole obstacle course level design itself, but it gets way too super loving crazy. The bottomless pits are probably it's biggest issue, honestly.

Oh yeah and don't forget that in order to get into the special stages you need to collect SEVEN of those weird winged tokens in a level, all in one attempt without dying. And you must do this in at least one act of EVERY ZONE.

So basically imagine how super goddamn annoying it is to play these stages normally and then imagine having to do them WHILE collecting seven random trinkets that require one very specific route and tons of miss-it-and-you-must-restart tricks to get them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007
"You just PB'd that!"

"28? ............................................. nice"

• Locked thread