Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

I have a really weird question. Is this music royalty free or something? I was surprised to hear it over the in-game radio, but I swear I've heard it somewhere other than in some obscure rpg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB

Poniard posted:

I have a really weird question. Is this music royalty free or something? I was surprised to hear it over the in-game radio, but I swear I've heard it somewhere other than in some obscure rpg.

Woah is an Okage song really in the radio's playlist? That's cool, but I can't imagine it being legal without permission.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 37 minutes!

Poniard posted:

The Crusher posted:

Woah is an Okage song really in the radio's playlist? That's cool, but I can't imagine it being legal without permission.

According to a comment on that youtube video, almost the entire primary instrument content of that "composition" is sampled from a freeware music program of some sort- soundtrack pro, maybe.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Is it normal for the game to take a million years to load a save all of a sudden?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

SpazmasterX posted:

Is it normal for the game to take a million years to load a save all of a sudden?

PSN is hosed tonight...

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

Skeezy posted:

So there's allegedly a survey going around from Ubisoft that asks where players would like Far Cry to go in the future: http://kotaku.com/far-cry-could-be-going-in-some-crazy-directions-1677586044

I wouldn't mind the Zombie or Dinosaur games as a big expansion pack which either started with Yogi jabbing Ajay with something that had some of Yuma's hallucinogenics mixed in or ended with him waking up at the homestead discovering that is what happened. Of the rest, I'd probably go with a desert or urban setting, the grappling hook in a suitably damaged city environment could be fun.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

A dream sequence involving a lovely bow-based boss fight that ends with a major villain dead? That's a little, uh... that's a little Far Cry 3 there, Far Cry 4. Disappointing. Yuma deserved better.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Far Cry 5: Nazi Vampires vs the Martian Dinosaur Lords. This time, you're a chick!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Pvt.Scott posted:

Far Cry 5: Nazi Vampires vs the Martian Dinosaur Lords. This time, you're a chick!
Unlikely, women are too resource-intensive to have in a game as large as Far Cry.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost
God-loving-drat drug fields that won't catch fire properly :argh: I swear the same thing happened to me in FC3 too :haw: That aside, I'm *so* glad I purchased the gyrocopter; such a nice way to scoot around the map in peace, clearing up collectibles, or just taking in the sights.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Well I was hoping that when I got FC4 I would be able to play it then read through the thread, but it is running pretty badly on my computer after installing it yesterday and it's really saddening to me how it's performance is making me not eager to play it.

I tried it without downloading the latest patch first and it was certifiably unplayable with the Mouse Acceleration. After patching it I still have trouble with what I believe is called "micro stuttering"... when I'm running I feel like I go two or three paces and then stop for a quick second, for example. The entire thing runs very "choppy", even though FC3 ran seamlessly.

Here is some of my computer info, I guess I'm wondering if I need to upgrade to make it work better. I'm guessing I do, so what would be the most cost effective way of doing it?

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

I'll just mention this since I didn't see you mention it, but I had some really bad issues with FC4 when I first booted up; Everything had Depth of Field blur at the worst times, things were choppy, etc. The instant fix was just updating my Nvidia drivers. Have you done that recently? If not, give it a shot.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The Crusher posted:

I'll just mention this since I didn't see you mention it, but I had some really bad issues with FC4 when I first booted up; Everything had Depth of Field blur at the worst times, things were choppy, etc. The instant fix was just updating my Nvidia drivers. Have you done that recently? If not, give it a shot.

I haven't- would the GeForce GT 530 count under their 500 Series?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

A dream sequence involving a lovely bow-based boss fight that ends with a major villain dead? That's a little, uh... that's a little Far Cry 3 there, Far Cry 4. Disappointing. Yuma deserved better.

It's kind of a bummer that Yuma doesn't get explored a lot more. She's Pagan's right hand or whatever and it's just a bummer.

I'd hate if they did this but I'd like some Yuma DLC.

On the topic of dinos and zombies, I don't think I'd like Far Cry 5 to be that but I could see that being decent FC4 DLC. Like Anime_Otaku said, make it be some Yogi/Reggie related trip or something.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I'd be stunned if you managed to getanything to run of of a 530. Spend a hundred or so and buy a GTX 750ti. That should work on your Dell PSU.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
gently caress Yogi and Reggie. If there is anyone I possibly hate more than Amita and Sabal, it is them two.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

gently caress Yogi and Reggie. If there is anyone I possibly hate more than Amita and Sabal, it is them two.

Weren't they working for Noore or was I mistaken? I found it weird that Ajay never told them she died or something.

brae
Feb 2, 2006
Why can't I just save my game whenever I want? Or whenever out of combat? I've only played a couple hours of the game, but lost maybe an hour of real time due to the dumb checkpointing system. It wasn't clear to me that if you're on a mission, you don't get saves except at checkpoints and even those disappear if you quit the game and play later.

It sucks to kill tough animals during a mission but then lose progress later when you die due to something silly. This seems like a thing big console games shouldn't make me deal with in 2014/2015.

It's a fun and super pretty game otherwise though.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

brae posted:

Why can't I just save my game whenever I want? Or whenever out of combat? I've only played a couple hours of the game, but lost maybe an hour of real time due to the dumb checkpointing system. It wasn't clear to me that if you're on a mission, you don't get saves except at checkpoints and even those disappear if you quit the game and play later.

It sucks to kill tough animals during a mission but then lose progress later when you die due to something silly. This seems like a thing big console games shouldn't make me deal with in 2014/2015.

It's a fun and super pretty game otherwise though.

There's no manual way to save on consoles? When I'm ready to up and leave on PC you can just hit ESC, click Save (or save and quit, but that's just to the main menu) and the click Quit to Desktop. Been pretty handy. Kinda shocked if that wasn't the case across all platforms.

Evil Tim
Sep 9, 2007

It is shameful for a demon to be working

The Crusher posted:

There's no manual way to save on consoles? When I'm ready to up and leave on PC you can just hit ESC, click Save (or save and quit, but that's just to the main menu) and the click Quit to Desktop. Been pretty handy. Kinda shocked if that wasn't the case across all platforms.

Would be in-keeping with FC2 only having quicksaves on PC, I guess. Enjoy climbing Goka Falls over and over to get that ridiculous hang-glider diamond!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The Iron Rose posted:

I'd be stunned if you managed to getanything to run of of a 530. Spend a hundred or so and buy a GTX 750ti. That should work on your Dell PSU.

Someone else suggested the same thing; I think I'll save up :)

brae
Feb 2, 2006

The Crusher posted:

The save option only shows up (for me, at least) when I'm not in a mission. I just had a mission that involved going a bit across the map (zone?) and I ran into a bunch of wildlife - I didn't have the save option at the time. I made it to a checkpoint but then had to quit and come back later, and then I was at the start of the mission again at the beginning. At least that's how it seems to work, so I'll try not to get sidetracked with anything during missions in the future and do collecting and stuff outside of a mission.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm never opening a cage with a wild tiger in it again :negative:

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

brae posted:

The save option only shows up (for me, at least) when I'm not in a mission. I just had a mission that involved going a bit across the map (zone?) and I ran into a bunch of wildlife - I didn't have the save option at the time. I made it to a checkpoint but then had to quit and come back later, and then I was at the start of the mission again at the beginning. At least that's how it seems to work, so I'll try not to get sidetracked with anything during missions in the future and do collecting and stuff outside of a mission.

You can abandon the mission you're on so that you still keep the inventory you earned while in the mission. It normally resets your location to the last fast-travel area you were in (and auto-saves when it drops you back in). You can go to a trade bureau and buy ammo to force an auto-save as well.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Abu Dave posted:

I'm never opening a cage with a wild tiger in it again :negative:

Sure you can.

Just do it with a C4 :q:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I spent an hour looking for an animal today around the spot on the map where it says it should be with hunting syringes popping non stop and didn't find it. went to a second place on the map and it was right on the waypoint.

Are the devs loving with me with troll map icons?

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

A Reversal of Fortune, Perhaps?

magimix posted:

That aside, I'm *so* glad I purchased the gyrocopter; such a nice way to scoot around the map in peace, clearing up collectibles, or just taking in the sights.

Thank god they fixed the air detection. In far cry 1 and far cry 2, if you flew right over an enemy even if you were 300 feet above them they would always see you and fire a puff of gunfire and your hanglider would divebomb into the ground and you would die.

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:
The icons only tell you animals might be in that area, there's no guarantee. I found it most commonly occurred with Rhinos but after like an hour of looking around the map at various locations that were supposed to have rhinos I gave up. Far easier to just pack a bow with you when you're doing stuff and murder the animal when you just come across it, I did some Amita mission and just as I was finishing up murdering the army I see the herd of 3 rhinos in the back ground. That was an interesting 10 minutes, but I took all 3 down with just arrows :getin:.

I'm also in love with the buzzer and the M79 I've can now manage to reliably hit whatever I want from the max flight ceiling of the buzzer. I took on a Pagan's Wrath convoy at 60m with 1 grenade, how I wish i was running shadowplay at the time. I'd never really been one to bother with shadowplay but this game has made me turn it on just to capture some of the funny poo poo that happens in Kyrat.

rocket_Magnet fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jan 8, 2015

Evil Tim
Sep 9, 2007

rocket_Magnet posted:

The icons only tell you animals might be in that area, there's no guarantee. I found it most commonly occurred with Rhinos but after like an hour of looking around the map at various locations that were supposed to have rhinos I gave up.

I have a feeling they're supposed to mean at least one animal of that type spawns in that area at any given time but the spawn craps out sometimes (and they're not always in the drawn area so a syringe won't necessarily let you find them). The areas are a fair bit bigger than the icon suggests, too.

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe
I've found that you're not guaranteed to encounter an animal just running around in their zone, but if you throw bait then the game will basically spawn one just out of your view. I've run around zones with my camera out trying to stumble on animals "naturally" for a solid 5 or 10 minutes, but as soon as I've thrown the bait they've come running.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Gotta love how forgiving some of these missions can be when you play like a dumbass. Spoilers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1bHGElKE6Y

Evil Tim
Sep 9, 2007

Phetz posted:

I've found that you're not guaranteed to encounter an animal just running around in their zone, but if you throw bait then the game will basically spawn one just out of your view. I've run around zones with my camera out trying to stumble on animals "naturally" for a solid 5 or 10 minutes, but as soon as I've thrown the bait they've come running.

I think there's something like 4 possible spawns per area, I know when I was grinding for snow leopards in one of the Himalayas missions I would randomly get either a snow leopard, a clouded leopard, a tiger (?) or a bear.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Phetz posted:

that's predators only though right?

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

SpazmasterX posted:

Gotta love how forgiving some of these missions can be when you play like a dumbass. Spoilers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1bHGElKE6Y

This is the exact reason my 4 weapons are usually bow, auto xbow, silenced sniper, aaaaand a bigass machine gun for when I invariably mess up my stealth attempt on the second kill and go full Rambo instead.

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe

Real hurthling! posted:

that's predators only though right?

Yeah it could just be predators. For some reason I think I was able to attract rhinos with it, but I might have just gotten lucky.

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty
Rhinos are classed as "Predator" though if I remember right. I know FC3 had buffalo considered a predator, I think their definition is just any animal that will actually attack you.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I just got this game and I'm downloading it now. I remember seeing something a while ago about some of the graphics settings not working right, is that sorted now or should I not use some of them?

Evil Tim
Sep 9, 2007

Pwnstar posted:

I just got this game and I'm downloading it now. I remember seeing something a while ago about some of the graphics settings not working right, is that sorted now or should I not use some of them?

It used to have problems with SLI setups; enabling soft shadows would result in jet-black shadows and a period just after sunset and just before dawn where the world was completely pitch black. Apparently the issue was that Ubisoft gave Nvidia the 1.0 build, they released a driver (344.75) and then Ubi immediately released the 1.01 patch which broke the SLI settings. Changing the FOV slider also used to bork the sights on the mortar. Both of those seem to be essentially fixed as of 1.06.

(Also having a Logitech G13 plugged in or any of its drivers running would prevent the game from starting before I think 1.01 or 1.02)

Evil Tim fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jan 9, 2015

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.
What is with the murderous eagles in this game? Everywhere I go there are screaming peasants and eagles pecking their eyeballs out and eating their brains.. Wherever I see an eagle in the sky, there's like a pile of dead people scattered around that could not handle the onslaught of a 5 pound winged bird with hollow bones. So far this game is pretty much Far Cry 3, except more instances of "laugh at NPCs who are getting attacked by eagles." I'm perfectly ok with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mental Midget posted:

What is with the murderous eagles in this game? Everywhere I go there are screaming peasants and eagles pecking their eyeballs out and eating their brains.. Wherever I see an eagle in the sky, there's like a pile of dead people scattered around that could not handle the onslaught of a 5 pound winged bird with hollow bones. So far this game is pretty much Far Cry 3, except more instances of "laugh at NPCs who are getting attacked by eagles." I'm perfectly ok with this.
I stand by my theory that Far Cry 4 is a modern-day Elder Scrolls game and those are the descendants of cliff racers.

• Locked thread