Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
oh and the harper quest triggers take forever to fire and do so randomly in specific areas of the game. I mean, you have to be in athkatla to start some, in the wilderness to start some etc.

If you're approaching the end of chapter 2 and you're still not finished with them, I'd just use the console and start them manually. most ppl don't ever get them without leaving the game running unpaused for hours.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Jan 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Man I forgot how lovely the NPC stats are for Baldur's Gate. Who do people like to run with as a cleric for an evil party?

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

Levitate posted:

Man I forgot how lovely the NPC stats are for Baldur's Gate. Who do people like to run with as a cleric for an evil party?

Viconia is the the obvious choice but Branwen can work since she's true neutral.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Metal Meltdown posted:

Viconia is the the obvious choice but Branwen can work since she's true neutral.

oh dang I forgot you can get Viconia early, for some reason I thought she was recruited in the city Baldur's Gate

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I'm doing just that in my ironman run right now. I have Viconia and Branwen; I'll drop Branwen when I make it to Baldur's Gate so I can pick up THE INCREDIBLE TIAX.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Arivia posted:

I'm doing just that in my ironman run right now. I have Viconia and Branwen; I'll drop Branwen when I make it to Baldur's Gate so I can pick up THE INCREDIBLE TIAX.

One of these days I want to try Quail. I don't think that he says much like most BG1 NPCs, but I'd still like to try him even though stat-wise he's not stellar.

I've never tried Tiax either, but cleric/thief isn't a class combination with great synergy unless I'm missing something. Mage(illusionist)/thief quite a bit, and druid/thief would be loving sweet if they allowed it. I was hoping that the EE games would expand class options, but no such luck.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Sanctuary is quite useful for backstabbing and the running away. DUHM and other cleric buffs are also good for mega backstabs. I guess you could use the Cleric Find Traps spell as well if you want to save thief points. It's not the most obvious synergy, but there is some useful crossover I guess.

Fighter/Cleric and Thief/Mage is definitely a better power duo than Fighter/Mage and Cleric/Thief, though.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

sebzilla posted:

Fighter/Cleric and Thief/Mage is definitely a better power duo than Fighter/Mage and Cleric/Thief, though.

dunno about cleric/thief but fighter/mage is pretty much the most effective class in the game, dual or multiclass.

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA
Just finished IWD2, and it seems the ending has a slight cliffhanger, or at least a pretty open ending. Was there ever any expansion/sequel being talked about?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

kujeger posted:

Just finished IWD2, and it seems the ending has a slight cliffhanger, or at least a pretty open ending. Was there ever any expansion/sequel being talked about?

Damnit now I wish I would have finished it at least once back in the day. I love the game and played it through to the Dragon's Eye like 4 or 5 times but always got bogged down or lost or whatever.

I just bought IWD2 on GoG and it has run fine so far. My party of 2 Socerers, 2 Clerics, a Fighter, and a Rogue/Bard is probably going to be bad, but it sounded fun at the time of creation.

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA

Bort Bortles posted:

Damnit now I wish I would have finished it at least once back in the day. I love the game and played it through to the Dragon's Eye like 4 or 5 times but always got bogged down or lost or whatever.

I just bought IWD2 on GoG and it has run fine so far. My party of 2 Socerers, 2 Clerics, a Fighter, and a Rogue/Bard is probably going to be bad, but it sounded fun at the time of creation.

IWD2 seems to have to most problems with nvidia cards. Nvidia isn't too great on support for old 2d trickeries -- both intel and amd seem to do a better job there.

2 sorcerers and 2 clerics will bring you some pretty heavy firepower.. Summons are, as always, great to use. With the various feats for making saving throws against your spells tougher, you can get even chromatic orb to reliably stun enemies. If you take a look at the spell list and plan appropiately, you can make some pretty cruel combinations.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Bort Bortles posted:

One of my favourite bits about the ruleset in IWD2 is that you don't have to have a rogue, which was more or less the case in the games that used 2nd edition rules. I always made a drow bard with one level of rogue, and for the rest of the game I would have a character with good songs, handy support spells, and the ability to handle all of the locks and traps.

Rogues are better in 3rd edition, but I still wouldn't want a single-class one and multi/dualclassing (without kits, to be precise) is one of the few things that's worse in 3rd edition compared to 2nd... with the above-mentioned suggestion of taking one level in rogue and then being a career bard.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

kujeger posted:

IWD2 seems to have to most problems with nvidia cards. Nvidia isn't too great on support for old 2d trickeries -- both intel and amd seem to do a better job there.

2 sorcerers and 2 clerics will bring you some pretty heavy firepower.. Summons are, as always, great to use. With the various feats for making saving throws against your spells tougher, you can get even chromatic orb to reliably stun enemies. If you take a look at the spell list and plan appropiately, you can make some pretty cruel combinations.

I think I remember being successful with only 1 cleric and another fighter type instead (this is like....10 years ago when I was pretty bad/dumb), but I figured that a cleric is close enough to a fighter type but also gets crazy spells (including healing) so it was worth a shot. I can endlessly buff the party with bless and chant and whatever.

I had previously done two Sorcerers and it was insane; the sheer output of damage was just nuts :torgue: . I would have one spec Fire and Lightning and the other Acid and Ice and it was loltastic. I am a little wiser now and want to have some non-damaging stuff (like summons) as well as invocation spells.

JustJeff88 posted:

One of my favourite bits about the ruleset in IWD2 is that you don't have to have a rogue, which was more or less the case in the games that used 2nd edition rules. I always made a drow bard with one level of rogue, and for the rest of the game I would have a character with good songs, handy support spells, and the ability to handle all of the locks and traps.

Rogues are better in 3rd edition, but I still wouldn't want a single-class one and multi/dualclassing (without kits, to be precise) is one of the few things that's worse in 3rd edition compared to 2nd... with the above-mentioned suggestion of taking one level in rogue and then being a career bard.

That is exactly my idea. 1 in Rogue then Bard the rest of the way, though mine is human because :effort: and the extra skillpoints. My whole party is human or elf because I'm an unimaginitive schmuck. I thought of doing Aasimar for the Bard and Clerics but ehh, +2 Wis and Cha in exchange for leveling slower? Not sure it is worth it.

I also have a hardon for a party of 4 (or even 6) that are all rogues to some degree....the whole party sneaks in somewhere and backstabs their own target (or all stab one powerful target :ese: ) then starts dropping spells or pull out two handed swords and go to town. The downside would be all the cutscenes reducing the effectiveness of that play, and everyone being underleveled in their non-rogue classes.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I feel like steamrolling through Icewind Dale: EE, what is the most absurd party for making GBS threads all over the game? I know Archers are ridiculous and I guess Dwarven Defender would be pretty amazing.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

Pwnstar posted:

I feel like steamrolling through Icewind Dale: EE, what is the most absurd party for making GBS threads all over the game? I know Archers are ridiculous and I guess Dwarven Defender would be pretty amazing.

Bounty hunters are mean. The ole Berserker->druid at level 7. Half orc fighter cleric, sorceress, kensai->mage, the mentioned archer. A lot of the kits melt the game. If you want to break its face there are lots of ways to do it. Archer is still the most beastly though. Once you get your mage improved haste he'll be machine gunning 10 arrows per round.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Beamdog is making an IE title/adventure that will bridge Baldur's Gate 1 and 2.

They have been working on it for quite a while, but this is the first time I hear them being open about it, so far it was all cagey mentions of "Adventure Y". No title, pricing or details yet, but it does sound like it's coming fairly soon.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I want Planescape EE working on my tablets :colbert:

In other BG2 related questions, can someone please give me a non-spoiler clue as to where the rakshasa is so I can get the Djinns out of Trademeet? Do I get better items/XP if I find the rakshasa than if I simply slaughter them?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Is there anything to bridge? I always thought it was basically 'You defeated Sarevok. Just as you are leaving Baldur's Gate, you get jumped by unknown bandits and vampires! Then you wake up in a ~*~strange dungeon~*~'.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

BadAstronaut posted:

I want Planescape EE working on my tablets :colbert:

In other BG2 related questions, can someone please give me a non-spoiler clue as to where the rakshasa is so I can get the Djinns out of Trademeet? Do I get better items/XP if I find the rakshasa than if I simply slaughter them?

You'll find it while you're doing the main Trademeet quest, it's very hard to miss.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

The main trademeet quest = the druid grove? I am already finished there. So I should go back to that area?

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA

BadAstronaut posted:

The main trademeet quest = the druid grove? I am already finished there. So I should go back to that area?

In the eastern tower of the druid grove area. It won't trigger until you have the quest.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

BadAstronaut posted:

I actually edited the druid grove to the main trademeet quest because I was afraid of spoiling, ha.

But yeah, the Rakshasha is found in the northeastern building.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Thanks guys - went and sorted them out :)

Now with those two rivaling Trademeet families. There is no wrong way to complete this, right?

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
Do the undead in the first Undercity screen respawn? I figure the easiest way to beat the mercenaries would be to clear out the ruins, spread my party around, cast fear in the middle of the enemy pack, and then pick them off as they go running. But if a ghast wanders into a fight against one of my weaker companions, it could blow the plans.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

BadAstronaut posted:

Now with those two rivaling Trademeet families. There is no wrong way to complete this, right?

Well no, but the third option is a teeny-tiny bit better.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

BadAstronaut posted:

Not really, although there's a third option that you can take that's way more satisfying.

Trademeet is such a wonderful place, RPG's need more towns like that.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Hmmm. And the third option becomes apparent quite easily? I know I am tip-toeing around the game here, but I want to make the absolute best of this goodie two shoes pure Kensai run before I come back as an evil wild mage on an evil party run.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Milky Moor posted:

Is there anything to bridge? I always thought it was basically 'You defeated Sarevok. Just as you are leaving Baldur's Gate, you get jumped by unknown bandits and vampires! Then you wake up in a ~*~strange dungeon~*~'.

I got the sense that there was a period of time between the end of BG and the start of II. I think most of the NCP dialogue when you re-meet them seems to imply time has passed, be it a few months or years.

In any case, I am happy for more content.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

bunnielab posted:

I got the sense that there was a period of time between the end of BG and the start of II. I think most of the NCP dialogue when you re-meet them seems to imply time has passed, be it a few months or years.

In any case, I am happy for more content.

I also think there is some dialogue that implies you spent at least a month or so adventuring about before getting captured. I haven't actually done any of the EE character quests but I found the first black put to be enjoyable so I'm down for more of that.

Speaking of the black pit, is there any huge reason to import my first party to the second pit in BG2:EE? I had a pretty solid party for the first game but I had at least some dead weight in the form of a thief and I didn't go out of my way to grind their levels up.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

BadAstronaut posted:

Hmmm. And the third option becomes apparent quite easily?

It will come up as you progress through the quest. I don't think it's possible to miss it.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
i wonder how they're gonna implement this bridge without loving up the balance. i mean, you can't basically level up more than once or twice or you'll be way overpowered in bg2.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

Dyna Soar posted:

i wonder how they're gonna implement this bridge without loving up the balance. i mean, you can't basically level up more than once or twice or you'll be way overpowered in bg2.

I suspect they'll probably just do that. I can't imagine it being a full length game so a couple level ups will be about right. I'm interested in the new items. I've actually found some if the new items in the EE games being some of my favorite in the series.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Eh, they can just make you lose XP to max 160k for story reasons. Irecinus torturing you or whatever.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Smol posted:

Eh, they can just make you lose XP to max 160k for story reasons. Irecinus torturing you or whatever.

maybe they'll implement crafting and scroll scribing :)

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

So I noticed a "fun" bug in BG2:EE after I imported a BG1:EE character. It seems that BG2:EE doesn't particularly like some of the soundsets from the previous game. I'd chosen the Male6 set, which for some obscure reason translates into spouting random lines from Aerie's romance dialogue. It makes the game... interesting, and ever so slightly disturbing. On the other hand, it does make my characters CN alignment slightly more believable.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

inscrutable horse posted:

So I noticed a "fun" bug in BG2:EE after I imported a BG1:EE character. It seems that BG2:EE doesn't particularly like some of the soundsets from the previous game. I'd chosen the Male6 set, which for some obscure reason translates into spouting random lines from Aerie's romance dialogue. It makes the game... interesting, and ever so slightly disturbing. On the other hand, it does make my characters CN alignment slightly more believable.

You sure that's not the Imoen romance mod? :v:

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Wait, if they are working on BG 1.5 which is a completely new game, then that implies they got AD&D licence from Wizards or whoever, right? I thought they aren't giving it anymore.

Of course, this is if we presume that BG 1.5 is AD&D to begin with.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Smol posted:

Oh dear lord, no! :gonk: It's the character who's insane, not me. Anyway, it's a vanilla install of BG2:EE - apart from BGTutu in the ye olden days, I've never used mods.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Smol posted:

Did that ever get finished or did they realize just how hosed up it was?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Vichan posted:

Did that ever get finished or did they realize just how hosed up it was?

Imoen Romance is eternally in development to remind us that not all mods are good mods.