Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
So I missed it yesterday but Trent Franks and Marsha Blackburn reintroduced the Pain Capable Unborn Child Protection Act. This act passed the house last year, but stalled out on the senate. Lindsey Graham plans on introducing a companion bill in the senate. This would ban abortion after 20 weeks, on the claim that it is banning fetal pain. You may think this sounds very familiar to the Arizona law from a few years back whose wording was so poor it declared women as pregnant before conception. That's because it's the same poo poo.

loving hell man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fried Chicken posted:

So I missed it yesterday but Trent Franks and Marsha Blackburn reintroduced the Pain Capable Unborn Child Protection Act. This act passed the house last year, but stalled out on the senate. Lindsey Graham plans on introducing a companion bill in the senate. This would ban abortion after 20 weeks, on the claim that it is banning fetal pain. You may think this sounds very familiar to the Arizona law from a few years back whose wording was so poor it declared women as pregnant before conception. That's because it's the same poo poo.

loving hell man

Same concept or literally the same language?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Radbot posted:

Well, to start, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claiborne_Pell - hell, even President Eisenhower (who I'm aware was a Republican) voiced his support for the 26th Amendment. You could also look to the '68 DNC to find a huge block of Democrats who supported the youth electorate (though obviously not the majority of Dems).

You're seriously citing the 1968 DNC as an example of the Democratic Party catering to the youth?

On your earth is the Chicago Seven a pop band led by Micheal Chicago?

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

evilweasel posted:

youth voters are generally not disenfranchised they just don't really care and have better things to do

by design yeah :v:

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

evilweasel posted:

youth voters are generally not disenfranchised they just don't really care and have better things to do

Yes like "work at a call center for 12 hours without overtime" and "find a fourth roommate to cover your higher rent"

I guess it depends on what you consider disenfranchised. A system that ensures any candidate that would help your station in life will be doomed to fail seems pretty disenfranchising to me.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Sorry I don't mean that they are disenfranchised in terms of being able to vote, but have very little ways to actually affect anything that concerns them such as predatory student loans, under employment amongst millennials, drug laws, inability to afford what used to be the "American Dream" such as housing or starting a family, etc.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Stultus Maximus posted:

It's just too bad people think that all public radio is "NPR" because PRI is putting out much better material.

NPR was essentially created to put leftist minority radio out of business.

Which it did, Pacifica is a joke these days.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Stultus Maximus posted:

Also, NPR fired their opera host for participating in Occupy Wall Street due to "conflict of interest." An opera host. They still run Planet Money despite Adam Davidson taking large speaking fees from major financial institutions.

Oh and then there was the time Juan Williams went over to Fox and said that NPR has a minority problem. Liberals all rolled their eyes. Oh look, NPR cancelled their sole show that has minority viewpoints. Of course, Tavis Smiley bailed for PRI ten years earlier because NPR doesn't give a poo poo about non-upper middle class whites/

It's just too bad people think that all public radio is "NPR" because PRI is putting out much better material.

Juan Williams got fired because he was already on probation for sexual harassment charges from multiple women. Holding him up for declaiming NPR after they tossed him is not an element you would want to include in your argument.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Radish posted:

Sorry I don't mean that they are disenfranchised in terms of being able to vote, but have very little ways to actually affect anything that concerns them such as predatory student loans, under employment amongst millennials, drug laws, etc.

He wasn't talking about ability to vote either, he was talking about willingness to vote.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

zoux posted:

Same concept or literally the same language?

I'm assuming same concept since I haven't seen the exact language, but given the difficulty pinpointing date of conception for most people I expect it has similar flaws

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

Stultus Maximus posted:

Also, NPR fired their opera host for participating in Occupy Wall Street due to "conflict of interest." An opera host. They still run Planet Money despite Adam Davidson taking large speaking fees from major financial institutions.

Oh and then there was the time Juan Williams went over to Fox and said that NPR has a minority problem. Liberals all rolled their eyes. Oh look, NPR cancelled their sole show that has minority viewpoints. Of course, Tavis Smiley bailed for PRI ten years earlier because NPR doesn't give a poo poo about non-upper middle class whites/

Ahh I miss Tell me More. Michel still produces interesting stuff. She's looking at NFL sometime in the near future, I think.

Do you read/listen to Code Switch?

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Fried Chicken posted:

Juan Williams got fired because he was already on probation for sexual harassment charges from multiple women. Holding him up for declaiming NPR after they tossed him is not an element you would want to include in your argument.

I won't defend Juan because he's a dick but the point is fairly accurate.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Fried Chicken posted:

loving hell man

I'm really curious how far they are going to go now that they've been embolden with another mandate to do whatever they want. I'm assuming effectively making abortions illegal as they've been doing in the certain areas of South but I'm curious what awful stuff I haven't even thought of they are planning. I'm guessing company script will be making a comeback.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Radish posted:

I'm really curious how far they are going to go now that they've been embolden with another mandate to do whatever they want. I'm assuming effectively making abortions illegal as they've been doing in the certain areas of South but I'm curious what awful stuff I haven't even thought of they are planning. I'm guessing company script will be making a comeback.

this close enough to script?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's scrip, guys.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Fried Chicken posted:

Just because he was a lovely reporter and lovely person doesn't mean he wasn't right about NPR having a minority problem. His shittiness allowed liberals to dismiss that accurate criticism and continue pretending NPR is good.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I'm thinking "Walmart Company Store" like they tried in Mexico a few years ago. I think it will be called the "Worker Payment Freedom Act."

zoux posted:

It's scrip, guys.

Oops

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jan 7, 2015

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

computer parts posted:

He wasn't talking about ability to vote either, he was talking about willingness to vote.

Right. Why vote when no candidate represents your viewpoints and FPTP voting/presidential debate rules/etc. ensure a third party candidate will never win a national race?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Radbot posted:

Right. Why vote when no candidate represents your viewpoints and FPTP voting/presidential debate rules/etc. ensure a third party candidate will never win a national race?

Yet mysteriously they all start voting in larger numbers after they reach the age of 30.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Stultus Maximus posted:

Im bitter because the Smiley and West show ended and I am still bitter at how harsh people have been on them because they had the nerve to criticize Obama.

As for health care reform, after my first year working in a hospital as an RN, holy poo poo some of it can be sickening, particularly when it comes to surgeries. There is one doctor there that I work with that does like 6 or 7 spinal fusions in a day to the point that he is under investigation for recommending them when they may not have been necessary.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Radbot posted:

the Ferguson strategy, I see

If you don't vote, nobody gonna do poo poo to win your vote.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

computer parts posted:

Yet mysteriously they all start voting in larger numbers after they reach the age of 30.

is it a mystery?

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010

My Imaginary GF posted:

the Ferguson strategy, I see

If you don't vote, nobody gonna do poo poo to win your vote.

I mean, nobody here is disputing that more young voter turnout would be good for young people. The issue is the perceived marginal benefit.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Lessail posted:

is it a mystery?

I mean not really, but presumably if no candidate represents your viewpoints then you would just disengage from voting all together.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

computer parts posted:

Yes, what a mystery - when you start caring about property tax and immigration-related job loss, there are suddenly people that represent your viewpoints. I'm surprised you find it mysterious that people's priorities change over the course of their lives.

Though then again, this is really the first generation with insane undergrad debt. I think that one will persist a bit.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Fried Chicken posted:

loving hell man

Called it in the OP, man.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

computer parts posted:

I mean not really, but presumably if no candidate represents your viewpoints then you would just disengage from voting all together.

Hey Democrats are making it so that the interest on my six-figure educational debt might come down half a point, they care!

Also the Democrat Supermajority state of california has increased my state school tuition by 40% but the GOP would be worse, go team blue!

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
Doesn't help that age range when a lack of stability hampers your ability to vote. If we are looking for a 'one size fits all' explanation we're going to be here a while.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Radbot posted:

Though then again, this is really the first generation with insane undergrad debt. I think that one will persist a bit.

Yeah, it will be interesting to see how politicians adjust to that one.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Radish posted:

Period monitoring will be their stopping point.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

computer parts posted:

I'm wondering if there has been actual polling or anything to look into why the number does get higher. Would be nice information to have if there hasn't been.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Zeitgueist posted:

Hey Democrats are making it so that the interest on my six-figure educational debt might come down half a point, they care!

Also the Democrat Supermajority state of california has increased my state school tuition by 40% but the GOP would be worse, go team blue!

Would you prefer the alternative and allow yourself to be imprisoned for failing to meet your 17% APR payments?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Zeitgueist posted:

NPR was essentially created to put leftist minority radio out of business.

Which it did, Pacifica is a joke these days.

Yes, they are, but their nightly news isn't completely awful yet (probably because half the reporting comes straight from FSRN)

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

DemeaninDemon posted:

Period monitoring will be their stopping point.

Hey life begins at fertilization and a bunch of fertilized eggs are discharged during menstruation.

What I'm saying is that we need to implement mass youth gymnastics programs.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

My Imaginary GF posted:

Would you prefer the alternative and allow yourself to be imprisoned for failing to meet your 17% APR payments?

Hahaha MIGF living the joke, as usual.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Gravel Gravy posted:

Doesn't help that age range when a lack of stability hampers your ability to vote. If we are looking for a 'one size fits all' explanation we're going to be here a while.

I don't know, personally I think the "feckless, trophy-for-all youth who love selfies and hate America" explanation holds just as much water as "I can't vote because my boss won't give me time off"

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Radbot posted:

OK so you are claiming that youth don't vote because "nobody represents [their] viewpoints" which is pretty comprehensively debunked by the chart you posted because you'd see more significant variation if that were the case. It's just that parties don't appeal to you so you've decided they don't appeal to all people like you.

Radbot posted:

I don't know, personally I think the "feckless, trophy-for-all youth who love selfies and hate America" explanation holds just as much water as "I can't vote because my boss won't give me time off"

Non-youth also have jobs.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

My Imaginary GF posted:

Precisely, just look at the legions of people imprisoned due to credit card debt. Look at them.

evilweasel posted:

OK so you are claiming that youth don't vote because "nobody represents [their] viewpoints" which is pretty comprehensively debunked by the chart you posted because you'd see more significant variation if that were the case. It's just that parties don't appeal to you so you've decided they don't appeal to all people like you.

I didn't claim poo poo. I'm asking a question based on my personal opinion as young(ish) person. Do you prefer "why do people say young people should vote when there's really no point in them doing so"?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Zeitgueist posted:

Hey life begins at fertilization and a bunch of fertilized eggs are discharged during menstruation.

What I'm saying is that we need to implement mass youth gymnastics programs.

"Miss your last menstruation contained a human. You are now being charged with murder."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Radbot posted:

Precisely, just look at the legions of people imprisoned due to credit card debt. Look at them.

You think the other side isn't in favor of debtor's prison?! Really? Have you followed nothing on privitized prisons and Republican congressional agenda?

• Locked thread