Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

kiimo posted:

First of all that doesn't mean you can't carry a movie, not carrying a movie means the box office suffers every time you're the lead. Second of all Paul Rudd made a living out of upstaging other leading actors for years. I'd say that has more to do with how the characters are written. Third of all Wanderlust is an example of him not getting upstaged, he was the only good thing about that movie in my opinion.

I liked I Love You Man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Slate Action posted:

Prince Avalanche.

I loved Prince Avalanche but Emile Hirsch definitely stole the show.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Ant-Man trailer way better than I expected meh ill watch it.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

I was already groaning at how serious the Ant-Man trailer was and when the "huh" came up I thought "Oh okay this is where they change the music up and acknowledge that a movie about Ant-Man is kind of silly" but then the music never stopped and it just kept the same tone and yeah no thanks.

A friend of mine linked this edit to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1RwmrUM_Vs

The change happens at 1:16 when the "Huh" happens. I probably would've been slightly more optimistic if this was the real thing.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Ghosthotel posted:

I was already groaning at how serious the Ant-Man trailer was and when the "huh" came up I thought "Oh okay this is where they change the music up and acknowledge that a movie about Ant-Man is kind of silly" but then the music never stopped and it just kept the same tone and yeah no thanks.

The change happens at 1:16 when the "Huh" happens. I probably would've been slightly more optimistic if this was the real thing.

1000% better.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Ghosthotel posted:

Huh, that actually works really well.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Well drat I want to see that movie

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Ghosthotel posted:

This is so much better. I remember first watching it and feeling uncomfortable that it just kept trying to be more serious. Ugh.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I really didn't like that the Ant-Man trailer used that same BOOM BOOM BOOM percussive thing that the Avengers 2 trailer used. The fixed trailer works much better, unless for some reason the movie is actually super serious, in which case, why?

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

Ghosthotel posted:

I feel like that gives the trailer a very Guardians of the Galaxy vibe. Maybe they want something different?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Why on Earth would you want something different than associating your new movie with your recent mega smash hit?

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
The edit and music is bad but its more-so how flat and dead everything looks. Everything lacks creativity or basic mise en scene, its just so ugly and basic. Thats something that cannot be fixed, barely any movement, generic shots, framing of shots is awkward.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
Why the gently caress is the set-up of Ant-Man Ant-Man having to save the world? That's stupid. That's what happens in pretty much every superhero movie, but I was excited for Ant-Man because the basic concept just screamed at me "oh, cool, it's going to be a comedy of some guy loving around for 90-120 minutes during which he might totally accidentally save the world". I understand that creativity and marketability are antonyms, but, just... why, Hollywood? What about this concept told you that you needed to make it more generic to sell it? Guardians Of The Galaxy didn't need to be made more generic. Were they different teams who had zero contact with each other? Do you think that if you make too interesting of a product, once, you'll burst into flames? I'll tell you a secret: I don't even loving like superhero movies most of the time. My favorite three superhero movies are The Incredibles, Mega Mind, and... I don't have a third one! Imagine that! But Ant-Man might have made me come see it. I still might, if the reviews reveal that the trailers were misleading. But gently caress you, Hollywood. No, let's get more specific: gently caress you Disney and gently caress you Marvel and gently caress you whatever individual decided to fire Edgar Wright.

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.
I'm really surprised MARVEL released that. It's obviously not good. There's not even a Honey I Shrunk The Kids, "look how big this grass is!" shot. Theres going to be lots of cool Normal things are so huge sets in this right?

edit: Someone should recut that trailer with HISTK clips

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Death By The Blues posted:

The edit and music is bad but its more-so how flat and dead everything looks. Everything lacks creativity or basic mise en scene, its just so ugly and basic. Thats something that cannot be fixed, barely any movement, generic shots, framing of shots is awkward.

It's funny that people actually assumed Peyton Reed would be able to bring any of his actual style to this movie, given how little time and input he had in pre-production and how everything has been rushed to make sure they hit the July 2015 date. It was such a weird, long shot hope to have that was obviously not going to happen considering they've found a way to flatten out the style of everyone before, and that's with those directors being around the whole entire time.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

feedmyleg posted:

Why on Earth would you want something different than associating your new movie with your recent mega smash hit?

I don't know, maybe they don't want all their movies to seem the same.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

twoot posted:

Big Game: POTUS Samuel L Jackson crashes in the Finnish wilderness and a boy has to protect him from terrorists

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdNg9kjtOU8

Looks fun.

I love this for so many reasons:

- Finland is I think in the Alps somewhere
- It's definitely a thing in Finland to send a kid with a bow and arrow into the forest by himself as a rite of passage, oh yes
- Playing "Hey I know that guy!" with both Finnish and British/American actors
- Bad guy is Russian with 99% certainty

I sure hope they're going with dubbing if they plan to make any money with this movie.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Ghosthotel posted:

Wow, it's amazing how just changing the music makes such a big difference. That's brilliant, and infinitely better. Still, everything about feels all so very generic from a visual standpoint though.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Ghosthotel posted:

I watched the first trailer yesterday and watched this edit just now. Everything is so forgettable/generic that I honestly couldn't tell you what's different.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

One of my really good friends from high school is in Ant Man. It makes me sad that it looks so forgettable.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

LaughMyselfTo posted:

Why the gently caress is the set-up of Ant-Man Ant-Man having to save the world? That's stupid. That's what happens in pretty much every superhero movie, but I was excited for Ant-Man because the basic concept just screamed at me "oh, cool, it's going to be a comedy of some guy loving around for 90-120 minutes during which he might totally accidentally save the world". I understand that creativity and marketability are antonyms, but, just... why, Hollywood? What about this concept told you that you needed to make it more generic to sell it? Guardians Of The Galaxy didn't need to be made more generic. Were they different teams who had zero contact with each other? Do you think that if you make too interesting of a product, once, you'll burst into flames? I'll tell you a secret: I don't even loving like superhero movies most of the time. My favorite three superhero movies are The Incredibles, Mega Mind, and... I don't have a third one! Imagine that! But Ant-Man might have made me come see it. I still might, if the reviews reveal that the trailers were misleading. But gently caress you, Hollywood. No, let's get more specific: gently caress you Disney and gently caress you Marvel and gently caress you whatever individual decided to fire Edgar Wright.

:agreed: That trailer is terrible. Marvel did the same thing with Iron Man 2, which made Favreau leave them and make his pouty chef movie.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

effectual posted:

:agreed: That trailer is terrible. Marvel did the same thing with Iron Man 2, which made Favreau leave them and make his pouty chef movie.

I liked the chef movie. It made me hungry though.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Antti posted:

- Bad guy is Russian with 99% certainty

Hoping its swedes. Its never the swedes :(

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Second Chappie trailer.

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/sony_pictures/chappie/

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

The poster put me off entirely. At least now I'm interested.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

I like how it's basically the Robocop remake, reversed - Hugh Jackman's evil guy wants to push human-controlled robots instead of the autonomous robot.

Looks super heavy handed, though. Sigourney Weaver didn't sound convinced spitting out her dramatic lines, and did Hugh Jackman just say "what in the name of the lord"?

It'll probably be fun, I just hope it surprises more than Elysium.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Has Hugh Jackman played the villain in a major movie before? I'm having a hard time thinking of one (though I guess he is in Pan later this year too). He looks suitably greasy for the role though.
Definitely get major RoboCop vibes from the second trailer, it's funny how different the tone is from the first one. And yeah I'm not exactly expecting a subtle movie but hopefully it's fun.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

colonel_korn posted:

Has Hugh Jackman played the villain in a major movie before? I'm having a hard time thinking of one (though I guess he is in Pan later this year too). He looks suitably greasy for the role though.

You can make an argument for The Prestige. He sure wasn't the hero, that's for sure.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

colonel_korn posted:

Definitely get major RoboCop vibes from the second trailer, it's funny how different the tone is from the first one. And yeah I'm not exactly expecting a subtle movie but hopefully it's fun.

He's playing Blackbeard in Pan this summer too. Maybe he's decided that 2015 is a good year to be bad.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

kiimo posted:

One of my really good friends from high school is in Ant Man. It makes me sad that it looks so forgettable.
I'm kind of optimistic for it, but that's because I have really low standards and Marvel movies always entertain me at least at one viewing.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

davidspackage posted:

I like how it's basically the Robocop remake, reversed - Hugh Jackman's evil guy wants to push human-controlled robots instead of the autonomous robot.

Looks super heavy handed, though. Sigourney Weaver didn't sound convinced spitting out her dramatic lines, and did Hugh Jackman just say "what in the name of the lord"?

It'll probably be fun, I just hope it surprises more than Elysium.

I'm without a doubt, convinced they used the Krugerbot they had planned to use for the climax to Elysium for Jackman's bipedal drone.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

If this movie doesn't have music from Die Antwoord in it I'm going to be loving pissed.

Ave Azaria
Oct 4, 2010

by Lowtax

Rurea posted:

If this movie doesn't have music from Die Antwoord in it I'm going to be loving pissed.

If they don't cover "Who's Johnny" I'm pissed.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I am gonna watch that movie

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

This is this generation's Short Circuit.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Oh man I really like Hugh Jackman, but I also really don't like Blomkamp anymore (btw lol at the Blomkampf typo earlier in this thread I think).

E: Especially Jackman with a mullet & an australian accent holy crap

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lmlXZ_-320

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Liam Neeson 2014 action movie trailer. No, not that one. Another one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNDWL7iIH8c

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

The MSJ posted:

Liam Neeson 2014 action movie trailer. No, not that one. Another one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNDWL7iIH8c

Directed by Jaume Collet-Serra, who worked with Neeson on Non-Stop. I liked that one, hopefully they have a better script this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

That's the one where Liam is a US marshal or whatever on a plane yeah? The plot was a complete mess but it was hells of entertaining regardless as long as you assume that the terrorist has told him not to make anyone aware of the plot.

• Locked thread