Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013
I've finally started getting Epic cards from the table--two support cards and a John Cena. This would be great, except I'm in Survivor tier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

BlueArmyMan posted:

Of course the Road to Glory main prizes are a pair of Roman Reigns Survivor cards.

The Roman Reigns cards are actually the PCC tier so they are significantly better than normal Survivor cards.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Testekill posted:

Nah, I was talking about the videos in your post. AKI were awesome at animating moves.
I love how much impact all the moves in AKI games had. :allears: When you murdered someone with a huge powerbomb or something, it was so satisfying. Hell, even knocking someone into the ringpost or the barricades was great.

The mocapped moves in Yukes' games were never as good as AKI's hand-animated ones, but at least they used to have some semblance of impact in the older games (I don't remember that being a problem in HCTP or SVR '06). At some point they apparently decided to :effort: the whole thing, because now the moves somehow look weaker than those in WWF Warzone.

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

IcePhoenix posted:

The Roman Reigns cards are actually the PCC tier so they are significantly better than normal Survivor cards.

My point is more that it's Roman Reigns as the top prize. Gotta make him look strong, and all that.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

BlueArmyMan posted:

My point is more that it's Roman Reigns as the top prize. Gotta make him look strong, and all that.

What about Ziggler and Ambrose (and Rollins even though he lost and isn't in the game I guess)?

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

IcePhoenix posted:

What about Ziggler and Ambrose (and Rollins even though he lost and isn't in the game I guess)?

Fair point there; it was just a bad attempt at a probably tired joke. Nothing more.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

BlueArmyMan posted:

Fair point there; it was just a bad attempt at a probably tired joke. Nothing more.

I mean to be fair you have a point, they put the top guys at the top of the game. Sting was the big prize recently, and they've gotta keep him hyped too. If they ever make a better-than-survivor Bray, Kane, or Taker I am going to have to spend actual money :(

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

Why cookie Rocket posted:

If they ever make a better-than-survivor Bray, Kane, or Taker I am going to have to spend actual money :(

I admit I dropped money for the PCC Stings, because they looked so drat cool.

Overall I'm liking RTG way more than regular PCC. The rewards feel more attainable, and the random team makeup for each match keeps it from being too much of an auto win or loss each time.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Did they remove the background animations for pro cards? On my game it looks like battery saving mode is on all the time, ever since they removed the Christmas decorations.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Minidust posted:

Did they remove the background animations for pro cards? On my game it looks like battery saving mode is on all the time, ever since they removed the Christmas decorations.

Apparently the only animated cards now are pro sv. I say "apparently" because I don't have any pro sv, just what I've heard.

Demp
Nov 5, 2003

GLORIOUS

Fumaofthelake posted:

Apparently the only animated cards now are pro sv. I say "apparently" because I don't have any pro sv, just what I've heard.

Yeah, my Pro Survivor Layla is the only card I have that animates now. Kind of a bummer.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Doc Morbid posted:

I love how much impact all the moves in AKI games had. :allears: When you murdered someone with a huge powerbomb or something, it was so satisfying. Hell, even knocking someone into the ringpost or the barricades was great.

The mocapped moves in Yukes' games were never as good as AKI's hand-animated ones, but at least they used to have some semblance of impact in the older games (I don't remember that being a problem in HCTP or SVR '06). At some point they apparently decided to :effort: the whole thing, because now the moves somehow look weaker than those in WWF Warzone.

I vaguely remember powerbombing people to the outside in an AKI game and it was amazing. Or it could have been an early Yukes.

Demp
Nov 5, 2003

GLORIOUS
Apparently the Pro cards not animating is a bug according to @NWGameDad on Twitter. They're working on it.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

coconono posted:

I vaguely remember powerbombing people to the outside in an AKI game and it was amazing. Or it could have been an early Yukes.

There's a powerbomb from apron to floor in No Mercy.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Shut your Mouth and Here Comes the Pain both had a big release powerbomb that if you lined it up right would throw people out of the ring/off a backstage ledge.

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

Snacksmaniac posted:

There's a powerbomb from apron to floor in No Mercy.

Pain in the rear end to pull off, too, if I remember right. You had to be in Special mode, and grapple someone who is on the inside while you're on the apron.

BlueArmyMan fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jan 7, 2015

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

projecthalaxy posted:

Shut your Mouth and Here Comes the Pain both had a big release powerbomb that if you lined it up right would throw people out of the ring/off a backstage ledge.
It also threw them through a table if you had one set up outside the ring, at least in Shut Your Mouth. Then they took that out because... uh, gently caress you or something.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

projecthalaxy posted:

Did they get rid of that? I could've sworn I had a CAW with a mostly-powerbombs moveset much more recently than that who had that Awesome Bomb as a finish.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

With how you guys are describing N64->Ps2 era wrestling games it sounds like WWE games have gotten significantly worse.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
Smackdown Vs Raw 2011 was the best because I could Tiger Suplex people through a ladder that was leaning against the second rope.

God drat the physics in that game were so great

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Kirios posted:

With how you guys are describing N64->Ps2 era wrestling games it sounds like WWE games have gotten significantly worse.

they have

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

There were a few points of hope in the ps2 era. Then...

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

HCTP is the peak of WWE games. Get a new roster save or just CAW all the dudes you want yourself, and off you go with good career mode and gameplay and MOVEZ~.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I still think No Mercy is a better multiplayer game, but HCTP is great.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Smackdown 2: Know Your Role was probably my favorite game. We had it setup in the dorms with 4 controllers. Would just go through the story mode with each of us taking a wrestler. The matchmaking in it is better than anything they've put out over the last 15 years.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

projecthalaxy posted:

HCTP is the peak of WWE games. Get a new roster save or just CAW all the dudes you want yourself, and off you go with good career mode and gameplay and MOVEZ~.
The first Smackdown vs. RAW was such a massive disappointment after the greatness that was HCTP. Why yes, let's make the career mode all about loving the divas and add terrible voice acting that sounds like it was recorded in a bathroom somewhere. Also, your opponents in the world title path (and every other path) are some jobbers like Matt Hardy and Garrison Cade, and the whole thing is like two hours long. We also have a new face/heel meter that is completely pointless (Want to make a high-flying guy who is a heel? Well gently caress you, only faces are allowed to do aerial moves without losing half their momentum), and QTEs before every match! Also, fewer CAW parts and moves! All that cool backstage poo poo you could do in the previous games is gone too! Jesus loving christ, that game was rear end. But hey, it had ~online multiplayer!~ Regular 1v1 and bra & panties matches only. Speaking of matches, those were much shorter than in HCTP because no one likes big epic main events or something.

At least SVR '06 was kind of a return to form, I think it's almost as good as HCTP. Then the new consoles came out and everything went to poo poo again.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Supercard Road to Glory has begun, so start burning off those fights

Demp
Nov 5, 2003

GLORIOUS
I usually play Supercard with the sound off so when I turned it back on just for the hell of it I was amazed by the Road to Glory theme song. I have been missing out, I guess.

"HEEEY. ROAD TO GLOOOORY"

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I really enjoy RTG. I was playing the PCS and got a useful pair of UR AJs out of it but it's such a grind. I just kind of forced myself to do it while watching tv. And I picked the UR Diva Pair at 50k ranking as a nice, easy marker I just had to maintain myself at without going crazy. But RTG is actually kind of fun. The random shuffles make it feel less like the same thing over and over and makes you think a tiny bit. It gives me a reason to train my 20th best pro. The 5-6 fights an hour is kind of the perfect amount to play in one sitting without it taking over my life and still cranks out a nice haul of picks.

This is actually kind of fun. I look forward to seeing how far my lowly SR+ deck can do and if I can get anywhere near those Survivor Reigns without spending money or losing sleep. Neither of which I've been willing to do which seems to hold me back in KotR and PCS.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

The advice for when you run into a wall for RtG is to try to abuse high-level manager cards as much as possible, due to their exponentially larger effect on bouts compared to everything else (tanking the rest of your deck's levels makes the managers even more relatively strong if you really want to cheese it and care nothing for exhibition picks). Also if you're going to buy title matches, use them on the earlygame +5 point matches to get through the easy stuff as fast as possible.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

flashy_mcflash posted:

Did they get rid of that? I could've sworn I had a CAW with a mostly-powerbombs moveset much more recently than that who had that Awesome Bomb as a finish.

In most of the early PS2-era games (HCTP, Shut Your Mouth, and so on), the game would detect when your move was going to throw a guy off a cell. So you could do things like jackknife a guy off the cell and watch him land on his neck. (In any event, you and your friends repeatedly pushing each other off the cell was the point of HIAC matches).

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

day of reckoning on gamecube had a really weird hell in a cell match because the way you got out was to literally throw your opponent into the cell wall until it collapsed

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

In most of the early PS2-era games (HCTP, Shut Your Mouth, and so on), the game would detect when your move was going to throw a guy off a cell. So you could do things like jackknife a guy off the cell and watch him land on his neck. (In any event, you and your friends repeatedly pushing each other off the cell was the point of HIAC matches).

Yep! No invisible wall and no ragdoll. Sure guys would fall while on their back with no selling what so ever, but damnit we had the freedom. Now HIACS are dull canned animation fests.

Remember when you could do back body drops and choke tosses out the ring in SD 1/2? Handy for Royal Rumbles.

They need to bring back the stupidly easy- but fun Royal Rumble mechanics from the first 3 games where a single slap could send you flying. These mini games are really crap, especially when you get instantly elimated because the AI can hit the marks with ease.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

If only they could include a move from FPWR where you can hurricanrana someone off the top rope to the outside. That was always a fun way to eliminate yourself and someone else.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

You guys are convincing me not to waste $50 on a new game and instead just plug my PS2 or N64 in and play No Mercy or HCTP.

Genericide
Jan 20, 2004

Which PS3 WWE game is most worth checking out, beyond 2K14? I'm looking for something cheap to kill a weekend.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Genericide posted:

Which PS3 WWE game is most worth checking out, beyond 2K14? I'm looking for something cheap to kill a weekend.

Fire Pro Wrestling Returns with the appropriate CAW set.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

I Before E posted:

Fire Pro Wrestling Returns with the appropriate CAW set.

Pretty much this. Not sure if you've ever played Fire pro, but don't scoff at it being a 2D waste of time. It is the purest and best wrestling game of the PS2/3.

2k14 is the best in terms of roster/ challenging AI and modes. Go with this.

If you liked the Attitude era get 2k13, which has a great focus with accurate graphics [rings, aprons, PPVS] and roster, but the AI is crap, and there is a game breaking glitch where the AI only kicks out at 1, or 3 [resulting in a win] so no suspense at all in matches.

I had this on the PS3 and there was random slowdown in some matches. Not your usual choppy frames, but actual slowdown, like slow-motion! Stupid.

Every other game is forgettable/not worth checking.

07 was the first new gen game, but was stripped down. I personally liked it, but going back would be horrible now, as it featured the rigid D-Pad movement system, rather than todays Analogue joystick movement.

08 was the ONLY wwe game I actually sold second hand, it introduced ridiculous limited fighting styles, and the roster was turd. RUBBISH.

09, I dont even remember - I think the newest feature of this iteration was the new hot-tag mechanic for tag matches, with usual THQ poop-shining hype. Yawn.

10 - No idea. Genuinely! Maybe the introduction of the Road to wrestlemania storyline mode? Or some crappy creation suite thing. No crowning features I can remember.

11 - The first game with 'predator tech' / physics. This had brilliant weapon physics for the first time, so you could powerbomb wrestlers onto weapons and they'd react dynamically. The future games from this title would scale down these physics, for reasons unknown!

12 - Randy orton on the cover! and reduced weapon physics. Can't remember what else.

13 - Attitude era, with the usual task-chasing matches in the 'story mode'

14 - 30 years of Wrestlemania with a great roster and good 'storymode' feature, even though the bullet list of tasks you has to do is such a crap gameplay feature which doesn't lend itself to anything. I would recommend this to any wrestling fan as the roster is so wide. 80s/90s wrestlers, attitude era, WCW and new gen wrestlers. And not including community creations to pad out the roster further, you have 100 custom slots.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

WWE13 leans hard on the Attitude era mode but it ends up with a cool roster (especially after DLC).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Is the Universe Mode in 2k15 any better than it was? Like is there some decent booking and variety in matches?